- Text Size +

Minneapolis

 

It was Kate and Julie's annual vacation together. Kate flew out to Omaha this time.
Julie had found two NKOTBSB concerts to attend that were within reasonable driving distance from her house.

The plan was simple. Drive to Minneapolis, go to the concert, follow the bus (in case they stopped for waffles), get a hotel in Kansas City, sleep, attend the other concert, sleep some more and then go back to Julie's house. But as they drove to Minneapolis fate stepped in. Donnie Wahlberg and Jordan Knight twittered that they were throwing an after party. Julie quickly called to get tickets. Unfortunately the VIP to DDUB's party was sold out and Jordan's VIP tickets were twice as much. So they settled for general admission and hoped to get to see the guys anyway.

As they drove into Minneapolis they had a little trouble finding the venue. Traffic was backed up due to the baseball game making it hard to tell where they needed to go. They finally found parking and walked 3 blocks to the Target Center. Julie had butterflies already. Kate found this amusing since it was her first concert but Julie had been to several.

The girls had stopped on the way into town to change into dresses for the concert. Kate was wearing a black dress that had a deep cut sweetheart neckline with an A line skirt and black heels. Julie wore her vintage 1952 striped gray dress with a wide red belt and pearls. Unfortunately Julie had badly sprained her ankle just 2 nights before the concert so she was stuck in an ace bandage and flip flops.

Once they made it into the arena they quickly found their 6th row seats. The opening act had already begun. Matthew Morrison was amazing! They enjoyed his original music as well as the cover songs he performed. It wasn't until the light show started that Kate really got excited. Her heart began to race as she realized that these guys who seemed so surreal were really there, not 20 feet from where she stood.

She saw them in a whole new light. Here were 9 talented guys singing their hearts out for the fans that have come to adore them. As she watched the show, she began to notice a few things about the guys that you wouldn't pick up on by just seeing pictures of them. She realized just how sexy Nick was and that Brian is a total goof ball. She also understood Julie's crush on Joe all these years. There is just something about that voice and his baby blues that makes a girl melt. But what they both couldn't take their eyes off was Donnie and his ripped abs.

On stage, with the many lights shining and rotating, the guys kept their eyes moving, not often landing in one spot. But while singing "I Want It That Way" the lights landed just right on the face of a woman, singing along with the song. AJ couldn't take his eyes of her. She wasn't a great beauty; most wouldn't notice her in a crowd. But there was something that drew him to her. As he headed to the backstage with his band mates, the New Kids went on. AJ turned to the closest band mate and told him what he had seen. Nick was curious as to what girl could possibly get noticed in a crowd of 20,000. AJ explained where she was sitting so Nick could see for himself.

When they joined the New Kids on the stage for a song Nick moved quickly, almost missing a step in his hurry to get to the front. He looked to stage right, trying to find the girl AJ had described. But his eyes only briefly glanced at her. The lights shifted again, revealing the woman standing next to her, she was dress in a low cut black dress but it was the look on her face that captivated him, not lust but admiration. As he danced he tried to locate her every time he was close.

AJ tried to keep his eyes on the other girl, hoping to make eye contact. He noticed, with great sadness, that her eyes constantly seemed to be on Donnie. As the guys were lifted in the air on the stage platforms for their final song, Nick had a perfect view of the crowd below. As they reached the highest point, his eyes locked with the woman in black, for a brief moment. But to his great dismay, her friend pulled her attention away. Before he could make eye contact again, the show was over and all Nick could think was, "I will never see her again."

When the concert ended the girls decided to go back to the car before heading to Epic for the after party. Julie needed some more Advil and they wanted to freshen up their make-up. They took their time walking to the club. And after a few misdirection’s, they finally stood outside the doors for the will call tickets. They worked their way up to Johnny, Donnie's promoter. Julie asked if there was any chance Donnie had any more VIP tickets available. Johnny said no, but explained that Jordan still had VIP tickets left but there were an extra $125 each. Blushing, they explained to him they didn't have the money. Johnny turned to the girl beside him.

"They get black." She took two black wristbands and attached them to the Julie and Kate's wrists. They thanked the girl and headed in. The girls walked slowly into the club hoping to find a place for Julie to sit. The music was blaring and Howie and Nick were DJing. The girls slowly walked around, taking in the scene. The lights flashed as they moved around, spotlights hitting people's faces, illuminating the joy and excitement in the room.

A pair of steel gray eyes looked up from their task to become locked on something on the dance floor. He couldn't believe it, she was here, illuminated by the dance floor lights. He watched her move, the satin of her of her dress shimmering in the light. His eyes stayed on her roamed the club looking for a seat.

The club had two levels. The main floor had the DJ booth on the back wall and a bar on each side wall. Towards the front of the club, were a set of stairs. Half way up, the stairs split in two and went to the left or right. The girls decided to head up and took the stairs to the left. The area with seats was roped off. They showed the security their wristbands, hoping they would be allowed in. The security man just nodded so the girls quickly they moved into the crowd. Julie's foot was causing her pain, she was so glad to find somewhere to sit. A couch was up against the far wall and only two girls sat there. She promptly sat down; a sigh of relief escaped her lips. Kate went to the bar to try and get Julie a cup of ice so she could try and ice it a bit.

As Kate stood there waiting patiently for her turn to be helped, a tall man moved to stand beside her. The bartender quickly finished with the woman he had been helping and promptly acknowledged the man. Etiquette had always been important to Kate and although she didn't want to be rude, Julie was waiting and she had been standing there longer.

