- Text Size +

In the morning, Kate told Julie about meeting Lauren and Tessa and their idea for the karaoke contest.
"You did tell them I can't sing, right?" Julie said, self-consciously.
"Oh please, you sing just fine. Besides I don't know who the judges are, hopefully not the guys."
"I don't think it’s the guys because AJ was telling me last night what his day would be like and he never mentioned it."
"Good. I don't want that to affect the outcome. Come on, we better head over to meet them," Kate said.

As they walked to the banquet hall, Kate pulled out her phone.
KATE: Morning!
NICK: Good morning! How's my beautiful girl.
KATE: We're good. Hey I was wondering if Kevin ever comes on the cruises?
NICK: Not since he left, why?
KATE: Met someone last night that would like to meet him.
NICK: I'm sure there are lots of girls here who would like to meet him.
KATE: Are they this pretty?
She attached a photo she had snapped of Lauren.
NICK: Hm, may have to forward that.

Lauren and Tessa were waiting at the same table that they had met Kate at the night before. After Kate had introduced everyone they started talking about music.
"So, any ideas what we should sing?" Julie asked.
"Well, the contest rules say it has to be a BSB song," Lauren explained.
"Lauren and I were thinking ‘All I Have To Give’ or ‘Get Down’," Tessa said.
Kate shook her head, "No we need something more obscure, one that not everyone is going do."
Kate and Julie pulled out there phones and began surfing songs, playing bits and pieces to help them decided.
"We could do ‘Crawling Back to You’," Julie suggested.
"No, that one has sentimental attachments to it for us. It wouldn’t be right to sing that this weekend."
"Oh, how about ‘How Did I Fall in Love With You’?" Lauren suggested.
"No, it's mostly a duet. Just Brian and Howie. It needs to be more even. Aha! I got it ‘Inconsolable’!" Kate said.
"I don't know that one," Tessa replied.
Kate played her the song and everyone loved it.
"So, who's going to sing which part?" Lauren asked.
"Well, I can sing any of them," Kate pointed out with confidence.
"I want to sing AJ's part. I do better with the deeper tones." Julie said, "I know that Kate can hit Nick's high notes so she should sing his. That would leave Brian and Howie's parts."
"Which part has less solo?" Lauren asked.
"Um, Howie's. I think." Kate said, "He sings the bridge, though, with Nick."
"Ok, then that leaves me with Brian's part," Tessa said.

Julie suggested they try to find somewhere quiet to practice, but didn’t offer her and Kate’s room. Lauren let them know she had plans to hit the pool at some point, so maybe after lunch they could meet up at her and Tessa’s room.

They finished eating and made their final plans. The first round of karaoke started at 4pm and they had to be there a little early to make sure they got their names in to be called up. At the PDA party, someone would be announcing the groups that would be going on to the next round, which would be the following day.

The girls went their separate ways, agreeing to meet up in two hours at Lauren and Tessa’s room.

Julie suggested they to go to the pool as well. Kate was less than enthusiastic about putting on a swim suit but Julie was excited to put on her new electric blue bikini that had a soft ruffle around the top edge of the bottoms.
Kate wore a tankini with solid brown bottoms and a white top with brown and turquoise floral prints. Despite the pattern, Kate was still acutely aware of her baby bump sticking out. She slipped her turquoise cover up on over her swimsuit.
They both took a book to read by the pool.

They had just sat down when Julie's phone buzzed, indicating she had a message.

ALEX: Wow, Babe. Nice bikini.

Julie glanced around trying to get a sight of AJ. He had to be somewhere close to know she was wearing a bikini. She sent a message in reply.

JULIE: That message could be for any girl here. Look around at all the bikinis. How would I know that message was just for me?

She waited a few minutes to see what his response would be. As she waited, she ran her fingers gently through her hair, trying to avoid her stitches.

ALEX: I don't see any other beautiful women in a blue bikini, with a bald spot on the back of her head.

Julie should have been mad but it made her laugh. Kate looked up from her book, curious. Julie read her the text. Kate went back to reading.

Julie couldn't get into her book, so she people watched, still trying to find Alex. Behind her dark shades, Julie spotted a few of the girls she had met at the hotel, including the little blonde girl that was bound and determined to corner Nick.

Julie followed the girls’ line of sight and saw her eyes were on AJ and Nick. The guys were in the right upper corner by the edge of the pool, where there was a large basket of water toys and guns. Julie smiled big. Nick had no idea he was about to become the prey.

AJ picked up a super soaker water gun and began spraying the crowd. Julie took notice that not one drop of water was sprayed across the chest of any girl. Alex got them across the abdomen or the head, it made her smile.

