- Text Size +

                                             Chapter 17

 

 

            AJ sat on the couch in the guys green room waiting for their show to start.  Chelsea sat between his legs, leaning back against him, her head resting on the couch and his shoulder, his arms wrapped around the front of her as their fingers tangled between each others.  They could hear the crowd getting restless waiting for the guys to come on after their opening act.  When their manager came in AJ got up, gave her a kiss and then left the room with the guys.

 

“We’re going to grab something to eat, coming?” Leigh Anne asked Chelsea.

 

“Nope I’m good, going play some Tetris.” She smiled waving AJ’s phone.  Howie’s wife and Brian’s wife left the room and left Chelsea alone.  Waiting patiently she played a couple of rounds of the puzzle game and then made her move.  Grabbing her bag, leaving the green room, Chelsea walked down the backstage halls and snuck behind some curtains. She entered a small room behind the stage and looked around as the pounding bass hit her chest.  Looking, she eyed the shoes that were on the ground.

 

“Big feet, big feet, haha, here they are.” She said as she walked over to Nick’s shoes.  Quickly she knelt down as she opened her small backpack and reached in.  Chelsea giggled as she pulled out a tub of Vaseline. “Oldest trick in the book but he won’t see it coming.” She lightly sung as she scooped a glob up and stuffed it carefully into the end of the shoe.  Doing the same to the other one, not sure which pair he was actually going to wear next she decided to do the rest of them too. Chelsea smiled proudly at herself as she put the jar back into her bag and left the small backstage changing room.  When she got back to the green room she walked into the bathroom and began to scrub her hands.  One thing about Vaseline it was a bitch to get off.

 

When she returned to the couch her hands still felt greasy.  She sat quietly, patiently, and let the time roll by.  Chelsea lied on the couch listening to her music when the door to the green room opened and Leigh Anne and Leigh B walked in, she lightly smiled giving them a wave and went back to her music.  When the door opened again she saw Brian walk in, then Howie, then Nick and then Alex.  Nick walked right into the bathroom, his shoes in his hands as he hit the tiled floor with his greasy Vaseline feet they slipped but Nick grabbed the wall stopping himself. He shot her a look but she was ready for it and looked at him confused.

 

“What’s up with him?” Chelsea asked sitting up as she pulled out her ear buds.

 

“Like you don’t know?” AJ said smiling at her as he sat down beside her.

 

“You…should follow him in there.” Chelsea said to AJ joking at his sweaty smell. 

 

“Awwww am I too sweaty for you?” AJ said as he wrapped his arms around her and she squirmed to get away.

 

“Did you talk to her?” Nick yelled from the bathroom.

 

“Ugh” AJ moaned rolling his eyes.  “Why did you put Vaseline in Nick’s shoes?”

 

“What?” Chelsea said putting on her best acting role.  “I’ve been here, playing Tetris and listening to music.”

 

“Chels.” AJ sighed.

 

“My ass you were.” Nick said as his head popped out.  “All of them Chelsea? Seriously those are my stage shoes; I have to wear them, ALL OF THEM!!” He yelled and then disappeared as Howie began to giggle under his breath.

 

“I have no idea what you’re talking about Nick, I’ve been right here.” Chelsea said back to him.

 

“It’s War!!” Nick shouted.

 

“Oh no it’s not, you can’t start a prank war there’s no proof it was her.” Brian shouted quickly. “Kevin may not be here but the rules stick.”

 

“Oh, I’ll get my proof.” Nick grunted as he walked out of the bathroom.  “And when I do you won’t be able to hide behind him or Kevin.” Nick said pointing to AJ.

 

“Uh no leave me out of it.” AJ said shaking his finger at Nick.  The blonde member of the band said nothing more as he left the green room. When the door closed everyone looked at her.

 

“Nice one Chels.” Howie smiled.

 

“Well played.” Brian nodded.  “Went old school on him.”

 

“I swear guys it wasn’t me.” Chelsea said looking at them. 

 

“You don’t need to lie Chels we’re all friends here.” Howie said smiling as he packed his things up.

 

“A magician never reveals their secrets so she ain’t gonna budge.” Brian sighed.  “But I warn ya, it’s going to get ugly.” He told her before him and Leigh Anne walked out the door.

 

“So are you hungry?” She asked AJ knowing the answer.

 

“Starving.” He sighed.  “Order when we get back to the hotel?”

 

“Sure.” She replied as they walked out of the green room and headed to the van.

 

“So tell me it was you wasn’t it?” AJ asked.

 

“Pfft, who else would it have been?” Chelsea smiled at him.  AJ laughed as he wrapped his arm around her back.

 

“It leaked into my socks, my toes are all greasy, damn it.” Chelsea heard Nick yell as she climbed in.  “I had to wear those on stage you know, you know how hard it is dancing with Vaseline in your shoes!?” Nick squeeled.  “Kevin put you up to it didn’t he?”

 

“What makes you think it was me anyways? What proof do you have?” Chelsea asked looking behind her.

