- Text Size +
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                       Chapter Eighteen

 

 

 AJ sat on the edge of his hospital bed.  He looked around the room taking one last look at a place he hoped he’d never see again.  The doctors told him he could go home after staying over night for observation.  His blood count was up, his lung was getting its strength back and he was healing nicely. 

 

“Now remember if you start…” His mother began to speak.

 

“I know Ma if I start hacking up blood I gotta come back.” AJ said as he slowly stood up.

 

“Alex.” Denise sighed as he sat down in the wheel chair.  “So where is Eve?”

 

AJ looked up at her and wondered how sincere the question was.  “She had to go down to the cop shop to talk to the DA, Kevin’s bringing her back to my place when she’s done.”

 

“I see” Denise said with a light, I’m trying to be nice, smile.

 

“Have you talked to her at all?” AJ asked as he got wheeled down the hall.

 

“Not really, by the time I got back she was leaving with Kevin and Nick.” Denise told him.  “I’m going to drop you off at your place and then head back to the hotel.”

 

“Mom” AJ said knowing she would have stayed if it wasn’t for Eve.

 

“It’s fine Alex really, giving you two your space; I’ll be over tomorrow we’ll have plenty of time to get to know each other.” Denise said as the elevator started going down.  He lightly sighed looking away knowing she was just playing nice and really didn’t have the strength to fight her on the subject.  Plus playing nice was a lot better than how she could be.

 

He climbed slowly into the car and waited to be taken home.  Back home to a soft comfy bed, quiet rooms and real food.  All the way home he watched out the window thinking about what had happened, thinking about what Eve was doing with the DA, hoping it wasn’t upsetting her too much. 

 

“Oh, well it looks like they are already here.” Denise said as AJ broke from his thoughts and looked out the front window.  Kevin’s car was parked outside of the house and he found himself feeling a little more relaxed knowing he wouldn’t have to wait long to see her.

 

“I hope everything went ok.” AJ said as he opened his door.

 

“Let me help you.” Denise said as she took the keys out of the ignition.

 

“I’m ok, just grab my bag please.” AJ said as he slowly pulled himself from the car.  By the time he closed the door Kevin was outside greeting him and lightly hugging him.

 

“Man it’s good to see you out of that place.” Kevin smile.

 

“It’s good to be out of there.” AJ said with a light laugh.  “How is she?” He asked as they made their way around the car.

 

“Quiet, well quieter than she usual is around us.” Kevin replied.  “I think she had to give a final statement about what happened in the van.”

 

“Lovely.” AJ sighed as they reached the door.  “Well hopefully that’s all she’ll have to do.”  He opened the door and walked into his house.

 

“Ok here’s your bag hun.” Denise said as she sat down her bag.

 

“Alright.” AJ said as he turned around.

 

“I’ll call later tonight check up on you.” His Mom said as she leaned in and gave him a kiss on the cheek and hugged him.  “I’m so happy you’re ok.”  They then both said I love you and he closed the door behind her.

 

“Not staying here?” Kevin asked as AJ turned back around.

 

“Nope, says she wants to give us our space.” AJ said with a sigh.  “I’ll take it.” He shrugged as Kevin lightly smiled.

 

“Brian’s coming in tonight too.” Kevin told him as they walked down the hall.  “He promises to be good.”

 

“Yeah” AJ said lightly rolling his eyes.  Before he entered the kitchen he looked around and only saw Kristin.

 

“She’s in the living room.” Kristin said with a soft smile.

 

“Well we’re going to head out get ready to meet Brian at the airport.” Kevin said as Kristin picked up her jacket.  “If you need anything call, if you can’t get your Mom to do it.”

 

“Thanks Man.” AJ said as he headed down the hall to walk them out.  The couple hugged him, Kevin longer than Kristin.  “Glad you’re ok man.” AJ smiled as they walked out of the door and he closed it behind them and then turned on his alarm.  He took a deep breath and walked into his living room. 

