- Text Size +

 

ER

They sat at the ER for over an hour without anyone acknowledging they were waiting. Julie was starting to get irate. She began pacing.
"Jewels, please come sit down." AJ asked, reaching for her.
"I can't believe it's taking so long! What is wrong with these people? Can't the see she's hurt?" Julie fumed. She took AJ’s hand.
"I think your pacing is not making this any easier on Kate," he said, kissing her palm, trying to calm her.
Julie finally sat next to AJ, across from Kate and Nick.

"Jewels. Why don't you and AJ walk down to the gift shop and see if they have some cards or dice games we could play." Kate suggested.
"That's a good idea." AJ agreed.
Kate turned to Nick, "You can go too. If you want."
"No I'll stay with you." He said, placing an arm around her shoulder.

Julie reluctantly followed AJ to the gift shop; he held her hand to keep her grounded.
"She's going to be fine you know." he told her.
"I know. I just get so frustrated. I want to help her and I can't."
"But you are helping her. You're here to support her and now we're getting something to distract her..."

Kate' name was called not long after Julie and AJ left.
"Do you want me to come with you?" Nick asked.
"No it’s ok. They'll just ask me what happened and rush me off for x rays."
"Ok I'll wait for AJ and Julie."
Kate gave him a reassuring smile before following the nurse.

When they got to the exam room the nurse began her questions.
"And before we do any x-rays is there any chance you're pregnant?" The nurse asked.
"No-" Kate started to answer but then it occurred to her, she wasn't on the pill and they hadn't used a condom. "Well I guess it's possible but not likely."
"Ok well we'll just give you a quick test to make sure." She said.
Kate's heart was pounding. What was she thinking!!! Why didn't they use something?!

She took a deep breath to calm herself.
"How likely is it that you are pregnant really? Your periods are never regular so they likely hood of getting knocked up in the last three days is pretty slim." She told herself.

The nurse came back and drew a little blood.

Nick was still in the waiting room when AJ and Julie returned. Julie looked.
"Where's Kate?" Julie asked as she sat down.
"They took her back for an x- ray." He explained.
They played cards while they waited for Kate. It took about an hour before she came out. Her wrist was in a brace and she was carrying paperwork.
"Well?" Julie said, jumping up out of her seat.
"Yeah. It's fractured." Kate said. "I have a prescription for pain pills that I'll need to fill. And of course ice it for 15 minute intervals."
"But you'll live?" AJ teased.
He was rewarded by a smack to the stomach by Julie.

They filled Kate’s prescription and headed back to Julie’s house. Their afternoon plans had to be altered. They decided to spend the rest of the day at the house. Julie showed the guys to her movie room, so they could pick out the first movie. While to guys debated over movies, Julie went back to Kate to check on her.

Kate was sitting on the couch, just staring at the wall. Julie sat beside her, waiting for her to say something. When she didn’t say anything, Julie prompted her.

“So, what else did they say? You have been way too since we got back from the hospital." Julie asked.
"Oh I'm just drained." Kate replied trying to deflect the conversation.
"Hey Jewels... Have you and AJ been... Safe?" Kate asks.
"Safe?" Julie says totally confused.
"Yeah you know when-" Kate cut off mid sentence.
Julie turned to see where Kate was looking. The guys had come back in the room with a movie.

Julie went to the kitchen and popped a few bags of popcorn and shut all the blinds. It was almost dark in the living room, even though it was mid afternoon.
"So what are we watching?" Julie asked as she handed a bowl of popcorn to Nick.
"Your Highness." AJ replies.
"A good choice." Julie said moving to sit by AJ.

Nick and Kate were stretched out on one couch while AJ and Julie were sitting on the other.
Nick was running his hand though Kate's soft hair.
"I'll give you about ten years to quit that." Kate joked.
It took a minute for him to understand what she said, then he laughed.
"You know you're going to put me to sleep, right?" Kate said tilting her head back to look at him.
He smiled down at her.
"That's ok. You need the rest. I haven't been letting you get alot of sleep lately."

Kate did her best to stay awake but it was no use, she was soon asleep in Nick's arms.

After the movie Julie turned off the tv with the remote as she leaned against AJ.
"So what should we make for dinner?" She asked.
There was no response from Nick or Kate. She looked at AJ, he shrugged.
"Maybe they're asleep?" He suggests.
Julie leans forward.
"Yes, they are." She whispers.
Quietly she slips past them to grab her camera out of Kate's purse. She takes a couple of pictures from different angles before she returns to the couch.
AJ is just shaking his head.
"What?" Julie asks quietly.
"Girls like pictures of the weirdest things."
"Why is that a weird? They look so cute."
"But their asleep. They aren't even smiling."
"Trust me that picture will get Kate thru many nights when you guys go back-" She stopped choking up at the thought.
Her eyes misted up.
"Hey, what's wrong baby?" He asked.
She hastily wiped at her eyes,taking a deep breath to banish the thought. He runs a hand up thru her hair.
"Don't be sad June Bug," He says. "It's not forever. Just a couple of more weeks of the tour."

"I know." She said trying to hide her tears.
He knew he wasn't getting thru to her. He took her hand and lead her outside.
It was early evening but the sun was still up and the heat intense. He walked her down to the pool, standing her in front of the pool. He stood behind her with his arms protectively around her, his chin on her shoulder.
"Everyday I'm gone I want you to come out here and swim. I want you to think of me while you're doing it so that when I get back I can take you to my place and we can play in the ocean and I know that you won't panic when a wave goes over you. Ok?"
She smiled at the thought. He was coming back. He was making mental plans to take her to his place. He wanted to help her get over her fear.

He turned her to face him. I promise to call, text, email, Facebook, whatever you want just so you know that just because I'm not physically with you doesn't mean that I'm not thinking of you. I promise."
She smiled as he leaned in and kissed her. Kate was right, they were just going to have to trust that the guys would be true to their word.

Kate woke up to a throbbing in her wrist. It took a moment before she remembered what happened. She realized the movie was over and that they had both fallen asleep on the couch. She didn't want to wake Nick but her muscles needed to stretch. As she sat up Nick jerked awake.
"You ok?" He asked.
"Yeah I just needed to move." She said stifling a yawn.
Her rubbed her neck with one hand as he looked around for AJ.
"I think we've been abandoned." He said.
Before Kate had time to respond the french doors in the kitchen opened. Julie and AJ were just returning from the pool.
"Hey, you're up!" Julie said. "We were just discussing what to do for dinner."
"Let's go out." Nick suggests. "I don't want to make you cook again."
"I don't mind cooking." Julie replies.
"Let us treat you." AJ says.
Julie relented and they decided to go to Ruby Tuesdays.