- Text Size +

                                             Chapter 20

 

 

            AJ stood in the elevator as it lifted up to his floor, he was on his way back to his room after spending a couple of hours walking around the downtown area.  He now felt bad for snapping at her the way he did but she just kept pushing and he didn’t want to tell her what he saw.  The door opened and he reached into his pants pocket and pulled out his key card when someone grabbed him by the arm.

 

“Hey.” AJ said a little shocked at who ever it was spinning him around.

 

“I know you have a temper dude and sometimes you need your space but if you ever take off on her like that again, Tim and Jerald will be the last two people on your mind.” Brian said angrily through his teeth as he stared seething at AJ.  “Two hours Alex? Two hours you were gone and you couldn’t even answer your cell when she tried to call you.”

 

“Is she still awake?” AJ asked not fighting what Brian had just told him.

 

“No, she passed out about a half hour ago, so I left and let her sleep.” Brian told him.  AJ didn’t say anything as he headed down the hall again to his room.  He slipped the key into the small card hole and waited for the green light to come on.  AJ quietly opened the door and walked in.  Setting the key card and his wallet down on the small table he heard footsteps and looked up at the bedroom door way.  He saw Chelsea standing there standing there looking at him so he walked over to her.

 

“Did I wake you? Brian said you were…” His sentence was stopped as she wrapped her arms around his waist and held him tight.  “I’m sorry.” AJ sighed when he realized she was crying.  “I should know better than to take off on you like that.”

 

“No” Chelsea said as she pulled away a little.  “I’m sorry; if there’s someone who knows about being pushed to talk about something you don’t want too it’s me.  I should have dropped it.”

 

He pulled her into his arms again and rested his chin lightly on her head.  “Then we’ll call it even.”

“Where did you go?” She asked as the stepped back from him.

 

“Just for a walk around downtown, sat at a coffee shop for an hour or so.”

 

“You could have answered your phone.” Chelsea said as she walked into the bedroom.

 

“I know I’m sorry I get retarded when I get mad.” AJ said as he followed her. “I hope I didn’t wake you coming in.” He told her as he sat down beside her on the bed.

 

“No I was awake.” She replied.

 

“Brian said you were sleeping.”

 

“To him I was, just trying to get him to leave.” Chelsea said with a light smile.  AJ lightly laughed as he wrapped an arm around her shoulder and leaned in, gently kissing her on the temple.  Before he could pull away she turned and wrapped one arm around his neck and the other around his lower back. 

 

“You should get some sleep, it’s late.” AJ said as he held her.

 

“You’re not coming?” She asked as he helped her tuck her legs under the blankets.

 

“I had a couple cups of coffee; I can stay until you fall asleep though.” He told her and kissed her.  She smiled at him as he pulled away, then she laid down onto her pillows as he snuggled in behind her. 

 

AJ waited until she was fast asleep, staying next to her more for him than her.  Before he got up he softly kissed the back of her shoulder.  He walked over to his bag and pulled out his journal, then headed into the other room.  Sitting down at the table he opened his book and grabbed his pen.

 

 

October 15th 2008

 

            Well I had one hell of a nightmare this afternoon.  You’d think I’d be happy, Chelsea’s Doctor doesn’t think it’s physical but the other out come is just as horrible.  I tried not to go there all the way home, I tried to tell myself that it wasn’t that, that it was something else but what the fuck else could it be.  Is it wrong to not want her to remember, to have her go through these headaches because what’s worse, the headaches or her father…FUCK! I hate him I hate him I HATE HIM! He took her away, he took her from me, he took her away from the Richardson’s, from her Mom, and he took her Mom away from her.  The man hit her, his own fucking daughter and he tossed her around like a rag doll, and now I know he hurt her in the worse way imaginable…I really don’t want to sleep tonight, I don’t want to go back into that nightmare.  Think I’ll hit up the coffee machine and see what’s on Pay Per View tonight.

 

Alex

 

 

He stayed up all night, quietly leaving for the coffee machine when he needed too, and watched movies until the sun broke through the curtain.  With a yawn AJ looked at his watch and realized their wake up call would be coming soon, so he got up from the couch and walked into their bedroom.  Kneeling down beside her as she laid sleeping in the bed, he reached up and brushed her hair from her face.

 

“Sweetheart.” AJ said as he gently put his hand on her shoulder.  Chelsea mumbled and slowly opened her eyes.  “Time to get up.”

 

“Already?” She asked as she sat up on her side.

 

“Yeah” He replied with a light smile.  “Pancakes?”

 

“Pancakes.” She smiled as AJ stood up so she could get out of bed.

 

As AJ walked over to the phone it rang and he picked it up knowing it would be the wake up call.  He let the automated voice machine pick up and then he put the receiver back down.  Sitting down on the bed he waited a minute and then picked the phone back up and called down to room service.  As he hung up the phone he heard the water start to run in the shower.  He thought about joining her but then figured he’d give her some alone time and let her wake up.  Picking up his bag he grabbed onto the zipper and opened it, searching for some fresh clothes to wear.  By the time Chelsea got out of the shower AJ was dressed and waiting in the living area for their breakfast.

 

“So what time did you come to bed?” Chelsea asked as she sat down beside him on the couch.

 

“Fell asleep watching a movie.” AJ said with a light smile, Chelsea lightly smiled back.  When there was a knock at the door AJ stood up and answered it.  He rolled the cart into the room and inhaled the bacon and eggs as the aroma filled the room.  When AJ sat down to eat there was another knock at the door.  He sighed getting back up and walked back over to the door.

