- Text Size +

The next two days were absolutely insane.  Final costume fittings were the next afternoon and all the guys loved their updated wardrobes.  I thought Howie was going to cry, he looked so happy.  At the final costume fittings, we were assigned to each guy who we would be assisting in the show.


As Nick had mentioned, Ms. Helga assigned me as his wardrobe manager.  I’d get to help take his pants off sooner, rather than later it seemed.  In all seriousness, the show was amazing from start to finish.  I was again blown away by everything that went in to these shows.  Nick and I had to practice his wardrobe changes numerous times.  The first change occurred at 18 minutes into the show and we had exactly 1:46 seconds to accomplish it.  The second change, 23 minutes after that and we had 2:06 seconds.  The third change was a longer change so the guys could rest, for that change we got a whopping 4:26 seconds.  The final change was for the encore – it was when the boys changed into their jersey’s so it didn’t take a lot of effort but it had to be really fast.  I just had to have everything ready to go and be ready to do any repairs at a seconds notice. 


During the actual show, we would be able stand to the side to watch if we wanted to.  It was pretty cool to be so close.  I met Brian and Kevin’s wives and they seemed to be pretty nice.  Leighanne was about seven months pregnant.  Kristen was really nice as well, she introduced herself to us and she seemed very pleasant.  Howie had a girlfriend that kind of kept to herself.  I don’t even think she talked to Leighanne and Kristen.


I could tell from just doing the dress rehearsals with Nick that once the first beats of music started, he was all about business.  He was born to do this and before I knew it, opening night had arrived.  We had to be at the Staples Center at 4:00 p.m.  All of our stuff was already packed and on the bus.  I was on a bus with Kassie and two other girls from the wardrobe team.  The bus wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t a luxury either.  We each had a bunk and a storage area for our luggage.  There was one bathroom and a shower and one sink for four girls. This would be interesting.  We did have a small TV and a little kitchenette with a small fridge and microwave.  I figured I would be so exhausted after the shows, I would just end up crashing anyway.  Kassie had told me that if we had a day off after the show, they would usually put us up in hotels.


When I got to the arena, I went straight to the backstage area.  I knew the guys had sound check at 5:00 p.m. and they were doing a ton of press, radio interviews and meet and greets.  I glanced over at Nick and he was surrounded by a mass of girls.  I felt a twinge of jealousy and I must have gotten lost in my thoughts because the next thing I knew, I heard Kassie say “you know,  you’re going to have to get used to it if you think anything is going to happen with Nick…”  she said as she nodded over in that direction. 


I turned around and finished getting his clothes and accessories in order.  “I’ve known him for 3 days,” I shrugged.  “Who knows what’s going to happen after tonight,” I ran my fingers through my hair pulling it up into a loose bun and securing it with a couple of pins.  “There’s going to be girls in every city.” I said bluntly. 


“Who knows,” Kassie said.  “I learned a long time ago not to expect too much out of AJ,” she said softly.  “I don’t like to push it, I know when I’m not in LA he’s not waiting around.”


About an  hour later, I heard the music begin for the opening act.  I was giving all the clothes another once over when I felt someone come up behind me.  Nick snaked his arms around my waist and pulled me back into him.


“Show time, baby,”  he whispered softly in my ear.  “Gonna wish me luck?” I turned around and looked into his eyes.  He looked amazing.  His hair was teased up in a messy spike.  He had on black jeans, a wife beater and a black leather jacket.  He sensed my nervousness at being seen by Ms. Helga so he took my hand and led me over behind a rack of clothes.


He pulled me into his arms and I wrapped my hands around his waist.  “Good luck, tonight…” I said looking up at him.  His blue eyes were lit up in excitement.  “I would say break a leg, but I’ve never really thought that meant good luck,” I giggled.


