- Text Size +

The girls headed back to the boat to rehearse.
"I think we should rehearse with the teeth in," Julie suggested as they took a cab.
"Good idea," Kate agreed. "That way we can get use to singing with them. Besides once they are molded to our teeth we can just take them out and they'll be ready when we need them."

A little over two hours later, they all were in the fitness room putting the final touches on their performance. Once again, a small crowd had built outside the room. Julie really wished there weren’t three large windows that allowed people to look in. At least, once they got on stage, people would still be surprised. The girls watching had no clue how they were going to appear later that night.

Julie picked up her laptop and they headed out the door. As they were leaving the area, they looked around at the girls that had gathered. Most of them were smiling and giving them praises. But one dark haired girl was glowering at them. She stepped through the crowd to get closer to them. She looked right at Julie.

“If you win, everyone will know it is because you are screwing AJ, not because you have any talent,” she said with venom in her voice.
Julie just smiled at her as many of the girls in the area started talking to each other and to her in regards to whether or not what she said was true about AJ.

“I wish that was true, but you see, the guys don’t choose the winners. The girls on the cruise get to. And everyone knows that AJ isn’t screwing a fan.” Julie left it at that and spun on her heel, walking away, her friends in tow.

They split up to head to their separate rooms for showers. Julie plugged in her curlers while Kate was in the shower. She took her shower while Kate blow dried her hair.

Kate put on her black jeans and black tank top before curling her hair and doing her make up.
"Ok, that's just creepy," Julie said as she caught sight of Kate's red eyes as she returned to the bathroom.
"Yeah, I'm thinking we should wear sunglasses till we perform. No sense in tipping people off."
"Good idea." Kate sent a text to Tessa and Lauren to let them know. She also sent a picture of her make up so they'd know how to do theirs. They used heavy black eyeliner in a cat eye style and bright red lipstick.

Julie took her rollers out and just let her hair fall where it wanted. Kate handed Julie her red and black sunglasses before putting her own on. They stepped out of the room and headed to the main area to meet up with Lauren and Tessa. It was hard walking through the hallways with the dark glasses on, but they didn’t want anyone to see their eyes yet. They each had a bag with them with a change of clothes and a swimsuit for the party.

The party was in a bay where people could swim and surf. The stage was set up on the grass at the top of the beach so that people could sit in the sand and watch.
When they girls arrived they were told that they would be performing last. Julie was grateful; this meant that they got to watch all the other contestants first.


Lauren spotted the guys. They were sitting in an elevated sound control booth that was right in the middle of the crowd. They would have a perfect view of all the performers.

Matthew started off the show singing his hit Summer Rain. He then explained the contest and introduced the first contestants. The winner would be chosen by the audience support.

As each group went up, the singing seemed to get better and better. Julie really started to get nervous when the group before them sang ’I Want It That Way’, using some signature BSB moves. The crowd was going wild.
She groaned. "Oh man! They're good."
Kate nodded then smiled at Julie.
"We're better."
Julie laughed. Only Kate could get her to laugh when she had this many butterflies.

The girls were called on stage. They took their sunglasses off, setting them down on the steps. Kate slipped on her red coat. They kept their eyes down as they walked to their starting locations. Starting at stage right, Tessa took her spot, going down on one knee, followed by Julie, then Kate, and last was Lauren.

As the music began, Tessa stood up slowly, the others coming up one by one, looking out into the crowd. You could hear the gasps as people were able to see the blood red eyes of the girls. Tessa started the song, singing Brian’s part, the three girls moving the exact choreography the guys had done in their video.

Kate stepped forward, singing Nick’s part. They had adapted and changed all the she’s to he’s.
As they got closer to the chorus the girls dancing had them switching places on the stage so Kate was stage right, following Lauren, then Tessa and Julie at Stage left.

The dance moves for the chorus were very much like country line dancing and the girls made it look like they had been dancing the choreography their entire lives. They moved again, as Lauren was about to sing, to be in a diagonal line, the tip closest to stage left with Lauren at the head, then Julie, Tessa, and Kate in the back. They spun around the stage as Lauren sang to meet back in the middle, breaking to opposites sides as Julie stepped out to sing her solo.

When they moved to the chorus again, the crowd was going wild, singing along with them. They danced and moved all over the stage, taking full control of their performance. No one would have guessed that the girls on stage had only just met that weekend. They moved as a perfect team.

