- Text Size +

 

It was ten in the morning when Kate heard her cell phone go off. She quickly grabbed it off the nightstand, not even bothering to look at the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Hey Katy, it's Leighanne.  Leigh and I decided we need some girl bonding time so we're going to go to the spa while the guys mingle with the fans."

"Ok." Kate said sleepily. "When are we meeting?"

"Now." Leighanne laughed.

Kate smiled, "Thanks for the warning.  Let me brush my teeth and put some clothes on and I'll be out."

She told Nick what was going on as she got ready.  Kate pulled her hair back in a ponytail and slid into jeans and a v-neck t-shirt. She kissed him goodbye and headed out to meet the girls.

All six girls had a quick breakfast before going to the spa.  When they reached the spa Leigh and Leighanne walked straight to the desk.

"Hi. I'm Leigh Dorough, I called about an hour ago."

"Of course Mrs. Dorough, reservations for six for massage, facials, mani, pedi, wash and style.  If you'll come with me,” the lady said, leading them to a locker room.

"Holy cow, Leigh! We're going to be here all day." Julie exclaimed as they changed into robes.

"That's the idea!" Leigh smiled.

"Besides, we have to look beautiful tonight for our men." Leighanne added.

"What's going on tonight?" Lauren asked.

"Well, the guys always take us out to a fancy dinner after the cruise."

"Oh my gosh! What are we going to wear?" Tessa asked, causing the other girls to burst into laughter at Tessa’s blondeness.

"What?" Tessa asked confused.

"We're wearing the dresses we wore last night." Leigh explained, "The guys will be in their tuxedos." She didn’t get to discuss the matter any further as the hostess from the spa returned to collect them.

"We have three massage therapists available, so who would like to go first?" she asked. The girls all looked back and forth at each other, no one wanting to hurt another’s feelings by asking to go first. Julie took a deep breath and spoke.

"Kate and I'll go."

"I don't think I can have a massage." Kate said, as much in a whisper as she could. "I can't lay on my stomach."

Leighanne glanced at the hostess who looked a little confused., "She's pregnant."

The hostess smiled at Kate. "Congratulations! Let's get you over with Michelle.  She is trained in prenatal massage and has an adjustable table."

 

Kate lay on her back on the massage table.  The lights were dim and soft music was playing as Michelle rubbed the tension from her body.  It felt so good.  Kate had never had a real massage before and after this weekend she needed it.  Her mind wandered as she lay with her eyes closed. 

"I can't believe he proposed." She thought to herself. "That was the last thing I expected.  He doesn't even believe in marriage.  Well maybe you helped change his mind.  Maybe, but what if it's still just about the baby?  He wouldn't have to marry me just because we have a kid together.  And where would we live? I doubt he'd move to Omaha, it's not exactly convenient for recording records.  But I don't want to move to Tennessee and then be alone when he's on tour. Besides I can't leave Julie.  Of course she may leave too.  With how serious her and Alex are getting she may move to California and then I'd be alone anyway.  And what about the horses? Nick doesn't exactly have room at his place. I have to be back to work Wednesday.  I wonder if Nick booked me a flight home? I better ask him tonight.  I wonder how long it will be before I see it again."

"Are you ok?" Michelle asked, "I'm I hurting you?”

Kate hadn't even realized that tears had begun to slide down her cheeks.  She wiped them away. "No not at all.  Sorry my mind was just wandering."

"Well, you just need to relax and think happy thoughts.  Did you get to meet any of the Backstreet Boys on the cruise?" Michelle asked trying to distract her.

Kate laughed, "Yeah, you could say that."

Michelle was confused but she didn't want to pry.

 

After their massages Kate, Julie and Leighanne were moved into a larger room for their pedicures. The three of them sat in a row, Julie in the middle.

"I feel like Jell-O." Julie said.

Kate burst into song, "You look so good you look like Jell-O." Both of them started laughing and Kate’s outburst.

"Ok, I definitely missing something here," Leighanne said.

"It's a 100 Monkeys song."  Julie explained.