"Excuse me, but I do believe I am next," she said to the bartender, not even looking towards the man beside her. The bartender turned to look at the man as if to ask for his approval. A sultry voice responded.

"Of course. Ladies first."

When Kate asked for a cup of ice, the bartender started to protest, so Kate explained about Julie's injured foot. She also ordered two shots of something called Pineapple Whip and two bottles of water. As the bartender moved to get Kate's order ready, she finally turned to the man standing beside her, intending on apologizing to him.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be so rude." Her breath caught in her throat as she gazed into Nick's gray eyes. He smiled

"It’s cool."

The bartender returned with Kate's drinks. She turned to pay for them but Nick signaled the bartender to put the drinks on his tab.

"Oh you don't have to do that." Kate protested.

"It's my pleasure." He turned to the bartender. "Can I get a Corona?"

Kate tucked the bottled water into her purse but was struggling to grab the shots and the cup of ice, Nick grabbed his beer and the cup of ice.

"So, where to?" he asked.

"Oh, um," Kate was caught off guard. "We are just over there." She pointed, with the shot in her hand, to Julie, who was sitting in the center a couch, no one near her. As Nick walked with Kate towards Julie, Howie who was still spinning tunes, called out to Nick to get his ass back to the DJ booth. He handed the ice to Julie and leaned over to whisper in Kate's ear.

"You gonna be here a while?" Kate couldn't breathe with the feel of his breath on her ear. She nodded. He smiled and headed back to the DJ booth. Kate looked down at Julie.

"OMG!" Julie exclaimed. She pulled Kate down to her level.

"What'd he say?"

"He asked if I was going to be here awhile." They both squealed.

After icing Julie's foot for a while they decided to do a little exploring. They walked around upstairs to figure out what the roped off sections of the bar were. Julie pointed out to Kate that they were the only ones with black wristbands. They figured these were the general admission bracelets but after inquiring of the bouncers they learned that black wrist bands were for Jordan's exclusive VIP party. They were ecstatic and decided to go check it out.
Julie's bandage was coming loose so she needed to rewrap it. She borrowed the corner of a full couch while Kate went to get another drink from the bar. She unwrapped it and was re rolling the bandage when she heard a masculine voice above her.

“Oh, no! What happened?"

She looked up to see Jordan standing in front of her. He knelt next to her as she explained how she had sprained her ankle. Kate was just returning with their drinks when she saw him. She set the drinks on the ground and pulled her camera out before Jordan could finish. She was able to get a picture of Jordan wrapping Julie's ankle back up. He stood up, his 5’11” frame towering over Kate. His gaze locked on Kate's hazel eyes.

"Hi." He said seductively. Kate couldn’t help it, her cheeks filled with the heat of a blush. Jordan offered his hand. She took it, thinking he wanted to shake it. She was surprised when he pulled it to his lips, placing a soft kiss on the back of her hand. He looked back up into her eyes.

"I'm Jordan."

"Hi I'm Kate."

"What a beautiful name."

Before Jordan could interact with her any further, Donnie called out his name from the DJ booth. Jordan walked over to look over the rail. Donnie looked up from the equipment to see Jordan peering down.

"Man, stop macking on all the pretty ladies and get down here." Donnie hollered at him. Jordan laughed and turned back to Kate and Julie.

"If you'll excuse me ladies, it seems I'm being paged.” The girls just smiled as he headed back through the secure door to head downstairs.

Since there was no room on the couch for Kate, they looked for another table. They found a recently deserted table on the balcony overlooking the stage. The down side was it was two steps down from where they had been. Julie had to hold on to the railing to get down. The table was high, with three bar stools. Julie quickly sat in the chair on the right and adjusted her foot up on the chair in the middle, leaving the seat facing the stage, for Kate. Kate looked over the balcony at her great view. Nick was singing “Burning Up”, from his new album. It is a fast dance song with a rap in it. DDub rapped with Nick pumping up the energy in the crowd. As they finished Nick's gaze swept around the upper level, as is looking for something. He smiled when he made eye contact with Kate.

Jordan and Donnie were up next singing “Stingy”. Then it was Howie's turn. He sang his new single, “100". Kate felt a tap on her left shoulder. She looked left but no one was there she looked to her right to see Nick standing between her and Julie his hands resting on the back of the chair between them, where Julie’s foot rested, a shitty grin on his face.

"Hey, I came to steal you for a dance." He said to Kate. She looked at Julie. Her dearest friend nodded, encouraging her to go dance. She stepped off the high stool to follow him to the dance floor. He took her hand and led her to the same secure door Jordan had gone through earlier. There was an elevator on the other side of the door.

Julie smiled as she watched her best friend walking away. She decided now would be a good time to ice her foot again. She unrolled most of the bandage, leaving just enough fabric to cover the bare skin. She propped her foot up, twisting her body, to be able to hold the cup of ice to the worst part, the outside of her ankle, where it had turned eight shades of ugly.

"That doesn't look comfortable." AJ says commenting on her awkward position, as he walked past, obviously on his way to the bar in the VIP area.

"It's not." Julie replies, looking up from her cup of ice. "But it's better than nothing." She realized who was standing there. She tried to keep from blushing, tugging at her skirt, trying to cover the red petticoat that was peeking out.

"So, what'd you do to it?" He asked, seeing her surprise at his appearance.

"I sprained it."

"You sure it's just a sprain? It looks pretty bad." She took a deep breath. His speaking voice, like his singing, went right through her. It was just deep enough to be called masculine. It reverberated through her body.

"Yeah the doctor originally thought it was broken in four places but the x rays didn't show any fractures." She looked back down at her cup, which was getting crushed as she tried to mold it to the shape of her foot.