Kate stepped forward to take the bridge, the others in a line behind her. They stepped up beside her and one by one went down on one knee, except for Tessa, she kept standing. She played with the audience.
They all stepped up to the edge of the stage, looking right at the guys for a moment, instead of the audience. They moved back into a line towards the back of the stage with Lauren stage right, then Tessa, Julie, and Kate, to finish their choreography. They pulled in close together for the final notes.
The crowd went wild. The girls smiled, showing off their teeth. As they stood there, the screaming was breathtaking. It made Julie have a whole new appreciation for the guys. She would get a big head if she could be praised like that every night. She didn’t know how they didn’t have bigger egos.

Charlotte took center stage, smiling at the girls as she walked past them. She had all the other karaoke finalists brought up on stage for the announcement. As the finalists crowded the stage, Lauren watched as the 4 guys left the sound booth with their body guards, moving straight for the stage. The girls in the audience around them made a path, but reached for them as they went by. The guys touched hands as they walked past, Brian blowing kisses along the way.

It only took a short time before the guys joined them on the stage. Just like the girls in the audience did, the girls on the stage reached for them. Each guy made sure to touch every single contestant on the stage. The crowd never noticed that both AJ and Nick lingered just a little longer when they came to the girls in red. The four guys then moved to stand next to Charlotte for the announcement.

The finalists all stood in their groups, desperate to find out if they won or not. As they all waited, Julie reached to the girl in the group closest to her. She offered her hand, for support. She then reached to Kate, who was on her other side. The idea struck and within moments, all the groups were intertwined into one large group of girls supporting each other.

Charlotte was handed one of the wireless mics the girls had just used. She stepped to the center of the stage, BSB standing behind her, and the finalists behind them. She had an envelope in her other hand.

“Hello, everyone! Did you enjoy the performances?” The crowd screamed loud. “As we announced in the beginning, the choice was up to you. The Backstreet Boys did not get any votes at all in this. I am sure they would have chosen them all. We had four judges that based the decision on the reaction of the crowd. It came down to two groups. We could not tell which one you liked best. They both had equal screams and each group the crowds sang along.”

The group of girls all looked at each other, wondering who the two groups were, and what was going to happen next.
“I would like to ask group number nine and group number ten to step forward.”
Tessa looked at Lauren and paled. “That’s us, right?” she asked. Lauren just nodded as she pulled her forward. The nine girls stepped forward, the four in red going to stage right and the five others going to stage left. Charlotte had them stand next to her.

“We have spoken with the judges as well as the Backstreet Boys and we all agree, the best way to do this, is a kamikaze round. Both groups will be given a random BSB song to perform. They will have about 30 minutes to figure out how they want to sing it. The Backstreet Boys will do a short set of four songs, giving the two groups enough time to work things out. Your screams will be what choose the winner.”

The crowd went wild again. Julie looked at Kate and smiled. The two girls knew almost every song and Julie knew she could google the choreography and teach it quickly. She had confidence this was theirs. She looked over at the other girls. They didn’t look so assured.
Charlotte opened her envelope and read the note.
"Group Nine will be singing ‘Shape Of My Heart’ and Group Ten will sing ‘Safest Place To Hide’."
Julie smiled at the girls in her group. This was one of her favorite songs. She knew there was no choreography for that song online, but right away she had an idea of what they were going to do.

The two groups were taken off stage and escorted to a nearby hotel. At the hotel the girls were put into two separate conference rooms.
Julie quickly explained her choreography idea to the girls. The other three were a little weary when she told them her idea. Julie dropped the subject for the time being and they worked on their vocals.

Far too quickly, their thirty minutes were over and they were being lead back to the stage. Just as before, group nine went first. They watched as group nine did basic choreography they had thrown together. Their vocals were good, just not overwhelming. Julie turned to her girls.

"Trust me. The guys will go for my idea and it will be our win. If they say no, then no harm no foul." She looked right at Kate. She knew why Julie wanted to sing to them. This may be her only chance. Kate nodded and they all agreed before they took the stage.

As they were handed their microphones, Julie stepped to the center of the stage. The Backstreet Boys were off to stage right, waiting for the next set to start.
"We were hoping to get the Backstreet Boys to join us on the stage for our song," Julie said sweetly, looking over her shoulder towards them. Surprisingly, Brian step forward with a mic in hand.

"Absolutely, darling."

As the four of them stepped forward, Julie asked them to bring the bar stools with them, she had seen earlier when the girls had been on stage. Two stage hands followed behind them, each caring two chairs. They set them in a line, just like when the guys would sing 'I'll Never Break Your Heart.'

Julie motioned for the guys to take a seat on the bar stools. Stage right was Brian, then AJ, followed by Nick, then Howie. Each of the girls went to stand behind the guy they were singing the vocals of.

As the music started, Tessa moved to stand beside Brian. She took his hand into hers as she sang her solo.