Julie's eyes went back to be a little blonde girl as she walked slowly, making her way through the crowd, getting closer to Nick. Although the guys had security, they were not paying close enough attention.

The blonde managed to get up right next to the basket. As Nick leaned down to get another loaded water gun, she made her move to get right in front of him. He looked up surprised, seeing the girl so close and took a step back.

"Hi Nick, I'm Courtney. I couldn't help but notice that you're here alone."
Nick looked around at all the people.
"Hardly," he replied.
She stepped closer to him. Nick took a step back.
"So, I was thinking we should hang out," she said stepping closer. Nick stepped back again.
"We are hanging out. Let's go hang out in the pool," he said trying to move closer to his bodyguards.
She took another step closer, backing him into the wall.
"Actually I was thinking we could head back to your room and..."
Nick blushed at what followed.

As this was happening, AJ had two girls in the pool trying to pull him in. The two security guys were too busy dealing with that situation to see what was happening to Nick.

Julie knew AJ would be fine, so she kept an eye on Nick. She decided not to upset Kate, who was deep in her book. Besides she wanted to see what Nick would do.

This girl couldn't have been more than 5' 2" but for some reason she totally intimidated Nick. She grabbed the front of his shirt, catching him completely off guard. His hands went to her shoulders, trying to steady himself. She took it all wrong, thinking he was advancing on her, like she wanted.

Her hands went around his neck, locking her fingers, and she tried to kiss him. Nick was able to push her away before their lips met and side stepped away from her. Julie was laughing so hard. Kate just glanced at her, thinking it was another text from AJ, she followed Julie's line of sight and saw Nick walking back to the pool. She shook her head and went back to her book.

Although she hadn't kissed him, Julie could tell by the look on the girl's face that she was more determined now, than ever. Julie knew she would have to tell Nick and Kate about the girl's plans.

Julie picked her cell back up and sent AJ a text.

JULIE: What? Didn’t you want to take a swim?
ALEX: Not without you
JULIE: Good answer. So, how is Nick?
ALEX: Didn’t know anything was wrong with him.
JULIE: I guess you better ask him.

Julie had just set her cell back down when one of the few servers stopped by to see if they needed anything. They had been out in the sun for over an hour and they both were overheated. Kate asked for a Diet Coke and Julie got a Mountain Dew. She was still a little tired and sitting in the sun was just making her sleepy.

When the server came back, he handed them their drinks. He also handed Julie a small folded piece of paper.
“I was asked to hand this to you.”

Julie took the note and opened it really quick. The server started to walk away, but Julie hollered at him to wait a moment. He stopped and turned to look at her. She quickly read the note.

“Keep smiling, for soon enough, you won’t have any reason to smile.”

Julie looked up at the server, a small smile on her face.

“Do you remember what the girl looked like that handed this to you?” Julie asked.

“Actually, it was the bartender. He said it was given to him to give to you, but he can’t leave the bar. When I went to put in your order, he asked me if the order was for you. I guess he saw me approach you. So, here it is.”

“Any chance you would be willing to ask him where it came from? It’s not a very nice note and I would really like to find out who keeps sending them.”

He asked if he could see it, so she handed it to him. It was then that Kate looked over, wondering what Julie had going on.
“Do you want me to let the security staff know about this? It is a threatening letter, if I ever saw one.” The server sounded really concerned. Julie glanced over at AJ, who was just over the servers shoulder, but on the other side of the boat. She turned back to the server.
“No, don’t worry about it. I just wondered if he might be able to point her out.”
“I will go ask, and be back in a moment.”

Kate had sat up, setting her book aside, as the server walked quickly away.

“Okay. What is going on?” Kate inquired.
“Nothing, Don’t worry about it,” Julie said as she folded the note back up and shoved it into her book.

Kate wasn’t going to let it go. She kept asking Julie about it when the server came back. He didn’t have any helpful news.

“George, the bartender, said that it was passed to him by one of the many girls that have ordered drinks. He really wasn’t looking at her face.” The server blushed, making it obvious he wasn’t straight. “She just pointed you out and said the note went to you. I wish I could tell you more.”

“That’s okay. I still really appreciate you asking for me anyways.” Julie told him. He nodded and excused himself to get back to work.

Kate shifted her legs so she was fully facing Julie. She looked at her sternly. Julie knew she wasn’t going to get out of not telling her. Julie picked up her book and cellphone, as well as her soda.

“Let’s head to the room, and I will tell you.”