"Who are the 100 Monkeys?" Julie and Kate explained about the actor Jackson Rathbone and his band. Leighanne didn’t know who he was so they had to explain the movie series known as The Twilight Saga.

“Ok,” Leighanne said, “This is a BSB cruise, not a vampire one. So no talking about another music group.”  She was teasing but the look on Kate’s face said she thought the other woman was being serious. “Relax Hon, I’m just kidding!”

 

Four hours later the six women had finished with their pampering and were headed back to their cabins to finish packing up and get dressed for the evening. They had been told that all they needed to do was place their bags outside the cabin door in the hallway and they would all be collected together and delivered to the hotel.  Kate and Julie were both a little apprehensive, but Leigh assured them it would be fine.

Julie was more than anxious to be with Alex again, so she just threw her clothing into her bags, not caring if they became wrinkled. She had everything ready and was putting her dress on when she heard the door open. She ripped the bathroom door open, thinking it was Alex. She was a little surprised to see it was just someone from the ship. The young man just smiled at her and asked if he could take her bags now.

“Of course.” Julie replied.

As she turned to go back into the bathroom she heard someone clear his throat.  She turned back to see Alex where the porter had been only moments ago.  He stood there just admiring her.  She bit her lip as she looked at him.  He wasn’t dressed up yet but damn he was good looking!  How did she ever get lucky enough to be with him?

 

Kate stood in front of the mirror applying her make up.  It hadn’t taken her long to get dressed and since her hair had been styled at the salon she had packed for herself and for Nick and set their suitcases in the hall as instructed.  She was just brushing on her foundation when Nick walked in.

“Hey, beautiful,” he said

“Hi, Handsome.”

“Did you have fun with the girls?”

“Yes, it was very relaxing.”

He kissed her bare shoulder.  “Good, I’m glad you had a nice time.” He stepped back into the bedroom to change into his tux.  Kate followed him, sitting on the bed.

“So what are we doing now?” she asked.

“Now we’re talking you girls to the Rusty Pelican for dinner.”

Kate looked down at her dress. “I’m thinking I’m a little over dressed for a restaurant called the Rusty Pelican.”

Nick laughed. “It’s a five star restaurant on the water.  You’ll love it.” Kate smiled, she knew Nick loved to spoil her but she’d be happy with take out and pjs at her house as long as he was there.

“So how are you feeling?” he asked.

“Tired, but okay.”

“Do you want to just go back to the hotel?” he asked, more than a little concerned.

“And miss dinner?  When have you known me to turn down food?”  She laughed.

“Good point.” He smiled as he pulled on his jacket.  “Well how do I look?” he asked, spinning slowly, modeling for her.

“Sharp!” She replied. He scooped her up in his arms.

“What are you doing?” she said, surprised.

“I’m taking you to dinner,” he replied innocently.

“Nick, put me down.”

“Nope.  Doctor’s orders you’re not suppose to be on your feet and you were already up too much last night at prom.”

Kate rolled her eyes. “This is ridiculous!  I’m perfectly capable of walking.”

“That’s not the point and you know it.  We already had one scare with this baby and I’m not taking anymore chances.”  She sighed in resignation as he carried her from the room.  They met up with the rest of the gang in the lobby before leaving the ship.

“OMG!  Kate what happened?” Tessa exclaimed running over to Kate.

“I’m fine.” Kate said calmly. “The doctor told me to stay off my feet so Nick’s taking that to extremes.”

“As he should.” Brian said.

“Oh no, not you too.” Kate said frustrated.

“There is nothing more precious than the life of your child.  Take care of it.” Brian scolded.

“Yes Dad.” Kate said looking pennant.

The group moved down the gangway to the waiting limos.  There were three limos waiting for them.  Nick carried Kate to the closest one and set her inside.  She scooted to the far door to let everyone else in.  Leighanne climbed in next sitting on the side bench.  Brian sat next to her then Nick got in sitting next to Kate.  Nick held Kate’s hand while they rode to the restaurant.

“So Kate, I hope you don’t mind but Leighanne filled me in on what happened last night.  I just want you to know that we’ve been praying for you.” Brian said.