 

Yeah, yeah
It seems like yesterday when I said "I do"
And after all this time my heart still burns for you
If you don't know by now that you're my only one
Take a look inside me and watch my heartstrings come undone

 

Lauren was up next. She took it up a step by putting one arm around Howie's shoulder.

I know I promised you forever
Is there no stronger word I can use
To reassure you when the storm is raging outside
You're my safest place to hide


When the chorus came, Julie moved to stand beside AJ. She put her left hand on his cheek as she sang, his dark eyes staring at her intently. Kate had stayed behind Nick but she wrapped her arms loosely around his neck, holding the microphone to her mouth to sing the chorus.

 

Can you see me, here I am
I need you like I needed you then
When I feel like giving up
I climb inside your heart I still find
You're my safest place to hide



As Kate began her solo she moved forward and the other three girls went back behind the guys. Julie put both hands on AJ's shoulders; Tessa and Lauren did the same thing to Brian and Howie. While Kate sang her solo, she sat on the very edge of Nick's knees. His hands went to her waist to hold her gently in place.

 

You see colors no one else can see
In every breath you hear a symphony
You understand me like nobody can
I feel like my soul unfolding like a flower blooming


Julie moved forward for her solo, but Kate stayed where she was. Nick was not letting go of her waist, but the crowd didn’t know that.
Julie got down on one knee, just to the side of AJ. She was singing only for him, telling him how much she loved him.

 

When this whole world gets too crazy
And there's nowhere left to go
I know you give me sanctuary
You're the only truth I know
You're the road back home

 

Julie stood back up at the chorus again. The other girls came back to the front as the chorus continued.

 

Can you see me, here I am
Standing here where I've always been
And when words are not enough
I climb inside your heart I'd still find
You're my safest place to hide
My safest place to hide

 

But everyone was in shock when the bridge came.

The girls had agreed that Kate and Julie would sing the bridge together, since it was Kevin's solo and they didn't have a fifth girl. But when Julie and Kate stepped forward to sing, before the words came out of their mouths, they saw something in the corner of their eyes, and heard the beautiful voice of Kevin.


I know I promised you forever
There's no stronger word I can use
To reassure when the storm is raging outside
You're my safest place to hide


The crowd screamed as he walked across the stage, coming to a stop in between Kate and Julie. Tessa and Lauren moved forward to stand on either side of Julie and Kate. The girls didn't miss a beat, as if his appearance had always been planned. They continued the song, but were surprised once again when the guys came up behind them, wrapping their arms around the girls waists as they finished the song.

Oh! Can you see me, here I am
Standing here where I've always been
When I feel like giving up
I climb inside your heart I'd still find
Yeah, yeah
You're my safest place to hide, oh yeah
You're my safest place to hide

 

Julie had never heard applause like that before. It was deafening. AJ gave her a squeeze as Charlotte returned to the stage.

"Well I think we have a winner." Charlotte said.
The crowd went wild. The girls hugged the guy whose part they sang and exited the stage. Kate stopped and hugged Kevin as well.

"Thanks," she said in his ear.

"Hey, I gotta take care of Nicky's girl," he replied.
Kate blushed as she left the stage.

The girls went and changed as the guys kicked off the ‘Larger Than Life’ Beach Party. The girls returned to the party and jammed out with the rest of the fans. People approached them all night congratulating them and talking about their performance.

The guys performed for over an hour, Kevin joining them for any of the songs he had previously been a part of. Thinking ahead, Kate had packed a blanket to spread out on the sand. The four girls hung out there during the party. After the guys were done performing, Matthew Morrison had gone back up on stage to do a few more songs as well as just hang out with the DJ. Tessa and Lauren offered to get sodas for everyone.

The guys had been mingling throughout the crowd since the concert ended. AJ and Nick had eventually made their way over to Kate and Julie, an entourage or girls and bodyguards behind them.

"So, here are our contest winners," AJ said, not revealing their relationship to the crowd following. He reached out a hand, offering it to Julie to help her stand up.
"Very impressive, that you learned our moves," Nick said.
"Thanks," Julie replied, as AJ was giving her a rich hug, his hands lingering on the bare skin of her back. “Sweetie,” she whispered into his ear. He let her go as they heard Brian’s voice.
"Hey, you found them!" Brian said, trying to work his way thru the crowd. "Well, part of them anyway." He looked around, not seeing Tessa and Lauren.
“They went to go get us sodas,” Kate told Brian, as Nick was helping her up.
“Well, once they get back, we need to get together and figure out what we want to sing together tomorrow night, and set up rehearsal time.”

Julie laughed at him. Brian looked over at her, raising an eyebrow. He took a step forward, pretending to push AJ out of the way.

“Are you laughing at me? Are you… Laughing… at me?” Brian was teasing her, but it made her laugh a little more. She straightened up a little taller and put on her faux seductive face.