"Well, that's good at least. Let me see if there's something I can do to make you a little more comfortable," he said before he walked over to the bar. He returned a moment later with a bag of ice in one hand, and a soda in the other. He took the cup of ice from her and gently placed the bag of ice on her foot, arranging it so it covered the top and side of her foot, where he could see the swelling through the fabric. He then sat in Kate's chair.

“You don’t mind if I sit with you for a while, do you?” he asked.

“I would be most grateful. My best friend just took off to dance with a guy, so I am sitting alone.” Julie explained.
AJ scoffed, “Why would she leave you, since you are obviously injured?”

Julie laughed. He was being her knight in shining armor.

“I told her to go. I don’t want to be the party pooper tonight. At least one of us should get to dance,” she teased, looking back at her foot.

Meanwhile, as the elevator doors closed to take them down, Nick turned to Kate. Her heart was pounding.

"I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage,” he said to her. “You know my name, but I don't know yours."

"At least you assume I know your name." Kate teased, knowing full well who he was. This caught Nick off guard and he didn't have time to respond because the elevator doors opened. The music for Jordan's "Let's go Higher" started playing as Nick lead Kate to the back of the dance floor, where the crowd was thin. As Jordan started to sing Nick turned and pulled Kate to him. He sang along with Jordan as he dirty danced with Kate. She was totally uninhibited thanks to the drinks she had had.

At the beginning of the 2nd verse, people had started to realize Nick was on dance floor with them. He was standing behind Kate his hands on her waist pulling her close when he asked, "Can you swing?" She got a devilish grin, indicating her answer was yes. He began to swing her around, causing a circle to open up around them. Kate laughed as they danced. Nick was amazing. She couldn't believe that she was really here dancing with him. Jordan watched Kate. The joy on her face was so apparent. Why couldn't it be him she was dancing with?

As the song ended, Nick pulled Kate into a hug. They were both panting and laughed as people applauded. He took her hand intending on returning her to her table but girls started pushing their way in to get to Nick and Kate kept getting pushed further and further away. When it was obvious she couldn't get back to him, she gave up and returned to her table with Julie. It took him some time, but Nick finally escaped to the stage with the DJ booth to sing some more. He looked around for Kate and saw her heading back upstairs. He sighed in relief that she wasn't leaving.

Back at the table, Kate was surprised to find her seat occupied.

"So, Julie. Who do we have here?" Kate teased, knowing full well who A. J. McLean was. He
looked at Kate and quickly vacated the seat, gesturing for Kat to sit.

"Kate, this is A. J." Julie said remembering her manners. A. J. offered his hand to her. Kate reluctantly stuck out her own and was surprised when her knuckles were kissed for the second time in one night.

"It is so nice to meet you, Kate." Just then, there was a chuckle behind them.

"Dude! I didn't know you were here. I thought it was just Howie and Nick." Donnie said walking up to the table. “I was on my way to get something to drink, when I saw your hat. What’s up?” They grip hands and bump shoulders.

"Well, I couldn't leave you with all these beautiful women." AJ replies. Donnie just nodded before he replied.

"You certainly have found yourself two right here. Maybe I should just stay here all night." Julie's heart fluttered. Could she be so lucky? Her ice pack stared to shift and she reached over to fix it. Her movements brought Donnie's attention to her.

"So what do we have here?" he asked, pointing to her foot on the seat.

"I jacked up my ankle Wednesday night when we went out for my birthday." Donnie laughed again.

"Did June Cleaver trip on her apron strings while baking cookies?" he teased, making reference to her 50’s style dress and pearls.

"No. I slipped on a spilled drink and hit the concrete floor rather hard. I wasn’t even wearing heels at the time. I hurt like a bitch, but I was not going to miss this party, no matter what."
Donnie looked over at A. J. and smiled. "So, are you gonna ask Betty Crocker to dance or can I?"

Julie got a look of confusion on her face. She tapped Donnie on the arm to get his attention.

"Did you forget something? My ankle is messed up. No dancing for me." Donnie smiled a wicked grin and replied, "Where there is a will, there is a way." He extended his hand to her. She shifted in her seat to be able to fully face him. “Trust me," he said. She gave him a doubtful look but stood up to follow him. She hobbled up the steps holding onto Donnie for balance. He only moved a few feet from the steps before he turned and started to move.

Nick was downstairs singing “Just One Kiss”. As Donnie moved in closer to Julie she could feel her body temperature rising. He slid his hands around her waist. She lifted her foot worried he would bump it. DDUB took the hint and stepped into her wrapping a hand under her knee and hitched her knee up over his hip. Julie quickly got into the rhythm of the dance. True to his word Donnie protected her foot. Their bump and grinding was very sexual, yet innocent. Julie felt like he was holding back. Had her foot not been injured, their dancing would have been so hot. He held her in a way that gave his body full access to hers, but he didn’t take advantage of the situation. Julie wished he would.

AJ continued to sit next to Kate, watching Julie. Kate sighed when she saw the look of envy on AJ's face. She didn’t understand why he looked like that. Sure Donnie was dancing with Julie, but he wasn’t working it like she knew he could. It made her wonder why he had even asked her to dance. Kate leaned close to AJ to speak in his ear.
"You know that could be you,” she said to him, giving him encouragement. He looked a Kate.
"No. If she'd rather be with him..." He trails off. Kate had an idea, it would benefit her as well, and that was always a bonus.
"Do you have Nick's cell number?" He looks at Kate in shock, absolutely surprised that she would have the guts to ask him for Nick’s number while he sat there watching her friend dance with Donnie. She rolls her eyes at him when she saw the look on his face.
"I don't want it. Well, that's not true but... I mean, I'm not asking for you to give it to me. I was thinking you could text him down in the DJ booth and have him play If You Want It To Be Good. Julie likes that song and I'm sure she'd love for you to dance with her."
He shrugged, "She seems happy."

