- Text Size +

                                             Chapter 12

 

 

 

 

“Well do you need anything before I go?” Denise asked AJ.

 

“Hand me my bag, I wanna see what Chelsea brought me.” He said as he held out his arm.

 

“When is she coming back?” Denise asked as she handed it too him.

 

“I told Kevin not to bring her back until she’s had a good amount of sleep and ate a meal.” AJ said as he unzipped the top part.  “Thank you.” He said as he looked at her.

 

“For what?” She asked a little confused.

 

“For being there for her when I couldn’t be and for not being mean to her.” He said as a small smile broke from his lips.  She smiled back at him knowing he was joking with her.

 

“I’m going to go now and, you’re welcome.” She said as she put her bag over his shoulder.  “I see what you two have now, I get it.” 

 

AJ lightly smiled at her as she left the room, her herself going to have a hot bath, and a long sleep, just as AJ had told Chelsea to do.  He returned his attention back to his bag and opened it fully. 

 

“Sweet.” AJ sighed as he pulled out the PJ bottoms, already tired of the drafty hospital gown.  He smiled when he pulled out his IPod and headphones, as he looked at the books at the bottom of the bag; he realized there was something in the small pocket.  Laying the bag on its side he pulled on the leather buckle and lifted the flap.  A different kind of smile came across his face when he saw it was his journal.

 

He opened the book and flipped through until he found the last page he had written on but when he came to it he notice there was writing on the other side.  He turned the page with a confused look until he saw the hand writing.

 

June 10th 2008

 

            It’s been two days since Kevin called the house and told Anne about the accident.  I miss you, you’re right here beside me but I miss you.  I can’t hug you, I can’t kiss you, and I hate that damn ventilator.  I wish I could talk to you, tell you how much I love you.  Kevin says you can hear us but I dunno.  I guess it’s kind of why I’m writing in here.  I need…something.  I just want to curl up in the corner of your room and just hide, but I can’t.  I don’t want them thinking I can’t handle this because they might not let me be here.  I’ve heard Kevin fighting with them when he thinks I’m napping.  Even now they still fight but I’m done fighting.  You, Alex are my life right now, it’s the only life I know and until I find mine you’re all I have, and I almost lost you two days ago.  That’s not happening again.  So let them say whatever they want to say, let them do whatever they want to do, because when you wake up it will be you and me. Whatever happens, happens, nothing is worse than being in that room alone, nothing. Well maybe the plane ride here.  I hope you wake up soon, love you.

 

Chels. 

 

He stared at her words for a moment or two, then as he closed the book over he wiped his eyes.  His fingers drifted down the dark leather cover but his thoughts were broken by his door opening. 

 

“I thought I said I wanted Chelsea to sleep.” AJ said when he saw Kevin walk in.

 

“She is, out cold when I left.” Kevin told him with a smile as he closed the door.

 

“Good.” AJ said quietly as he looked down at his journal.

 

“Figured I’d come and talk for a little bit, told Kris to page me when Chels woke up.” Kevin told him as he sat down.

 

“She’s been ok?” AJ asked as he looked at Kevin.

 

“You know I really don’t know, she seems ok, I gotta say I’m proud of her but…” Kevin stopped and AJ waited.

 

“But what?” He asked.

 

Kevin sighed and looked at AJ.  “Something inside of me is wondering if she’s on the verge, ya know, one more little thing and snap.”

 

“And your brothers?” AJ asked.

 

“My brothers are my brothers I don’t think they’re going to change their minds anytime soon.” Kevin sighed again. 

 

“I want her to come live with me.” AJ said as he tried to take a deep breath.

 

“Her as in Chelsea?” Kevin asked confused.

 

“Yes.” AJ replied and he couldn’t help but laugh a little.  “You’re right, one more thing and she could snap, and besides this…” AJ said waving his hand around the room.  “The only thing that causes her stress are those two.  If she lives with you they will show up at anytime, she would constantly worry about whether or not they would come by and make her go back.   If she’s with me, she can lock the door and crawl into bed and forget about them.  I am not going to let those two take away or ruined what I have wanted since the day you told me she was dead.”

 

 

 

“So what did the doctor say?” Kristin asked as she sat with Chelsea eating.

 

“His ribs are healing, and they said he’ll start therapy on his legs tomorrow.” She told her.