“You are like the big brother of the group. It’s so cute. If you weren’t married, and I wasn’t already in love with someone else, I would be all over you.”

Brian blushed eight shades of red and AJ burst out laughing. Nick leaned in close to them and whispered loudly to Brian.

“Don’t let Leighanne find out. She saw how you were looking at Julie at the PDA party last night.” Nick was trying to be funny, but it hit a sore spot with Julie. Kate saw Julie’s face fall for only a moment before her smile came back. Kate reached over and lightly grabbed Nick’s forearm, getting him to look at her. The look on Kate’s face let him know he said something inappropriate.
Brian got the subject quickly changed by going back to what he had searched them out for. He looked right at Julie.
“When they come back, try and make your way over to the VIP area we have in the back, so we can get things figured out. Okay?” Julie nodded and he started to walk away.

Nick felt bad about what he said; he was just trying to be funny. But the look on Kate’s face said everything. He stepped up to Julie, pretending to congratulate her on the win. He opened his arms for a hug. Julie went to him, hesitantly. But when he whispered in her ear, she understood.
“Hey, I am sorry. I shouldn’t have said that.”
He stepped back and Julie nodded. AJ pulled her over for a friendly hug and said ‘Congrats’ again, playing to the crowd, as Nick did the same to Kate. The guys had barely left and moved on to another crowd of girls, when Tessa and Lauren came back with sodas. Kate told them how Brian had wanted to get together in the VIP area in a while to talk. The look on Lauren’s face was epic. She looked over and saw Kevin was sitting there with Howie and her heart skipped a beat.
"Let's go hang out in there." Kate suggested, "There's chairs."
Her back was starting to hurt and she hadn't missed the look on Lauren's face when she looked at Kevin.
The 4 of them gathered their things and made their way to the VIP area. It was the outdoor portion of the hotel's restaurant.
When they were stopped by security at the entrance, Kevin came over.
"It's ok; they're the winners of the contest. Brian asked them to come."
He let the girls pass and they followed Kevin to a table that he was sharing with Howie.
"That was very impressive," Howie commented as they sat down. "Did you start practicing that before the cruise?"
The girls exchanged a look.
"You mean the dance?" Julie asked.
Howie nodded.
"No, we didn't even meet Lauren and Tessa until we were on the cruise," Julie pointed out.
"Really?! Seemed so natural." Kevin said.
"Well ya know we're all BSB fans," Lauren said saucily.
"Speak for yourself," Tessa scoffed.
Kevin and Howie laughed.
"Tell us how you really feel," Howie said, a smile still playing across his lips.
"I grew up on N'Sync," Tessa said proudly.
Kevin looked at Kate and Julie. They were being a little too quiet for them to be so innocent.
"We're New Kids fans," Julie confessed.
Kevin laughed again, "And y'all won a BSB singing contest on a BSB cruise.
"Pretty much," Julie said, finding the humor in the situation.

Leighanne came over, having seen Kate and Julie walking to the VIP area.
"Here y'all are. I've been looking all over for you. Katy, how on earth did you keep up with these girls on that dance?" she said squatting down in between Kate and Julie's chairs.
Kate smiled, "It wasn't easy."
Kevin looked at Howie confused.
"Kate's pregnant," Howie said.
"Really? Is it-" He cut himself off before he said it out loud.
He jumped up out of his chair and came around the table pulling Kate up into a hug.
"Congratulations! I'm sorry, no one told me," he apologized.
"It's ok. We just told his family before the cruise but we decided it would be better if the fans didn't know I was on the cruise."
"Yeah, that's probably a good idea," Kevin agreed.
"Leighanne, why don't you pull up a chair?" Julie said, scooting her chair over to make room. Leighanne pulled up a chair in between Kate and Julie.
"So, is there any way we can get something to eat? I'm starving," Kate said.
Kevin waved over a server and they all ordered beverages and asked for menus.
They sat around talking and telling stories while they ate. Eventually AJ, Nick and Brian made their way in to join them. They pulled up another ttable and sat by Howie and Kevin.
"Hey! You found them!" Brian said, looking back and forth between Lauren and Tessa.
"I didn't know we were lost," Lauren said smiling.
"Don't worry," Kevin said to Brian, as he put an arm around Lauren. "I'll make sure it doesn't happen again."
"So,” AJ said, bringing the attention away from Lauren’s bright red cheeks, “any ideas what you girls want to sing with us at prom night?"
Everyone looked around at each other. No one wanted to be the first to say anything. Finally, Nick spoke up, breaking the silence.
"Well, I defiantly think we should do ‘Straight Through My Heart’ all together."
"Dude, did you see their contacts?" Howie said to no one in particular.
"And the teeth!" Kevin replied.
"Yeah, where did you guys get those?" AJ asked. “I know you didn’t have them with you before we got on the boat.”
"Julie found a costume shop here," Tessa told them, glad to be a part of the conversation.
"Hm... Thinking we need some too," AJ said.
All the guys smiled, devilishly.
"Uh, oh. That looks menacing.” Matthew commented on AJ’s smile as he joined them.
He was covered in sweat from performing, his white button up shirt clinging to his muscular chest. He stood behind Tessa resting his hands on the back of her chair. Julie looked over and saw Tessa’s cheeks flush red when she looked over her shoulder at him.
"Do what other song should we do?" Brian asked.
"We can do more than one?" Lauren asked, surprise in her voice.
The guys all smiled.
"Of course," Brian said. "Is there one you had in mind?"
Lauren looked hesitant to say it out loud.
"Well, I was thinking that there are enough of us to do ‘Don't Turn Out The Lights’."
BSB exchanged a look.
"Ya think it'd be ok with them?" Nick asked.
"Don't see why not?" Howie replied.
"Maybe we should ask them," Brian said.
Nick pulled out his phone, sending a text to the five guys of NKOTB.

