- Text Size +

Leah’s Point of View

“Good morning Eden.” I sipped my orange juice.

“Yeah.” She grabbed a bowl and a box of Cheerios.

“How are things with Nick?” I questioned my daughter. I was curious to see if she would share any information with me.

“Nick is fine. He’s got a new girlfriend.”

“What’s her name?” I inquired. I loved gossip even if I had to get it from a fourteen year old.

“Her name is Sarah Chambers.”

My stomach started doing flip flops. I was tired of the morning sickness. I placed my glass on the counter and ran to the bathroom. I made it just in time. After I was done being sick, I flushed the toilet and just sat on the floor trying to catch my breath.

“Mom are you okay?” Eden’s face was filled with worry. I looked up at her. She didn’t seem mad at me anymore, but I’m sure when she finds out about the baby that will change.

“Yes, sweetie. I’m fine.”

She sat down on the floor beside me. “You’ve been sick a while now. You got me worried.”

“Aren’t you still mad at me?” I breathed in and out, calming myself.

“Mom, I’m still upset, but maybe I was a little too harsh. It was shocking. I thought you and Brian were going to be together forever.” My daughter shared honestly.

“Three months ago I would have thought the same thing. I did love Brian, but it wasn’t the right kind of love.”

“Did you ever stop loving dad, like when you broke up?” Eden leaned against me.

“I loved your dad since the first time I met him. Even when I wasn’t with him, I loved him.”

“Mom, why is love so hard? I mean all I see is everyone hurting each other. I think love kind of sucks.”

“Love is the best and most wonderful thing.” AJ walked into the bathroom. “I wouldn’t trade it.”

“Dad, but look at all the bad things that happen. No one ever seems happy.” Eden questioned again.

“Baby girl, love is hard. Life gets in the way. It causes people to fight and say things they don’t mean. Love takes a lot of work.”  AJ explained as he squeezed my hand.

“I don’t want to fall in love.” Eden said seriously. “It’s not worth it.”

“When you find the man of your dreams, you’ll change your mind. You’ll be willing to fight for that love.” My heart was hurting for my little girl. It was disheartening that my teenager was jaded when it came to love.

“Well, I’m kind of glad that you won’t be dating ever. It makes my life so much easier.” AJ teased. 

“Dad.” Eden rolled her eyes. I don’t blame her. He could be so lame at times. “Mom, are you sure you’re okay? I’m worried about you.”

AJ and I looked at each other. I guess now was a good time as any to tell Eden about the baby. My hope was that she didn’t throw a fit. I couldn’t take much more stress.

“Eden, I’m pregnant.”  I waited for a reaction. Eden looked at me and then her dad.

“Are you for real?” She forced her word out. Eden didn’t look pleased. “I don’t know what to think. I’m in shock. I need time to comprehend this.” She left the bathroom.

“That went well.” I sighed as I got up.

“At least she didn’t throw a fit.” AJ attempted to make me feel better.

“That’s true.” I faked a smile. Hopefully things would get better in the near future.

------------------------------------------

Eden hit speed dial. She needed to talk to Nick. Her thoughts were jumbled and confusion was setting into her brain.

“Hello, Eden. What’s up?”

“Mom’s pregnant.” Eden sat in her window seat watching the neighbors chase their toddler.

“Wow. I didn’t know. How do you feel about that?” He asked softly.

“I don’t know how I feel.” She wiped the tears from her face. “It just seems to make things more complicated.”

“How so?”

“It’s just another punch in the gut for Brian. He’s always wanted kids, but he and mom never did have any. Now she’s pregnant with dad’s baby. Then, I wonder if mom and dad are only together because of the baby.”

“Edy, I know you care about Brian, but he will get over this. It’s going to take time, but he will come out stronger. You got to believe that.” Nick stopped to gather the rest of his thoughts. “Your mom and dad love each other. Just look at them together, you’ll see it. Your mom and dad wouldn’t be together just because of a baby.”

“If you say so. Personally I think love sucks.” She sighed. Eden knew she could tell Nick things that she would never tell anyone else. He never judged her or made fun of her. He was a great guy. “I don’t plan on falling in love and I’m never having sex.”

“Edy Beady, don’t say never. I can’t see you living your life along or becoming a nun.” He joked. “Love is hard, but so worth it. You’re young and will make plenty of mistakes. We’ve all been there.”

“I won’t make any mistakes because I’m not going to allow myself to be in that situation.”  She countered.

“Tell me that when you’re nineteen. Eden you are a beautiful young woman and in time you will want a handsome guy to love you. You’ll be surprised what you are willing to do for love.” Eden’s heart fluttered when Nick called her beautiful. It made her feel special that a guy would say that to her.

“Nick, I need to go. Thanks for the chat. I’ll talk to you soon.”  She ended the call and fell to her bed daydreaming about a certain man.

--------------------------

“Why don’t you have a TV in your room?” AJ asked as he sat in bed rifling through a fashion magazine.

“Because the bedroom is not for watching television.” I smiled. I finished picking up the clothes around the room and put them in the hamper.

“What’s the bedroom for?” He threw the magazine on the nightstand.

“Umm….sleeping.” I giggled as I hopped into bed. I snuggled under the covers like I was going to sleep.

AJ tickled my sides and placed a kiss on my cheek. My eyes fluttered as I rolled him onto his back. Our lips met in a sweet kiss that lasted for a few minutes.

“I love you Alexander James, but you’re not getting lucky tonight.” I told him sweetly.

“What do you mean?” He looked stunned. I wanted to laugh at his expression.

“I’m exhausted and will probably fall asleep with you inside me. I promise that tomorrow when Eden is at Arria’s party we can make love.” I kissed his forehead, then his nose, and lastly his mouth. Then I rolled off of him and turned off the light.

“That’s a promise you better keep.” AJ wrapped his arms around me, and we snuggled close together.