- Text Size +

As I stepped off the plane the hot and humid LA air hit me full force.  I looked around and took in my surroundings.  “We are definitely not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy” I said under my breath.  I started walking towards baggage claim.  Blonde bimbo, after blonde bimbo walked by me. “What in the hell is the purpose of wearing Ugg boots with shorts?” I thought to myself.  I ran my hand through my long, auburn hair and pulled it up into a loose ponytail, my neck already sweaty from the heat.  Well, at least I’ll be in the minority here – my hair color wasn’t going to change.   I was glad I had thought ahead and was wearing a short maxi dress with a pair of flat sandals – so the heat didn’t bother me.

As I entered the baggage claim area, I saw a throng of men with cameras chasing after someone.  I was just about stampeded by 100 screaming girls.  I craned my neck to see over the crowd and the guy in front turned around.  “A couple of boy banders…” he said to me as he walked away.  “Nothing new…”.  So this is what I had to look forward to, I thought to myself.

I grabbed my bag and walked out to find a car to take me to the hotel I was staying in.  Before I could get outside, I walked by a gentleman holding a sign that had my name on it.  Apparently I didn’t need a taxi.

I got in the car and as we drove off I began to take in the sights.  As we entered into downtown LA, the driver began pointing out various landmarks.  The contrast between New York City and LA was astounding.  

He pulled up the driveway to the hotel and got my bags out for me.  I gave him a tip and headed inside to the registration desk.  There were TONS of people hanging out in the lobby.  Someone important must be staying here, I thought to myself.  I went up to the registration desk and checked in.  I was given my room key, and informed that I had a roommate.  This should be interesting. 

I was exhausted from my flight and all I wanted to do was crawl in bed.  Even though it was only 8:00 p.m. L A time, I was still functioning as an East Coaster.  I walked in the room and flopped down on the bed as I heard someone come out of the bathroom and I looked up to see a tall, leggy brunette with an outstretched hand. 

“I’m Kassie,” she said as I shook her hand.  “It’s nice to meet you.”  I said.

She was tall, very sophisticated looking with bright, green eyes.  I knew instantly that we were going to get along.  “This is my second year on the tour, how did you get in?” she asked.

I explained to her about my internship and how I had been hoping to go to Europe.  “Well, this is definitely an adventure.  We’re a pretty fun team.  Just watch out for Ms. Helga.  She heads up the team and she tries to keep us all on the straight and narrow…” she laughed.  “They’ll explain more to you tomorrow, but basically from what I understand you will get to consult on some of the design of the boys clothes.  Sometimes we help them out for outside appearances and stuff.  Then when tour starts next week, each one of us will be assigned one guy to assist with costume changes during the show.  Last year, I had Kevin – he’s kind of boring.  I’m calling AJ this year!” She laughed.  “Anyway, we can talk more about that later, let’s go out and party…” she said excitedly.

“Actually, I was going to go to bed, I’m beat and to be honest I’m really not that much of a partier…” I said as I began to unpack. 

“Let me explain something to you, Whitney,” she said as she began going through her suitcase.  “As of tomorrow, life as you know it for the next couple of months will be over.  Tonight is your last hurrah. Let me take you out and show you the fun side of LA. We’ll head over to Avalon, I know the doorman and if the right person is working tonight I can get us into Bardot, the VIP lounge on the 2nd floor.  You won’t even need an ID…”.  She pulled out a silver, shimmery, tube dress and handed it over to me.  “Wear this,” she said, “and if you have a pair of sexy, black sandals put those on.  You never know who you’ll run into in the VIP lounge.”  Kassie didn’t seem like someone I should argue with, and I really didn’t want to start out on the wrong foot with her anyway.  I took a quick shower and when I got out, I could tell she was anxious to go.  It took me about 30 minutes – the last 5 with Kassie ‘enhancing’ my makeup.  I’d never worn that much makeup in my life, but I had to admit, I felt pretty sexy. 

We headed downstairs and as I stepped out of the elevator, I again saw the huge crowds.  “This place is pretty crowded for a hotel,” I said to Kassie.