NICK: Was wondering if you guys would mind if we sang DTOTL with some of our fans that won a singing contest.

JON: Sure.
DANNY: Of course!
JORDAN: LOL got some blockheads on your boat?
DONNIE: Sure but I want video!
JOE: We'd be honored.

NICK to JORDAN: I believe you know 2 of these girls.
JORDAN: Really?
NICK: Yeah. Katy and Julie.
JORDAN: Ah! My girls. Send pics!

"They all approved," Nick told the group a few minutes later.
"Good. Well since we are spending most of the day on the island tomorrow, we can probably just rehearse here at the hotel." Brian said.
Everyone agreed.
"Well if y'all will excuse me, I'm going for a swim." Matthew said.
"In the dark?" Leighanne asked, motherly concern in her voice.
"Eh, if we stay within the lights from the stage, we'll be okay," he replied shrugging.
"Mind if I join you?" Tessa whispered.
He smiled and held out his hand, helping her up. She almost tripped over her own feet. He caught her in his arms. She flushed bright red again, as her hands touched his wet chest.
"That sounds like fun!" Lauren said. She stood, up peeling off her shirt while looking in Kevin’s direction, revealing her voluptuous curves.
"I better come too," Kevin said. "I wouldn't want you to get lost."

The two of them started walking after Tessa and Matthew.
"Should we all go?" AJ asked the remaining people at the table.
Julie nodded.
Kate decided to go to the restroom before heading to the water. She sent Nick ahead with the others.

Leighanne and Brian were walking hand in hand. Julie was close to AJ, but trying to not walk right beside him, since there were still a lot of fans around. Leighanne sent Brian ahead, to walk with Nick and AJ, she wanted to talk with Julie. She quickly caught up with her, touching her arm lightly, letting Julie know she was there. Julie turned to look at her. Her smile was warm and genuine and reminded Julie of the look a big sister would give.

“How you holding up, honey? You doing all right today?” The concern in her voice had Julie worried.
“Yeah, I’m fine,” Julie said quietly.
Leighanne stopped walking for a moment. Julie got two steps ahead before she realized she had stopped. She turned around to look at her and her stomach filled with knots. Leighanne stepped up to her.
“Brian told me what happened last night at the PDA party. I am sorry I wasn’t there. I hadn’t been feeling well.”
Julie blushed red. “Why did Brian have to tell her,” Julie thought to herself.
“I want you to know that you can talk to me about anything. As the first BSB wife, I have done it all.”
Julie looked down at her feet, in shame.
“I hope you haven’t shamed yourself like I did last night.”
“Oh, honey!” Leighanne pulled Julie into a hug, running her hand down her hair like one would do with a crying child. “I think we all do something stupid like that at least once in our lives. But,” Julie lifted her head up to look Leighanne in the eyes, “look at the bright side of this. Brian told me that he had seen AJ taking sips of shots and after he saw you drunk, he immediately threw away the glass he had at the table. Brian told me it was like a new wake up call for Alex. He saw through his eyes with you, what we had seen with him.”
Leighanne let her go and they started walking again.

“Now tell me about these notes. Brian didn’t have much to say. He told me not to worry about it, which of course makes me worry more. Did Katy get any as well?”
“No, thank goodness. Kate hasn’t gotten any. I think it is just some jealous fan. But what I don’t understand is how they figured it out. Alex and I haven’t done anything in public that could be used to put us together.”
“It doesn’t take long. I am surprised you have managed to keep it secret as long as you have. Some of these fans are really crazy, stalker like. They know everything about the guys. We had to have cameras put up around our property because we had a fan that would come and sit at our house every day, watching us through the windows. One day she tried to talk to our son who was playing in the backyard. That was all it took.”
Julie gasped at the thought. She put one hand over her mouth. Leighanne laughed.
“That’s what I mean. So, like I said, if ever need someone to talk to, I am here. Being a part of their lives means dealing with these types of things. But we are strong women and we can handle it.”