Kate dropped the subject when she heard Nick downstairs. His song had finished and he was talking to the fans. She looked over the rail to watch him. AJ turned to see why she went quiet. He watched her watching Nick. He smiled to himself. This was the kind of girl Nick needed. The way she looked at him proved she wasn't a typical fan. She didn't seem to know all the words to his songs, she blushed every time he looked up at her, and she just seemed relaxed and natural.
It had been a while since Nick had been interested in anyone. AJ could understand, dating a fan never worked out. Most girls got caught up in the fame of dating a Backstreet Boy or they were just after their money. No, Kate didn't seem like either of those. He'd have to make sure he introduced them.

When the song ended, Donnie helped Julie back into her chair. He leaned in to whisper to her.
"I need to go sing, June Bug. But I'll be back for you." A chill ran down Julie's spine as Donnie's breath tickled her ear.
"Hey, AJ? Are you coming down to hang with us?" Donnie asked. AJ looked longingly at Julie. He did want to talk to her, but he had seen the joy in her eyes when she danced with Donnie and he didn't want to take that from Donnie. He took a big swig from his soda, giving him time to think before he answered.
"Screw it!" AJ thought, "We'll probably never see these girls again and I just want to talk to her."
Out loud he said, "Na. I just came to chill tonight. I'll just hang with these lovely ladies for a while.” As Donnie walked away, AJ pulled out his phone and sent a text to Nick. He watched over the railing as Nick took his phone from his pocket.
"We have a request for our bad boy song."
"Dude where are you? Didn't know you were coming?" Nick texted back.
"Upstairs with two beautiful women, look up. Stage left." Nick looked around the balcony, spotting AJ, and the girls he was sitting with.
"Hands off man! That one's mine." Nick jokes in his next text.
AJ was surprised. Which girl was Nick talking about? Please don't let it be Julie. He pointed to Julie. Nick shook his head. AJ pointed to Kate. Nick nodded.
"If you want her come and claim her." AJ text back, happy that Nick had chosen Kate on his own.
"On my way. “Nick texts back. AJ laughs out loud, both girls look at him, a little confused.
"Have Howie spin that tune." He quickly texts back, hoping Nick got the text before heading upstairs.
The girls were still looking at AJ when he finally looks back up from his phone. He smiles devilishly as he puts in back in his pocket.
"What?" He asked, trying to sound innocent.
"I think he's up to something." Kate said to Julie.
"Oh, no doubt about it." Julie agreed.
"Me?" AJ says feinting innocence. The girls both laugh.
"So, I have to ask," Julie starts, "What's the deal with the finger nail polish?" AJ laughs rubbing his hands together.
"It’s a long story." Julie looked at him to let him know he's not getting out of it that easily.
Nick walked up to the table, standing just behind Kate. He wrapped his hands around her arms leaning to whisper to her.
"Now do I get to know your name?"
Goosebumps appeared on Kate's arms despite the heat in the club. When she turned to look at him, their lips almost met. Kate blushed, and then looked down.
"Kate." she said quietly. A wide grin spreads on Nick's face. Julie interrupts as “If You Want It To Be Good” starts playing.
"Oh I love this song!" AJ jumped out of his seat and asked Julie to dance. Fortunately only Nick noticed his eagerness. She took his hand as he helped her to her feet. Taking Donnie’s lead, they head to the same spot where Donnie had danced with her. Nick took Kate's hand and followed Julie and AJ.
Nick and AJ showed Kate and Julie just how good bad boys could be. AJ didn’t want to copy Donnie, he wanted Julie to remember him when the night was over, but Donnie had the right idea of hitching her leg over the hip. But AJ wasn’t afraid to take full advantage. Leaning down just a little, AJ slid his hand up from her calf, along the outside, until her reached the knee. He lifted her leg, resting it on the curve of his lower back. Her red petticoat was trying to peek out. For some reason, the sight of the red underneath was turning him on. As he slowly started to grind with her, he pushed the hem of her dress up higher on her hip, so that more of the red showed through.
AJ could picture them both naked, making love to the rhythm of the music. Her body fit perfectly up against his, the fact that they were the same height only helped in this.
Nick glanced over at his friend. He felt himself blush, which rarely happened. AJ had a lot more balls at the moment than he did. As much as he wanted to dance like that with Kate, it didn’t feel like the right time to be so bold. He gave kudos to his friend. As the ended, both girls were hot and bothered, wishing they could keep going.

