- Text Size +
Amanda went into the house after the argument with Nick feeling disappointed. She wasn’t really angry with him but she knew Savannah was up to no good and was after more than a singing career from Nick mentoring her. She knew that Nick saw good in people and tended to be very naive when it came to people he didn’t know well.

“Back so soon?” Lisa asked from the couch in the living room. She’d been watching the kids while Nick and Amanda had their date.

“Unfortunately.” Amanda said wearily, sitting down next to her and sighing.

“What happened? You look upset.”

“I just don’t know what to do about this situation with that singerhe’s mentoring. I don’t want to deal with this nonsense and he just doesn’t see it the way I do. You met this girl, didn’t you, Lisa?” Amanda asked. Lisa thought about Savannah and what the girls on the forum were discussing. The situation did look bad, but everyone who knew Nick knew that nothing was going on. Savannah wanted to make it look like it was.

“Amanda, AJ and I warned Nick before dinner about this but he didn’t know what to do either. He’s very torn up right now and I know he hasn’t been trying to upset you or anything. Maybe you should listen to him and be patient.” Lisa said.

Amanda sat there as Lisa told her about the fans talking, showed her the photos and explained that Nick meant to tell her but didn’t want to upset her right before her birthday. She felt bad for giving him a hard time when it was obvious that it was not his fault. Amanda waited up that night for Nick to come to bed, but he never came back in from the studio and she knew he was outside punishing himself.

“He still hasn’t come inside?” AJ asked when Amanda came down to the kitchen and poured herself a glass of milk.

“The light is on on his studio, I checked. So either he’s working or he doesn’t want to be bothered. I feel terrible for yelling at him, Jay...but I was so angry. I guess that I got a little jealous…”

“You? Amanda Carter...Jealous? I never thought I’d see that.” AJ chuckled.

“Shut it, AJ. You know what I mean. I saw Savannah and I felt sick to my stomach. She’s gorgeous.”

“You’re hotter than she is.”

Amanda smiled at AJ, remembering how he’d tried to date her but she never saw anything other than a friend in him. He just wasn’t her type but she was glad he’d started dating the drummer in Nick’s band, Skye. They were very happy and Nick kept saying how they’d be the next pair in the neighborhood to be married.

“I’m going to tell Skye.”

AJ pretended to look offended.

They were both interrupted by the door opening and a tired looking Nick walking into the kitchen, his eyes falling on Amanda as he hung his head and looked at the floor.

“Nick, wait…” she said, catching him at the bottom of the stairwell that led to their bedroom.

“Look, if you’re going to yell at me again, can it wait until tomorrow?” Nick asked softly.

“I’m not going to yell at you.” Amanda whispered with a small smile.

Nick looked thoroughly confused. He made a face and turned his head sideways like their dog Michelle often did when she didn’t understand not to dig in the garbage or not to chew on Nick’s shoes. Amanda almost laughed because it looked so funny.

“What are you going to-“ Nick started, but his mouth was interrupted by his wife’s. He was sincerely surprised after their argument outside.

“I’m sorry that I got so angry.” Amanda apologized after she’d led Nick upstairs to their bedroom. They lay next to one another, cuddling and talking about everything, and Amanda realized she was being stupid. She had no right to suspect anything but she was angry at Savannah for attempting to kiss Nick in the recording studio when he was telling her he wasn’t interested.

“Baby, I understand. I mean….I didn’t really warn you about the mentoring so it’s partially my own fault. I had no idea she was going to come onto me. Howie set the whole thing up.” Nick said. They kissed and she nuzzled into his neck, allowing his chin to rest on her head. He smiled, taking in her scent. He loved just laying there and talking with her, for him that was even better than sex. Having that companionship was the best part of their marriage. As they lay there, Nick knew that he’d have to get Howie involved if this mess was going to ever go away, because he didnt want things to escalate. Savannah was already constantly texting him and asking when they’d work together. Asking what he was doing. Calling him and getting mad when he wouldn’t answer. She was acting like a stalker.

He knew what he had to do.




A couple of days later, Nick arranged a meeting at the office with Howie and Savannah, telling her it was to discuss the songs they’d been working on together. Nick didnt telll her that he was cutting her loose. Before she arrived, Nick got there early to talk things over with Howie. His manager was disappointed but understood when Nick showed him all the messages and explained what Savannah had been doing to try to wreck his marriage.

“I’m so sorry, Nick. I had no idea any of this was happening. You should have said something sooner. This is very serious. She came onto you at your recording studio and she could have twisted that to make it sound like something happened. In this day and age you cannot risk being accused of anything.”

“Well, not only that but she doesn’t seem to understand the word no.” Nick laughed as yet another message came over his phone from Savannah. The whole situation was stressing him out and he couldn’t wait to be done with it and block her number. Savannah walked into the room not much later, wearing an outfit that Nick was sure she wore in an effort to make him attracted to her.

“Savannah, we called this meeting because there’s some concerns about you and Nick.” Howie started. Savannah was trying to catch Nick’s eye during the whole conversation and he avoided her. He could feel himself becoming more and more anxious during the whole discussion and by the time he was addressed his hands were drenched in sweat.

“So what are you trying to say?” Savannah asked suddenly.

“Look, I cant work with you any more. I brought your stuff but I really cannot work with you because I feel that you’re not really taking our partnership professionally. The way you talked to me last week...Savannah...it made me so uncomfortable and I do not want to continue working with you. I’m sorry.”

Nick felt the heat from her eyes as she glared at him from across the table.

“So that’s it then?”

“I’m afraid so, yes.” Nick said softly.

“Nick is a married man, Savannah. Surely you understand that your behavior has been inappropriate.” Howie offered. This didn't really make Savannah any less angry.

“You are really making a huge mistake, Carter.” Savannah said, her voice cold. Nick had never seen her act like this before. It was like someone had flipped a switch.

After the meeting, Nick and Savannah were in the elevator going down to the parking garage. The air was tense and Nick was silent the whole time.

“I really like you, Nick. It’s a shame that you had to end things like this because I am so much better for you than Amanda and I wish you’d see that.”

“I don’t like you that way,” Nick said. He wished the elevator would hurry.

Savannah moved in front of him and he couldn’t really get away, the elevator seemed so much smaller than it was.

“I can change your mind…” she whispered into his ear. Just as she was about to kiss him, the elevator opened and Nick bolted to his car, locking himself inside. He sped off as fast as he could go under the speed limit. A text came across his phone from Savannah but he didn’t open it, just saw it in the preview on his lock screen.

See you soon...