- Text Size +
Julie had gone looking for Kate after she ran out. As she came out of the barn she saw Nick and AJ walking toward her.
"She's not in here. She's probably down at the lake," Julie told them.
She pointed out the path to Nick and watched him head down the path. "Wave if she's there and we'll take off to give you some privacy," AJ said. When Nick waved to them, Julie and AJ headed for their cars.


When they got back to Julie's house, She plopped on the couch.
"You think they’re going to be ok?" she asked as Alex sat down next to her.
"Yeah, I think they will."
"He's not mad at her is he?"
"No, he's not mad. Still in shock I think, but they'll work it out." He paused, wrapping his arm around her and pulling her back to recline on the couch.
"So, I'm thinking that since we're alone, we need to talk about the cruise,”
“I’ve already told you I just don’t think it is a good idea. As much as I want to go, I don’t want to take time away from fans. Plus, since you broke up with Rochelle, the girls have been going crazy.”
“What do you mean the girls are going crazy?”
Julie blushed.
“Well, I joined the BSB fan club so I could go on the boards and see what fun experiences people have had when meeting you guys. And the buzz on there about you being single is insane. They are all hoping to get a chance at catching your eye.” She laughed.
Julie knew he loved her and she had no worries when it came to them.
“You joined the fan club?” He started laughing. “So now you have to come.”
“Wait, what? Because I joined a website, I have to go? And how did you come up with that?”
“I don't know it just sounded good.”
Julie let out a sigh. As much as she wanted to go, she filled with guilt just thinking about the girls that wouldn't get to meet him because he would be too busy with her.

“Well, I can’t go. All the cabins are sold out and I can’t stay with you. You need to be ‘single’. The fans are expecting it.”
“Hello… I am a Backstreet Boy and it is my cruise. I will get you a cabin. A really nice cabin. And you will go. Kate too. I am sure Nick has already talked Kate into it."

“But-" she started, but AJ interrupted her.
“No buts. Except yours, on the cruise.”

Julie let out a deep sigh. There was no talking him out of it. He already had his phone out and was texting away.
“You do realize the cruise is in a week, right? I have nothing to wear. I don’t even know what the themes are!”
He looked over at her, "I don't mind if you go naked."
She smacked him.
"You are such a guy."
"I know. That's why you love me."

He started telling her about the 80's night while texting on his phone.
“I think the girls are all gonna go more pop 80’s, where are us guys are going more hairband 80’s, like in the video 'Just So You Know'.” Julie quickly envisioned an outfit for that party and had the perfect idea she could pull it together so easy, it would not be a problem. But she needed to find out about the other themes if she really was going to go.


Kate woke up in Nick's arms. She sighed contentedly. They had fallen asleep after making love.
She rolled over, looking at the clock. 2 pm. Crap, she hadn't even fed the animals yet.
She moved quietly out of bed trying not to wake Nick. He rolled away from her in his sleep.
"Poor guy probably didn't get any sleep last night," she thought.
She dressed quickly in comfortable clothes and headed downstairs. She fed the dogs and headed outside to feed the horses. The snow had stopped but had covered everything in a beautiful white blanket.
The horses were waiting at the fence for her.
"Sorry guys," she told them, "But trust me, you aren't going to die if you miss a meal."
She walked down to the barn to get some hay. She decided she'd give them a little grain as well, to help keep them warm.
As she stood between the horses, she leaned against Jasper breathing in deeply the warm horse smell. She had no idea that she was being observed.

Nick sat wrapped in a blanket in the bay window seat in Kate's room. He had felt her get up and when she didn't come back he got up to check on her.
She looked so beautiful out there. She was in her natural element, completely relaxed. He'd forgotten what a calming influence she was. She didn't care about fame or money. In fact, she was always embarrassed when he bought things for her which made him want to spoil her all the more.

She gathered up the grain buckets and returned them to the barn. He got dress and joined her in the kitchen.
"Good morning." He said
"Afternoon." She smirked.

He stretched, scratching the back of his head.
"Would you like some lunch?" she asked.
"Sure," he replied, sitting at her kitchen table.
She fixed them grilled cheese and tomato garden soup.

"So tell me about this cruise." Kate said.
She listened as he talked about the nightly themes, parties, and activities. He described pools and workout rooms, saunas and hot tubs.

"How am I going to get a room? If it's anything like the New Kids Cruise, it sold out within hours."
"Babe. I already have a room. You can stay with me," he said, a smile creeping across his face.
"I'm not sure that's a good idea." Kate said reluctantly, placing a hand on her stomach. “Well, unless you’re planning on letting the cat out of the bag."
"Oh, good point," he said. "Not that I want to hide you but..."
"I'd rather keep it a secret from your fans, at least for now. I don't need to be followed around by the media."

