- Text Size +
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                    Chapter Twenty-Eight

 

 

 AJ sat in his living room, a cup of coffee in his hand, and a smoke in the other.  His body was dragging and his brain was foggy from the lack of sleep he had.  He took a sip from the mug and set it down as the doorbell rang.  Quickly he got up and answered his door.

 

“Hey” He said when he saw just Kevin standing there.

 

“You look like shit, you weren’t drinking were you?” His friend asked.

 

“No” AJ sighed as he turned around headed back into the living room.

 

Kevin closed the door and followed him.  “So I guess you didn’t sleep much.”

 

“Nope,” He replied as he grabbed his cup and took a drink.

 

“Well that makes two of you.” Kevin told him.  “She didn’t sleep either.”

 

“Thanks for calling and letting me know she was staying with you guys.  I was worried she would go to an old friend or something.”

 

“She wanted to go to the Wellness Center but we talked her out of it.” Kevin said with a light smile.

 

“I don’t get it, we talked about it on the way back from Florida one night, and I thought everything was fine.” AJ said confused.

 

“Maybe Brian just scared her.” Kevin said with a shrug.

 

“He’s probably got her all confused cause I know she’s worried about it, like I said we have talked about it.  It’s like he’s playing with her emotions he just doesn’t know he’s actually doing it.” AJ sighed.

 

             “She knows about the phone calls from your Mom.” Kevin told him.

 

“She does?” AJ said a little shocked, he was sure he kept them quiet.

 

“She told Kris she did, she says she agrees with them.” He replied with a shrug.

 

“Yeah well that explains it.  I didn’t know it was still bothering her, I really thought she understood where I was coming from.” 

 

“Well get dressed and I’ll take you over to my place, you two can talk.” Kevin told him as he motioned for AJ to go to his room.

 

AJ lingered for a little bit and then agreed.  Kevin waited for him to get dressed and then they both headed to Kevin’s in separate cars.  He felt himself getting anxious the closer he got to Kevin’s place and by the time he parked the car in the drive way his hands were sweaty.  Closing the door as he got out AJ followed Kevin to the front door and walked inside.

 

“Where is she?” Kevin asked his wife as he looked around the living room.

 

“Upstairs,” She told them with a light smile.

 

AJ walked up the stairs and followed Kristin’s directions.  The door was open slightly and he stood by it hesitantly.  With a final mental push he tapped on the door and waited.

 

“Come in” He heard her say and he gently pushed on the door.

 

“Hi” He said when he saw her sitting on the edge of the bed staring back at him.

 

“Hi” She replied as he walked into the room.

 

“Can we talk?” He asked as he sat down beside her.

 

“There’s nothing to talk about Alex you need to consider everything.” She told him.  “And for that you need time.”

 

“No I don’t Eve; I don’t need time or to consider anything.” He said a little frustrated.  “I thought I made that clear at the hotel and if I remember correctly you made it pretty clear you understood.”

 

“I do but Brian and your Mom.”

 

“Aren’t me so why are you listening to them?” AJ asked her.  “Why let them decide what’s good for us?”

 

“They’re not you but they’re a huge part of your life Alex.” She told him.

 

“But if I lose you because of them they won’t be.” He said as he stared at the wall across from him.  “After everything we’ve been through, if they are the reason I lose you, I will never forgive them.”  AJ looked at her as his eyes filled with tears.  “I’ve said everything to you already, I said it all at the hotel, I really don’t know what else to say or do to make you understand that I’m ok with it and it doesn’t change anything between us.”  AJ stood up and headed to the door.  “I’ll be at home if you change your mind.”

 

He walked down the stairs waiting for her to stop him but she didn’t, he waited at the door for a minute but he heard nothing.  Closing his eyes he turned the knob and opened the door leaving Kevin’s and leaving her.

 

AJ sat at home waiting for her to come in through the door that night but by the time eleven came around he gave up hope.  A day went by, two days went by, and on the third day he was going out of his mind.  He had called Kevin’s every day but she wouldn’t talk to him and each day he got angrier. Kevin came by once but only to pick up some clothes for her that’s when he found out Brian was heading back to Atlanta he told Kevin he wanted to meet him for dinner before he left, patch things up.  Then he had another thought and called his Mom and told her he wanted her to come out, stay for a few days, him and Eve had separated and he really needed someone to talk to.  His Mom came out right away of course and met him at the restaurant for dinner.

 

“So how are you doing darling?” She asked as they sat at the table.

 

“Been better.” He replied quietly.

 

“I think it’s for the best Alex.” She said as she took his hand.

 

“I bet you do.” AJ replied with a light smile.  “Oh goodie here comes Brian.” AJ said as he stood up.

 

“Uh, hey” Brian said unsure as to why Denise was sitting there.

 

“Hi Brian is Leigh Anne here with you?” AJ’s Mom asked.

