- Text Size +

 

“…so as soon as we finish up the paperwork, you’ll be discharged, Mr. Dorough,” said the young nurse as she finished recording vital signs.

“What about going to sleep?” came a raspy voice from the other side of the room.

“The doctor will be in to explain it all, but I think the danger’s passed.” She smiled at AJ, then back at Howie. “Breakfast will be up in a bit, is there anything else I can get you? Either of you?”

“No,” Howie replied in an exhausted tone. “I’ll just be glad to get out of here.” He paused for a second, then hastily added, “Not that there’s anything wrong with the care or anything…”

She laughed. “Oh, we get a lot of that here,” she said as she placed the chart in its holder. “No offense taken.”

AJ stood and stretched, wincing as cramped muscles protested. The hospital bed he’d spent the night in wasn’t exactly the highest quality. “I am in major need of coffee,” he said.

“I’ll see what I can do,” she said. “But, none for you, Mr. Dorough,” she added apologetically. “With your condition and the meds they’ll probably prescribe...”

“The only thing I want to do is to go home, collapse into a real bed, and sleep. There’s no chance I’d drink something that might keep me awake!”

“Good,” she said. “I’ll be right back.”

When she had left, Howie sank back into his pillow and rubbed his face. “Damn, Bone, I am so tired.”

“I don’t doubt it,” came the reply. “At least I was able to catch a few minutes here and there.”

Howie sighed, then looked at his best friend. “I wonder if Brian and Nick were able to sleep at all.”

“Nick looked ready to drop,” he said, remembering. “Of course, Bri didn’t look too hot either. Hopefully they got some kind of rest.”

“Yeah.”

“Hello,” called a bright voice from the doorway. “Food services, breakfast delivery!”

Howie sat up as the older woman brought in a tray and set it on the wheeled table by his bed. “There you go, honey.”

“Thank you, ma’am,” he said politely, tentatively lifting off the plastic cover and sniffing. Surprisingly, it smelled good, and he immediately picked up a napkin.

“And here you are, sweetheart,” she said as she set another tray before AJ. “You boys enjoy your breakfast.”

“Thanks,” AJ said, hiding a grin at the woman’s motherly, efficient tone. He hadn’t been called ‘sweetheart’ by anyone in a long, long time.

Howie caught the gleam in his brother’s eyes and smiled as the woman left the room. “Sweetheart?”

Honey?” AJ replied, glad to see the amusement on Howie’s face. “Maybe she’s a fan.”

Howie laughed, the first time since the accident. “She has no clue who we are,” he said. “Actually it’s kind of nice. I don’t think I could handle fans on any level right now.”

“I hear that,” AJ agreed, uncovering his plate. “Hey, this doesn’t look half bad,” he said.

They were eating in silence when the nurse returned.

“Here you go, Mr. McLean,” she said, handing him a large cup of coffee.

“Hey, thanks,” he said sincerely, taking the steaming brew.

“The doctor was talking to your two friends by the Nurse’s station, I imagine they’ll be here in a minute. I’ll be right outside until the doctor needs me back in here.”

He watched her leave and focused back on his meal, wondering how Nick and Brian had fared. He didn’t have to wait long for an answer.

“Hey guys,” came Brian’s voice half a minute later. Nick came in behind him, holding a large bundle.

“Hey,” Howie said with a tired smile. “What’s the package?”

“Management sent some stuff over,” Nick replied in a not-quite-awake voice. “Clothes, mostly. Bri told them your clothes were dirty from…” he stopped and swallowed. “From last night.”

Howie nodded, remembering the unpleasant mix of mud, blood, and rain.

“How many clothes does Howie need?” AJ asked, frowning.

“There’s a change of clothes for all of us,” Nick said. “Since we don’t know how long… um.” He blinked. “Well, you know.”

“Have you seen Kevin?” AJ asked uncomfortably, his meal forgotten.

“I did,” offered Brian. “He hasn’t woken up yet. They said his temperature is a bit high, but they expected that.” He drew in a deep breath. “It’s all about waiting, now.”

Silence descended on the four. It was the arrival of the doctor that broke the solemn spell.

He nodded at the gathering and went to Howie’s side right away.

“So, the nurse tells me you’re eager to go home, Mr. Dorough?” he said while scanning the chart.

“Yeah,” Howie answered. “All I want to do is sleep.”

“Understandable,” the man said. “How is the pain?”

Howie shot a slightly guilty look AJ’s way and said, “Well, it’s been kinda getting worse since around six.”

