- Text Size +
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                         Chapter Thirteen

 

 

AJ stood at the large glass window staring at the girl in the bed.  He wasn’t sure if she was sleeping or just lying with her eyes closed but he couldn’t bring himself to go into the room.  She went hysterical while the police were interviewing her and the doctors had to sedate her.  What would he say to her? What would he do?  How could he make this better?  He knew he couldn’t, he knew this was something she was going to live with forever.  Live with the memory of being in that van all night with those men, the things they did to her.  His imagination played nasty tricks on him and he found himself running to the bathroom.

 

He stood at the long mirror with rows of sinks under it as he wiped down his face and neck.  Staring at himself in the mirror he worked on pulling himself together.  This wasn’t going to help her, he needed to be strong, and keep himself in control. 

 

Opening the bathroom door AJ walked back out into the hospital hallway and down to her room.  He stopped at the window again and saw she hadn’t moved from the curled up position she was in moments before.  “Maybe she is sleeping.” He thought to himself as he reached for the door.  Slowly he opened it making his way into her room.   AJ walked over to the small chair that sat by her bed, he looked at the bruises on her face, and he closed his eyes, putting his head down.

 

“Alex?” A small whispered came from in front of him and he looked up quickly.

 

“Hey” He said when he saw her lying across from him, her eyes half open.

 

“I’m sorry I left.” Eve said as he saw water gather in her eyes.

 

AJ slid his chair closer to her bed and took her hand, looking her into her eyes.  “You don’t have to be sorry, you didn’t want to stay, and I would never make you do something you didn’t…” He stopped.  “You don’t need to talk about this now Eve.”

 

“I didn’t want to leave.” She said ignoring what he said.  “I wanted to stay; I didn’t want to come back here and back to the club.  I didn’t want to dance for drunk or married men anymore; I didn’t want people looking at me like that anymore, I just wanted you too.”

 

“Then why did you change your mind?” AJ asked. 

 

“Brian” Eve said as she took a deep breathe and stopped her tears.  “Brian said it wasn’t fare to put you through what was going to happen when people found out about me.” 

 

“When did he tell you this?” AJ asked as he felt his blood pressure rising.

 

“The night I left, while you were in the shower and getting dressed.” She told him.  “It made me think that if they’re looking things up about me they’ll find out what happened, and I can’t deal with that, with it always in my face.”  Eve let go of his hand and gently brushed the tips of her fingers down the back of it.  “I got scared, freaked out; I’m not good at this stuff.  I’ve never felt this way about anyone.  I don’t want to hurt you, you’ve given me so much, I just…I just don’t want to hurt you Alex.”

 

AJ slid his arm under her neck and gently pulled her towards him.  He wrapped her in his arms as she cried.  His hand gently stroked the back of her head, his fingers drifting through her hair.  All the furry he felt for Brian was gone at the moment.  The only thing that mattered right now was her.

 

“We will worry about this later.” He told her as they pulled away.  “Right now just know that I’ll be here as long as you need me, ok?”

 

Eve lightly nodded and AJ smiled back softly.  He brushed her hair behind her ear and lightly kissed her forehead, being careful not to unknowingly upset her.  With his arms on her bed, her hand in his he rested his head on his arms as the two of them just lied there.  Eventually Eve fell asleep but AJ didn’t move as he laid there, staring, watching, not letting her out of his site.

 

A light knock at the door broke him from his gaze and he looked over as he sat up.  “Ted.” AJ said when he saw the tall man standing at the door.

 

“Is she awake?” He asked as the door closed behind him.

 

“No, she fell asleep a little while ago.” AJ told him as he sat back in the chair.

 

“The police filled me in on what happened.  I just came from Ricky’s room.” Ted told him as he stared at Eve.  “I don’t know what happened to you two but I’m glad you’re here with her.”  AJ lightly smiled not sure what to say back too him.

 

“How has she been since she came back?” AJ asked the only thing that popped in his head at the time.

 

“Slipping.” Ted said with a sigh.  “She started drinking at the club, she never did that always drank at home, and she came in drunk a couple of times.  Seems of late the only way she’ll get on stage is if she got a couple of drinks in her.”

 

AJ looked back at Eve remembering what she had said to him about not wanting to dance anymore.  “Have they found anyone or the van?” AJ asked.

