- Text Size +

Leah’s Point of View

The past two weeks at my house was quiet due to the face that Eden wasn’t talking to me or AJ. It was starting to get on my nerves. I understood she was mad, but she needed to get over it.

AJ walked in and handed me the mail. I looked through the bills and catalogs; at the bottom on the pile was an envelope addressed to Eden. I placed it on the counter and opened the phone bill.

“J, why have you been calling Nick and talking to him for three hours every night? I don’t remember you getting out of bed.” I questioned. This was rather odd.

“What are you talking about?” He walked over and looked over my shoulder at the phone bill.

“There are five calls to Nick that lasted from one to three in the morning. I see there are a few from the afternoon, too.”

“L-bug it wasn’t me. I was in bed with you. Plus I could never hold a two hour phone conversation with him.” He sat down beside me. “There’s only one other person here.”

“Why would Eden be calling him?” I did not like the idea of my daughter talking to Nick every night.

Eden chose that minute to walk through the door. She gave us a passing glance and went to get a drink from the refrigerator.

“Eden you have a package.” AJ told her. She grabbed the envelope and quickly opened it. Eden pulled out a brand new cell phone.

“When did you order that?” I asked my daughter. She wasn’t allowed to use the computer or talk on the phone when she was grounded. Her laptop was currently in my bedroom, so she had no access to the internet.

“It’s a gift.” She picked up the phone and started to leave.

“Wait a minute. Who was nice enough to buy you a new phone?” AJ interrogated.

Eden leaned against the counter looking pissed. She knew she was in trouble yet again. I waited for her to answer but she didn’t say anything.

“You have two choices Eden. The first choice is to tell us and we talk about it. The second choice is we take the phone and you’re grounded for another two weeks.”

She thought about it for a few minutes. “Fine. Nick bought it for me.”

“Why would Nick buy you a phone? I didn’t even know that he talked to you.” I remarked. Eden was walking a fine line. She looked away. AJ was right about her late night calls.

“Umm…we’ve been talking on the phone.”

“Eden, you’re grounded which means you are not supposed to be talking on the phone.” I reminded her. She seemed to forget that she had to follow the rules.

“Mom, seeing how I have no one to talk to about my shitty life I called Nick a few times. I don’t see what the big deal is.” She got defensive. We couldn’t have a conversation without her attitude. If she kept this up the next few years were going to be hell.

“Eden go to your room. Your mom and I need to talk. We’ll be up in a bit to talk to you.” AJ instructed. Eden quickly made an exit.

“What are we going to do?” I asked AJ.

“She does make a point.” I gave him a look. “Leah, she’s pissed at us. It makes sense that she wants to talk to someone. I would worry if she held it all in.”

“Then why didn’t she call a friend.” I countered back.

“Do you really think this is something she wants to share with her friends? She embarrassed by us. Think back to when you were fourteen. There’s no way she wants to talk about her parents having sex.” Damn AJ for having common sense. He was able to understand Eden’s anger and hurt better than I could.

“No, but do we really want her talking to Nick?” I stood up and started pacing.

“He’s always been good with Eden. I don’t think he would he would steer her in the wrong direction.” 

“I think we need to talk to him. He shouldn’t have just bought her a phone without asking us.” I was pissed at Nick.

AJ dialed his number and put it on speaker phone. It rang couple of times before he picked up.

“Nick Carter speaking.”

“Hey Nick. What’s up man?” AJ replied smoothly. I was ready to pounce on Nick Carter.

“Why in the hell did you buy Eden a cell phone?” I yelled.

“Well hello, there Leah. How are you?”

“Don’t play cute with me. I want to know what’s going on.”

“Leah, baby calm down.” AJ whispered as he placed a hand on my stomach. I took a deep breath trying to get myself to relax.

“She told that her phone was broke and being the nice guy I am I ordered her a new one.”

“You could have asked us first.” I told him.

“Sorry. I will do that next time.”

“How long have you been talking?” AJ asked playing with his shirt.

“Since she caught you two together. Eden was upset and needed someone to talk to about it.”

“I hope you’re not telling her the wrong things.” I tried using my breathing techniques.

“Believe me I haven’t. I tell her every day that things happen for a reason and how she needs you both in her life. Is she talking to you yet?”

“A little, but not a real conversation. I’m glad Eden is talking to someone about her feelings. Thanks Nick.”

“You’re welcome.”

AJ pressed end and we sat there looking at each other. AJ seemed fine with Eden talking to Nick. I wasn’t so sure, but I was going to trust AJ’s instincts.

“So what should we do?” I asked him.

“I think we let her keep the phone and continue talking to Nick. I really don’t want to fight with her about everything. It’s not good for your health.” He moved closer to me. His hands were rubbing my belly. I moved close enough where I could snuggle against his chest.

“I think we need to set a few ground rules if we let her talk to Nick.”

“Like what?”

“Well she has to have at least one civil conversation with us each day and she can only have the phone when we permit her to.” I wanted to keep this situation under wraps. Nick was a good guy, but could charm the socks off of anyone. I didn’t want Eden getting hurt over Nick’s charm.

“That sounds good to me.” He kissed the top of my head. “Can we forget about that for a while and concentrate on us.” AJ smiled at me and I brought my mouth to his. His kisses never got old. Each kiss was new and different. Some were filled with lust and other with love. I was never happier than when I was in his arms.

AJ maneuvered me along the wall. He broke the space between us. I could his breath on my face and his heart beating against my chest. I licked my lips before his came crashing down on mine. I arched my back placing my breast on his chest.

“Damn Leah, I want you.”

“Alex, we’re in the kitchen. Eden could walk in at any time.” I giggled.

“Yes Eden can walk in at any time.” She mimicked. We broke apart. “Did you talk to Nick?”

Something about the way she said his name made me leery about these phone conversations. I think my daughter was developing a crush on Nick. I know there were tons on girls her age in love with him, but she actually knew him so to me it was different.

“Yes, we did.” AJ took an apple of the counter and took a big bite.

“We decided that you can talk to him, but you have to have at least one civil conversation with us. We’ll keep your phone when you aren’t talking to Nick.”

Eden thought about it for a few minutes. I could tell she was weighing the pros and cons. “I can handle that. Is it okay if I call him now?”

“Go ahead, sweetheart. Bring your phone down when you’re done.” AJ gave her permission.