“Thanks, I think,,,” he laughed softly.  “Look, I just want you to know that tonight after the show is going to be crazy.  The next couple of days are going to be really busy.  I probably won’t see much of you, I just wanted you to know that it wasn’t because I didn’t want to.  Kevin wants us all to ride on me and AJ’s bus tonight so we can talk about the show and if any changes need to be made.  I’ve already got 2 radio interviews lined up tomorrow, and all kinds of meet and greets.  I probably won’t see you until tomorrow night,” he said as he stroked my cheek.


“I get it,” I said.  “Don’t worry about me, I’m just going back to the bus tonight and crash,” I said.  We were heading out immediately after the show heading up towards Portland, Oregon.  Seattle, Washington was right after that. 


“As soon as things settle down, I want you to hang out on my bus,  if you want,” he grinned.


“We’ll see,” I said winking.  “Remember, I’m not that kind of girl,” I said, kissing his cheek. 


He chuckled softly, “you don’t have to stay the whole night – most of the times the buses stop to refuel around 2 or 3:00 a.m.  If you don’t want to spend the night you can get back on your bus.  I will say though, I can guarantee that my bed is more comfortable than yours.” He said with a sparkle in his eye.


“Oh, really…” I said as I disentangled myself from him arms and began to walk away.  I could hear the crowd getting louder and louder.  The anticipation was building, the show would be starting in a few minutes. 


“Really!!!” Nick said as he ran by me, slapping me right on the ass.  “Let’s rock it guys,” I heard him say as he made his way up to the top of the stairs.  “5, 4, 3, 2, 1….” I heard the stage manager count down.  The pyrotechnics went off, and even though I didn’t think it was possible, the crowd got louder.


The show went off without a hitch.  I didn’t even see Nick at the end as they were all whisked away by management, presumably to do press.  I was so exhausted by the time we got to the buses, I think I was asleep before we even pulled out of the parking lot.  As tiny as our bunks were, there was something pretty relaxing about sleeping on the bus.


I barely saw Nick at all over the next several days.  By night six, we were in Phoenix with Albuquerque, New Mexico the next stop.  Everything was running like a finely oiled machine by this point.  I had made some changes to the costumes based on feedback from the first several shows.  Leighanne had also asked me to design a dress for her to wear to the Grammy’s that winter, after the baby was born.  That was pretty exciting.  Especially if she was asked on the red carpet who had designed her dress.  Maybe graduating from Parson’s and having my own line soon after wasn’t that lofty of a goal after all. 


The atmosphere was pretty laid back the day of the Phoenix show, I’d been hanging out on the bus for most of the day.  Around 4:30, I decided to head in to the arena to start getting things ready for the evening.  Nick was tossing a football back and forth with AJ, they were putting a show on for some fans who were hanging out behind the fence.  When he saw me, he ran over.


“Hey, Whit…” he said throwing his arm around me as we made our way inside the arena. “So, you want to ride with me to Albuquerque tonight?” he said, raising his eyebrows and giving me a little smirk.


“If you’re lucky,” I laughed, as I jokingly elbowed him in the rib. 


“Seriously,” he said.  “After the show, hop on my bus before we roll out.  AJ and I are just going to watch some movies and hang out.  Low key.  I guess he’s asking Kassie to come over as well.  You can go back on your bus when we stop, or…” he teased.  I knew where his mind was.


“Sure,” I said as entwined my fingers in his. “I’d like to come hang out with you tonight.” 


“Cool, we don’t have any press after the show tonight.  Jared said we’re rolling out half our after encore.” He gave me a quick peck on the cheek as he walked away. 


“Have a good sound check…” I called after him.