"I think it’s time to slow this down a little." Donnie said downstairs, unaware of what was happing on the floor above him. Jordan began singing” Didn't I Blow Your Mind”. Neither Nick nor AJ seemed to want to stop dancing and were glad to have a change to get closer, in a more romantic sort of way.
Kate reached up, crossing her wrists behind Nick's neck. Nick pulled her close gazing down into her eyes.
"Hmm." Nick said, confusion in his eyes
"What?" Kate asked, starting to pull away. He pulled her back close.
"I could have sworn your eyes were brown earlier, but they're green."
Julie, who was slow dancing with AJ close by, overheard Nick's comment, started laughing. AJ looks confused. Julie turned to look at Kate, knowing why her eyes were green. Kate looked Julie in the eyes, guilt all across her face. She couldn’t help but to blush and look at the floor.
"What?" Nick asked suspiciously.
"Nothing." Kate replied, not wanting him to know what it meant.
AJ caught what was going on and chuckled. He pulled Julie a little closer and whispered in her ear.
"I think your friend is a little horny." He stated. Julie blushed this time. Was he as perceptive about her and the fact that her eyes changed as well? Julie quickly found out he did.
"I noticed your eyes changed from green to a blue color, as we danced. I hope that means you’re feeling what I felt."
Julie looked down at her feet, blushing profusely. Yeah. She felt it. He could have taken her right there, and she wouldn’t have minded. AJ reached across to tap Nick on the shoulder. Before Julie realized what he was doing, AJ said to Nick, "Her eyes are green because she is horny. Time to take action." Neither girl could hear them but both their hearts fluttered with anticipation brought on by the look on both guys faces.
Nick looked down at Kate his eyes smoldering. He brought his lips so close to her ear. "So I did blow your mind this time, didn't I?" He asked, the heat of his breath sending shivers up into her hairline. He dared much, as he brought his soft lips to the bare skin of her neck. It caught Kate off guard. She turned her head swiftly, causing their lips to meet. He misunderstood her movement, thinking she was instigating more, and pulled her in tighter. His kiss was full of fire, the heat filled them both. Their lips parted as they both drew in deep breaths, but before they could connect again, Kate was being pulled backwards. A BSB fan had grabbed the back of Kate's dress and pulled her so hard she fell on the floor, landing on her backside. Nick was instantly surrounded by girls, Kate left on the floor, stunned. Somehow AJ had gone unseen by the fans. He excused himself from Julie and quickly went to help Kate up. He then flagged a bouncer to have the girl who assaulted Kate removed from the club.
AJ escorted the girls thru Jordan's private party, past the secure door, and into a small room. There were a couple of couches and the girls went to sit on one. AJ looked at Kate.
"You ok?" He asked.
"Yeah, just embarrassed." Kate replied.
"You have nothing to be embarrassed about. You didn’t start it." AJ said. Kate slowly shook her head looking down at her hands. That wasn’t why she was blushing. She was all about etiquette and she had just been making out with Nick in public. This was just not like her.
AJ went over and sat between the girls, putting an arm around each of them.
Nick walked into the room, seeing AJ on the couch. He walked over to Kate and knelt in front of her. AJ removed his one arm from Kate’s shoulder as Nick ran a hand across her cheek.
"I am so sorry about that. Are you alright?” Nick's voice was full of concern. It warmed her heart. Kate nodded, not able to make eye contact. Nick stood up, pulling Kate up into his arms. She finally looked up into his slate blue eyes.
"Damn!" he said, apparently upset. Kate looked confused. What had she done to make him upset.
"Your eyes are brown again." he whispered, more to himself than to her. Kate burst out laughing.
"Ah there's the smile I love." He leaned down, kissing her softly. She melted at his touch. How could she be so attracted to someone she just met? She wondered to herself.

Back on the couch, AJ still had his arm around Julie. He was used to having the fans fawn over him, as all the guys were. But there was something about these two. Julie wasn't acting all crazy, like some of the others do. Was it because he wasn't Donnie?
“Damn it... I am AJ McLean. The bad boy of Backstreet Boys. Why isn’t she flirting with me?” he thought to himself.
"So... Is Donnie your favorite?" he asked, trying to determine where he stood.
"Excuse me?" Julie was confused. He had just spent the hour with her, a part of that in each other’s arms, and he was asking her about Donnie?
"It’s just that you kept looking at him all night, during the show, so I assumed he is your favorite." Julie tried hard not to laugh.
"I met him once, about two years ago, on my birthday. I just wanted to see if he remembered me. But when he saw me here tonight, and danced with me, he showed no sign of remembering." AJ smiled inside. So he still had hope.
“Wait… what do you mean you saw looking at him all night? You were watching me?”
AJ tried to quickly change the subject by getting it back on Donnie.
"Not to sound cocky or anything, but, is there a reason he would remember you? They do meet a lot of people, every day, and you did just say it was years ago."
Julie blushed when she remembered when they had met.
She had gone to the meet and greet in Chicago and wore a red shirt that said Face Time. When Donnie had walked into the room and saw her, he made sure to have her by his side for the photo. After the picture was taken, he turned to Julie, pulled her into his arms and kissed her like she had never been kissed before.
Her blush was visible to AJ. He pulled his arm away looking disappointed.
"So it was something that good." He stated.
Julie blushed deeper.
"No. It was just a kiss."
"But it must have been good for you to keep it on your mind."
Julie saw how disappointed AJ became. She had never been one to be accused of being shy and although she did hold a special place in heart for Donnie, there was no denying the attraction she had for AJ. She put her arms around his neck pulling him into a passionate kiss. AJ responded immediately pulling her legs over his to slide her into his lap.

