- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday :) Now that it's over, I promise to update more.  I hope you are enjoying to story.  Thanks so much for reading and reviewing! :)

“So, you know my name – I think it’s only fair I know yours,” Donnie said as the plane took off. 

 

This was going to be complicated I thought to myself.  I had no idea how well Donnie knew Nick.  They could be the best of friends, or they could simply be acquaintances.  Who knew.

 

“Whitney,” I said extending my hand.  “Whitney Raine.” Donnie shook my hand.

 

“Have we met before?” He asked. “Your name and face are familiar.”

 

“I’m a fashion designer…” I began.

 

“Oh, yeah…that’s right, my ex-wife loved your shit…uh, stuff,” he said with a slight smile.  “She dragged me to one of your shows in New York a couple years ago.  “I, uh, I don’t think your stuff is shit, um I just like to use that word a lot…” he stammered.

 

“Noted,” I smiled at him.  

 

I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned back.  Trying to carry on an intelligent conversation with Donnie with everything I had on my mind was a little difficult.  However, I also welcomed the distraction.

 

“So, Whitney Raine what brings you to the lovely city of Toronto?” he inquired.  The flight attendant came by and took our drink orders.  “Hot tea, please…” Donnie said sweetly to the flight attendant who blushed.  I smirked.  It was pretty funny to watch.  It used to be the same with Nick whenever we went anywhere.

 

“I’m assuming you have a show tonight…” I said to Donnie, playing stupid.  “The tea…” I said.

 

“Yeah, I finished up my scenes for Blue Bloods this morning so I could wouldn’t have to go back for awhile.  Are you fan of either group?  I can get you tickets if you want…” he offered.

 

“That’s sweet of you, really but I just have to take care of some business and probably don’t have time to go to the show…” I replied.  The last thing I needed was to complicate this entire thing with Nick by associating with Donnie.  He did seem like a really nice guy, though.

 

“Well, how about I get your number then and next time I’m in the city, I’ll take you out to dinner…” he asked.  I let out a little sigh.

 

“I’d really love to Donnie, but things are pretty complicated for me right now…” I looked down.  “I have a little boy, Fashion Week is coming up in a month – I don’t even know when I’d have time.”

 

“All the more reason to make a little time for yourself.  I have two boys, I know how it is.” he said.  He placed his hand over mine that was resting on the armrest.  “I’m really sorry about your son.” he said genuinely.  I had told him about Jackson earlier in the flight.

 

“I’ll tell you what, Donnie, next time you’re in New York, have your people call my people…” We both laughed.  “Seriously, here’s my card – call me at my studio and we’ll see where it goes.”  It was never  going to happen, I knew it.  He would get off the plane and forget all about meeting me I had no doubt.

 

The fasten seatbelt sign came on and the flight attendants began making their way through the first class cabin and collecting our glasses.  I ran my fingers through my hair and sighed. 

 

Donnie looked over, “Well, Whitney – whatever business you have here in Toronto, I hope it works out for you.  It’s been a pleasure, and I’ll be in touch…” he said reaching for my hand.  I offered it to him, and he took my hand and kissed it softly.  

 

“Ha!” I giggled, “my teenage fantasy just came true.” I joked.  

 

“Fantasy, huh?” Donnie winked.  By this point we were at the gate.  Donnie quickly gathered his things and was rushed off.  I’m sure they had a car waiting for him.  Too bad I couldn’t tell him I was going to the same place he was, I could have caught a ride.  I walked up the jet way and found a quiet area where I could call Nick.  I sat down and calmed myself down for a second before I dialed the number that he had texted me from before.  I figured it was his private cell.  By the third ring, my heart was in my throat.

 

“Hello?” I heard Nick’s distinctive voice say.

 

“N-n-nick?” I stammered.  “It’s...”

 

“Whitney,” Nick whispered.  “I know it’s you…I’ve only been trying to call you for two weeks.  Hang on a second,” he said.  I heard some rustling around and him speaking to someone.  Twenty seconds later he was back. “Okay,” he said.  “I can talk now…”

 

It was now or never.  “Nick, I need to see you…” I began.  “I’m in Toronto…”

 

“You’re HERE?” he said loudly.  His voice quieted again.  “Shit, Whitney….”

 

“I know, Nick…I know, but I need to talk to you.  I need to see you, is there any way I can see you before the show tonight?” I asked.

 

“It’s two thirty now…soundcheck is at six.  Where are you?” he wondered.

 

“I’m at the airport but I can meet you anywhere…” I began.

 

“The buses are parked at the arena, but we’re actually staying across the street tonight in the hotels so we already have our rooms over there and Laur…” Nick stopped.

 

“It’s okay, Nick…I know”  I assured him.  “I just need to talk to you…”

 

“Whitney, you’re kind of scaring me,” Nick said.  If he only knew, I thought to myself.  Oh, Nickolas how your world is going to change.  I felt awful.  But I finally had to do this.

 

“Nick, I don’t want to get into it now, I just need to talk to you,” I stayed strong.  “I tried to tell you that night at the club…” I trailed off.

 

“I guess we got a little distracted…” he sighed.

 

“Okay, how about this, I need to stay overnight because I can’t get a flight back until in the morning.  I’ll check into a room at the hotel next door, I’ll text you the room number and you can come over there.  I should be there in about 30 minutes.” I asked him.

 

“That should work, I’ll just say I have a radio interview or something…” he explained.  “See you in thirty.” He said and hung up.  I knew he would spend the next thirty minutes racking his brains trying to figure out why I was here.  What was so important that I flew up here to talk to him?  I stopped by the bathroom and freshened up.  Thankfully, I was still so early in my pregnancy I wasn’t having the horrific nausea I had had with Jackson yet.  I’m sure it was right around the corner.  I was nauseous, sure, but not because I was pregnant.

 

I quickly found a car service to get me to downtown Toronto.  To distract myself while I was in the car, I called my office and had my assistant book me a room at the hotel I had told Nick about so I would be able to check in right away when I got there.  The closer we got, the faster my heart started beating.  I had no idea how this was going to go over.  I knew it could open a huge can of worms.  If he really wanted to be involved, Jackson would have to meet him.  

 

At some point, I would have to deal with the very real possibility that Nick would have visitation.  Of course, all that depended on if Jackson got better.  I shuddered to myself.  Very rarely did I even allow myself to think there was a possibility that I might lose him.  Wasn’t that why I was here in the first place?  Hopefully Nick and I could figure this out, and move forward in the best interests of Jackson.  Hopefully.

 

The car pulled up to the hotel and I grabbed my bag and purse.  I made my way inside and checked in and got my room key.  I texted Nick the room number and made my way up to the 14th floor.  I threw my bag on the bed and began pacing.  I hadn’t even thought of how I was going to start the conversation.  I looked over at the bed.  Whatever happened, we couldn’t end up there.  Not this time. 

 

By this point, I was sure I was going to wring the skin off my hands.  It had been twenty minutes since I texted Nick and I hadn’t gotten a response.  I hoped he was able to get away.  A knock at the door interrupted my thoughts.  I slowly walked over and paused for a second before opening the door slightly just to make sure he was alone.  His piercing blue eyes met my gaze.

 

“Hi,” I whispered softly stepping back allowing him to enter.  “Come on in….”