After lunch Nick made a few calls to see about a cabin for Kate, followed by a call to AJ.
"Hello?" AJ answered on the first ring, his phone already in his hand.
"Hey, I was wondering if you guys wanted to meet up for dinner."
"Hey, that's sounds good. You have a place in mind?"
"Not really, but I feel like celebrating!"
AJ laughed.
"Ok, I'll ask Julie. You wanna go public?"
"May as well. Time to show these girls what dating a rockstar is all about."
"Ok I’ll get Julie’s help and make the reservations. We will let you know what time we'll pick you up."
"Cool. Hey, pick something fancy. And tell Julie she should convince Kate to go shopping."
"Alright. I'll have her call Kate."

He headed upstairs to find Kate. While he had been pacing around the living room trying to make plans she had gone upstairs where it was quieter. She loved Nick and loved having him here but Sunday was her day of rest.
He found her asleep in the window seat, an open book in her lap. He pulled her blanket up around her and sat on the bench facing her. As he trailed his fingers down her cheek, her eyes opened slowly. A smile spread across her lips.
"Hi," she said.
"Hi," he replied. "Must be a good book."
She looked confused till she realized she had fallen asleep reading. It wasn't the first time she'd done it.
"Guess I was tired" She said apologetically.
"I have a surprise for you," he said.
"Did you get me a cabin?"
"Oh, I'm still working on that. Tonight, AJ and I want to take you girls out to dinner."
She smiled at him sweetly.
"You are so sweet."
"We decided we needed to celebrate. So I asked AJ to have Julie take you shopping."
Kate was totally confused.
"Why would I need to go shopping just to go out to dinner?"
"Because I want to take you someplace nice."
"I have nice clothes. They are getting snug but..."
"Look, I haven't seen you in 4 months. Let me spoil you a little."
Kate looked doubtful until he turned his sad puppy dog eyes on her, then she started laughing.
Kate's phone chirped letting her know she had a text.


JULIE: OMG! The guys want to take us shopping and out to dinner.
KATE: Nick was just telling me.
JULIE: We're coming to pick you up.

In no time at all they were all together and off to do some shopping. Julie directed Alex to drive to the Westroads mall.
"Oh wow. I never get to come here!" Kate said sarcastically.
Julie laughed at the guys’ confusion.
"This is where she works," Julie explained.

AJ parked by the new Nordstroms, leading the girls inside.
Kate looked around at the clothes. They had beautiful clothes but she never shopped here. It was way too expensive. She followed Nick as he headed towards the Men's department.
"Babe, why don't you go find something beautiful to wear tonight?" he said encouragingly.
"Oh, it’s ok," she said embarrassed.
"What's wrong?" he asked.
"Nothing. I-I have something at home that I was going to wear."

Nick could see this wasn't going as easily as he hoped. He looked at AJ who was having a difficult time getting Julie away from the clearance rack.
Nick took Kate's hand and led her over to Julie were he took Julie's hand and led both girls upstairs towards the ladies department dressings room. There was a desk in front and a well-dressed lady sitting it. She looked up as they got closer.
"Good afternoon. How may I help you?" she asked sweetly.
"We are going out tonight and they both need proper attire." Nick said.
The lady smiled.
"Of course," she said happily.
Alex stepped up behind Julie.
"We are also going on a cruise next week so they'll need clothes for that, too."
"I don't-" Kate started to object but Nick, who had and arm around her shoulder, moved his hand to cover her mouth.
"Yes, she does."
"Is it to a tropical location?" the lady asked.
"Yes." AJ and Nick answered together.
"So summer clothes, swimsuits, evening wear,-" she said, making a list.
"And party clothes." AJ tossed in.
"I'll get them taken care of. Ladies, if you'll come with me we'll start with some measurements."

As the girls went into the dressing rooms, Julie turned back to AJ.
"Are we going to have time for all this?”
"Of course," he replied.
"But what about our dinner reservations?" she asked.
"Oh." He checked his watch, and then he looked back at the clerk.
"I think we will get them dressed for tonight then we'll come back to do the rest tomorrow."
"That would be fine. It will give me time to put some things together for them," she said, smiling.
"And don't let them see the price tags." Nick said, "We'll take care of it."
The clerk showed the girls into the dressing rooms while the guys headed down to the men's department.


