- Text Size +

AJ’s Point Of View

“Brian, he handled himself really well with Eden today.” Leah whispered. “He has the potential of being a great father.”

“Handling things one time doesn’t make him father of the year.” Brian commented bitterly.

“Geesh, Brian what’s got you?” Leah didn’t get why Brian was getting such an attitude about AJ.

“It’s just like ever since you got here it’s been all about him.”

“I’m here for my daughter. I’m sorry if that includes AJ. I can’t believe you’re jealous.” She raised her voice.

“I’m not jealous.” He defended himself. Leah had enough; she got up and went out on the balcony.

I was sitting on the balcony trying to relax and smoke a cigarette, when Leah came out in a huff. She looked pissed, but that was nothing new. I hoped she wasn’t coming to rip me a new asshole. We are almost getting along. She sat down next to me.

“Is everything okay?” I asked peering over my sunglasses.

“Everything is just peachy keen.”

“It sounds like it by the tone of your voice. Why aren’t you with Brian? Don’t you have to finish planning the wedding?”

“He’s the reason I’m out here. Brian’s being a jealous prick at the moment.” She took my cigarette and took a few puffs. Then she handed it back.

“What does he have to be jealous about?” I couldn’t figure that man out. He had everything he could possibly want in his life. Brian had the perfect woman, a great step-daughter, nice house, and great career. I should be the jealous one. He had everything I wanted. Hello, I was jealous of the bastard.

Brian and I used to be really close, until he started dating Leah. Then our friendship stopped existing.

 

 New Year’s Eve 2007

“Edy is growing up so fast. I can’t believe she’s ten.” Nick made small talk with me.

“Yeah, but she acts like she’s sixteen.” I smiled. My daughter was the sweetest girl in the world.

“Wait until she starts liking boys.”

“I’m sending her to a convent.” I joked. I looked away from Nick for a moment. I spotted Brian coming in with Leah. What the fuck? What was she doing here? Why was she walking in on Brian’s arm? I was pissed.

Leah looked absolutely fuckable. She was wearing a red strapless sequined knee length dress with sexy red stilettos. Her dark hair was done in soft curls. She had the biggest smile on her face. Leah looked really happy.

I attempted to avoid her and Brian almost the entire night. It was easy to do since they were so wrapped up in each other. I, on the other hand sat at the bar drinking way to much Jack Daniels. Not the smartest thing for an alcoholic to do. At least it made me numb from what I was feeling. I wanted to ram my fist down Brian’s throat. I was insanely jealous and confused.

Leah walked up to the bar. She smelled heavenly. I would have had sex with her right there if she let me.

“Hey Age! I didn’t know you were attending the party. I haven’t seen you all evening.”

“That’s cause you are to busy with Brian.”

“Yeah about that.” She rested against the bar.

“God Leah, I don’t even know what to say. I mean how, when.”I was honestly still in shock.

“We’ve been dating for about six months.”

“Six fucking months and you couldn’t find time to tell me.” I snarled. My heart was breaking again because of her.

“I didn’t know I had to tell you.”

“When it affects our daughter I have a right to know.”

“So you mean you need to tell me every time you fuck a groupie I need to know.” She countered.

“I don’t fuck around with groupies anymore. I’ve changed.” I defended myself. Hell, it had been almost a year since I had sex.

“Clearly you haven’t.” Leah looked at my drink with disgust.

“You’re the reason I need my friend Jack.” I picked up my glass and took a swig. “You make me feel things I haven’t in a long time.” I place my hand on my erection. Quickly she moves her hand away.

“How dare you? I’m the happiest I’ve been in my life. Please don’t ruin this for me. Brian is good for me.” She pleaded.

“Is it serious?”

“Yes. He’s moving in with us when we get back to Atlanta.”

“And you act like this doesn’t concern me. How does Eden feel about this?” Damn Leah, she always did what she wanted. I was feeling like I was being replaced at Eden’s father.

“She gets along great with Brian. They’re very close.” Leah smiled.

“Great fuckballs. You’re not only trying to replace me in your heart. You are trying to make Eden forget about me. Go to hell, Leah!” I was out of this lame ass party.

 

“He’s jealous because I complimented you on how well you handled things with Eden.”

“I can’t believe he would be jealous of that. I was just trying to be a good dad. Hell, he knows he’s better at things with Eden then I am.”

“It’s not like that, Age.” She touched my hand. “Eden loves you. You’re always going to be her dad.”

“She tolerates me. Eden is so much closer to Brian. Hell she spends more time with him on tour.” I commented wistfully.

“But whose fault is that?” Leah gave me a pointed look.

“I fucking know it’s my fault. I’ve screwed up when it comes to Eden. I want to change it, but I’m afraid it’s to effin’ late.”

“Give her time. She’ll come around.” Leah gave me a sad look. I was starting to realize that it was my own fault my daughter wanted nothing to do with me. I was afraid that I had nothing to offer her. Now I was regretting my choices. I knew I could change, but would Eden be willing to accept me in her life.

“I hope so. I’ve made a lot of bad choices in my life. Things I wish I could change.” I shifted in my seat so I was facing Leah.

“I’ve been there myself.” She started rubbing my arm. Leah loved to touch people when she was talking.

“Do you regret us?” I asked. I wanted to know that truth.

“No, I don’t regret our relationship. You gave me Eden.” She gave me the answer I knew she would give. Her safety was always Eden when it came to me.

“Besides Eden, do you regret being with me?”  Leah sat there with her eyes closed. I knew she was figuring out how she wanted to answer the question.

“Age, there are things about us that I regret and things  I don’t, but overall our relationship made me who I am today. I like who I am today, so I guess I don’t regret it.” She traced my tattoos with her index finger. It gave me chills.

“I get what you’re saying. What do you regret about….”

“Leah, I need you. Can you come here?” Brian called out.

“I need to go, Age.” She placed a kiss on my cheek. “I enjoyed chatting with you.” She got up and left.

Damn Brian. It was the first time I got Leah to talk about our relationship since it ended ten years ago. So many things were left unsaid. Leah didn’t like to talk about our past for some reason. I needed the closure because I needed to move on.