- Text Size +

Kate

 

I ran out the back door and down the stairs off the deck, tears streaming down my face.
I'll never forget the look on his face when I told him. I ran down past the barn to the pond on the edge of my property, just wanting to be alone.

I collapsed onto a bed of long pine needles. Great. Snow. Could this day get any worse? And it's not even lunch time.
I curled up into a ball. Well, that's it. It's over. He rejected me just like I thought. I sobbed, letting the tears fall where they may. I'd be strong tomorrow; today I just need to fall apart.

I heard Julie calling me but I didn't want to be found. I silenced my tears. She'll find me eventually she knows where to look but I need a few more minutes.
I sat up, leaning against a stump looking out over the lake. I pulled my knees as close to my chest as I could, wrapping my arms around them, concentrating on the serenity of the scene before me.
There was a pair of Canadian geese swimming around. I watched movement in the cattails knowing that was where a pair of ducks had built their nest. I named them Cheese and Quackers.

That's when I felt it. Almost like a butterfly in my stomach. I placed my hand over the spot. When it happened again I knew that this was why I had to stay strong.


"Kate?" Nick's voice called my name. I closed my eyes. I knew I'd imagined it but I loved the sound of his voice and wanted to savor it.
"Katy?"
I opened my eyes to see him kneeling in front of me.
"Honey, I'm so sorry. Please forgive me. I was just so stunned by what you said that-"
"It's yours." I said, interrupting him.
"I know that."
I searched his face to see if he meant it.
"Please baby, come inside."
He pulled me to my feet, wrapping my coat around me. I followed numbly along. It wasn’t the cold but I felt completely drained emotionally.

He led me in the house and brushed the snow off my hair.
"Where's Julie and Alex?" I asked.
"They went back to Julie's after we found you. They wanted to give us some privacy."
I nodded. I headed upstairs to my bedroom to get out of my wet clothes. Nick followed me upstairs. He sat on my bed watching me undress. I pulled my wet shirt over my head.
"Can I?" He asked reaching towards my belly.
I stepped a little closer to him. His hands were warm as he caressed my belly. He leaned down kissing it, then looked up into my eyes.
"We're going to be parents." He said smiling.
"Are you mad at me?" I asked, still concerned.
"Why would I be mad at you?"
"I know we just started dating and I thought you'd think I did it on purpose."

Nick pulled me into his lap.
"I'm pretty sure it took two of us to make this little one." He said caressing my belly.
"I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back here. I got so wrapped up in work that I didn't make time for you. I hope you can forgive me."
He looked up at me. His gray eyes searching mine for answers. I leaned in, kissing him softly. I've wanted this so badly, to know I'm not alone. To know that this little one will grow up knowing it can depend on both parents. I placed my hand over his that rested on my belly.
"I love you Katherine." He said simply.
"I love you too."

Nick shivered and I realized for the first time that his hair and pants were all wet from being out in the snow.
"You're all wet." I said. He laughed as I stood up.
"Get out of those wet clothes." I instructed, removing my wet jeans.

We cuddled up in bed, my body heat warming him.
"Isn't it my job to warm you up?" He asked.
I laughed, "Not while I'm a human incubator."
He spooned up against me, his left hand rubbing my baby bump.

"Oh that reminds me." He said. "I'm out of your perfume and I didn't know where to get more."
"Why do you need more?" I asked.
"Well, if I have to travel anymore I won't be able to sleep without your scent on my pillow."
I laughed, "I have another one."

We laid there quietly for a few minutes, each of us lost in our own thoughts.
"Can you fly?" He asked.
What did he just ask me? I turn my head trying to look at him.
"What?" I asked.
"In your condition, can you fly?"
"Oh, on a plane!" I said, realizing what he's talking about. “Yes until my third trimester."
"Good. Will you come with me on the cruise?"
"What cruise?"
"The BSB cruise."
"When is it?"
"Next week."
I laughed, "Thanks for the warning."
"I'll arrange everything. Please say you'll come."
"I'll call my boss and see if I can get the time off."
He kissed my neck, sending a shiver down my body. His hand slid below my belly into the soft curls between my thighs. I moaned at his caresses. He rolled me onto my back; his lips met mine in a passionate kiss. I wrapped my arms around him, reveling in the feel of his bare skin against mine.
He rolled on top of me, putting his weight on his arms so as not to crush me. His knee parted my thighs. I wrapped my legs around him, pulling him closer.
He kissed me lightly, and then broke our kiss, pushing up straightening his arms.
"I don't want to hurt you." He said.
"You won't." I replied, running my finger through his hair.
He leaned down, kissing me again. I moaned as I felt him sliding into me. He was slow and gently as he moved within me. The feel of his body felt so right. I could spend the rest of my life in his arms.
"I love you," he breathed in my ear.