 

“They found the van a couple of blocks away.” Ted said.  “Nothing on the people that did it yet.  They’re pretty sure it was two, one who knocked out Ricky and grabbed her and the one driving.

 

“Sounds like it was planned.” AJ said as he looked at Ted shocked.

 

“I never thought anything like this would happen, but I knew something would.  She’s my best dancer but she’s not like the other girls.  Guys who come to clubs like mine expect a certain thing from the girls and when they don’t get it, they get violent.”  Ted told him as AJ listened.  “When she met you and started seeing you, I relaxed a little, I thought she’d get out soon, since she had someone to give her the attention she wanted, she deserved.”

 

The sound of Eve screaming made both men jump and they looked at her shocked a little.  She screamed for someone to get off of her and AJ realized she was in a nightmare or waking up from one.  Quickly he made his way to her bed and sat down on the side, he grabbed at her failing arms, trying to calm her.

 

“Eve” AJ said attempting to get her attention. 

 

“Let me go!” She yelled. “Let me go!”

 

“Evie, it’s me.” AJ said when he took her face in her hands.  “Look Evelyn I’m right here.” 

 

Her eyes locked on his and it was enough to stop her, get her too look around and realize she was in the hospital.  As the realization set in and she quickly relived everything in her head she started crying, and AJ was there to pull her in and hold her.

 

“It’s ok darlin.” AJ said as he slowly rocked her, her face buried in against his chest, and she held on to him as tight as she could.  “You’re safe now Eve, no one’s going to hurt you.” He told her as he heard the room door clicked close.  Slowly he looked back and saw that Ted had left.  He looked back at Eve; his heart sank at how truly alone she was. 

 

“Why?” She mumbled out as she pulled away from him.  “Why did they do this to me?” She asked looking at him.  Tears welled up in his eyes and he picked up a piece of her hair in his fingers. 

 

“I don’t know Eve.” He said looking at her.  “I wish I could tell you, wish I could make the memories go away, make the pain go away but I can’t.”  She laid her head back against his chest and he held her closer to him.

 

Within a couple of minutes she was back asleep and he gently laid her down on her pillow.  He sat there for a moment, his thumb stroking around her IV.  Her knuckles were scratched up a bit and there were still spots of dirt around her nails.

 

“God Eve I’m so sorry.” He said he wiped his eye and slowly shook his head.  “You didn’t deserve this.”

 

Sliding his phone out of his pocket he slowly got off the bed.  He walked out of her room and down to the waiting room, where it was ok to use your cell phone.  After dialing he put the phone to his ear and waited.

 

“AJ, where the hell have you been, I’ve been calling your house, your cell and nothing.” Kevin said as soon as he picked up.

 

“I’ve been at the hospital.” AJ said.

 

“What!” Kevin yelled.

 

“I’m fine dude, I’m fine, it’s Eve.” AJ said as he ran his fingers through his hair.

 

“What’s wrong?” Kevin asked and AJ heard sincerity in his voice.

 

He took a deep breathe and then began to tell Kevin about the phone call that woke him up.  About the search he went on and then ending up here.  He left out any points about what happened to her that he could; only giving him what he needed to know.  Kevin was smart he could figure it out.

 

“Alex I dunno what to say.” Kevin said saddened.

 

“I’m staying here until she can leave and I’m thinking of taking her to my place, I think she’d feel safer there.  They knew what time she got out, they knew someone was on the door, they probably know where she lives and my place can be locked down.”  AJ said as he looked at the clock.  “I need you to keep Brian away from me and I mean it.”

 

“Look I don’t think Brian will give you a hard time about this.” Kevin said quickly.

 

“He had a talk with Eve the night she left Kevin.  A talk that made her second guess everything.  I don’t want to see or hear from him right now, all I care about is her and getting her through this as best I can.”

 

“Ok.” Kevin replied. 

 

“I need to go; I need to get back to her room.” AJ told him.  “I’ll call later.”

 

“Alright man, try and take it easy.” Kevin said. 

 

“Bye.” AJ said and he pressed end on his cell.

 

When he walked back into her room he was relieved to see she was still fast asleep.  He pulled up the chair and sat down, stretching his legs out under her bed, lying back as best he could and settled in for the night.