“I’m going to prescribe some pain medication to help you rest. Your body is already exhausted, and fighting pain will add to the problem. You need sleep, and plenty of it.”

“D, why didn’t you say anything?” AJ said, unhappy his friend hadn’t told him about the pain.

“I could handle it,” Howie said defensively.

“Hmm,” the doctor cut in. “Well, the second day after an accident brings a lot of pain, more than what a person experienced to begin with. The automatic release of endorphins that block the pain at the onset of trauma doesn’t continue on an infinite basis; the initial input of blockers have worn off by the twelve hour mark, and the body is unable to produce a sufficient supply to keep ahead of the pain caused by tissue damage.”

His explanation was met by silence, and he looked up. With a shake of his head, he said, “Sorry. What I mean is, a person hurts worse the second day, and even moreso the third. That’s when medication does the most good. You’ll have to give your body the rest it requires to heal. Unfortunately, what I need to prescribe will be quite strong and will make you very drowsy. We’ll give you the first dose in injection form, but the rest will be pills. I can’t let you drive, you’ll have to get a ride back home. Now, who will be staying with you while you recover?”

“Uh, no one,” Howie said. “I live alone.”

The doctor shook his head. “You won’t be able to drive, cook, or do much of anything for at least 24 hours. You need to take your medicine at regular intervals, and someone must watch you for any adverse effects of the drugs. If there’s no one, we’ll keep you here for another day-”

“I’ll stay with him,” AJ declared flatly.

“No, Aje,” Howie began to protest.

“You don’t get a vote,” came the instant retort. “I’ll make sure he does what he’s supposed to, doc.”

“Very good,” the doctor said. “The nurse will write up clear instructions, and you’ll be able to call us here if you have any concerns or questions. I have no doubt that Mr. Dorough will rest much better at home, under your care, than he would here.”

Howie was secretly relieved and put up no futher argument. For the next few minutes, the doctor went over the basics and, once assured they had been understood, bid farewell to the group. The nurse came in, gave Howie an injection of pain medicine, left papers for him to read and sign, and gave them all a bit of privacy.

While the older Boy changed, Brian slipped out to make arrangements for a car to pick up AJ and Howie. Nick, silent during most of the visit, finally spoke.

“Bri will… Brian and I will handle the press conference later this afternoon,” he said. “It’s supposed to be at 4, if things don’t blow up before then.”

“What do they know so far?” AJ asked.

“Not much,” Nick said. “Management told Brian that because the accident happened in such an isloated spot, and was so late at night, there weren’t many onlookers. They’re making sure the hospital, as well as rescue services and police, are keeping it under wraps.” He looked at the floor. “Questions are already being asked, though… so someone has said something. Could have been practically anyone.” He shrugged, knowing that an incident of that magnitude would never be kept secret for long. “Bri’s been doing a great job,” he added quietly.

Howie’s dark eyes looked on his youngest brother with empathy, but he was unsure what to say.

“We’re going to stay here,” Nick continued after a bit, although he still kept his gaze on the tiles at his feet. “They’ll let us crash in the Resident’s lounge, there’s a shower and everything there. Bri won’t go home, at least until Leigh comes back, and I…” He sniffed and shuffled his foot. “Someone’s got to keep Brian company.”

AJ caught the pain in his brother’s voice. “You haven’t seen Kev yet, have you?”

Nick shook his head, his jaw clenching against the statement.

“Look,” Howie offered as he slowly buttoned up his shirt. “I’m going to stop by before we leave, you can come with us.”

“It’ll do you good,” promised AJ.

“I’ll go see him,” Nick said evasively, not wanting to promise specifics. Brian’s return spared him from saying more.

“There’s a car being sent, should be here in about 20 minutes. D, you ready to go?”

“After I see Kevin,” he stated. He stood up far too quickly, swayed dangerously, and nearly fell flat on his face. AJ caught his arm and steadied him for a moment.

“Sit down for a second, you don’t want to hurt yourself more,” he said urgently.

“Kinda dizzy,” Howie muttered, not understanding.

“All ready to go?” the nurse said as she bustled into the room. “Hmm, you’re looking a little pale.”

“Got up too fast,” he explained with a blush.

“That’s why when we say to take it easy, we mean it,” she said, taking his blood pressure one final time. “And also why it’s hospital policy that all patients be escorted in a wheelchair on their way out.” She took the reading from the cuff and said, “It’s the pain meds working already, I think. Do you usually have strong reactions to medication?”

“Yes, he does,” AJ answered for him. Howie didn’t bother to protest.

