- Text Size +
It had all started with Mike, Nick’s bodyguard.


Mike and Nick Carter liked to eat spicy food and were always daring each other to try hotter and hotter sauces while on the road and they were currently in Mexico, a place where spicy food was very easy to find. They loved hitting up Mexican restaurants and laughing at the faces they made while trying various chili peppers, posting videos on Instagram and watching the fans reactions. Nick loved especially because the fans would warn him each time about the dangers of the spicy food but he ignored them because he was Nick Carter. Why should he listen to a bunch of fan girls when he knew what he could handle.


“Hey, remember when we were here last time and you asked someone to bring you a Carolina Reaper?” Mike asked as he and Nick ate their steaks. Nick went to thinking, he did ask someone to bring spicy peppers last time BSB was in South America and Mexico. They happily obliged and Nick’s craving was quenched. Until now when he started to think about it again.

“What about it?” Nick asked.

“I bet nobody can actually bring you one. The strongest one we got last time was that ghost pepper.”

“You’re right, nobody ever did bring me one. Maybe this time we will get lucky.” Nick laughed. He sipped at his water and continued eating for a while before picking up his phone and logging into Twitter.




@nickcarter- If anyone can find a #carolinareaper bring it to the venue TODAY for @heygoformike lol xD #peppers


“Did you really just tweet that?” Mike laughed as his mentions blew up from the fans warning of all kinds of things that could happen to them if they ate the peppers.

“It's not like someone is actually going to bring us one. We won't have to do it.” Nick said, shrugging. Nobody had come through last time, why would this be any different?


That afternoon at the meet and greet, a fan came up to Nick holding a plastic bag of peppers.

“I hope these are what you asked for, I tried finding them but they're super hard to get.” the fan said with a big smile as she handed it to him.

Mike and Nick exchanged looks because they knew they had to do the challenge now. There was no backing out. So after the meet and greet was done they had some down time before the show and set up an Instagram live video.


“We are here in Mexico and someone has brought us some hot peppers so we are going to see who can eat them and handle the heat!” Nick said, smiling into the camera on his phone. He handed it off to his assistant who continued filming. They were both seated at a table with plates of peppers in front of them. Glasses of water sat nearby although Nick knew very well water didn't help last time they'd tried this challenge.

“Well, are you going to eat it or just look at it?”

Nick was staring at the pepper on his plate and he could feel himself getting nervous. He'd read so many things about these and knew that there was a risk but he had to follow through.

“You go first.” he replied. Mike took his pepper and ate it slowly, coughing at first because the heat was intense. He made some faces and Nick cackled at him, but deep down he knew he was next. The camera was once again facing him and it was his turn.

“Come on, it’s not THAT bad….” Mike said, coughing a bit.

“Really?” Nick asked.

“It’s got a bit of a kick.” Mike laughed. Nick looked nervously at his bodyguard because he knew Mike had a high tolerance for spicy food.


Nick rolled his eyes and stared at the pepper again. It was now or never.

“Okay...I’m doing it.”

Several moments passed and once again Nick found himself looking at the pepper sitting on the plate, mocking him silently.

“Don’t be a wuss, dude. I ate it, just eat it and get it over with.”


“You might as well fucking do it already. Don’t want the fans to think you’re a pussy after last time.”

He basically coached himself to toss the pepper in his mouth and start chewing, which he regretted almost immediately. The flavor was very strong.

“Nick?” Mike asked tentatively.

Nick laughed, “I laugh at death.” continuing to chew.

“It’s not that bad. Why did they make it out like this thing was like eating fire or some shit….cause…”

“Fuck.” He said loudly, the burning sensation coming right away. It was like eating a jalapeño but worse.

“Nick?”

He stopped mid sentence because that was when it felt like his tongue was going to fall off. The spice was as if he’d lit his tongue on fire and threw it into gasoline.

“FUCK!!!”

Mike watched with concern and so did everyone else that had been watching, something had gone wrong. Nick’s face was beet red, sweat dripping down his face moments later. He tried drinking the water on the table but it didnt help and he started gagging. They cut off the instagram live video as Nick started to vomit. It was almost as if he was having an allergic reaction. Panicking, Mike didn’t know what to do or who to get for help so he called for a ambulance. At this point Nick was having trouble catching breath, having emptied the contents of his stomach.

“Mike...it hurts so bad…” he croaked, grasping at his throat. His face was bright red, sweat dripping down his face from the sudden increase in body temperature.

He vomited again, but this time it was blood….his eyes wide and fearful. Nick was gasping for air, clutching at his chest. Mike screamed as Nick’s eyes rolled back into his head and he fell over, twitching. Mike started to yell for an ambulance but one was already on its way.

It was then that he saw a black hooded figure, holding a staff with a scythe on the end.

“About time you got here. I was waiting for you, you know.”

Nick’s spirit stood up and away from his own body, watching himself convulse and made a face.

“How did it happen this time?” The hooded figure asked.

“Ghost Pepper. I think.” Nick said thoughtfully, rubbing his transparent head. He tore away from watching himself being shaken by his bodyguard and laughed.

“I have to admit this one was less painful than the others.”

“Do you have a death wish, because this is….how many times now?”

“Seventy. Give or take. I just missed you so much that I wanted to die again. So what are we going to do today, because I won’t regenerate until tomorrow morning. We have all night.” Nick chuckled. He was used to seeing the Grim Reaper, it became almost a daily occurrence since he kept dying over and over with no explanation. He figured he might as well become friends with him once he came to collect him.

“It’s a good thing you aren’t afraid of me because you will be once we get our poker game going.” Grim said, as they walked away from the scene and it faded behind them. White light surrounded them and Nick found himself at a run down looking house. They walked inside and a door appeared on the wall, a door with a skull as the handle. Grim opened it and the two of them stepped inside.

“I’m totally gonna kick your ass this time.” Nick laughed.

The Reaper patted him on the back, and laughed as well.

“We shall see.”