- Text Size +

Leah’s Point of View

Glancing at the clock I realized that I still had two hours of work. All I wanted to do was get home and see my loved ones. Their flight was due any minute. I was distracted with dirty thoughts about AJ. It had been a week since I was with him and I was horny. I could blame it on the hormones, but it had nothing to do with them, I just wanted him in my bed.

My office door opened. I didn’t glance up from my computer thinking it was my secretary. I just wanted to finish this report and get the hell out.

“Are you so into your work that you can’t look at the sexiest man in your life?” AJ teased as he stood in front of my desk. I jumped up and ran around to him.

“What are you doing here?” I hugged him and pulled him in close to me for a kiss.

“We took an earlier flight home. I missed you.”

“I’m glad you’re back. Where’s Eden?”

“She is spending the night at Arria’s because I’m taking you to dinner. Then we are going to go home, and I’m going to ravish your body with my tongue, just like I planned.” AJ licked up to my ear. My body shuddered against his. I wanted him at this exact moment. “How long until you finish?”

“I think I’m done now. With you here I won’t be able to concentrate.” I went behind my desk to shut down the computer and get my purse. Then we made our way out.

---------------------

AJ and I went to a little Italian restaurant for dinner. We sat in a tiny booth cuddling together.

“Do you want to go to my doctor appointment Monday?” I bit into a breadstick.

“Of course. I want to be there every step of the way.  I hate that I had to miss so much with Eden.”

“Sweetheart, you couldn’t control your schedule back then. Don’t feel guilty about. Eden is a beautiful, healthy young woman. Things are good between you now.” I smiled at him.

“Yeah, you’re right.” He sipped his drink. “We had a couple of heart to heart chats this past week.”

“I’m glad she’s finally talking. This has been so hard on her.”

“She’s coming around. Eden said she’s excited about the baby. She is torn about the whole Brian thing. I feel bad, and I’ve told her that she can call him any time. I know they were close.”

I leaned into him. I was glad that we were on the same page when it came to Eden’s relationship with Brian. Our relationship was different this time around. We understood each other and there was a peacefulness to it. We didn’t fight about anything. Sure we didn’t always agree, but we talked about it.

“I think it’s natural. She’s starting to like boys and looking at relationships differently. We’re supposed to be her role models and to her, we’re pretty fucked up.” I explained my thoughts on the situation.  “She sees things black and white. In her eyes she sees cheating and a man she cares for with a broken heart. From her point of view it’s pretty bad. When she’s older and in love Eden will understand.”

AJ groaned at my last comment. “I don’t want that day to come for a long time. Eden’s young. I want her to get a good education and a career before she falls in love.”

“She’ll be thirty by that time. I think it’s sweet that you’re so protective of her.” I patted his arm. Eden was beautiful. There was no way she would wait that long to find a nice guy.

“I don’t like this whole growing up thing.” He pouted as I sat up and the waitress brought our food.

“Neither do I, but she’s a good girl. I think back to when I was fourteen. Eden is an angel compared to me.  I’m glad I got my head on straight when it came to raising her.”

“Leah, you can’t change your past. It made you the wonderful woman you are today. Eden has turned out fine. This baby will turn out just as wonderful.” AJ kissed my hand.

“Do you want a boy or a girl?” I asked curiously as I dug into my lasagna.

“Well since we already have a daughter.  I would love a son, but another daughter would be perfect, too.”

“I’m so excited about this baby.”

“Me, too.” AJ smiled.

--------------

AJ was softly snoring, as I cuddled against him. We had made love all evening and we’re exhausted. I couldn’t sleep due to the damn morning sickness that happened day and night. That was the only thing that I hated about my pregnancy. I was thinking about baby names when my cell phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Leah, its Brian.” What the hell was he calling for this late at night? I looked at the clock it was only ten thirty.

“What’s up?” I asked warily.

“I’m on my way to pick up Eden.”

I stood up and put on my robe. Then I quickly made my way into the hallway. “What’s wrong? Is everything okay?” I was starting to panic.

“Yeah Eden is fine. Apparently some of the girls at the slumber party decided it would be fun to drink and smoke weed. She wasn’t comfortable with it, so she called and asked me to pick her up.”

“Thanks, Brian. Why didn’t she call home?” I stopped pacing and went downstairs.

“She said that you and AJ were having a romantic night and she didn’t want to interrupt.” He said dejectedly.

“Thank you for getting her. I’m sorry.” I apologized, as I heated water for tea.

“It’s not a problem. We’ll be there in about twenty minutes.”

“Thanks, again.” I clicked my phone shut.

I made my tea and then sat on the couch waiting for my daughter to arrive. It was twenty minutes of pure hell. I didn’t have the heart to wake up AJ. Finally I heard Brian’s car pull up.  A few minutes later Eden walked in her eyes filled with tears.

“Eden, what happened? Where’s Brian?”

“He dropped me off. I don’t think he wanted to come in.” She sat down beside me. “Mom it was awful. Arria’s changed since the end of the school year. She invited this group of girls from school.” She started to cry.

I pulled her in close to me and let her cry. It broke my heart to see her this upset. A few minutes later her tears turned into sniffles.

“Mom, I’m sorry.”

“For what, sweetie?” I rubbed her back.

“I didn’t mean to ruin your romantic evening with dad.”

“Your dad is snoring like a bear. That’s so unromantic. You didn’t ruin anything, Eden. You could have called us.” I wanted her to realize that she was more important than a romantic evening. “Tell me about it.”

“Arria invited this group of girls from school. They like to party and have sex with random guys. She used to hate them and how they acted.  When I got there everything was fine.” She paused. “Then they came over and Arria tells me that we were going to a party at this guy’s house. He’s a senior. I told her that I wasn’t allowed to go. She laughed and called me a baby. The others girls started laughing and teasing me.”

“Eden, that’s horrible. I’m sorry it happened. You don’t deserve to be treated that way.” I remained calm, but inside I was pissed.

“Then they told me that Xavier was using me, and that all he wanted was to get into my pants. Then as they were getting ready the started drinking and doing weed. I grabbed my stuff and called Brian to pick me up. I’m such a loser.”

“Baby girl, you’re not a loser.” AJ walked in and sat down on the coffee table. “I’m proud of you for doing the right thing.”

“Dad, I’m the loser girl now.”

“Take it from me. I’ve done a lot of shit I’m not proud of in the name of being cool. None of those people are around today.” He pulled Eden in for a hug. “It’s hard to make the right decision. I’m proud of you.”

“It sucks dad. I’m going to be the laughing stock of the high school and I’m only a freshman.” She complained dramatically.

“Eden Jamieson it’s a huge school. Arria won’t even be in your classes. You’ll make new friends. Maybe that’s what you need. A fresh start with new friends.”

“I guess. I’m going to bed. Night mom. Night dad.” She gave us both hugs and went upstairs.

AJ moved next to me on the couch. I snugged up next to him. “Being a teenager sucks. I’m glad I don’t have to do that again.”

“I agree. Eden’s a tough girl. She’ll get over it. How did she get home?” He started playing with my hair.

“Brian.” I played with the bottom of his shirt. “I’m thankful she called someone to pick her up.”

“That shows maturity. She’s really growing up. Can’t we freeze her and keep her fourteen forever?” AJ asked.

“As much as I’d love to, we can’t. She’s got a good head on her shoulders. She’ll be fine. We’ve brought her up right. Eden proved she knows right from wrong.” I kissed his cheek.

“I love you Leah” He kissed me sweetly.

“I love you Alex.” We headed back to bed. Things would be better in the morning.