- Text Size +

 

What is this place?

Pain and fear and confusion came instead of an answer. He was lost, nothing made sense. He felt there was something he should do, should know… but all was vague and murky. Panic gripped him.

He was on fire, though he could not see the flames. He felt hands, terrible grasping hands pulling at him, trying to take him where he did not want to go. He cried out in fear, trying to escape, but horrible shadows surrounded him and blocked the way. If only he could reach the coolness, the safe place...

*******

A sudden, abrupt cold, like a giant wave crashing over him. Darkness, deep and cool and heavy, pressed down on him. A stillness followed, welcome after the chaos; he huddled in the void, grateful for the peace.

Time had little meaning. Eventually… a minute? a day?…images began forming around him. At first it seemed like he was watching a movie, until suddenly it pulled him in, and he was no longer seeing it, he was part of it all… sights, and sounds, and…

*******

The road was wet, the headlights shining on the surface. It had been a long day, and all he wanted to do was to drop Howie off and get home. He slowed the car five miles an hour below the speed limit -no sense in unnecessary risks- and turned the radio on. Just for a second he glanced at the dial, adjusting the signal and asking Howie if he had any particular preference. When he looked up again he saw headlights coming towards him, fast. He veered to the right, not two seconds before the other car shifted left. The two vehicles missed by scant inches, but before he could feel any relief his car began slipping sickeningly on the wet roadway. There was a flash, a tall shape illuminated by the car’s headlights, then the sound of shattering glass and anguished metal. Pain, intense beyond description, came all at once, pushing him into darkness…

*******

He awoke with a jolt. He was breathing rapidly in reaction to the nightmare and it took a moment for his vision to adjust. A figure was nearby, but it was hard to see in the dim light. For a second, it looked exactly like…

Kristen?”

For a second he thought he was still dreaming until she touched his arm and spoke.

"Kevin, thank God," she said, her voice thick with emotion. She hugged him carefully, tears glistening on her cheeks. “How do you feel, honey?”

"Had... I had a dream. A... nightmare. I..." He stopped, trying to sort the experience out.

She brushed back some hair from his forehead and said, "You’ve had a fever for a couple of days and were delirious for a while. Do you remember any of it?"

"Delirious?" That would explain things. "Yes. I feel... not so strong."

"The fever broke last night, and we’ve been waiting for you to wake up since then."

"You’ve been here…" He processed what she had said, slowly. “Days?”

"Yes,” she assured him. “Everyone’s been trying to make me leave and get some rest, but I… I couldn’t go." Fresh tears came to her eyes all at once and she grasped his arm tighter. "Oh, God... I was so afraid you weren’t going to make it! I couldn’t bear the thought of losing you!"

"Losing me?" he said, wondering at her intensity.

"Everyone was so worried, even the doctors. Oh, Kevin, there was some internal bleeding that they couldn’t detect right away. When you got so feverish, they did some more tests and found what was wrong… You were in surgery for almost two hours," she continued. “I got here just before they took you up.” She sniffed. “They said the surgery was a huge risk, but it was your only chance. They said you’d been showing signs of fighting the fever, and that was a good indication you had a strong will to survive. But even when the surgery was done, the fever didn’t stop. I was s-so worried, I…” She stopped, tears choking out her words.

Awkwardly, he reached up a hand and stroked her hair. She composed herself after a minute and took his hand in her own. Holding it delicately, she kissed his palm and looked deeply into his eyes.

"I know it’s selfish but I need you in my life, Kev. I need someone I can share my dreams and hopes and love with. I’ve never been so scared. I thought you were going to leave me!"

"I’ll always be here for you, Kris," he declared with all the strength he could conjure. "I’m not going… anywhere."

She leaned forward and kissed his forehead. “I have to get the doctor, they wanted to know when you woke up. I’ll be right back, honey.”

Kevin closed his eyes and tried to calm his confusing thoughts. A while later the doctor came in with a nurse and gave him a quick examination.

“Kevin, you’re going to be just fine,” she said confidently. “You’ll need to get as much rest as you can, but I believe the immediate danger is gone. Between your tenacious will to live and the love and support of your family, I think you’ve got this thing beat for good. I’ll give them the happy news when I’m finished…”

The doctor stopped talking when she realized Kevin had fallen asleep once again. Thankfully, it was a normal sleep; the medical team had had to work hard to get his fever down, and they would be relieved to hear of their unqualified success. She made entries on his chart and sighed. While the most critical part was over, he had a lot more trials to endure. With the damage to his leg, he’d be laid up for seven weeks, at least. His ribs were healing fine, but they would be painful for quite a while. Then there was the surgical site, not to mention the extreme stress on his immune system…

From the five days she’d been his doctor, she had learned a lot about Kevin Richardson through his family and friends. Recovery and therapy for such an active, involved man would not be easy; it would require patience, perseverance, and a lot of rest. She grinned. With his four ‘brothers’ and his wife, she was sure he’d get the rest, or else.

