- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you all enjoy the update. Things are about to get crazy. thanks for reading :)
Chapter 25






Nick and Amanda spent the next day almost in trances. Nick had gotten a bodyguard after his wife pleaded with him. She wouldn't leave the house, hovering over Bryan and watching him with vigilance. Even Aaron was hesitant to venture outside alone, always taking the dogs when he strolled down the beach. Romy was small, but Michelle, being a golden retriever she could better protect him.

As a mother, Amanda was beside herself with worry over Celine. She couldn't take her mind off of it no matter how Nick or anyone tried. She didn't eat much or even smile....she would hold Bryan and sigh, her mind on her baby girl. It broke Nick's heart to see his wife so depressed.

"I'm gonna find Celine, Jay. If it is the last thing I will do.....I will get her back." Nick vowed. Amanda heard him in the other room, the last thing she wanted was Nick to do something stupid.

"Baby, please don't go looking for her. I can't lose you too. What if that is why they took her?" Amanda told him tearfully. Nick felt guilty as he went to sit on the front porch, holding the battered teddy bear once more.

"Hello, son. You seem troubled...is everything okay?" Bob called, walking up to him. Nick ran a hand through his head and sighed, his eyes watering. He shook it away, trying to be strong in front of his father.

"Celine was kidnapped the other day, dad." he said simply as he looked at his feet.

"I'm sorry to hear that, is there anything that I can do?"

Nick shook his head, feeling his father's hand on his back.

"Mom was upset when she heard too." he replied.

"You spoke to your mother? You are better off without her in your life, Nickolas. Jane Carter is not to be trusted. Especially after all she did to you and Aaron."

"She apologized dad. We talked and she wants to be a family." Nick said, his stomach feeling sick. He had felt fine until they talked about Jane.

"Well, you are an adult now, I respect your decision....but please be careful." Bob cautioned. His brown eyes fell on the bear in Nick's hand.

"I haven't seen that bear since you were a baby...where did you get it?" he smiled. Nick stared at him, his eyebrow raised.

"This was in Celine's crib when she went missing. How can it be mine?"

"I'd know Buttons anywhere. You never went anywhere without it. See the eye? You cried something terrible when the neighbor's kid tore it off." Bob explained. Nick's eyes snapped open....but there was no way.....not after all he and Jane had talked about....

"Oh my god....Dad you don't think Mom took her?" he gasped, dropping the bear.



All he could think about was what his father told him after the car accident.....

"Your Mom wanted a baby girl but she got you instead...."



"Nick, I wouldn't put it past her." Bob replied, noticing his son's expression. Nick looked like a deflated balloon, holding his chest with one hand and his head with the other.

"No...."

"She wanted a girl, and you had what she wanted. Of course she would take advantage of your kindness." Bob added.

Nick felt sick to his stomach....he doubled over and vomited into the shrubs.....until he had nothing left and broke down sobbing. Bob did his best to comfort his son, but Nick just kept blaming himself.

"It's all my fault, Dad. I let her into my life....I am such an idiot." he said.

"No, you're not. You had good intentions, but now I think this is a matter for the police to handle, don't you?"

"Yes....thanks for coming, Dad. I'll be in touch." Nick said slowly, an idea forming in his head. He had to make it up to Amanda, had to fix the mess he made.

"Please call the police." Bob begged. Nick promised him he would and closed the door as Amanda walked around the corner.

"Baby?"
Nick almost jumped out of his skin, shouting.

"Jesus, you scared me." he whispered, clutching his chest.

"You all right?" Amanda asked. Nick felt his stomach churning again and told her he didn't feel well, so he went to lie down. Just before he did so, he called the number his mother had given him, his heart pounding.


"The party you are trying to reach has been disconnected or is no longer in service."

"Goddamn it!!!!" Nick shouted angrily. This pretty much confirmed his suspicion. Nick's mind raced, wondering what he should do. There was only one thing he could do.



That afternoon, Nick managed to talk Amanda into leaving Bryan with AJ just to come to rehearsals....to get her mind off of things for a little while. Amanda was stubborn, but with some gentle pleading Nick got her to go to the club. He waited until after she left, promising to meet her there after taking a shower. However, when he got in the car...all he could think about was Jane. Why had she come back into his life just for this? Was everything a lie just to get to Celine? Nick remembered during her time at the house how she kept looking at their family portrait on the wall. The portrait did not include Bryan yet as Amanda wanted to wait until he was a bit older to get a new picture taken.

Nick remembered the way his mother looked at the baby girl in his wife's arms....her cold stare. He knew now what she had been thinking and he felt sick all over again. He knew how stupid he had been, and as he sat at the traffic light his concience ate at him.



"It's your fault. You're to blame...."

Nick turned the steering wheel and sighed as the light changed, hoping to God he was making the right choice.




Amanda waited at the club, tapping her foot as she looked at the door anxiously. She already hated leaving Bryan at home and now Nick was running late.

"I am sure he is fine, boss. You know how your husband is." Skye, Nick's drummer said. Usually she would be cracking jokes, but after Nick's car accident several months ago she knew it wasn't appropriate. She saw the look of worry on Amanda's face.

"That's the problem....I do know how he is and it worries me. I have a really bad feeling." Amanda told her, feeling herself shiver. She had told Brian a few days ago to keep an eye on her husband because she knew he wanted to go after Celine, to look for their little girl. Part of her hoped he was doing that now. Amanda had called Nick's phone but it kept going to voicemail. The last time this happened, was when Nick was in a car accident.....in a coma for two days. The sinking feeling in her stomach told her this was not just him running late. He always called. Always.


"Rehearsal is canceled for today." Amanda said tearfully when she decided he wasn't coming. She rushed home and held Bryan....letting the tears flow as she clung to her only link to Nick she had now...wondering where in the world he was and if he was all right.