 

“No, he’s here to eat, have seat.” AJ spoke up as he pointed to Brian to sit down.  As AJ sat down the two looked at him very confused.

 

“What’s going on?” Denise asked.

 

“This is an ‘I am sorry dinner.” AJ told them.  “You are sorry because of your constant meddling I’m on the verge of losing Eve.  I don’t care what you think of her, if you’re put off by who she use, notice the word use to be, and I really don’t care if you don’t like who she is now.  News flash guys it’s not up to you, it’s up to me, and I absolutely adore her.  Now you’d think the two of you would be happy but no, it seems nothing is ever good for the two of you.” He spoke to them in a calm manner as they sat at the table.  “And I am sorry because I’ve come to a cross roads and I’ve made a decision.  Until you Brian and you Mom, decide to give Eve a chance, a real chance, I don’t want to see you or hear you.”

 

“Alex” Denise said shocked. 

 

“What about the group?” Brian said rolling his eyes.

 

“The group is business; I’ll deal with you there, any other time, nothing.  I’ve done everything I can to show her I’m serious about her, that I know what I’m doing and now I’m showing you.” AJ told them as he stood up.  “I’m sorry it’s come to this but I didn’t let Mats or his friend, a bullet, or her almost dying tare us apart, I sure as hell ain’t letting you two.” AJ said to them and then left the restaurant.

 

He drove through the city practically to the other side and parked in Kevin’s drive way.  He got out of the car and adjusted his jacket as he walked to the door.  He knocked a couple of times and then waited.  Hopefully if things went according to plan Eve would answer, since Kevin and Kristin ‘went out’.  He quickly took a deep breath when the door slowly opened.

 

“Kevin’s not here.” Eve said as he leaned against the door frame.

 

“I know can I come in?” He asked.

 

“Sure” She replied as she stepped away and let him in.  As he turned around she closed the door behind them.  “I thought you were having dinner with Brian tonight.”

 

“I was, well did.” AJ replied.

 

“That was a quick dinner.” Eve said confused.

 

“I didn’t stay for dinner.” He said as he walked into the living room and sat down.

 

“Huh?” Eve said confused as she sat down on the other side.

 

“I asked Brian to dinner and I asked my Mom to dinner and we had a nice little conversation.” AJ said as he looked at her.

 

“What did you say?” She asked but the look on her face told him she already knew what he said.

 

“Told them they needed to get their shit together.  Everyone wants me to make a choice so I’m making it, until they learn to accept you in my life, until they see how much I love you; I want nothing to do with them.”  He told her.

 

“Alex” Eve sighed with a little regret. Then a moment of déjà vu, when he grabbed her legs, slid her across the couch to him and they stared at each other face to face.

 

“Evelyn” He whispered as he laid his hand gently against her neck, his thumb brushing past the corner of her mouth. “I know you’re confused, I know it was something you were worried about and having Mom and Brian act the way they did didn’t help any but don’t abandon us sweetheart.” Eve closed her eyes and he gently pulled her against him.  Slowly her arms wrapped around him, her hands slid across his back and the feeling calmed him. 

 

“I missed you so much Alex” Eve said quietly as the two sat still in an embrace on the couch.

 

“I know I missed you too so let’s stop this ok? Come home with me?” He asked as they slowly pulled away.

 

“I need to wait for Kevin and Kristin to get home.” She told him.

 

“I have keys and I have the code.” He said with a smile.  Eve smiled back knowing now he had the whole thing set up. “Go grab your things.”

 

AJ waited for her by the door and when she had all her things he set the alarm then locked up the house.  He helped her put her belongings into his car and they left for his house.  When they pulled up AJ wasn’t surprised to find his Mom waiting for him.  He looked over at Eve and saw her nervous expression.  Closing his door AJ got out of the car and walked over to her.  He waited for Eve to unlock the house door and go inside.

 

“What?” He asked looking back at his Mom.

 

“Can we talk?” She asked.

 

“Well I’m kind of busy.” AJ told her. 

 

“Why are you so mad at me? Brian was the one who said those things to her.” Denise asked.

 

“And you said it to me.”

 

“I’m just looking out for you Alex.” She told him.

 

“And I told you not too, I’ve been sober for three months now Ma, I’m getting my life in order and she’s going to be apart of it whether you or Brian like it or not.” He told her with a light sigh.  “Now it’s up to you if you’re going to be apart of it too.”  AJ leaned in and kissed her on the cheek.  “I love you but you need understand how important she is to me, she’s not the other girls, she’s not some fling, she’s something really amazing and I hope one day you’ll see that.” He lightly smiled at her and then walked into his house closing the door behind him.

 

“Everything ok?” Eve asked as he sat down on the couch beside her.

 

“Yup” AJ replied and he took her in his arms and laid back on the couch arm.