“Thank you.” Kate said sincerely and looked down at her hands.  Tears had begun to sting her eyes.

“What’s wrong, honey?” Leighanne asked.

“Why would you do that?” Kate asked her voice barely a whisper. Brian and Leighanne exchanged a look then they both looked to Nick, who shrugged.

“Because we care about you.” Leighanne answered.  Kate looked up trying to blink back the tears.

“I appreciate the thought but I don’t think God cares about me anymore.”

“Why would you think that?” Brian asked

“I’ve fallen too far.  I can’t ask Him to forgive me now.”

Nick pulled Kate closer to him and Leighanne moved to sit on her other side, taking her hand.

“God loves you know matter what,” she said.

“My own mother doesn’t even care anymore so how can God?” Kate asked. Brian scooted closer on his bench leaning in to talk to her.

“Your mom’s human.  She makes mistakes too.  But God is so much bigger than that.  He loves us so much that he sent Jesus to die for us.” She wasn’t convinced.  Brian reached out placing a gentle hand on Kate’s belly.

“Kate, if your daughter made the mistakes that you’ve made would you still love her?”

“Of course I would.”

“And there’s nothing she could do to make you stop loving her?” Brian asked.

“No.  She’s my daughter I could never stop loving her.”

“Don’t you see your God’s child.  He loves you no matter what.  There’s nothing you can do that He can’t forgive if you just ask Him.”

“But I got pregnant.” Kate said meeting Brian’s blue eyes.

“This may not have been they way God intended you to have a family but this child is going to be a blessing.  Not just for you but for Nick and his family, for us as your Backstreet family.”

“You really think so?” Kate asked.

“She already is, Baby.” Nick said.

“But that doesn’t mean God will forgive me.” She said.

“God can only forgive you if you ask Him. Do you want to ask Him?” Leighanne asked gently. Kate could only nod, her tears flowing in earnest.

“Brian why don’t you start.” Leighanne suggested. They all joined hands.

“Lord we come before you now so grateful for this opportunity to speak to You.  Today we bring Kate before you to ask forgiveness.  Lord we all make mistake but You’ve promised in You’re faithfulness to forgive us.  We ask that of you now, Lord.  Forgive Kate for her sins, build her up and make her a strong follower of You.  Lord it’s never easy for us to humble ourselves and crawl back to you but we know that you will always take us back just like the prodical son.  Lord we ask for strength for Nick and Kate in their upcoming marriage.  We thank you for letting them find each other and pray that the challenges that will come up in their lives will pull them closer together rather than tear them apart.  We thank you Lord for you grace and mercy that you shower over us.  Please bless Kate and Nick with a safe delivery and a healthy child. In Jesus Name. Amen.”

Kate couldn’t believe it, she actually felt lighter.  Like a burden had literally been taken from her shoulders.  When she looked up she saw Brian smiling at her, she looked to Nick.  He had been crying too.  She hugged him.

“I’m going to be ok!” She said, “God does love us!  All of us!”

Nick held her tight.  He’d never had the faith that Brian had but now as he had prayed along with them he too felt his burdens lightening.

When they pulled up to the restaurant Leighanne whisked Kate off to the ladies room to fix her make up before the others figured out what was going on.  The guys stepped out of the limo and Nick grabbed Brian’s shirt.

“Brian,  I just want to say thanks.”

Brian studied Nick’s face.  He could see the change in Nick already.  Brian sent up a silent prayer of thanks.

“Your welcome.”

“I can’t tell you what it means to me that she’s happy.” Nick said trying to explain his feelings.

“I totally get it, bro.  There’s nothing I wouldn’t do for Leighanne.  I won’t lie to you marriage isn’t easy but it’s worth every minute of it.”

The second limo pulled up and Julie, Alex, Lauren and Kevin got out.

“Where’s Kate?” Julie asked

“She and Leighanne had to powder their noses.” Brian said making a funny face.

“That sounds good to me!  Lauren you comin’?”

“Absolutely!”

After the girls disappeared they guys went in to get their table.