Julie gave Leighanne a big hug as Brian and Alex backtracked to find out why the two of them were taking so long. Leighanne kissed Brian sweetly.
“We were just having a girl to girl chat,” she said, looking over at Julie.
Alex pulled her into his arms, whispering into her ear.
“Are you okay, baby?”
Julie just nodded. He let her go, but took her hand into his.
“Let’s go swimming.” They ran the distance to the shore, laughing as the small waves crashed against their legs.

Kate was still in the stall when she heard some girls come in.
"Well, they were really good," the first girl said.
"I know but the guys are like, hanging all over them," the other said. "And I don't know why. I mean, did you see the girl in the red coat? She's fat and Nick couldn't take his eyes off her."
"Well, she was singing his part. Maybe he just was watching because of that." The first girl defended Kate.
"Maybe, but he could do so much better. And I'm going to prove it to him."
The first girl laughed.
"It's not funny, I'm going to have that man before the cruise is over. I almost kissed him once. This time we won't be interrupted."

Kate peeked between the cracks of the door to get a glimpse of the girls. She only saw two. The girl that was boasting was a short blond in a pink bikini. She was skinny and pretty from what Kate could tell. The other girl was a little taller, a little thicker, and had short brown hair. Her face showed that she was kind.
The girls left the bathroom without even knowing Kate was there. She left the bathroom and went to inquire about towels for everyone.
The waiter she asked said he'd leave them by the table for them. She thanked him and started to walk down the beach.

She had her swimsuit on but didn't feel like going in the water. She walked bare foot in the soft sand away from the party. The girl’s words were still ringing in her ears.
"She's fat...we won't be interrupted again."
Kate felt sick. She knew Nick wouldn’t cheat on her but now she knew that people had realized that they were appearing together a lot. She knew it wasn't just her either. Outside the fitness center that girl knew about Julie and AJ. Why had they thought they could keep it a secret?

She was getting tired and she had walked a long way. She sat on the sand, her back up against a large rock. She could still hear the music but she was far enough away from the lights that she could see some of the stars.
She took a deep breath. She had to shake it off. It wasn't worth letting that girl's words get her down. She trusted Nick and they were going to have a baby.
Feeling more at peace, she walked back towards the party. She didn't get far before Nick found her.
"Here you are! I was getting worried. Are you Ok?"
"Yeah, I am now," she said smiling up at him.
He wrapped his arms around her.
"You’re all wet!" she said, trying to push him away.
"Yeah. I've been in the ocean," was his smartass reply. "Why didn't you come join us?"
"Oh, I'm just getting tired," she said.
He started walking her back to the hotel, his arm around her shoulders.
"Are you not feeling well? Should we take you to the hospital?" he asked.
She leaned her head against his shoulder.
"No, it's ok. Sometimes I just need to go think things thru, but I'm better now."
"What things?"
"Oh, just some gossip I overheard in the bathroom. But I'm over it," Kate said. "Oh by the way, some blonde in a pink bikini is planning on shagging you before this cruise is over."
"Courtney," he said, laughing.
Kate stopped walking. He turned to her, his laughter fading when he saw the look on her face.
"Security just escorted her back to the ship."
Kate raised an eyebrow.
"She's drunk. And she thought skinny dipping was a good idea."
Kate laughed and started walking again.
"We weren't going to stop her, but when she decided to try to de-pants me... Well it was time for her to go sleep it off."
Kate laughed wrapping and arm around his waist. He stopped walking and she looked up at him, the moonlight shining on her face.
"Never doubt my love for you, both of you," he said.
"I don't," Kate said, and she meant it. It wasn't him she was worried about. She had to keep reminding herself that dealing with crazy fans was part of his life.
He took her hand as they continued walking.
"Katy, maybe we should just announce our relationship. Then we don't have to worry about it anymore."
She sighed. "Yeah it's crossed my mind. But it's only a couple of more days. I think I'd like to be home before that press release."
"Ok, we'll wait." He kissed her hand.
Kate pulled out her phone.
"Wow, it's almost 11."
"Time flies when you're having fun."
"No wonder I'm tired." She sighed.
"Well, maybe we should head to bed," Nick suggested.
"Yeah. If I don't head back now, I might not make it," Kate said.
"Make it where?" Nick asked confused.
"Back to the boat. It's a long walk."
"Oh baby, we're not going back to the boat tonight. We're staying at the hotel."
"Oh," Kate said. That's why Brian said they could rehearse there. She wondered it the other girls had headed back to the boat and she'd have to walk back alone.