After the show that night, I headed back to get a couple things from the bus.  Kassie grabbed an overnight bag, but I made it a point not to grab anything.  I didn’t want to be a tease, but I was also wise enough to know, that to keep a guy interested, you shouldn’t be giving it up so soon.  Even if he was Nick Carter.  Especially if he was Nick Carter, I thought to myself.  I quickly changed into my most comfortable pair of jeans and a casual, but low cut light pink t-shirt.  I was going for a casual, sexy but I’m not really trying to impress look.  Kassie nodded approvingly.  When I got over to Nick and AJ’s bus, Nick opened up the door.  Kassie hopped right past Nick and made her way up the steps.  Nick stood on the first step looking down at me with a killer grin.  His hair was still fresh from the shower he must have taken right after the show.  I could tell he had just shaved.  He was wearing an extremely ratty Tampa Bay Bucs t-shirt with a pair of basketball shorts.  He grabbed my hand and pulled me up the step right into his arms.  He smelled amazing between the clean scent of soap and the subtle smell of shaving cream.


“I’m glad you’re here,” he said his lips grazing my ear.  Tingles shot through me.


“So am I,” I said softly reaching up to trace his lips.  He leaned down and kissed me softly.  He turned around taking my hand and leading me up the  short staircase. 


“This is our driver, Gary,” Nick said introducing me to the large, jolly man sitting in the driver’s seat.  “He’s been with us since the late 90’s.” 


“Party central, huh” I said as I reached out to shake his hand.


“More like the short bus, with these two knuckleheads,” he laughed.  “Ya’ll have fun tonight, don’t mind me.” he said as he pushed the button to close the door.  Nick gave me a quick tour of the bus, which was about twice the size of the one I was riding on.  There was a large area with a loveseat sized couch and  a recliner that AJ was sitting in, with a huge screen TV.  Kassie was in the little kitchen area popping the tops off of two bottles of Corona.  Behind the kitchen area was the bathroom that actually had a bathtub (seriously, how did the guys end up with a bathtub but four girls had to split a shower?)  Down a short hallway was a set of bunks where Nick explained that sometimes the security guys would sleep in.  In the very back, Nick and AJ each had a little compartment that had a double sized bed.  Nick’s was on the right, AJ’s on the left.  We made our way back up towards the front of the bus as I heard the engine start.


Nick sat down on the loveseat as the buses began to pull out of the parking lot, laying his tall frame down the length of it.  He reached out and took my hand pulling me down in between his legs.  I let myself lay back against his chest, my head resting under his chin.  His hands moved up and began massaging my shoulders. 


“So,” AJ said turning on the TV.  “What movie are we watching tonight.” A vote was taken and we decided to go retro 80’s cheesy horror movie and watch the first “Nightmare on Elm Street”.  Kassie moved off the arm of the chair into AJ”s lap.


I closed my eyes as the movie began allowing myself to enjoy the shoulder rub I was getting from Nick.  “Do you hear that,” he whispered in my ear.


“Hear what?” I said turning to look up at him.


“Exactly,” he said as he moved his  hands from my shoulders and entwined his fingers in mine wrapping both arms around me.  “Nothing, except the movie…no managers, no screaming fans, no someone telling us to do this, or do that…”


“No Kevin bitching…” AJ said as they both laughed.


“Tonight is the first night of quiet we’ve had since the tour began,” Nick said as AJ nodded.  I nestled back into his chest as he pulled a Bucs blanket over us.  We all settled down into a quiet mood watching the movie.  During the scary parts, I pretended not to watch and would bury my face under the blankets.


After the movie was over, AJ faked a huge yawn and grabbed Kassie’s hand.  “Okay, you crazy kids,” he said as he pulled her up.  “I’m hitting the sack,” he and Kassie made their way back to his room.  As he walked through the kitchen area, he flipped a switch which dimmed the lights.  As I heard the door close, Nick shut the TV off.


“So,” he said whispered tilting my chin up with his finger.  “all alone.”  He brought his lips down softy on mine.  His tongue traced my lips, begging for entry which I willingly granted.  He deepened the kiss entwining his fingers in my long hair pulling me closer as our tongues danced together.  He softly nibbled on my lower lip.    


I pulled away and laid my head down on his chest, playing with the numerous holes in his shirt, just enjoying being close to him.  My hair splayed across his chest.  Lightly massaging the back of my neck with the tip of his fingers, I heard him sigh.  “I’ve been waiting for that for days,” he uttered.