“The boys are staying here, these are all the groupies waiting down in the lobby for any sight of them, the only ones they may remotely have a chance with would be AJ or Nick and maybe Howie, but he’s pretty discreet.  A couple of days before the tour starts, they bring in everyone to the same  hotel – roadies, management, hair and makeup people, wardrobe, and the guys…”.  I nodded.  That explained it.  “Tomorrow or Friday, we’ll have a huge production meeting. The guys kick off the tour Saturday night at the Staples Center and then right after that – on the buses we go…” she explained.

We pulled up to the club and got out of the cab about a half a block away.  As we walked up there were throngs of people and a huge line.  Kassie grabbed my hand and we snaked around the people on the outside of the line.  We made it up to the front amidst some elbows and protests.  “Hi Jason…” Kassie said very sweetly to the tall, bald guy standing at the podium. 

His eyes lit up. “Hey girl!  What are you doing back in LA?” He said, obviously excited to see her.

“Doing the BSB tour again this summer.  Tell me you’re going to make my dreams come true and let me inside.  It’s our last night of freedom!”  He laughed at her and motioned his head towards the door.  “I’ll let Marco know you’re cleared for VIP,” he said as he spoke into a microphone on his wrist.  Membership apparently had its privileges around here.

As I stepped inside, the loud electric beat of one of the latest dance songs began pounding in my ears.  We headed over to a corner I’m assuming so Kassie could assess the situation.  “Nothing’s happening down here,” she said as she began making her way to a staircase in the back corner.  I’m assuming the man in the suit standing there was Marco.  He unhooked the red velvet rope and let us thru and we made our way up the dark stairs.

As we got to the top of the stairs, the quiet startled me.  You could see the dance floor below, but you could barely hear it.  It was actually so quiet up here, I felt like I needed to whisper.

Kassie motioned over an area of white leather couches.  “Look what’s over there – AJ and Nick, holding court,” she laughed.  They were surrounded by at least 8 blondes.  AJ had a girl sitting on his lap with the biggest breasts I had ever seen.  She giggled as he moved his hand up between her legs and flipped her hand over her shoulder.    

“That’s fabulous,” I muttered to Kassie rolling my eyes.  She looked over her shoulder at me and laughed. 

“Get used to it, they’re complete man-whores,” she said as she made her way over in that direction.

“They kind of look like they’re busy,” I whispered as we walked over to the bar.  Kassie stopped just short of their area and leaned against the bar.

“There really is no place like LA,” Kassie said.  She glanced over towards the guys, and caught AJ’s eye.”

“Kassie, baby,” he shouted over here.  Kassie led me over to their small roped off area.  AJ sat up, basically dumping bimbo on the floor.  “Sorry honey,’ said to her as he stood to give Kassie a hug.

“I’d heard you were on the tour again this summer.  It’s going to be a blast,” he laughed as he gave her a high five.  I was getting the feeling that there was something more going on between these two. 

“Hey, let me introduce you to Whitney,” she said pushing me in front of her.   “She’ll be working with us in wardrobe…”.  AJ offered his hand, and as he grasped it he enclosed his other hand over mine.

“Always nice to have another beautiful lady on the tour,” he said with a genuine smile on his face.  His eyes twinkled.  I felt a real kindness emulate off of him and I began to relax a little.

“Well, Whitney – since you’ll be joining us I guess you need to meet ‘shit for brains’ here,” he said as he turned around towards Nick, who happened to have his tongue stuck down one of the silicone enhanced Barbie dolls.  AJ kicked him, “Nizzle…come up for air…”

“What the fuck, AJ…” Nick said as he looked up clearly annoyed.  When he saw Kassie his eyes lit up.  “Claaaaaassy Kassie,” he said as he stood.  Another bimbo almost on the floor, I smirked.

“What’s up Nicky?” she said pulling him into a friendly hug.  “We were just out enjoying the last night of freedom,” she smiled.  Both of them nodded in agreement. 

“Yeah, Kevin’s already called both of use six times at least – I finally turned my phone off,” AJ laughed.  “He’s just jealous we don’t have a ball and chain.” AJ looked over at Nick. “Nick, this is Whitney…please don’t’ scare her off for at least a month,” he kidded him.  My eyes met Nick’s and held for a moment.  I had never seen eyes that color before.  I had blue eyes, but his – they were the most intense blue I had ever seen in my life.  I embarrassingly looked down as I reached up and twirled a lock of hair around my finger.  I did that when I get nervous. 