 

“Hello” AJ said as he stood at the door looking at Brian.

 

“Came to check on Cheslea.” Brian said and AJ could tell he was still pissed.

 

“She’s eating.” AJ told him as he took a step back and let him walk in.

 

“Hey Brian.” Chelsea said before she put a piece of pancake in her mouth.

 

“Just came to see how you were doing.” Brian said to her as he quickly looked back at AJ who just rolled his eyes a little before sitting down.

 

“I’m fine.” Chelsea replied as she dipped a piece into some syrup. 

 

“Are you coming to the promos?” Brian asked.

 

“Yeah” She nodded her mouth a little full.

 

“Ok well I’ll see ya there then, don’t forget to call Kevin and let him know what the Doctor said yesterday.” Brian told her before he left the room.

 

“Great now I gotta deal with Brian being pissed at me all day.” AJ sighed as he sat down at the table.  He poked at his eggs and then looked at her.  “I promise I won’t do it again.”

 

Chelsea put her fork down.  “I don’t mind if you need to take off, I get it, really, trust me I do.” She said with a light smile.  “Just answer when I call so I know you’re ok, I promise I won’t bug you, just want to know you’re ok.”

 

“I can do that.” AJ said with a nod as she reached across and took his hand.

 

“Then don’t worry about Brian, he’ll get over it.” She told him.

 

“And if he tells Tim and Jerald?”

 

“I’ll kick his short little ass all the way back to Kentucky.” She muttered as she picked her fork back up.  AJ smirked to himself as he returned his attention back to his breakfast.

 

 

 

AJ sat on the corner of a table as a reporter talked to Brian.  His friend hadn’t said two words too him all day but he was use to it, he was somewhat of a prick, when he was mad anyways.  He had just finished talking to the same reporter; they did a group interview and now were doing a separate one with each, no doubt the media trying to get something good about Kevin being gone.

 

“Dude, he’s pissed and you.” Nick said as he popped an orange slice in his mouth.

 

“No shit Sherlock.” AJ said looking up at him.

 

“What was up with that dream anyways?” Nick asked.  “You were freaking out.”

 

“It was nothing.” AJ sighed not wanting to get into it again.

 

“Dude.” Nick said and AJ rolled his eyes towards him.  “That was not nothing.”  AJ sat there quietly but he could feel Nick’s eyes burning into him.

 

“You know what the Doctor said right?” AJ blurted out with a sigh.

 

“Yeah”

 

“Well I’m worried about what her mind is hiding and I had a nightmare about it, that’s all.” AJ told him.

 

“You think it’s that bad?” Nick asked.

 

“What else could it be, she remembers some pretty horrible stuff but that…” AJ said as he began to get a little choked up.

 

“Rough” Nick said sadly. “Where is she anyways?”

 

“She said Leigh wanted to go check out some stores around here.” AJ said with a shrug.

 

“Dangerous.” Nick replied eyeing him.

 

“She don’t have my card, she’s got Kevin’s.” AJ smiled.

 

“She’s got Kev’s card? She should take us to dinner he owes us a couple.” Nick joked with a smile.

 

“Amen to that.” AJ sighed as a woman called for Nick to go over.

 

“My turn.” Nick sighed.  AJ lightly laughed as he watched Nick walk away and then saw Brian walking over to him. 

 

“Fuck” He sighed under his breath.

 

“Where’s Chelsea?” Brian asked.

 

“She went out with D’s woman.” AJ said nodding to Howie.

 

“And destroying my bank account no doubt.” Howie sighed as he approached them.  “So when is Chelsea gonna hit up Nick again?” He asked with excitement.

 

“I’m not sure.” AJ said with a laugh.  “Might be soon, she caught him trying to put hot pepper into her food.”

 

“Oh snap.” Brian said nodding his head a little.

 

“His feet flopping on the floor like big foot probably gave him away.” Howie said shaking his head.

 

“I hope we’re done soon, I need a nap before sound check.” AJ yawned.

 

“You do look tired did you sleep at all?” Brian asked.

 

“No but don’t tell Chels, I told her I fell asleep watching a movie.” AJ said too them.  “I just want to forget about the stupid nightmare and move on.”

 

“I’m sure it was a one time thing.” Brian told him.

 

“Yeah, exactly.” AJ said with a nod.

 

“Oh crap.” Howie sighed and AJ and Brian looked at him.  He stared off in the distance and AJ turned his head, following his stare.

 

“Nice.” AJ nodded as he saw Leigh walk in with hands both full of bags.  “Ha, and Chelsea has two bags.”

 

“Well yeah, Leigh bought everything else.” Brian said as him and AJ started laughing.

 

“Shut up assholes.” Howie sighed as he walked away from them.

 

“He’s so cute when he’s angry.” AJ laughed.  He caught his breath when Chelsea walked over to him.  “Did you get me a present?” He asked.

 

“Maybe.” She replied with a smile as she pulled the bags away from him.

 

            “Oh” AJ replied raising his eyebrows wondering what she was hiding.  Chelsea laughed as AJ tried to sneak a peak into her bags as Nick walked over.

 

“We’re done.” Nick told them.

 

“Sweet.” AJ sighed as he jumped down from the table.

 

“Anyone going for lunch?” Brian asked.

 

“Not me, I’m going to go take a nap.” AJ said with a yawn. 

 

“What time did you fall asleep?” Chelsea asked as they walked out of the interview room.

 

“Dunno” AJ said with a shrug. “I guess it was late.”