“Kate, how does that one look?” Julie asked as she tried on her third dress. Kate was having a slightly harder time finding something she could justify letting Nick get for her. Although the ones she had tried on were fitting fine, all she could thing about was the fact there was no room to grow and no way to take it in after she had the baby. She was getting frustrated.

“Why do we have to have new dresses anyways,” She complained under her breath.
“Will you just come out,” Julie said as she opened her own dressing room door.

Kate took a deep breath and stepped out. Julie held her breath when she saw her. Kate looked radiant. She couldn’t understand why Kate was sounding upset. She looked so beautiful her dress was a strapless yellow full length gown. It had a jeweled empire waist that gave it a very feminine air.

“Wow. Is that the one you are going to pick?” Julie asked.
“I don’t know.”
"It's beautiful, what's the problem?"
"I look pregnant in it."
Julie laughs, "Hon, you are pregnant."
"I know but it's so expensive and honestly what am I going to do with it after the cruise?"
"I'm sure you can figure that out later." Julie said reassuringly.
"Fancy dresses should be like tuxedos, you can rent them for the event then give them back for someone else to choose."

Julie smiled to herself. That was Kate, always sensible. No one would have any reason to doubt her motives for being with Nick. She simple wasn't the kind of girl to lose herself to trying for 15 minutes of fame.

They found matching shoes and accessories with the help of Janell, their sales lady. Julie pulled out her phone, texting Alex to let them know they were ready.

ALEX: will I be surprised?
JULIE: I hope so.
ALEX: Nick and I are sitting in the little café. Be there soon.
JULIE: Better hurry. I think the baby is getting hungry. Kate is cranky.

Nick walked up handing Kate a cookie from the cafe. She smiled at him.
"How did you know?" She asked.
"A little birdy told me that you were getting cranky and I know that for me it usually means I'm hungry."

Both girls still tried to protest when the guys bought their items. But Nick and AJ instantly shushed them, insisting it was something they wanted to do.
They took their packages and headed home. Kate and Nick were dropped off at Kate’s with little time to spare. They needed to get ready for their dinner reservations.

Julie stood almost naked in front of AJ, her back to him. She only had on her tiny black satin panties. She was about to put her dress on, when he stepped into the room.
“That is not at all fair.” He said
Julie turned around quickly, caught off guard. His eyes went to her breasts. He looked at her with hunger in his eyes. He growled as he took a step forward. Julie started laughing.

“Don’t even think about it. I just finished my makeup and I don’t have time to fix it.” She turned back around to pick up the dress. He moved with swiftness, his arms wrapping around her, his hands going to her breasts. He gently kneaded them, causing her nipples to harden into little peaks.

Julie turned in his arms, kissing him lightly on his nose. Her hands went to his chest, pushing at him lightly, trying to get out of his arms.

“Not right now,” She reminded him. “We need to be picking up Kate and Nick in less than 30 minutes.”
AJ laughed deep in his chest.
“It won’t take that long,” he teased.
“It better take longer than that, but not right now.”
He let out a sigh of defeat and let her finished getting dressed.


Nick waited downstairs for Kate to finish getting ready. It hadn't taken her long but she had let him get ready first so he could check into the cabin again.
He'd gotten lucky. His assistant had found out there was a room on his floor. It had a king bed and living room with a private deck. He couldn't wait to tell Kate.

He looked out the front window again and saw the escalade pulling in.
"Katy there here!" He called.
"Coming." She replied.

As she stepped to the top of the stairs he was stunned. She looked so beautiful. No, that wasn't the word he wanted. Radiant. She seemed to glow. He had heard the expression before but now he understood.

As she descended the steps towards him he took in everything about her. Her long dark hair lay in curls around her shoulder. Her necklace of rhinestones was fit for a princess and she work the small diamond stud earrings that Nick had sent her as a gift.
"Wow" He whispered.
Kate smiled. She passed him and walked to the coat closet pulling out a fur coat. She handed it to Nick. He was shocked at the weight of it.
"Whoa! What is this made of, lead?"
Kate laughed, "That's a real mink coat."
He held it open for her to put on.
"Oh it's not for me, it's for Julie." She explained.
"Then what are you wearing?"
Kate reached in the closet and pulled out another fur, slipping it easily around her shoulders.
AJ knocked on the door. Nick reached over, opening it.
"You guys ready?" He asked.
They both nodded and followed AJ to the car. Nick kept a protective arm around Kate, not wanting her to fall in her heels.
He opened Julie's door, handing her the coat before walking around to get in behind AJ.