When they got back to the VIP section of the party, Kate only saw Leighanne getting her things. There was no sign of the other girls. They had passed AJ on their way in. He was alone, out mingling with the fans, only his bodyguard in tow.
"Hey girl! Where'd ya go?" she asked Kate.
"Just for a walk," Kate replied.
"Well, come on," she said waving Kate over. "Let's head upstairs."
Kate was confused. She looked at Nick.
"What? You didn't think I was staying here without you, did you?"
"So much for keeping it a secret," Kate said.
He smiled down at her.
"That is why Leighanne has your key and I am going to mingle for a while before heading up."
Kate shook her head. She didn't know if she'd ever get use to this crazy life of his.

As the elevator door closed leaving her and Leighanne alone, Leighanne asked, "Did you really think he'd make you go back to the boat?"
Kate blushed.
"Oh honey, he's more thoughtful than that."
"Oh it's not that. I'm just not used to..." she didn't know how to finish.
"To dating a Backstreet Boy?" Leighanne finished.
"Yeah."
"It takes some getting used to, that's for sure. I use to get so jealous watching all those girls ogle Brian. But then I realized he never looks at them the way he looks at me."
Kate felt so much better. She was glad she wasn't just being neurotic.
"Thanks, Leighanne."
"Hey, us BSGs gotta take care of each other."
"BSGs?"
"Backstreet Girls," she explained.
Kate laughed as the elevator opened.
A couple of the doors to different rooms were propped open. Leighanne lead Kate into one. Julie, Tessa, Lauren and another woman were all sitting on the bed, laughing.
"Kate, there you are," Julie said.
Kate smiled.
"This is Leigh. She's Howie's wife."
"It's nice to meet you," Kate said, as the tall sandy blonde haired woman nodded her head at Kate.
"So this is Nicko's girl," she said smiling.
"Nicko?" Julie laughed at his nickname.
"So, Leighanne tells me you’re expecting," Leigh said
Kate blush and ran her hands over her growing belly.
"When are you due?" Leigh asked.
"Mid April," Kate replied.
"Do you know what it is yet?"
"No, not till next week," Kate said, walking around to the head of the bed, close to where Julie was sitting. "Scoot over," she told Julie, "My back is killing me."
Julie slid over, leaning a pillow for Kate to prop behind her back.
"So, what were y'all talking about?" Leighanne asked.
"How we are with the six hottest guys on the planet," Lauren said boldly.
Leighanne laughed, "Don't let them hear you said that. They have big enough heads as it is."
"Be careful not to put them up on a pedestal," Leigh warned. "They are just normal guys and they all have their flaws and baggage just like everyone else."
"But they are still hot!" Lauren said, causing all the girls to laugh.
"Did I hear someone say hot?" Brian said poking his head in the door, "You must be talking about me," he joked.
Leighanne shook her head, "Ya know one of these days eavesdropping is going to get you in trouble, Mister."
Brian feigned a look of innocence. All the girls laughed.

He and Leighanne took off to their room, leaving the five girls to talk.
"He is such a sweetheart," Tessa said, blushing.
"They are a cute couple," Leigh said.
"So how did you and Howie meet?" Lauren asked.
"I designed their fan website."
"That's cool. Were you a fan before you met them?" Lauren asked.
"Oh yeah! My friends and I were all huge fans."

Kate stretched out on the bed.
"So do we all have rooms up here?" Kate asked.
She was mostly curious about Tessa and Lauren. She knew her and Julie would be staying with the guys, but the other two girls were a mystery.
Tessa blushed, "I'm staying with Matthew."
"Well. Be safe," Kate said, running a hand over her belly for emphasis.
Tessa laughed nervously.
"I will. He just let me know he had an extra bed and if I didn’t want to walk back to the boat…” She didn’t finish her sentence, she was blushing too much.

As the girls sat around talking about everything and nothing Kate found it harder and harder to keep her eyes open. She fell asleep as Tessa and Lauren explained what happened down at the beach.