“All right, then, I’ll get you a wheelchair and you’ll be home that much faster.”

A few minutes later, AJ propelled Howie down the hall, Brian and Nick close behind. It didn’t take long to reach Kevin’s floor and they found his room quickly. Without hesitation, the leading pair went inside.

Although he tried to follow, Nick stopped cold in mid-step, feeling a surge of panic swell up in his chest. Images of blood and darkness flashed before his eyes and he emitted a small, choking sound as he backed up, right into Brian.

The surprised man steadied the shaking blond, moving to face him at once. “Frack?”

Blood… dark blood against too-white skin, the rattle of tortured breathing…

“I… I c-can’t, Bri,” he said, terrified. “Please…”

“You can see him later,” Brian assured him. “We’ll be here all day, we can visit once Howie and AJ leave, okay?”

Nick felt his chest tighten and suddenly found it hard to breathe. Brian realized what was happening and pulled him from the doorway.

“Deep breaths, Nick,” he commanded. “You don’t need to hyperventilate. Deep, calming breaths… c’mon Bro, don’t do this.”

Somehow the instructions made their way through the panic and fear, and Nick did as he was told. Slowly, he felt the constriction in his chest ease and he was finally able to focus on worried blue eyes.

“I’m okay,” he whispered, ashamed of his weakeness. “I’m s-sorry.”

Brian embraced him in a strong, tight hug. “Nothing to apologize for. You can do this when you’re ready.”

“Thanks,” came the barely audible response. He stepped back and shrugged off the hand on his shoulder. “I… I think I’ll catch a shower, and get changed,” he said, retrieving the bundle he’d dropped moments before. “Tell… can you tell Howie and AJ that I’ll talk to them later?”

“Sure,” Brian said softly. “I’ll join you as soon as they leave.”

As Nick hurried down the hall, Brian leaned against the wall and shut his eyes, trying to keep his emotions under control. He took a few steadying breaths, gathered up his resolve, and went through the door to deliver the message.

*******

AJ studied the look of guilt mixed with concern on Howie’s face and wondered what he could say to make things better. He knew Howie felt things very deeply; getting over this would take a while, for sure. He had no magic words, no glib advice to offer, only his support and friendship. He hoped that it would be enough.

After a moment Brian entered the room, alone, and joined the two at Kevin’s side. At AJ’s questioning gaze, Brian merely shook his head. He understood: Nick would have to come on his own terms. He couldn’t fault the kid; everyone was having trouble dealing with the situation, himself included. At least watching over Howie would be a distraction, something productive he could focus on.

“He looks pale,” Howie stated, gazing at the motionless body on the bed.

“Yeah,” Brian agreed. “The bruises don’t help.”

“Kris’ll freak,” AJ said. “You know how those two are.”

“She was really upset on the phone,” Brian said, remembering. “But she’s tough, too. I think she’ll be okay, once she gets here.”

“Maybe... by then… Kev will be… awake,” Howie said, blinking heavily.

AJ’s eyebrows raised at the slow pace of Howie’s words. “Hey, D, you falling asleep on me here?”

“I’m tired,” came the thin reply. “It’s getting hard to, to keep my eyes open.”

“Yep,” AJ said. “It’s the drugs. And that’s our cue to get going.”

“Wait,” Howie said, frowning as he concentrated. “Where’s Nick?”

“He wanted to go get a shower and change,” Brian explained. “He said that he’ll talk to you guys later.”

“Oh, okay,” came the distant reply. He yawned as his eyelids grew heavy. “Mmm.”

AJ gave Brian a wry grin. “I better get sleeping beauty downstairs. You coming?”

“Nah, I told Nick I’d join him. I’ll call in a couple of hours and see how things are going.”

“Okay, I’ll catch you later.” He wheeled the chair around, then added, “Let me know if anything… happens… before then, right?”

“Right,” came the solemn promise.

Brian watched the two leave and stood by his cousin’s side for a while longer. He smoothed out Kevin’s top blanket and fought against the despair he felt at the sight of the normally vital man lying helpless in the bed. Bending close, fighting to keep the tremble out of his voice, he said, “Come on, Kev, we need you to wake up now. You’ve slept long enough.”

There was, of course, no response.

“All right, then, you rest some more,” Brian said, his throat tight with emotion. “I’ll come back in a while. Just get better, cuz.”

He paused for another few heartbeats, vainly hoping for a sign of wakefulness. Disappointed, he gave Kevin’s hand a squeeze and left the room, wondering how on Earth he was going to get through the day.

*******