“Nice shirt,” I laughed softly as I poked a finger through one of the many holes and lightly massaged a small circle on his belly.


“I’ve had this shirt since I was 14,” he explained.  “I guess you could say it’s kind of the last bit of home I have when I’m on the road,” he said as I looked up at him.  “If I had to grab one thing in a fire, this would probably be it.” He chuckled softly. 


I sat up so that I straddled him and put my hands on each side of his face.  Lowering my lips, I grazed his forehead and as he closed his eyes, I gently rained kisses down his face.  I brought my lips down on his as he pulled me into another mind searing kiss. His hands moving to my back, caressing me softly, pulling me down so I was laying on top of him.  His hands moved down grabbing my ass, pulling me back up.  I could feel the evidence of his arousal through his shorts.  I was on fire.  His blue eyes were almost black at this point, engulfed with desire.  He pulled me down and gently rolled me off the loveseat onto the carpeted floor. I laid on my back as Nick moved down next to me on his side.  His hand moved under my shirt, and I felt him unclasping my bra.  I vaguely remember thinking that he was pretty talented to be able to do it with only one hand, because his other was already moving up to grab my breast.


“Nick….” I said, my voice heavy with passion.  “Oh, my god…” I murmured as he massaged me gently.  I lowered my hand and felt him through his shorts.  With one hand, I gently massaged him as I raked my nails up his back with my other hand.  He lifted himself off of me and pulled his shirt off.  I rubbed my hands over his smooth chest.  I could barely breathe.  With an inner moan of pleasure and need, I moved my hands down to the waistband of his shorts.


“God, Whitney I want you,” Nick said in a hoarse whisper.  His hands slipped over my breasts, cupping them possessively.  I moved my hands lower, wanting to please him.  Nick devoured my mouth, as I encircled him with my fingers and began a slow sensual massage.  I felt one of his hands leave my breast and begin a slow descent south. I felt the heat of his fingers as they delved beneath my silky thong, I opened my legs to allow him access as pulled back and looked in my eyes. 


I threw my head back as I closed my eyes.  “No baby,” Nick whispered.  “Look in my eyes, I want to see what I’m doing to you,”  I encircled my fingers around his shaft and began to move up and down, slowly at first and then increasing the speed, Nick responded and matched my rhythm with his hand on me.


“I can’t…oh my god, baby.  FUCK!” Nick said as the friction of my fingers increased.  He  reached down and grabbed my hand pulling it up and entwining my fingers in  his, as he pulled his hand out of my panties.  “I can’t take it anymore…I want you now!” I nodded my agreement as we sat up.  I was ready to go all the way.  I reached up to pull my shirt over my head and all of a sudden felt the bus lurch. 


Lights in the front came on as Gary’s booming voice announced, “if anyone’s awake we’re at the refuel stop.”  I collapsed on Nick’s chest still breathing heavily as his arms wrapped around me.  In that  moment, my brain took over. As much as I wanted him, I knew we needed to wait.  But would he wait for me?  I guess I was going to find out.


“That dude has got the worst timing…” Nick laughed sarcastically.


“Saved by the bus…” I said as I stood up.  Laughing nervously, I reached for his hand.  He stood up, his tall frame towering over me.


“I know you’re not going to like this, but I’m going to go back on my bus..” I said kissing him softly on the cheek.


“I was afraid you were going to say that…” he said as he pulled me into a close hug.  “We’ve got plenty more time…” he said gently placing a kiss on the forehead.  “I’m not going to rush you.”  After about ten more kisses, I made my way quietly down the steps of the bus.  Looking around for prying eyes and not seeing any, I quickly made my way back to my bus.  I snuggled down into my bunk, but was unable to sleep.  Had I just made the biggest mistake of my life or was this just the beginning for us?

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks so much for reading and thanks for the reviews!  Please keep them coming!   A couple more chapters of the flashback and then we'll get back to the present day drama :)