“It was so cute,” Lauren said, “when Matthew grabbed Tessa around the waist and carried her into the water.”
“Why did he do that? Couldn’t she have just gone in on her own,” Julie asked.
“Yeah, if she would have gone,” Lauren laughed. “She was sitting there, just watching Kevin and I have a water fight. When I tried to splash her, she complained…” Lauren was interrupted when Tessa threw a pillow at her head.
“I wasn’t complaining. I was enjoying the view, thank you,” Tessa said.
“So, what happened next?” Leigh asked.
“Well,” Lauren sat up a little straighter. “Matthew looked over at her and started laughing. Then, before Tessa knew what was happening, he had swept her off her feet, literally, and was carrying her to the water.”
“But he didn’t drop me in. That was all Kevin!” Tessa was defending Matthew’s honor.
“Kevin?” Leigh inquired.
“Yeah. He tackled Matthew from behind, causing him to drop me into the ocean. I think Lauren told him to.”
The two girls went on with their play banter. They were hitting each other with pillows again. Julie wondered how Kate could possibly sleep through all the commotion.

While the two girls were at each other, Matthew and Kevin came up to the open door. Julie saw them standing in the doorway, watching the girls fight. Kevin stepped into the room, laughing.
“Now, now girls. There is no need to fight over me. There is plenty to go around.” Lauren’s head whipped around at the sound of his voice. Her smile took over her eyes. She dropped the pillow and stood up straight.

“Honey, you couldn’t handle us both. I doubt you can even handle just me.”
Kevin looked intrigued.
“Shall we find out?” he asked, offering his hand to her. She gladly took it and he pulled her into his arms. Her arms wrapped around his waist as he looked into her eyes.
“And to think, I almost didn’t come when Nick texted me.” They headed out the hallway to Kevin’s room.

Tessa blushed when Matthew stepped further into the room. He looked as shy as she felt. But he offered her his hand to help her stand. In true Tessa form, the tripped, and like before, her hands went to his chest as he steadied her. She looked up into his eyes and smiled.
“Shall we?” he asked. She just blushed as they walked into the hallway.

Leigh turned to Julie, scooting closer to her on the bed. Since they were the only ones still in the room, and Kate was asleep, she lowered her voice.
“Are you having a good time?”
“Yeah. Learning how difficult it is to date a Backstreet Boy, though. I thought that the past five months would have prepared me, but this cruise has been a wakeup call.”
Leigh just smiled and patted Julie’s leg, just above her knee.
“I heard.”
Julie put her head down. She was never going to live down the mistake she had made. She looked up at Leigh.
“Do I get sisterly advice from you, too?” She wasn’t trying to be rude, but she really wanted to put it behind her. Leigh must have read the look on her face.
“Nope. Just gonna remind you what I said to Lauren. Don’t put him on a pedestal. AJ has had the hardest time with the fame that came with being a Backstreet Boy. He needs someone who understands that.”
Julie nodded. She thought she had understood before, but she really hadn’t, until now. Just as Leigh had said that, Howie was knocking on the doorframe.

“Look at all the beautiful women,” he said. Leigh’s eyes lit up when she saw him. She was off the bed and in his arms faster than Julie could have imagined. It was so obvious how much in love they were.

“Good night, Julie. It really was nice to finally meet you.” Leigh and Howie were turning around to leave when Howie looked over his shoulder at her.
“AJ and Nick are still going strong down at the party, so maybe we should close your door.” Julie just nodded and he moved the towel that had been propping open the door. It shut quietly, leaving Julie alone with only the sound of Kate’s breathing.

Julie turned on the TV and was quietly channel surfing while Kate slept, but she was having a hard time keeping her eyes open. She had just fallen asleep when the door opened. The sound of AJ’s deep voice brought her awake. She barely opened her eyes to look at him.
"Ah, isn't that cute! Our girls are all tuckered out."
He and Nick were standing in the doorway watching them.
She stretched, "Took you long enough."
"What can I say? I'm just so popular." AJ replied cockily.
Julie scoffed, "Yeah, I know."
"So how long has Kate been out?" Nick asked quietly, stepping closer to the bed.
Julie looked at Kate then at the clock.
"Quite a while. She didn't last long after we got upstairs."

Nick smiled and walked over to her. He gently pulled the hair away from her face. She looked so peaceful, he hated to wake her but this wasn't their room.
He handed AJ his key.
"Can you open the door for me?"
AJ nodded and went to open the door to Nick's room. Nick scooped Kate up, her arms curled around his neck. She partially woke up.
"Where we going?" she mumbled.
"To bed," he said.

He carried her to their room. AJ had not only opened the door but had pulled down the covers to make it easier for Nick.
He laid her in the bed, covering her up and went in to have a quick shower to wash the salt water off him. He curled up behind Kate deeply inhaling the sweet scent of her perfume.


Julie stood in the shower, letting the hot water run over her. She heard the door open to the bathroom. She stuck her head out the shower curtain. She smiled at him as he took his shirt off.
“What… you couldn’t wait for me?” he teased.
Julie smiled at him. “Sorry,” was all she said. She went back to washing her hair, but she heard his pants hit the floor.