 

“You’re marrying AJ that proves you’re not mentally stable.” Nick replied looking at AJ

 

“Hey” AJ pouted looking back at Nick. 

 

“You’re so paranoid.” Chelsea rolled her eyes.

 

“PARANOID, you put Vaseline in my shoes!!” Nick yelled.

 

“It wasn’t me” Chelsea said calmly as the entire van was already laughing.

 

“Oh my gawd!” Nick growled in frustration that she just wouldn’t admit it. Chelsea shook her head but she was dancing on the inside at her first victory.  When they got back to the hotel the couple went right to their room and closed to door as Nick bitched his way down the hall.  AJ took a shower while Chelsea ordered them food.  They sat and ate and quietly discussed how Chelsea pulled of the shoe prank.  After the food was gone and cleared from the room they got dressed or undressed for bed.  Both of them far to tired after a long day for anything fun.

 

 

 

            The next morning AJ was woken by the hotel room phone ringing.  Lying on his stomach he tucked his arms under him and sat up, sluggishly he reached for the receiver almost dropping it on the floor and answered the call.

 

“I swear Nick if this is you I’m kicking your…”

           

“Good Morning this is you’re wake up call as per ordered…” The automated voice said after it kicked in.  AJ hung the receiver up and moaned as he buried his head into his pillow.

 

“Is it time to get up already?” Chelsea mumbled from beside him.

 

“Yeah” He yawned.  “But at least we can crash on the bus.”

 

“Do we have to share one with Nick?” She asked.

 

“No, not this time, Leigh-Anne’s going home this morning so Brian’s staying on that bus.

 

“Damn.” She sighed sitting up.

 

“I know put a kink in your plans huh?” AJ smiled as he sat up.

 

“No biggy, didn’t have anything planned for a day or two anyways, adds to the paranoia.” She smiled.

 

“Remind me never to prank you.” AJ sighed as he tossed the covers from himself and climbed out of bed.  She watched him adoringly as his naked body disappeared into the bathroom.  Playing with her ring she looked down at it and softly smiled and when AJ walked out of the bathroom wearing nothing but a pair of blue jeans that hung low around his waist.

 

“Have you thought about when?” She asked as he lifted up his bag.

 

He looked up at her “When what?”

 

“When you want to get married?”

 

“I dunno.” He said reaching into his bag.  “Next summer, next fall or next year.” He told her as he pulled a T-shirt out.  “But it depends on where you wanna have it too, cause if it’s in Kentucky, then Summer but if we have in Cali, then whenever.”  He put his T-shirt over his head and lightly tucked it in.  “Have you thought about where?” He asked as he crawled close to her on the bed.

 

“Maybe in the blue grass fields behind the house.” She told him.

 

“I was thinking there too.” He said as he lightly kissed her cheek.

 

“Really? You don’t think its tacky cause of Kevin and Kristin?” she replied as he kissed her neck.

 

He kissed her neck again. “No, they got married at...umm...”He stopped and pulled away, a look on his face that meant I’m thinking.  “Cathedral Domain, that’s the name.” AJ replied remembering and then went back to kissing her neck. Chelsea chuckled as he laid her back onto the pillows and then brought his lips to her kissing her lovingly.  When he let go of her lips his eyes locked onto hers.

 

“What?” She asked softly.

 

“I can’t believe I’m marrying you.” He told her.  “I thought I’d lost you forever.” Chelsea frowned and laid her hand on the side of his face.  She lifted her head and brought her lips to his and kissed him.  AJ sighed as he let his body relax on top of her, letting one arm slide under her neck as her hand slipped from his face and drifted to his back.

 

A knock at the door broke the two apart. AJ groaned as he got up from the bed and headed to the door.  “Yes?” He asked looking at Brian on the other side.

 

“We’re starting to pack up if you guys are up and ready.” Brian told him.

 

“Yeah, we’ll be out in like ten minutes.” AJ replied.  When he turned around he pouted as the door closed behind him to see Chelsea getting dressed. 

 

“Are you sure you have everything?” She asked giving him a light smile at his sulky attitude. 

 

“Yes, but I’ll double check right now.”

 

With everything in order and all their bags collected in the hall, AJ put on his wool hat, sunglass and zip up hoody.  Taking one last look around the room before he left he shut the door and it locked on its own. 

 

“Here.” Chelsea said handing him her keycard.  He kissed her quickly and then walked over to the manager giving him the keys.

 

“He’s already down on the bus, he doesn’t want to talk to you.” Brian said chuckling as AJ walked up to him and Chelsea.

 

“Baby” She replied rolling her eyes.

 

“Just let me know ahead of time on your next attack, I gotta share a bus with him.” Brian sighed.  “Don’t make me collateral damage, please.”

 

“I’ll try” Chelsea said smiling.

 

“Sorry dude but I don’t even think I’m safe in this one.” AJ said to Brian as he put his hand on his friends shoulder.

 

“What did he do to piss you off?” Brian asked with a light laugh.

 

“He knows what he did and that’s all that matters.” Chelsea replied as they walked into the elevators.