 

“Hey” He said as he saw her sitting on the couch.

 

“Hi, how are you?” She asked as he sat down beside her.

 

“Good, little sore but I’m ok.” He nodded.  “You? Kevin said you’ve been quiet.”

 

“Rough morning.” She said with a frown.

 

“Did you have to talk about it?” AJ asked as she cuddled into him.

 

“Yeah” Eve nodded. “And there’s something else.”

 

“What?” AJ asked as he pulled away.

 

“They haven’t caught the other guy yet and Mats isn’t telling them anything, he keeps saying he did it alone.” Eve said and AJ watched the worry fall over her face.

 

“Are the police sending someone over?” AJ asked.

 

“Yeah, it’s the truck that’s parked across the street.” Eve said still holding onto him.

 

“Well everything’s all fixed up and the alarm is on.” AJ said as he sat her up.  “You’ll be fine.”

 

“I know.” She replied with a soft smile, she reached up and touched his cheek.  “I have you.”

 

“Yes you do.” AJ replied and then gently kissed her.  “So since I got a sponge bath when I hurt my hand, what do I get for being shot?” He asked as a bright smile came across his face.  Eve smiled and then it turned into a laugh.

 

“How about we just watch a movie?” She asked still laughing at him a little.

 

“Yeah, that’s good too.” AJ lightly pouted as he laid back on the arm of the couch.

 

Eve put in a DVD and then settled on the couch with AJ.  The couple lied together AJ holding her as she laid between his right side and the back of the couch.  Her head rested on his shoulder, her forehead resting against his neck, and he noticed the longer the movie went on the heavier her head became.  About half way through he looked down and saw she was past out cold.  He smiled as he looked at her.  She looked peaceful and calm, no thoughts of the past week, no worries about what was going to happen to them. 

 

Taking a deep breath he closed his eyes and just lied there.  This had to be right he thought, no one felt this good in his arms, no one felt this calming and complete.  Maybe it was because she had had so much happen in her life that the little things didn’t bother her liked they bothered the others.  As he started to drift away into a sleep the sent of Vanilla and peaches lingered around his nose and it made him smile as a dream started to dance around in his head.

 

The dream went from a nice evening at Eve’s house with her to a violent fight between him and Mats.  Everything replayed in his head, being pulled away from Eve, fighting with Mats, reaching for the gun, AJ pulling Mats to the ground and the how it felt to hit him over and over for the things he had done to Eve.  Then he heard the bang, the sound ringing out, and the knowledge that he had just been shot.

 

His body shot up as he gasped waking from the dream, then a sharp pain in his side reminded him that it wasn’t just a dream. He moaned and winced in pain as he reached for the lower part of his chest.

 

“Alex?” Eve said as she walked into the living room.  “You ok?” She asked as he turned and slid his legs off the couch.

 

“Yeah” He said quietly still in a little pain.  “Nightmare I think.” His mind still a little fuzzy.  “How long have I been sleeping?” He asked as she sat down beside him.

 

“I woke up just as the movie was ending you looked pretty out of it so I let you sleep; you’ve been out for about an hour.” Eve told him as he slid his fingers through hers.  “Are you ok?” She asked pointing to his chest.

 

“Yeah I’m fine now, sat up to quick that’s all.” AJ said with a light smile.  Then something drifted around his nose and he sniffed.  “What’s that smell?” He asked as his stomach began to rumble.

 

“Spaghetti.” Eve said with a smile at his reaction.  “Figured you had had enough hospital food.”

 

“Smells good.” AJ said as breathed in again.

 

“It’s almost ready.” She said as she stood up and he got up, following her into the kitchen.  AJ walked over to his stove and looked into the pot of red tomato sauce.

 

“This isn’t canned.” AJ said looking at her.

 

“Most of it is but I added some fresh tomato’s, green peppers and mushrooms.” She replied with a shrug.

 

“You can cook?” AJ said not meaning to sound so stunned.