 

“What’s wrong with his legs?” Kristin asked.

 

“It’s his bad knee; I guess the one he injured on tour a few years ago.  It got pretty banged up, and they said that a lot of times people who have been in Coma’s kind of need to learn how to walk again, his legs are probably stiff.”  Chelsea said as the image of AJ flashed in her head.

 

“Have they said when he can go home?”

 

Chelsea finished the last of the food on her plate before she answered.  “They said probably next week.” 

 

“Well that’s good and you know you can stay here as long as you need to.” Kristin lightly smiled at her and Chelsea tried to return it.

 

“Hello?” Kevin shouted into the house.

 

“Finally” Chelsea sighed as she got up from the stool.  “What is that?” She said as she saw Kevin walking down the hall with a large colourful plastic, thing, in his hands.

 

“I dunno some dude in a Van was pulling in the same time I was.” Kevin said a little confused.  “I signed for them but they’re for you.”

 

“Me?” Chelsea said shocked as she looked at the bag in front of her.  Hesitantly she took it from him and walked into the kitchen.  Setting it down on the table she pulled open the wrapping and lightly gasped as she saw the dozen or so white Lily’s and a small envelop sitting on top of them.  Reaching in she pulled out the little note and opened it.

 

“To: You, From: Me.” Was the only thing written on the card but she knew what it meant, she knew he had read what she wrote and it made her smile through her tears.

 

“So are they from who I think they’re from?” Kevin asked as he walked into the kitchen.

 

“Yes” She answered with a smile.

 

“He’s a sneaky little thing.” Kevin sighed as he grabbed her a vase and filled it with water, wondering how he got the flowers to her so fast.

 

“I don’t mind.” She smiled as she pulled the flowers out and put them gently in the vase of water.

 

“Well I guess you’re ready to go then.” Kevin asked her.

 

“Let me put this in my room and then yep.” She said with a nod and it made Kevin laugh.  It was weird how the flowers had brightened her up.  As he waited for her to come back down he wondered what exactly AJ wrote on that card.

 

“You know you could learn a thing or two from him.” Kristin said as she walked up to him.

 

“Yeah I know you tell me…” A loud thud stopped his words dead and the screaming that followed made them both run up the stairs.  They ran into her room and stopped dead when they saw her on the floor, in a fetal position, holding her head.  Kevin quickly knelt down and picked her up, taking her over to the bed.

 

“Get me ice and a face cloth.” He said quickly to Kristin, she nodded and headed to the main bathroom and then ran downstairs.  “Chelsea, Chelsea look at me.” Kevin said as he tried to pull her hands away.  Her moaning was loud and she cried between each one.

 

“Here” Kristin said as she handed Kevin the cloth and ice packs, she started to turn out the lights, close the door and shut the curtains, and tried to make the room dark as possible.

 

“You need to calm down Chels, relax, it will pass.” Kevin said to her as he held the ice pack to her head.

 

“It hurts.” She whimpered.

 

“I know.” Kevin frowned as he looked at Kristin.

 

“Should I call Home Nurse?” Kristin asked talking about the emergency nurse line that would send a nurse if she needed one.

 

“No” Chelsea whimpered.  “They’ll tell me to stay here.”

 

“Well yeah.” Kevin said a little stunned.  “Wait, no Chels you can’t go to the hospital now, you need to relax.”

 

“I need Alex.” She moaned with a frown, her eyes fluttered and Kevin knew it wouldn’t be long until her body did the natural thing and made her go to sleep to rest.

 

“I’ll call Alex and let him know, he’d want you to rest.” Kevin said to her, she didn’t say anything she just lightly moaned.  He kept the ice to her head until she was fast asleep.  Kristin handed him a blanket from the closet and he put it over her.  Grabbing the cordless phone, he dropped the ice into the sink and dialed the hospital number.  He asked for AJ’s room and waited for him to pick up.

 

“Hey man it’s me.” Kevin said as he dried off his hands.  “Yeah, she got them.  I’m actually calling because before we left she got hit with one of her headaches, yeah, yeah man she’s fine now she’s sleeping, I’m sure she’s going to want to come down when she wakes up, so I just wanted to let you know we’ll be there later tonight.” He paused as AJ talked.  “Ok I will, I promise if she’s not feeling well I’ll make her stay.”