“So, Whitney…a little birdie told me that you’ll probably be my wardrobe manager.  You get to take my pants off…” he smirked as he puffed up his chest and gyrated his hips.

“Gee, must be my lucky day…” I said sarcastically as I rolled my eyes.  AJ laughed.  Nick seemed to get a little quiet.

“I think she’s going to fit in just fine,” AJ said as he signaled the bartender to put our drinks on  his tab.  “Kassie, just wait until her first movie night…” he winked at her.  Kassie smiled.  She gave me a look that told me she’d tell me later. We talked with them for another 30 minutes or so, AJ mostly talking about the cruise.  A couple of times, I caught Nick staring at me and I looked away.  I didn’t need him thinking his wardrobe girl was crushing on him.  I had a sneaking suspicion once the tour started, I wouldn’t be seeing much of him anyway.

After another 30 minutes or so of the boys being constantly interrupted, Kassie and I got up to leave.  Nick had gotten really quiet, and AJ was making fun of him.  “I’m going to have to carry lightweight here back to the hotel, you girls want to ride in the limo?” he asked.

“As if you even need to ask,” Kassie said. As we made our way downstairs.  The limo had pulled up in the back, so the guys wouldn’t have to deal with the fans.  We got in the car to head back and Kassie sat on AJ’s lap.  There was still plenty of room, so I wasn’t sure what that was about.  Nick sat slumped over in the corner.  It almost looked like he was pouting.

AJ began to nuzzle Kassie’s neck as she giggled.  She looked over at me and winked.  “I kind of forgot to tell you that AJ and I are friends with benefits.” It all made sense now.

“Why don’t I have a friend with benefits….” Nick pouted.  AJ patted him on the head and laughed.

“Nizzle, you’re not lacking in that department either, just wait until next week…” he laughed.  “You coming back to my room tonight, baby?” AJ asked Kassie. 

"Mmmmmm, maybe for a little while – I”ll give Whitney a chance to get to sleep,” she said as we pulled up to the hotel.  As we got out of the limo, it was mobbed with at least 40 girls.  Apparently the guys security had been alerted that they were returning because they were able to hold them back to at least let them get out of the car and make their way into the hotel.  It was madness even at  2:00 a.m. in the morning.  Insanity.

We made our way into the elevators relatively unscathed.  Well, Nick almost lost his shirt.  AJ pushed the button for his floor as he slid his hands around Kassie’s waist.  “We’re off on seven,” he said as the doors opened.  “You kids have a good night…make sure you’re at rehearsal by 11:00 a.m. or Kevin will have a coronary,” he said to  Nick as the elevator doors closed. 

Nick had pushed floor 18, but when the door opened on my floor he followed me out of it and down the hall. “Hey Whitney,” he said slightly slurring his speech.  “Why don’t you like me?” I turned around puzzled.  He leaned up against the wall.  He was shitfaced, I finally figured out.  I guess I hadn’t realized it when we were around everyone else.

“What gave you that impression?” I said as I got to my door and began to take my key out.

“Well, you’re not like…you know, trying to go back to my room with me…and, I was kind of hinting about it earlier.  Most girls would have jumped in my lap right then…” If it wasn’t so sad, it would actually have been kind of cute.  He really didn’t get it. 

“Nick,” I said softly.  I chose my words carefully.  It wouldn’t really be a good thing to piss off one of the big guns before this ridiculous thing even started.  “I hardly know you.  I’m here to do a job this summer, and really if you’re looking for another notch on your bedpost, I’m not your girl…” I looked down.

He looked at me with a goofy smile and made a low whistle..  “Craaash and burn,” he laughed.  “Well, alright then…I’m going to go upstairs and go to bed…” he reached out for my hand and pulled me into a hug.  I let myself fall into his arms.  He smelled like laundry detergent and AXE  I felt butterflies in my stomach.  Don’t, don’t don’t I told myself, don't get sucked in.  He’s a man-whore.  He kissed me on the cheek.  I felt a blush go up my face.  He looked at me with a smoldering look in his eye and before he walked away said, “I think we’re going to have a great time this summer…” I slid the key in the door, went inside and leaned up against the wall.  This was going to be a long, hot summer.