Kristen caught the doctor’s attention the minute the woman exited the room.

“How is he?” she asked apprehensively.

"Kevin’s fine. He’s sleeping now, a normal sleep."

“So, he’ll be okay?”

"He’ll be just fine if he does what he’s supposed to do. He’s out of danger, yes. I’m thinking he’ll be released, barring complications, by the end of the week. But then the real trial begins.”

Worried eyes grew wide. “What trial?”

“Kevin will have to recover for 7 to 8 weeks, a lot of that time needing to be spent off his feet. He’ll need to rest, often, and take it easy for at least that long.”

“Oh wow. You’re right, that will be a trial. Kev hates being incapacitated.” She grinned and rolled her eyes. “I don’t suppose you’d write a prescription for tranquilizers?”

“I’ll be sending along some painkillers but I wouldn’t advise any tranquilizers for Kevin unless-”

Kris laughed. “No, I meant for me!”

Dr. Meyers smiled broadly and patted the younger woman on the arm. “You’ll do fine. He’s sleeping right now but you’re welcome to go back in if you like. Now, do you know where the others are? I promised Kevin that I’d tell everyone the good news.”

“Howie and AJ stepped out to get us all lunch,” Kris said. “I can tell them when they get here. I’m not sure where Brian or Nick went.”

“All right, if I see them I’ll let them know.” Without delay, the doctor continued on with her duties.

With a silent prayer of thanks, Kristen stepped back into the room, looking forward to spending as much time with her beloved as possible, even if he was asleep.

*******

The doctor didn’t have to go far before she found the two young men she needed to speak to. They were hovered over some kind of card game in the waiting lounge, neither seeming all that interested in what they were doing. Before she caught their attention, she took a second to note how incredibly exhausted they both looked. Indeed, none of Kevin’s group had strayed far from his side, and she could only marvel at their loyalty and love. For the first time in days, she was eager to give them news.

“Brian, Nick?” she called as she strode towards them. Both Boys snapped their gazes her way and, as one, came to their feet while cards scattered to the floor.

She held up a hand against their panicked expressions and gave them a heartfelt, genuine smile. “I just left Kevin. He woke up while Kristen was there just a few minutes ago.”

“What?” asked Brian, unsure he’d heard right.

“Kevin’s awake?” Nick cried almost at the same time, not daring to believe the words.

“He was awake, I talked to him briefly. He fell into a normal sleep before too much time had passed, which is exactly what he needs now. Lots and lots of rest and time to heal.”

“Can we see him?” Nick asked, his azure eyes wide with hope.

“Absolutely,” she said.

The tall blond looked as if he wanted to either shout with joy or burst into tears. A mix of emotions crossed his face and, in an unexpected move, he stepped forward and gave the doctor a huge, intense hug. She returned it, patting his back as he clung to her.

“Thanks, d-doc,” he said in a shaky voice.

“You’re welcome,” she said, her gray eyes shining in reaction. She stepped back and grinned up at him. “He’s a born fighter,” she told them. “And he’s lucky to have such wonderful friends and family supporting him along the way.”

“Still,” Brian said, stepping up to give her a hug of his own, “we owe you a lot.”

“Seeing Kevin walk out of this hospital will be payment enough. Now, go on and visit… even if he’s asleep, I’m sure Kristen would love to see you.”

The two wasted no more time and practically ran down the hall, entering the room with joy for the first time in five days.

*******

Nick volunteered to make the call to management; not only did he want to share the good news, he also had a special request to make. Once things were taken care of, he joined the others in Kevin’s room.

Happily, he found the oldest Boy awake again. Kevin had been drifting back to sleep with less frequency as the day had worn on; the doctor was more than pleased with his progress. Nick stood off to the side, unnoticed, as he took in the general good mood around him. Kevin’s eyes were lit with amusement as Brian told some tale from their childhood; Kristen’s smile was genuine as she held her husband’s hand in her own. AJ was adding his own humorous comments into the story, despite the fact that he had nothing to do with the incident. And Howie…

His expression was, finally, free of guilt and worry. When Kevin had woken the second time, they had all been present; once he got his bearings, his first question was about Howie. Kevin’s obvious concern, and subsequent relief that his brother was okay, had erased any doubts Howie had harbored. Once he’d understood that Kevin, himself, held no blame, he was able to let his anxiety go for good. It was a change that everyone noticed, and was grateful for.