Down in the DJ booth, Jordan was talking to the fans on the microphone, trying to introduce what he wanted to do next.
"How many of you wanted to hear “All In My Head” at the concert tonight?" The fans start screaming; indicating they all wished it had been a part of the already amazing show.
"Ok then let's see how many of us we can get down here to sing it for you. Howie? Where'd you go? Nick? Get your butt back here."
Donnie chimed in, "AJ, you too."
"AJ's here? Nice." Jordan commented. AJ reluctantly stood up taking Julie with him.
"Come on beautiful. I'm not letting you outta my sight." He led her to the elevator followed by Nick and Kate. The guys held their hands as they led them on stage.
The girls stood together on the side of the stage as the guys huddled up to decide who would sing the missing guys parts. As they started to sing the 5 of them stand in a line (Howie, Jordan, Donnie, Nick and AJ). The guys fed off each other picking up dance moves. As AJ began singing the chorus, he walked over to Julie, taking her hand and singing to her. He backed up slowly, pulling her out into the front of the stage. The other guys follow suit pulling a girl from the crowd to bring up on stage. Nick pulled Kate out of the corner. She blushed, biting her lip. His voice was so beautiful, her breath catching in her throat. The girls sang along on the chorus, blushing whenever Nick or AJ had a solo.

When the song ended, all the girls got hugs from the guys singing to them. Julie and Kate left the stage when the other girls did, moving into the crowd. They stayed as close to the stage as they could, to watch the show. BSB performed “Bye Bye Love”. When Jordan sang “One More Night”, he watched Kate on the dance floor, as she sang along. Jordan noticed that Nick was occupied at the DJ booth so he took full advantage. He crossed the stage to sing to Kate. Their eyes locked. He was singing to her, and only her. Their eye contact broke when screams started as the music for “Dirty Dancing” began. Nick, AJ and Howie fill in for the missing New Kids. Julie and Kate rocked out to one of their favorite songs.

As the night began to wind down, BSB sang the “Shape Of My Heart”, Kate's favorite BSB song. AJ jumped off the stage to pull Julie back up with him. With the help of Nick, who held out his hand to balance her, AJ placed his hands on her hips and lifted her up. She stood there, quiet embarrassed, as he sang. As the song ended he surprised her by pulling her in to him. Her hands landed on his chest as she tried to steady herself, trying to keep off her left foot. She could feel his heart pounding in his chest, her hands becoming hot from the warmth of his chest. Without warning he leaned ever so slightly down to kiss her deeply. Suddenly her foot didn't hurt anymore. But it did do the foot pop. Her injured foot went into the air behind her. Julie could hear the hoots and hollers, of both people happy for them and those that were jealous, but she didn't care. AJ was such a good kisser. His tongue probed gently into her mouth causing her body temperature to rise.

Donnie watched, jealously, as the woman who seems so familiar to him, was wrapped in the arms one of his best friends, their kiss so passionate, that he had to look away.

The guys thanked everyone for coming, taking time to sign some autographs as people left. Kate and Julie went back upstairs to get their purses that they had left at their table. Luckily, no one had bothered their things.

Nick looked around, not seeing Kate. His heart started to pound. He looked over at AJ, hoping Julie was still with him, but AJ stood alone. He smacked AJ to get his attention.

"Dude, where'd the girls go?" AJ looked around. The room was almost chaotic as people were being moved out the doors by the staff, but the girls in the club were still trying to move up to see the guys one last time.

“I don't know. You look around down here and I'll check upstairs," AJ said. As he headed upstairs, Howie noticed the distress of his fellow band mates. He turned to Nick, who was craning his neck in various ways trying to see where his girl had gone.

"What's up, Nick? Is everything alright?"

"The girls we were dancing with earlier, we brought them up on stage, well, we can't find them." Nick explained to Howie as he was continuing to scan the crowd.

"So?" Howie said, wanting more information, knowing where this was going.

"I... I want to say good night." Nick said, lamely.

"Oh, man! You're not falling for a fan are you?" Howie accused, teasing his friend.

"No!" Nick said, defensively, "She's just cool so I wanted to say good bye."

"Uh, huh. Sure you did."

"What are you talking about? You married the president of your fan club." Nick accused.

"Point taken. So what does she look like?" Howie asked.

"Did you see the girl in the 50's dress?" Nick asked, thinking that would be the easiest way to start.

"Yeah. I couldn't miss her. Who goes to an after party dressed as a 50’s house wife?" They both laughed.

"Well, she was with her. Kate was the one in the black dress."

"Oh, the cute Hispanic one?" Nick looked at Howie.

"She's not Hispanic."

"Trust me dude, us Latin lovers recognize our own."

"Whatever. Will you help me find her?" Just then Nick's phone buzzed in his pocket. He pulled it out. It was a text from AJ.

"Found them. Upstairs." Nick sighed in relief. He headed for the elevator. Howie followed right behind. AJ had found the girls back at their table. They had left their purses there. Nick strode up to Kate.

"What? You thought you could leave without saying goodbye?" he asked.

"No. I thought I'd better get my purse before they throw me out of here." Kate replied.

"Good. Because I didn't get your digits yet." He said, pulling his phone out of his pocket. Kate looked at him, a little confused.

"My what?" she asked.

"Your phone number."

"Wait... what? You want my number?"

"That is how people usually keep in contact." He smiled at her as he teased. Kate blushed. She was sure as soon as they walked out those front doors and headed to Julie's car, that would be the end. Even though the girls were headed to Kansas City, she didn't think it would matter. AJ pulled his phone out as well.

"You bet me to it. I was just about to do the same." He stepped closer to Julie to get her info without others hearing them. Kate took a deep breath. She couldn’t believe she was giving Nick her number. Howie just stood there watching as they all made the exchange. Nick happened to glance over and notice Howie standing just behind him. He hadn't realized Howie had followed him up the stairs. He turned to Howie so he introduced him to the girls.

"Sorry, Howie. This is Kate and Julie. Ladies, this is Howie." Kate shook hands with Howie.

"It's nice to meet you." She said.

"Likewise." Howie turned to Julie. "You must be Julie. So nice to meet you." Julie just nodded. He laughed as he took in her full outfit. "Okay, I have to ask, why would you wear a dress like this to an after party?" Julie laughed as she blushed.

