- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thought I would try something festive, merry christmas!
It seemed like a good idea at the time.


"Nick....are you sure this shit is safe? I mean you saw that news report last year. What possessed you to fry a turkey?" AJ asked as Nick got out his supplies. Nick chuckled and brought the box out to the backyard.

"AJ that won't happen to me. I followed the directions. The turkey's been thawing for hours." Nick replied with a wink. Out in the middle of the yard sat a large pot filled with oil over an open flame. Nick had invited AJ and Rochelle over to the house in Tennessee for Christmas dinner...the ground was covered in snow and it was chilly, both of the boys bundled up to keep warm.

"Babe, I don't think this is a good idea! I can still put the turkey in the oven..." Lauren called from the deck Nick built over the summer, Igby at her feet barking. Nick carried the turkey towards the pot and set it on a large pan.

"I know what I'm doing, Boose. I googled the instructions." he said with a smile. He put on a pair of goggles, and a large rubber apron for safety....whistling as he prepared the turkey for submersion.

"We should have just cooked it in the oven, dude." AJ commented. Nick looked like the safety monitor when he was finished dressing...covered in rubber and protective gear.

"This is gonna be so good, you will thank me!" Nick laughed, picking up the turkey. He had put a metal rod inside to safely submerge it into the oil and stood about a foot away, lowering it gently.

"Fuck!" AJ shouted when the turkey hit the oil. It sizzled and popped, making Nick jump back.

"Shit.....shit..."

"Nick are you okay?" Lauren asked.

"Y-yeah. I-I'm fine." Nick answered shakily, running a hand through his hair as he stood up. Taking gentle steps, he put the lid on the pot and drew a breath of relief. He and AJ sat on the porch, Nick drinking a beer and AJ a can of soda while they kept an eye on the frying turkey.

"So how is married life?"

"It's not all that different than dating, just that there's a ring and a piece of paper. When are you going to ask her? You've been dating her long enough...." AJ said. Nick smiled as he raised his beer to his lips. If things went well enough at dinner, he would be the next in line. Nick was happy, finally happy and secure enough to take the next step in his relationship with Lauren.

"We will some day. Just waiting for the right time." Nick replied thoughtfully.

"You should try it though." AJ grinned.

"The turkey must be nearly done, I'd better check on it."


Nick got up, nearly sliding on the patch of ice on the sidewalk.

"The last thing I need is to break my neck on Christmas!" he thought. Nick cautiously walked over to the pot of oil and used tongs to open it.

"Hey....um...Jay....something is wrong..."

"What?" AJ asked, but as soon as the last syllable left his lips, a chunk of snow from the tree branch above slid off, landing into the pot. Nick's eyes went wide as the oil splashed....hitting the flames.

"Nick, get away from there!!!" Lauren shouted, emerging from the house wearing an apron. Nick had been hit with the oil and was on the ground, his leg burning. Angry flames exploded and engulfed the pot of oil.

"Fucking Christ!" Nick screamed, writhing in pain. His leg hurt incredibly while he lay in the snow, helpless. The oil popped and more splashed onto the fire pit....a new burst of flames erupting from underneath. Nick's hair caught it first....his long blonde bangs singed as he screamed....the goggles on his face melting onto his skin. Lauren began to cry as she watched Nick burn alive, AJ on the phone with paramedics. Rochelle held her stomach, sick with disgust. By the time the fire department had arrived....all that was left was Nick's charred body, the rubber gloves and apron still attached.

"Well, I know we told him to cut his hair, but this wasn't the way to do it." AJ said, trying to lighten the mood.

The flames had basically taken most of Nick's skin, leaving his clothing and the plastic goggles hanging from his burnt flesh.

"Is this yours?" a police officer asked, holding up a small velvet box they had found on the ground.

"Oh my god...." Lauren gasped, bursting into tears. A diamond ring sat inside, untouched by the flames that had consumed her boyfriend.


It would be a long time before any of them touched turkey again.