- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks SO much for the reviews!  They keep me inspired.  Two chapters tonight.  Will try to update over the weekend.

Eight Years Ago

It was the last day of classes our junior year at Parson’s The New School of Design, one of the most renowned fashion design programs in the world.  We all sat in the last class, of the last day and waited for our no-nonsense professor to pass out our summer internship assignments.  I had worked so hard this year.  I knew the internship at Versace was in the bag.  Paris, Milan, Rome – here I come!  One of my closest friends in the program sat next to me eagerly awaiting her assignment as well. 

“God, I hope I can stay right here in NYC this summer and work for Vera Wang,” Tiffany clutched her hands to her chest.  “I want to design wedding dresses for her some day, what an amazing opportunity”.

“Class, is everyone ready?” Professor Marin spoke in her thick, French accent.  “I know you all have been waiting for your assignments.  You have one week to get to your destination, all of your arrangements are included in your packets.  I want each one of you to know that I have thought about these assignments thoroughly and I have my reasons for each one.  You may read through it, and think I don’t know you as a designer, but that is quite the opposite.  I am challenging you as designers and I want you to step outside of your comfort zone.  It will take you a long time in your career to get where you want to, or think you need to be.  And, now…”

She began passing out packets and murmurs and excited whispers began to spread throughout the room, “Chanel…”, “Tommy Hilfieger…” I saw people start hugging each other and jumping up and down. 

Tiffany was handed her packet, “Alexander McQueen!!” she screamed.  “I’m going to London!  We’ll see each other over the summer!!” she grabbed me in a bear hug.

Professor Marin stopped in front of me with my packet.  “Ms. Raine,” she said looking at me sternly.  “Remember, I had my reasons.  You were one of the most difficult to place because of your style range.  Like I said, I wanted to challenge you.  I think I hit the nail, right on the head,” she placed the envelope on the desk and walked briskly away.

I ripped open the packet and began to read.  I gasped.  Hot tears stung my eyes.  I could barely breathe.  Three years, and this is what I get?  All the voices in the room began to fade away.  My knees started to buckle and I sat down on the stool in front of my design table.

“Come on, Whit! Did you get Versace?  Are we going to be Euro-girls this summer!  Don’t leave me hanging…” She said excitedly, still clutching her envelope to her chest.

I looked up at her and with barely a whisper told her, “I’m going on tour with…the Backstreet Boys?”.How that was even an internship?  I began to read more.  I was to report to Los Angeles where I would participate in final costume design and fittings for their summer tour.  I would then travel on the road with them for the summer and be responsible for alterations, re-design, show fittings and on and on.  This was crazy.  This was not what I had worked three years for.  I was a serious designer.  Who was Professor Marin kidding?

“Wow!!  I would trade you in a second,” Tiffany said.  “You’re going to have a blast!”

“Tiff, are you kidding?  Is this even a serious assignment? I wanted to design, I wanted to immerse myself in these houses of fashion…not, ride around on a bus for the summer!!” I stammered.  God, I could sound really pretentious when I wanted to.

What value did any of this have in my career?  I had no idea.  The thought of just bagging the whole thing went through my head.  But then I would be throwing it all away.  I was stuck.  I just had to suck it up and gut it out this summer.  Who knew what this would do to my career. 

“I thought Professor Marin liked me,” I said to Tiffany choking back tears “Guess the truth comes out, huh?”

“Well, she did say that she had her reasons, maybe you should just trust her – it’s only three and half months, Whit…it’s not like it’s the rest of your life! ..and besides,  have you seen a Backstreet Boys video lately?  Um, at least you’ll have hot men to look at!” she laughed.

“Yeah, probably narcissistic, ego-maniacal assholes…can’t wait,” I replied sarcastically.  “Well, better get back to the dorm and start packing.  This should be interesting.”

…and that was that.  A week later, I took a cab to JFK Airport and checked in with two suitcases (which comprised my entire life) for my flight to Los Angeles.  I boarded the plane, took my seat and looked out the window as the plane began its taxi down the runway, I watched as the New York skyline grew smaller and smaller and couldn’t be sure if I was running from or running to something.  The last several years had been hard.  I had never known my father, and when I was 17, my mother had been killed in a car accident.  No aunts, no uncles, no grandparents.  No family.  Thank God for scholarships.  I had been moving at full speed for the last 3 years in school, with no one but my best friend from high school, Lila to lean on.

Three and half months until school started back up.   I had spent some time perusing the internet and reading about the Backstreet Boys.  Sure, I knew some of their songs, but I wouldn’t have called myself a fan.  It seemed a few of them led a pretty interesting life, to put it mildly.  Two of them were married.  The other three, well let’s just say it sounded like they liked to have a good time.  What did it really matter?  I was there to do a job.  Nothing much could happen in three months, right?