"I just started a photography business doing WW2 style pin up photography. So I decided it would be fun to go to the concert as a pin up model. I was hoping it would get me noticed." She blushed again as Howie laughed.

"Well, it worked! No one can miss you. You look like June Cleaver from 'Leave it to Beaver.'"

"Donnie called me that earlier tonight."

Just then, Howie pulled his phone from his back pocket. He looked at the screen.

"Speaking of Donnie... He wants to know where we are. He said he needs us." Nick and AJ nodded at him before stepping up to their girls. Howie turned and waked away as AJ pulled Julie close, being mindful of her foot.

"Don't go too far. I need to talk to you before we leave." Julie felt her heart soar. Here she was, in AJ McLean's arms. How did her night end up like this? She had come to Minneapolis to see the New Kids. She had been a fan of the guys for more than half her life. The Backstreet Boys had been a band she only listened to once in a while. She knew very little about them, other than basic stuff, like their names. She had never fantasied about any of them. That seemed to make it all the more thrilling.

The security was very pushy about getting everyone out of the club. Julie limped extra to try and buy a little more time. She even stopped and pretended to fix her bandage.

Kate kept looking towards the stage for the guys, but they were nowhere to be found. When a tall, big security guy began pushing to get them out the door, they knew they had to leave. Kate glanced around one more time, looking for anyone that could tell Nick and AJ they were forced out, but she saw no one that would care.

As they stepped out into the hot sticky night, reality came back. They were back to being just like every other girl in the club. Just fans there to see the big stars.

They walked back to Julie's car, having to stop and ask a nice cop on a horse for directions. Once they were back, Julie sat down and sighed.

"It was fun while it lasted. Do you think they will see us at the show tomorrow?" Kate laughed.

"You mean later tonight?" It was well after 2 am.

"If we are lucky, we might even pass the buses." Julie pointed out. "I will drive far enough to get us outta town, if you don't mind taken over after that, so I can rest my foot."

"Not a problem."

Kate changes into jeans and a tank top for the long drive to Kansas City. They got situated in the car and pulled out of the parking complex. They got a little turned around while waiting for the GPS to calculate their location. Soon enough, they were the on the freeway.
They stopped at a gas station to fill up and switch drivers. They were already back on the road when Julie's text message went off.
"Is this Julie?"
"Yes." She responded, "Who's this?"
"AJ. Where'd you go?"
"We got kicked out."
"Are you still here?" He asked.
"No. I didn't see you so we headed out."
"That sucks. Is Kate with you?"
"Of course, why?"
"Nick wants to know."
Kate's heart started racing as Julie read the text message aloud.
Kate suggested to Julie that they not to tell the guys that they'll be at the next concert.
"Why?" Julie asks.
"I want to see if they'll remember us. Or if tonight was a fluke."
"Dude I'm texting with AJ! I have his private cell number! Of course they'll remember us."
Kate looks doubtful.
As Julie starts to text AJ, Kate gets upset.
"Don't tell him what I said!"
"I'm not, calm down, girl." Julie says soothingly. Julie pulls out her copy of Nick's Cd that she had bought at the concert and put in the CD player for Kate.
She finishes her text, reading it to Kate. "So where y'all headed to now?"
Kate calms down listening to Nick's soothing voice.
"Kansas City. We got a show tomorrow night at the sprint center." AJ replies.
"How long of a drive is that?"
"Not really sure. We just get on the bus and sleep and in the morning we're at the next place. So where are you headed?"
Julie had to think a minute before responding. She didn't want to betray Kate but she needed something to tell AJ.
"We have reservations at a Holiday Inn."
"What highway are you on?"
"I don't know. Why?" Julie asks.
"Well Nick and I are sharing a bus tonight and we thought if we were driving past your hotel we could stop and see you." Julie looked at Kate.
"They want to meet us."
Kate's eyes started to get moist, "Really?"
"Yeah really! Where should we stop?"
"I don't know where are they?
Julie texts AJ, "We're headed south on 35."
She turns back to Kate.
"I hope we're a little ahead of them. I could use some freshening up before I see him."
"Well start digging in the back everything is in the back seat." Kate replies.

"Looks like we are just getting out on I-35. Can we meet you?" AJ's text comes back.

"Yes. Where do you want to meet?"

"Is your hotel close to the highway?" He asks.
"I don't know for sure. What if we just stop and wait for you to catch up?"
"Sounds good. Someplace not too crowded. We might get recognized." He replies.
"How about me meet at a Rest Area?" Julie suggests.
"NO!" AJ replies. "I don't you girls alone at a rest stop. How about a truck stop? We could get something to eat."
"That sounds good. I know there is one in Owatonna. Will that work?"

"Yes. The bus driver says that we'll be there in about 45 minutes."
"Ok." Julie replies.
Kate drove to Owatonna while Julie dug their toiletries bag out of the back. As soon as the girls arrive they park and go into the truck atop to find a bathroom to freshen up.

Julie sent a text to AJ, "At the Pilot. Getting a table."

Julie asks the waitress for a corner booth. The girls waited for the guys to arrive. Kate was starting to get nervous.
"Do you think they'll really come?" She asked Julie.
"Of course. I still can't believe you didn't change back to your dress."
"It was all sweaty and smelly. Besides this is who I am. If he doesn't like the real me then it isn't meant to be."
Julie had to admit that Kate had a point. But would Nick like the tough cowgirl that Kate actually was? Julie started to wonder, it had taken Kate 2 years to get over her last boyfriend and although she didn't talk about it anymore Julie wondered if Kate was open to a new relationship.
Julie's phone buzzed again.
"Pulling in the parking lot now." AJ text.
Julie texted back, "Back corner booth to the right as you walk in."