Once they were in the room, Julie went to her purse and pulled out the first note she had gotten. Julie explained to her when and where it had first arrived. Kate’s face turned white as she read the note.

“Have you shown AJ this?” Kate asked.
“Oh, God no. He would never have let me on the boat. He does not need to know.”
“Jewels, he needs to know. What if something happens?”
“Nothing is going to happen. I won’t let some jealous bitch ruin my weekend.”
Julie left it at that and went to take a shower. Kate was worried, trying to figure out who sent the letters. She was going to have to be more alert. She also decided to ask Leighanne about what they should do the next time she saw her.

As soon as Julie was out of the shower, Kate followed in suit. Julie sent AJ another text while she waited for Kate.

JULIE: Had to leave the pool. Got to hot. Need to get ready for the contest anyways.
ALEX: Contest?
JULIE: Yeah. Karaoke.
ALEX: Nice what are you singing?
JULIE: Don’t wanna tell you.
ALEX: No fair. I want to come watch but they have us doing water games for the next few hours.
JULIE: No worried. Love you
ALEX: Love you too.

Once Kate was out of the shower and dressed, they headed over to Tessa and Lauren’s room. Julie grabbed her laptop before they left so they could watch the video.
Lauren and Tessa had a small interior room. They had 2 single beds and bathroom with no bath, just a small shower stall. Lauren and Tessa sat on the bed on either side of Julie to watch the video. They played the video over and over, each girl began singing her part.

Once they had the song down they worked on their choreography. There wasn't much to it since it was a ballad, they mostly discussed who would stand where. They decided to coordinate their clothes as much as they could. All the girls had some form of pink shirt and blue jeans.

Once they arrived in the event room, the lady in charge of the contest explained the rules to the girls.
"Ok, I need you to fill out this form with your names and the song your singing. Tonight you'll be judged by a panel of judges from the music industry. They'll be looking for vocal ability as well as how you work together as a group."
"This isn't like American Idol where they critic you, is it cause I'm not sure I can handle that," Kate said.
"No, they have score sheets and they give those to me and I total points and will announce the finalist at the party tonight."
"So, if we make the finals do we have to sing the same song tomorrow?" Julie asked.
"Nope, I'll be contacting the finalist to make sure we have the music they want for tomorrow."
"Is it the same judges tomorrow?" Tessa asked
"No, tomorrow the finalist will be judged at the pool party by the audience. And the winner gets to perform with BSB at prom night."

They quickly filled out their form giving back to the lady. As they waited for their turn to sing, they sat at a table in the back to watch the competition. A waitress came by and took their drink orders.
"I'll have a strawberry daiquiri," Tessa ordered.
"White Russian," Lauren ordered.
"Virgin strawberry daiquiri," Julie ordered.
"Virgin piña colada," Kate ordered.
"Do you guys not drink?" Lauren asked.
Kate and Julie exchanged a look.
"I can't I'm pregnant,” Kate confessed.
"OMG! That's so cool!" Tessa said.
"How far along are you?" Lauren asked.
"Almost 18 weeks," Kate said. She ran her hand over her shirt showing the curve of her belly.
Tessa's hand went to it like a magnet. Lauren smacked Tessa.
"Hey, she may not appreciate that," Lauren scolded.
Kate laughed. "I'm getting used to it. My boyfriend thinks there is a hand magnet in my belly the way his hand is drawn to me."
"I can't believe he let you come on this,” Lauren said, indicating the cruise.
"Oh, he encouraged me to come. He said I'd have fun and since I won't want to travel after the baby is born, he wanted me to have this trip with Julie.”
Julie was impressed; she was definitely rubbing off on Kate. She was getting better at thinking on her feet.
They discussed the competition and how they thought they'd do.

When it was their turn, they went up and sang beautifully. Kate and Julie had no problem singing in front of everyone. They went to karaoke night once a week. Lauren even relaxed and had fun. She had a great voice she just didn't like being in front of all those people. Kate told her to think of if she won she'd get to sing with the guys.
Julie was stunned by Tessa. She was sure between her and Kate they'll definitely make the finals. When they were done they went outside to talk about how they did.
"OMG! That rocked!" Tessa said.
"We did really well," Julie said.
"So assuming we make the finals tomorrow, what are we going to sing?" Kate asked.

As they discussed songs they headed toward the banquet room to have dinner.
"I think we should do a fast song," Julie suggested.

