- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Well it's been a while...nearly a year since I worked on this story last. I hope some of you have held out for an update. I'm trying. Just been working on other things. Hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think!
Nick walked into the kitchen and made sure Amanda wasn't home before pulling out his phone to call Donnie and find out when he was free. He'd been trying to get a hold of him but Donnie was busy, and Nick was frustrated.

“Hey, what are you doing?”

The phone fell to the floor with a loud clatter as AJ came around the corner, laughing at Nick's expression.

“Shit, AJ. You scared the crap out of me.”

“What are you up to?”

Nick put the phone back into his pocket, walking to the refrigerator as if he hadn't been doing anything.

“Nothing,”

“You're full of shit, Nick. I've known you long enough to know when you're lying.”

Nick bent down to get something from the refrigerator, and his phone dropped out of his pocket just as a text appeared on the screen. Before he could grab it, AJ snatched it.

“AJ, give it back!!!” Nick said, dropping the can of soda he was holding. It popped open and sprayed, but Nick ignored it because he was desperately trying to grab for his cell phone.

“Who's Savannah, and why is she coming by tomorrow?” AJ asked, holding the phone out of Nick's reach.

“First of all, give me that. Secondly, Savannah is a singer I am mentoring. Howie set it up. Third…give me my phone.” Nick demanded, grabbing again. AJ let him have it and Nick went to work cleaning up the spill.

“Does your wife know about this Savannah chick?” AJ asked. He knew Nick wouldn't cheat but knew how Amanda was as well. She was already suspicious and this didn't help any. Nick had the tendency of making bad decisions and he just didn't want to see his friend screw up this marriage after working so hard to get here.

Nick sighed and got another soda from the bottom drawer, closing the refrigerator with his foot once he was done cleaning. The floor would be sticky, but he'd get it later.

“Why are you making it out like I'm cheating or something? After everything I went through to be with Amanda, do you think I'd be that stupid? Come on. Savannah is just someone I'm mentoring. Like how JC mentored me. That's it.” he said, making a face.

“Oh, I trust you. I just don't trust this girl. You should tell Amanda, because you know how she is. She'll see this strange chick at your studio and think y'all are fucking or something.” AJ said, looking around to make sure Aaron and the swear jar weren't around. Nick laughed at him and set the can down.

“I was gonna invite her for dinner so she can meet the family anyway.. I just wanted to show her the recording studio tomorrow and see where she wants to go with her music career. That's what JC did for me. Howie set this whole thing up, I think he knows what he's doing.”

Then why did it seem like AJ might be onto something? He didn't have interest in Savannah, but was she interested in him? He'd have to find out. They hadn't really gotten to talking outside of the meeting with Howie.

All Nick could think about through dinner that night was how relieved that it wasn't Donnie Wahlberg texting him about the birthday party.


The next morning, Amanda was getting ready to go to the club and Nick was making Aaron's lunch for school.

“I'll see you later?” she asked, knowing he'd be by for band rehearsal later.

AJ stood in the doorway, listening as he drank his coffee. He and Nick exchanged looks.

“Sure, baby…”

Nick kissed her on the cheek and she picked up her purse, heading out the door to the car. AJ coughed, motioning for Nick to go after her but he didn't.

“You didn't tell her, you idiot!!!”

“Fuck. I forgot! Oh, fuck. Aaron! Come on…” Nick hissed as his brother came into the room with the swear jar, shaking it. He silently cursed again, knowing Aaron had heard him swear.

“Pay up…” he said, smiling.

“Aw come on!”

Aaron shook the jar in reply, it had quite a bit of money in it.

“Might I remind you, this was your idea?” AJ chuckled. Nick looked sourly at the lunchbox he had just finished with and handed it to his brother, they too headed to the garage so Nick could bring his brother to school.




Later that afternoon, Nick was helping Lisa put the babies down for a nap when the doorbell rang.

“Want me to get it?” Lisa offered. Nick was holding Bryan, who was being fussy.

“No, I can get it…why don't you take Mr. Cranky Butt here? He's giving me a hard time. I will get the door.”

Nick knew it was Savannah, who'd come over to see the studio before Nick went to rehearsals for the day. He was really happy that AJ was not home because he didn't need any more comments like this morning.

“Hi, Savannah. I am glad you found the house all right. I know you came last time with Howie but you found it on your own.” he said with a smile. She smiled back and batted her eyelashes at him.

“No problem at all. I have a good memory.”

Nick made his way to the back of the property, where his personal recording studio was. He felt bad having her there without Amanda knowing…especially since Amanda herself had never been inside. He wondered then why he'd never invited her to come into the studio and that it would make a great date night.

“Nick, are you okay?”

Nick snapped out of his thoughts to find his hand on the doorknob and himself just standing there looking dazed.

“Sorry, I was just thinking about something…”

“You sound stressed. Are you sure this is a good time for you?” Savannah asked, following him inside. She watched carefully as Nick closed the door and coughed. He was flustered, which was exactly what she intended to happen.

“No, no. Everything is fine. I promise. So do you wanna tell me a bit about your music?”

Savannah smiled…it was all going according to plan.