A few minutes later the guys walked in, AJ playfully shoved Nick. Nick laughed as they walked over to the girls. As they slid into the booth, AJ put an arm around Julie, kissing her cheek.
"You were wrong you know." He said.
"I was wrong about what?" Julie asked, a little confused.
"You can't get rid of us that easily."
Julie gave him a mischievous grin. She leaned in to whisper in his ear. He turned his head toward her, blocking the view of her face from Nick and Kate.
"If I wanted to get rid of you, would I do this?" She whispered breathily. Just then, with a level of bravery she didn’t know she had, Julie ran her tongue up the outside of his earlobe.
"Ooo," he shivered. Julie could see the hairs on his neck stand on end. "Think I found myself a bad girl."
Nick looks up from his menu. He noticed the look on AJ’s face. He wasn’t sure what he missed, but he knew where it could go.
"Do guys need a few minutes alone?" He teased. "I can get you the bus keys?"
"Trust me it'd be more than an few minutes," AJ replied, looking Julie straight in the eyes. She had to break away. Julie knew they were joking but she didn't want to be another notch on his bedpost either. Kate saw the expression on Julie's face and decided it was time for a subject change.
"So, what are you having to eat, Jewels?" She asked picking up her menu. This did not successfully diverted the guys’ attention. Nick snickered.

“I think she is gonna have an AJ sandwich with a side of hot cakes.” Julie started laughing.

“Hot cakes? Only my grandma still calls pancakes, hot cakes.” That changed the subject. Nick went on to explain his grandmother said the same thing and it just stuck. As they were discussing pancakes, the waitress came and took their orders. The conversation finally turned mellower.
"So Julie," AJ asked, "You said you do pin up calendars?"
"Kind of. My friend and I are starting up a business to take the photographs. It's kinda like those places that do the old west photos but ours are WW2 pin ups." She explained.
"So are you a photographer?" Nick asks Julie.
"No, my friend Janice is. I do the costumes, hair and make-up."
Nick turns to Kate.
"How come you aren't a part of this business?"
"Because I don't live near Julie."
Nick looks confused, "You don't? Where do you live?"
"Washington."
"State or DC?"
"State."
Nick looks at AJ.
"Weren't we just there?" Nick asked him.
"Yeah, Seattle I think."
"Tacoma, actually." Kate adds.
"Were you at that show?" Nick asked.
"No, I wish. I had to work. Besides, I couldn't go without Julie." Kate says winking at Julie.
"Yeah. I had to pop her cherry." Julie commented.
"You what?" AJ was confused.
"Kate was a New Kids virgin. Tonight was her first concert."
"So you weren't even there to see us." Nick says with puppy dog eyes.
"Oh, poor baby." Kate says putting a hand to Nick's cheek, "I like the Backstreet Boys. In fact I tried to get tickets one time in the 90's but I could never get thru to Ticketmaster."
He smiled at her mischievously, "You know I think I might know someone who could get you tickets."
"Really?! Ooo, that'd be so cool. Could he like get tickets for me and my friend? Cause I wouldn't want to go without her."  Everyone laughs at Kate impression of a teenie bopper.

The waitress returned with their food, stopping their conversation for a time. The guys spent the meal getting to know the girls better. AJ learned that Julie also had not been to the show to see them, but the New Kids. He admitted that made it all the more exciting. It meant she wasn’t a BSB groupie.  After they finished eating, it was Kate who said the dreaded words.
"Well, we better get going. We still have a long drive."
"Yeah. Our bus driver is probably wondering what happened to us." Nick agreed.
"Can we walk you to your car?" AJ asked.
Julie smiled, taking his hand, leading him out to her car. Nick and Kate hand in hand, behind them.

When they got to her dark green Cavalier, they saw her “traveling stickers”. NKOTBSB was on the top of the windshield, in big white letters. AJ put his hand on her lower back, using it as leverage to pull her in. Once again, he was mindful of her foot. He looked her deep in the eyes. His dark brown eyes pulling her in.

“Are you driving?” he said in almost a whisper.

“No,” she breathed out, still lost in his eyes. “I have to ice my foot.”

“Good. That way I can text you as we travel.” He leaned in and kissed her so softly. Julie wanted more. How could this be? She knew nothing about this guy, yet she was more drawn to him that she had been when Donnie had kissed her.  He sensed her need and pulled her in tight. Their lips met with a great force. They parted ever so slightly, so his tongue could invade and dance with hers. Both his hands were wrapped around him. Her left foot popped up, of its own accord. She could stay like this forever. But in that moment, without warning, the sky opened and the rain started.

“Damn it,” Nick called out, as he was just pulling Kate into his arms for a kiss. The rain put a quick stop to that. He kissed her quickly. Julie was trying to call Kate into the car as the rain was beginning to come down harder.

“I will text you in a while,” he said. As Kate got into the car she called back.

“Text it to Julie. I am driving and she can read it to me.” He nodded as he climbed the steps to get onto the bus.
  They tried to stay behind the bus, but the rain got so bad. Kate had to slow down to only 25 miles per hour to be able to see. There were cars all along the road, pulled over, hoping to wait out the storm. They lost sight of the bus just moments after getting on the interstate. But the girls agreed it was fine. That way the guys had no clue they were gonna be in Kansas City later that day, to see them in concert again.