They went through potential song but it was Julie who came up with the perfect song.
"I've got it! 'Straight Thru My Heart'!" She exclaimed.
"Yes! I love that song!" Kate agreed.
"Is that the video where they are vampires?" Lauren asked.
"Yes!" Julie said.
"Vampires?" Tessa asked.
Julie still had her laptop with her because she hadn't returned to her room yet. They all scooted around to watch the video.
Julie had the sound turned down but a girl at the next table asked her to turn it up. She even came over standing behind Julie and Kate to watch.
By the time the video was done a small crowd had gathered.
"I love that video." one girl said.
"I don't know, the red eyes are a little creepy," Said another.
Julie laughed at all the comments.
"Oh we are so doing that song!" Tessa said, "We should try to learn some basic choreography, then we'd be sure to win."

Kate phone buzzed. She looked at her text.
NICK: Hey baby I have some free time. Can you meet me?
KATE: Where?
NICK: I left a spare the key to my room with security. I'll wait till you're there then head that direction.
KATE: On my way.

Julie, Lauren and Tessa were working on the details.
"Do you guys mind if I ditch you for a while? That was my boyfriend and I kinda wanna to talk to him."
"Oh no, go right ahead." Lauren said.
Kate and Julie exchanged a look and smiled knowingly.
"We're going to find a place to rehearse. Just call me when you want to catch up with us."


When Julie and Kate had explored the ship on the first day, they had come across a room meant for fitness classes. There was a long wall with mirrors and a CD player in the corner. The room was empty. There was a paper on the wall, listing class times. Since there was no one there, Julie checked the door, it was unlocked. They quickly moved inside. Julie pulled out her laptop and began teaching them the choreography.

She was able to pick it up really quickly and taught it to the other girls. After about an hour, she turned the sound down so they could barely hear it. The three of them sang and danced, using the mirror as a guide. The girls had learned quickly and Julie had high hopes they would make it to the next level.

They were running through it one last time, when Tessa noticed a few girls had begun to hang out by the door and windows, looking in. As soon as they finished, Julie suggested they be done for now, but would get together again before the PDA party so they could be standing by each other when they announced the groups going to the next level.

Julie picked up her laptop and headed out the door. The girls that were there gave the three of them praises and told them they hoped they were called to the next level so they could see them perform the full song. Julie had no problem asking them to vote for them if they went to the next level.

Kate let herself into Nick's room after making sure the coast was clear. She sent him a text and stretched out on the king size bed. It wasn't long before he joined her.
He looked exhausted. He smiled at Kate stretched out on his bed. She propped herself up on her elbows.
"Hey, handsome." She said.
She sat up as he dropped on the bed next to her. She ran her hand up and down his back scratching with her acrylic nails.
He groaned in pleasure, rounding his back to enjoy the back scratch a little more.
Her hand moved up to his neck. He hung his head as she massaged his neck.
"Poor baby, you must be exhausted."
"Mm-hmm." He moaned.
"Why don't you go have a hot shower and I'll go get some massage oil and work on these knots?" Kate suggested.
"Massage oil?" Nick said raising an eyebrow.
He gave her a playful look. She smiled back at him.
"I thought you were tired."
"There are some things a man is never too tired for."
Kate laughed. She leaned over kissing him.
As he started to get more into it Kate pulled away.
"Shower." she said, pointing at the bathroom.
He groaned but did as instructed.

Kate went to her room retrieving her bottle of massage oil that she had packed.
She returned to Nick's room and waited for him to finish his shower.
He came out with a towel around his waist. He looked so tired Kate felt bad for him.
She moved up on the bed sitting on her knees, patting the bed next to her for him to lie down.
He flopped face down, folding his arms under his head. Kate poured some oil in her hand warming it before applying it to his back. He moaned as she worked on his low back first.
"How did you learn how to do this?" Nick asked.
"Practice."
"Did you go to school?"
"No, I've thought about it but never have."
"I feels really good."
"What time do you have to head back?" Kate asked.
"PDA party starts at 9."
Kate checked the clock and it was only 6:45.
"How long do you need to get dressed?" Kate asked working on his shoulder.
"What? You don't want me to go like this?" He teased.
"You really think this towel will last very long in a room full of screaming fans?" Kate pointed out.
Nick laughed.
"All the guys are wearing pj pants and tee shirts. So it'll take me like 5 minutes to get ready."
"Good, then you can have a little nap."
"A nap?! But I thought we were going to..." Nick said rising up on his elbows.
"You need some rest. We can do that later."
Nick grumbled but laid back down.

Kate worked down his arms as Nick drifted off to sleep. She set an alarm before she curled up next to him. He woke up enough to roll over and pull her close.
"I love you." He whispered sleepily.
"I love you too." Kate replied.