- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Another day another mission

Julie screamed and tried to move as far away as she could from Nick and the knife. She closed her eyes tight and covered her face. “No, no,” she muttered to herself when she felt hands on her. How could he be here in her room? He was dead, how was he here?

“Julie,” her name was called again. She shook her head, tears streaming down her face. There was no way she was going to live after another encounter with him, he would make sure of that.

“Julie!” someone shouted and she felt her arms being pulled away from her face. She stiffened her arms in an attempt not to let him get to her face. Instead of a sharp pain from the knife she felt arms being wrapped around her and someone soothing her.

She moved her arms and opened her eyes. Nick was no longer standing over her bed and Kevin was next to her, his arms around her holding her tight.

“What did you see?” He asked her kissing the top of her head.

“Nick,” She stated simply as if that should be enough of an explanation. Kevin didn't question her further, it was enough for him. Julie had been fine the first few months after she'd been stabbed and Kevin had been shot. She was comforted in the fact that Nick was dead, but soon that wasn't even a comfort to her anymore and the nightmares started.

She wrapped her arms around Kevin and let him hold her. She felt her eyes begin to drift again and though she fought closing her eyes, she was afraid of seeing Nick's face again, her tiredness won out and the next thing she remembered was opening her eyes watching Kevin's muscular form pulling a shirt over his head.

“Mmmm, you should just leave that off,” She said as she smiled and stretched.

“Good morning,” he returned the smile and bent over the bed to kiss her. “Did you sleep better?”

Julie nodded. “I did, thanks.” She sat up and grabbed her jeans from the floor next to her bed. She knew it drove Kevin crazy that she left clothes lying around sometimes but she wanted to sleep last night, not fold her clothes. She pulled her jeans on, found a clean shirt to pull on then pulled her hair back in a pony tail. “What's on the agenda today?” She asked as they headed out.

“I have a meeting with Charles, Howie and Jessica. I don't know what you have planned for the day.” Kevin smirked at her as they started walking down the hall.

The elusive Jessica was coming in today. Julie knew the woman was smart enough to help Charles finish the project but unlike Charles, she had a life outside of the project and as a result was a scarce sight. The first time Julie had met Jessica was shortly after Kevin was shot, before her mother's funeral. Jessica had come to visit Kevin, she had said he was one of the reasons the project had been a success and it would have had a major impact on everyone if he had died that day. She had known all about Julie's strange circumstances that had gotten her involved with volunteers and was glad to see another strong woman join the team. They bonded that day.

Julie didn't mean to walk with Kevin all the way to the room that his meeting would be in, but she was lost in her thoughts and wasn't paying that much attention to where she was going.

“Julie,” Jessica's slightly high pitched voice called out. “Will you be joining us for the meeting today. It would be a welcome change to finally have more tits than dicks in the room for once.”

Julie laughed and shook her head. “I'm afraid not, I might see if I can get any information from our new captive today.” She glanced up at Kevin as he walked into the room.

Jessica watched as Kevin walked by and into the room. “Well, I'll make sure the meeting doesn't go to long. If I was younger and in your position I wouldn't want to be away from him for long.” the older woman winked at Julie before entering the room, closing the door behind her.

Julie shook her head and smiled as she turned to make her way to the holding cells. She pulled a chair in front of the cell holding Kyle and sat watching him. He was sitting on the floor, his legs crossed and his eyes closed.

“What do you want?” he asked as he continued to sit unmoving. “You are interrupting my meditation.”

“Oh I don't mind,” Julie spoke. She really didn't care if he was trying to calm himself or commune with some deity, she needed answers.

Kyle opened his eyes and turned to face Julie. “Why should I give you anything?” He sneered at her. “There are rumors of what you all are doing to those who you capture.”

“Do share,” Julie remained calm and kept her eyes on Kyle.

“You'll grill me, possibly torture me to get any information out of me of what I might have changed in history. Of what others might have changed. Once you get information or realize the person won't give you any information you wipe their memory and stick them in a time period that could be theirs, but you don't care about that.” Kyle was now standing right in front of Julie looking down at her, hate apparent in his eyes.

Julie shrugged. “I'm not in charge of that area, I only want one thing from you.” She stood to look him straight in his eyes. “I want the location of Steph.”

Kyle laughed at Julie and walked back to his cot, falling onto it. He lay there looking up at the ceiling and smiling. “Steph huh?”

“That's it, it's all I want. If you give me that information then maybe I could work something out. Maybe even arrange for you to be released,” It was a long shot but Julie needed information. She had to be the one to bring in Steph.

“You find a way for me to keep my memories?” He asked still lying on the bed his hands crossed on his stomach.

“Yes,” Julie mumbled. She didn't know how she'd be able to convince Charles of this, she still felt like he wanted to erase her memories and send her back some days.

She watched as Kyle continued to lay on the bed, twiddling his thumbs. In one swift movement he was standing in front of her, the plexiglass the only thing between them.

“Rot in hell,” Kyle sneered at her.

“I take that as a no,” Julie replied calmly looking up at him. She hadn't thought he would give up information on Steph so easily. None of the others they had caught were willing to even speak with her. This was the most she'd talked to one of the rogues after capture.

Kyle spat in Julie's direction, she watched as the spit started creeping down the glass. Kyle moved back to the floor and crossed his legs and closed his eyes again. “Now if you would be so kind,” he started. “I would like to continue my meditation.”

Julie had no intention of being kind. She wanted answers and as far as she was concerned this guy had not earned his quiet time. “If you won't tell me where Steph is, then tell me what you've been up to for the last six months. Where have you gone? What places have you visited? Who have you run into?” She asked him like they were old friends catching up but she could hear Kyle sigh in annoyance.

He kept his eyes closed and his head slightly uplifted. “If you are trying to get information about what things I've changed you will be disappointed.” He stopped talking again and no matter what questions or how many she asked, he wasn't speaking again. She sat there watching him for awhile longer hoping that he might give in and give up some information.

She stood to leave but turned as she reached the door. “Just remember I gave you this opportunity to give up this information and make a deal.”

She heard Kyle scoff as she exited the room. Instead of checking to see if Kevin was finished with his meeting she headed back to her room and pulled out her journal that she'd been tracking any information she had on Steph. She just started to read her notes when she heard the door handle move. She opened her desk and quickly shoved the notebook inside grabbing another empty pad of paper in the process.

“There you are,” Kevin said as he entered the room. “Charles has a mission for us.”

“Really?” she sat up straight. Any mission was a possibility to get more information.

“We have gotten wind of someone attempting to stop the Library of Alexandria from burning. We will be heading to approximately December of forty-eight B.C.” Kevin smiled like a little boy being told her could pick out a piece of candy in the candy store.

“You look excited,” She said as she stood, putting her arms around him.

Kevin nodded. “I've always wanted to visit Egypt,” He leaned down kissing Julie. “And to go there with you is an added bonus.” He pressed his lips to hers again, this time she pulled away and playfully slapped his chest.

“If it involves a library, shouldn't our librarian go?” Julie asked putting her hands in the back pockets of Kevin's jeans and pulling him closer. “I was really hoping for some alone time,” She licked her lips as she held Kevin's gaze.

“Charles has requested that we go on this mission and Howie as agreed that I am well enough to start going on more missions.” Kevin pulled her arms out his pockets and kissed her cheek. “We will have plenty of time for...later” He let the comment hang in the air.

“Okay then, as much as I regret saying this. Let's make sure that library burns.” Julie took his hand and pulled him from the room towards the clothing rooms. Maybe a chase through Alexandria would be like a cold shower.