 

Emerald eyes spied the silent figure at the edge of the room.

“Hey, Nicky,” Kevin said with a smile. “Just in time to interrupt a totally false and ridiculous story…”

“I’m telling you, it was true!” Brian insisted. “I saw Kev put sugar in the salt shaker, I swear it! Everyone blamed me, but I was completely innocent-“

“Riiight,” AJ said with a smirk.

“So what’d management say?” Howie interrupted, trying to avoid another round.

“They’ll handle setting up the press conference, which should be in about an hour downstairs. They’re going to make sure it’s brief, but they’d like the four of us to be there,” Nick reported.

“And after that, I think y’all should go home and get some decent sleep,” Kevin said bluntly. “Not that I don’t appreciate your company, but I’ll rest better knowing you aren’t walking around like zombies.”

For a second it looked like his suggestion would be met with protest, but Brian finally nodded.

“Good idea,” he said. “And that includes you, Kris.”

“Well, I-”

“No, honey, you too,” Kevin said as he squeezed her hand. Seeing the plea in his eyes, she finally agreed.

“Okay, but first thing tomorrow morning, I’m here,” she said.

He looked like he couldn’t be happier at the prospect.

*******

The second press conference was much more tolerable than the first one had been; with four Boys to field questions and make statements, and the overall good news they had to share, it was a relatively painless event. Once the reporters had filed out of the conference room, Darla Robertson approached Nick, handing him a large shopping bag.

“Is this it?” Nick asked, taking her aside.

“Just what you asked for, plus a few extras. I even had it all gift wrapped.”

He gave her a grateful hug and said, “You’re the best, Dar. Remind me to give you a raise!”

“I’ll be sure to bring it up at review time,” she joked. “But what are personal assistants for, anyway? I get to spend other people’s money, and get paid to shop. If you need anything else, just let me know.”

“I will, thanks again.”

He peeked inside, finding several colorfully wrapped parcels. It would be perfect… or, at least he hoped it would be.

“What’s in the bag, Frack?” came the curious question.

“Oh, just some presents,” Nick answered with a shrug.

Brian tried to see inside the bag. “You got Kev something? What is it?”

“Uh, well, no. It’s not for Kevin,” Nick said. “It’s for a friend. Kind of a… a birthday gift.”

A pause. “Is this the same friend that you went off and visited before?”

“Yeah, that’s the one. We can stop by her room before we leave, okay? Or you can wait down here, either way.”

Brian shook his head. “No, I want to meet this friend. You’ve got me curious, now.”

“Okay, let’s go.”

They said goodbye to Howie, Kris and AJ, promising to meet up with them in the morning for a pre-visit breakfast. Stepping onto the elevator, Brian’s questions began.

“So who is this friend?”

“Just someone I met.”

“So this is a new friend?”

“Yeah.”

“Old, young, married, single, what?”

“About my age, single.”

“You’re not telling me you picked up some girl in the hospital, are you? Don’t you ever turn off that charm?”

“It’s not like that, Bri. I’m not interested in her that way.” Nick watched as the elevator stopped on the fourth floor. “This is it,” he said as he got out.

Brian’s feet faltered when he spied the sign. “Whoa, wait a minute… Neonatal? Nick, what’s going on here?”

Nick grinned, thoroughly enjoying his best friend’s confusion. “It’s where the babies are kept,” he explained.

“I know that’s where babies are kept,” Brian retorted. “But what does this have to do-”

“Look,” Nick said as he stopped in front of the glassed-in nursery. “See the baby, the third one from the end? That’s Elena Lynn,” he said proudly. “Isn’t she beautiful?”

Dumbfounded, Brian stared at the tall blond beside him, then looked at the row of infants. His face softened a bit. “Yeah, I guess she is.”

“Come on, let’s go meet her mom.”

Brian could only follow in silence.

Nick knocked on the door, and was pleased to hear Jeannie’s voice answer.

“Hi, Jeannie,” he said with a tentative smile. “Mind a brief visit?”

Her eyes reflected her sincerity as she said, “That would be great, come on in.”