 

“You sound shocked.” Eve replied with a laugh.

 

“Well you’ve lived on your own for so long.” AJ said trying to cover his tracks.

 

“Good thing about cooking for only you, you can try different things and if it doesn’t work you’re the only one who has to eat it.” Eve replied with a smile.

 

He walked up behind her as she sliced up some bread and wrapped his arms around her, lightly kissing her neck.  “You’ll be fine.”

 

“Huh?” Eve said with a light laugh as she looked back at him.

 

            “If there’s one way to get to the heart of Brian, Kevin, D and Nick it’s through their stomachs.” AJ said as he sat down at the island.  Eve started laughing as she walked over to the large pot of pasta.

 

When the food was done they both sat at his kitchen island eating.  They talked about what else she could cook up, he told her funny stories about things that had happened on tour but they stayed away from the events of the past week and just enjoyed each other being there.  When they were finished he helped her clean up and tackle the dishes, even though he hated doing them he didn’t mind doing them with her. 

 

“Hello?” AJ said into the phone as he picked up while drying his hands.

 

“How are you?” His Mom said on the other end.

 

“I’m fine, just got done eating.” AJ said as he tossed the cloth at Eve and it hit her in the head.  He giggled as she turned around and tossed it back at him.

 

“What did you have?” She asked.  “I hope something more than a sandwich.”

 

“Yes, I had spaghetti Eve made it and it was yummy.” AJ replied with a smile.  “Are you coming by?”

 

“No actually I called to let you know I was going to go out with some friends, I’ll be over tomorrow morning but I’ll be calling and checking up on you.” Denise said and AJ wondered if she was lying.  Sure she had friends in Cali but was she really going out.

 

“Ok” AJ said with a nod as Eve hung up the cloth and headed into the living room.  The Mother and Son talked for a few more minutes and then said goodbye.  After he hung up the phone AJ headed into the living room and saw Eve flipping through the TV channels.

 

“Anything good on?” He asked as he sat down beside her.

 

“Nope.” She sighed still surfing through. 

 

AJ stared at her for a moment then he placed his hand over hers and the remote.  He slipped it away from her hands and set it down on the table.  He smiled when she looked at him confused and then he leaned in and gently kissed her.  Slowly their tongues tangled around each others as he gently pulled her on top of him, leaning against the arm of the couch.  AJ felt her hand slid up his shirt as his lips moved from hers to her neck.  Before he knew it his shirt was off and her lips gently caressed down his chest.  He closed his eyes and he moaned softly in pleasure as she slid his pants down.  His head rolled back as his fingers slid through her hair, slowly moving with the motion.

 

They stayed on the couch, they made love on the couch and now AJ laid there a small woolen blanket draped over them.  He held her in his arms, softly kissing her as her finger gently drifted down his chest.

 

“I love you.” She whispered to him as she rested her head on his shoulder.

 

“I love you too Eve.” AJ told her as he kissed her on the top of the head.

 

            He closed his eyes and lied there, not falling asleep, just laying there enjoying her being back in his arms.  Then the door bell went off and they both shot straight up.  Quickly they gathered up their clothes and AJ jumped down the hall as best he could putting his pants on as Eve rapidly put her clothes on too.

 

“Hi” AJ said breathless as he opened the door and saw Kevin standing there.

 

“Mmmhmm.” Kevin mumbled giving him the ‘I know what you were doing’ look.  “Someone wanted to say Hi.” Kevin said nodding to Brian and Leigh as they walked up to the house.

 

“What’s with the Truck out front?” Brian asked as he approached the door.

 

“Police, keeping an eye on things.” AJ said as he let everyone in.

 

“Did you eat?” Kevin asked as AJ closed the door.

 

“Yes, Eve made me something.” He said with a proud smile.

 

“What did she put in it?” Kevin jokingly asked looking at the messed up state AJ was in.

 

“Haha, fucking ha.” AJ said as he walked down the hall.