“Um, I brought someone else,” he said, stepping to the side. “This is-”

“Brian Littrell,” she finished, her smile growing as she held out a hand. “Hi. I’m Jeannie Stephens.”

“Pleased to meet you,” he said politely. “And… I guess congratulations are due. You have a beautiful daughter.”

“Thanks,” she replied, practically glowing.

“I know you said you didn’t need anything,” Nick said, coming to her side, “but I wanted to get you a little gift, for the baby and all.”

“You didn’t have to do that,” she began.

“I wanted to, and besides, it might come in handy.” He took out a medium sized box wrapped in a rainbow patterned paper. “If you already have one, I can always exchange it.”

He bit his lip nervously as she accepted the package and unwrapped it. She gave a small gasp of delight.

“A video camera! Oh, I definitely don’t have anything like this, these things cost-” She stopped and gave him a frown. “This is way too expensive, I can’t accept it.”

He laughed. “Are you kidding? I have clothes that cost ten times that,” he said. “And you have to capture all the baby moments on camera, so you’ll have them when she’s not so little anymore. Please accept it, okay?”

She answered by reaching up and pulling him into a grateful hug. “Thank you so much, this is just wonderful. I will definitely use it, having recorded memories will be such a treasure.”

“There’s something else that you can use right now,” he said, giving her a second box.

Quickly she tore the paper away and laughed. “A Polariod camera!”

He took it from her hands. “You can’t start the baby pictures too soon,” he said. “But mommy first.” He pointed it at her.

“Oh my god, no, I look horrible!” she exclaimed, putting her hands up to block the shot.

Nick lowered the camera and caught her gaze. Slowly, in all seriousness, he said, “No, you look beautiful. Exactly the way a new mom should.”

She lowered her hands and, feeling the sincerity of his words, broke into a warm smile. “Can I get one of you, too?”

“Sure, if you want,” he said as he lined up the camera again. A quick click!, and he put the picture on the table. He flashed her his famous smile and she took a shot of him.

“How about the both of you, together?” Brain asked, not able to keep the amazed grin from his face.

Soon, the camera was clicking and depositing photographs left and right. Nick and Jeannie, Nick and Brian, Brian and Jeannie. Brian alone. Both Boys, making goofy faces. Jeannie laughing.

Nick was glad to see that Darla had thought to bring a whole bunch of extra film cartridges; there were at least a dozen in the bag. Jeannie would be set for a while.

The mystery package at the bottom turned out to be a photo album, fitted with sleeves especially for Polaroid pictures. Jeannie was thrilled and touched by the thoughtfulness of the gifts, and promised to start filling the album right away.

When the nurse brought in baby Elena for a feeding, a new flurry of pictures were taken, until the infant began to complain about the lack of food. Taking that as their cue to leave, Nick gave Jeannie a final hug and a kiss on her forehead, wishing her the best of luck with Elena. With a wave, the two left the room, Nick sticking a photograph of mother and baby in his pocket as he walked out the door.

Not a word was said until the pair left the hospital and crossed the walkway to the parking garage, where Brian’s car awaited. Before he unlocked the door, the older Boy spoke.

“You never cease to surprise me, Bro,” he said, shaking his head. “That was really nice, what you did.”

Nick’s eyebrows raised and he gave a half-grin. “Gee, thanks, Bri… you’re saying that my doing something nice is a surprise, huh?”

“That’s not what I meant, and you know it,” he said, rolling his eyes. He paused, then got a bit more serious. “It was a great gift, a really thoughtful one. You never told me how you two, ah, met.”

“A story for another time,” Nick promised with a shrug. “Come on, I want to get home.”

“Then tell me this: why’d you want to give her such a personal gift, when you only met her a couple of days ago?”

Nick ran a hand through his hair and finally said, “Let’s just say she taught me about priorities, and keeping it all in perspective.”

When he fell silent, Brian knew that nothing more would be forthcoming. Knowing he would eventually be able to pry the entire story from his friend, he let the matter rest. He was too tired to protest, and wanted to get home as soon as possible.

“Let’s go,” he said as he unlocked the doors. “I don’t think I’ll have a bit of trouble getting to sleep tonight.”

“Yeah,” Nick said as he climbed in. “Me either.”

As Brian backed out of the parking space, Nick added, “I hope we never have to go through anything like that again. I’m just so glad that Kev’s okay… that we’re all okay.”

“Amen,” came Brian’s soft, hearfelt reply. “Amen.”

*******