- Text Size +
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                     Chapter Twenty-Nine

 

 

            “I wanna say thank you for coming.” AJ said to Brian and his Mom as they stood outside.  “I know we’re not on the best of terms yet but it means a lot to share this with you.”

 

“I’m glad you invited me.” Brian said with a light smile.

 

“Where is she now?” Denise asked.

 

“She had a meeting with…”

 

AJ was cut off my Kristin as she flew out his back patio door. “She’s here!”

 

“That’s my cue, wish me luck.” AJ said with a smile as he fixed his jacket.

 

He walked inside his house and down the hall, stopping at the small table and grabbing the flowers he had picked up.  AJ waited at the door as her keys jingled in the lock and he felt a rush of nerves and excitement as the door opened.

 

“Hi.” Eve said looking at him as he stood in the hallway in a black suit and red shirt with a dozen lavender roses in his hand.

 

“Hi” He replied as he took her by the waist and softly kissed her.  “These are for you.”

 

“There beautiful but what for?” Eve asked as she took them putting down her bag and the envelope she was carrying.

 

“Just follow me.” AJ said with a smile as he took her hand.  They walked down the hall, through the kitchen and out to the back yard.  Eve looked around in a little bit of shock when she saw everyone there, including Brian and Denise.

 

“Alex what’s going on?” Eve whispered when she saw everyone staring at her.

 

AJ turned around and took both of her hands into his.  “I wanted everyone here to share this with us.” He told her.  “We’ve been through a lot Evie and I often wondered if we’d ever make it to this point.  When I first met you I learned how lost you were and how alone you were, I didn’t realize how lost and alone I was until I met you.  Now it’s a year later, you’ve gotten through all the bad things, I’ve gotten through the bad things, you got your diploma, your going to culinary school and god only knows what is in store for you.  I’m so proud of the person you’ve become and I’m proud of the person you helped me become.”  Reaching into his inside jacket pocket as he kneeled on one knee, AJ looked up at her as he held a small black box in front of her.  “I want to see what happens, I want to share everything with you, and I want to know, Evelyn Deiu will you marry me?” He asked as he opened the box in front of her.  Inside was a small silver ring with three stones in it, one dark red stone, a Garnet for his birthday, and one dark purple stone, Amethyst for her birthday, and a diamond sat in the middle.  Everyone’s eyes were fixated on her waiting and watching as she stared at the ring in front of her.

 

“I…” She paused.  AJ watched as her face began to fall into sadness.  “I can’t Alex.” Everyone around her gasped and AJ stood up quickly. “I’m sorry I can’t.” She said quickly sobbed and took off into the house.  He stood there in a daze not sure what just happened.

 

“Want me to go talk to her?” Kristin asked and it broke him from the fog that fell over him.

 

“No…it’s alright.” AJ said as he closed the box and slipped it into his jacket pocket.  Slowly AJ made his way into his house, he wasn’t sure where she went too and he wasn’t really aware of where he was going, he just walked around the place, waiting until he found the room she was in and he did, in the bedroom.  He stopped at the doorway and looked at her as she sat on the bed her back to the door.  Even though he was confused and hurt his heart broke as he looked at her.  Slowly he started walking towards her; it kind of felt like someone was pushing him to go.  When he walked around to her side she looked up at him and then looked away quickly. 

 

AJ was taken back by how calm he was, he wanted to yell at her, scream at her but he couldn’t.  He knew for certain that any other time he would have gone off, he would have taken off and let someone else deal with it but this time he just wanted to know why.  He sat down on the bed beside her and placed his hands on his thighs.

 

“That’s one of things I love about ya, you always surprise me.” He sighed and waited wondering if he’d get a reaction but he didn’t, she just sniffed and whipped her eyes on her jacket.  “What happened Eve, did I do something?”

 

“No” She said quickly as her head shot up. “No-no”

 

“Then what’s going on?” He asked.

 

“At…” Eve paused and took a breath. “At class today I was pulled out by one of the administrators, they told me because of my scores and reviews I’ve been invited to a culinary course in Europe, it’s like an internship.”

 

“Europe?”

 

She nodded.  “Six months in France and six months in Italy.”

 

“I see” AJ said looking away as he processed everything.

 

“I was going to sit down and talk to you but…” She paused.

 

“So you want to go then?”

 

“Yes, it’s a huge opportunity for me, there’s only so many that go.” Eve told him.

 

“What about us?” He asked as he looked at her.

 

“I don’t know” She replied and she started to softly cry.  “I know you could come and see me but I’m going to be so busy, the hours of the classes are long and plus I’ll be working somewhere.  The guys are talking about going back into the studio and you’ve told me how hectic things get.”

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded.  “When do you go?” He asked.

 

“In a month” She replied.

 

“Wow” He said a little breathless at the thought. 

 

The couple sat in silence for a moment and then Eve spoke up.  “I’m sorry.”

 

“No Eve you don’t have to be sorry, like I said I know were you’ve been now I see where you’re going and as much as it hurts to let you go this is really amazing, an opportunity of a life time, I don’t want to stand in your way.” He told her as he took her hand and held it.  “Why don’t you clean up and come down stairs, there’s a lot of food hanging around.”

 

“I dunno, everyone’s there and…god I can only imagine what your Mom and Brian are thinking.” Eve said with a frown.

 

“Evie don’t worry about it, you go clean up and I’ll go down at tell them, instead of an engagement dinner we’ll have a party for your internship.” He told her and he wiped a tear away with the back of his fingers.  “We have a month to say goodbye, I want you to enjoy today ok?”

 

“Ok” She replied with a light nod.  Without giving it another thought he leaned in and kissed her and she kissed him back.  They pulled away and AJ softly smiled at her, he then kissed her on the forehead and stood up.  He walked out of the room and closed the door behind him giving her some privacy. When he walked out back he saw everyone was still there, practically standing in a circle talking.

 

“Alex, is everything ok?” His Mom asked.

 

“Everything’s fine.” AJ said with a light smile.

 

“What happened are two engaged?” Nick asked.

 

“No, we’re not.” He replied as he fought back the sadness.

 

“I don’t understand, why would she say no?” Kevin inquired.

 

“She received an internship to learn how to cook over in Europe; she’ll be gone for a year.” He told them.  “So we’ve decided when she leaves in a month we’ll go our separate ways, we’d rather do that then just slip apart, or something worse.”

 

“Oh Alex.” Denise frowned. 

 

“Don’t be sad ok?” AJ told them.  “Not today, this is something really good for her, something really special and I don’t want her regretting it, so we’re all going to celebrate, just won’t be an engagement.”

 

“Are you sure you don’t want us to go?” Howie asked.

 

“No really stay, please.” AJ told them.  “I just wanted today to be special for her and it still can be.”

 

When Eve came out a few minutes later everyone put on their happy faces and congratulated her.  AJ made sure the party went off like it was suppose too and about a half hour into it everyone started to have a good time.  He stayed close by her through the whole night right up until he started saying goodbye to everyone.  When Kevin and Kristin left, they were the last two to leave, Eve went upstairs to change, and AJ walked out back to clean up.  Picking his jacket up from a chair he folded it in his arms and the black box fell out of the pocket.

 

“Damn it.” He sighed as he bent down and picked it up.  Standing at the table he stared at it for a moment and then opened it up as he sat down on a patio chair.  Looking at the ring he smiled, he remembered back to a couple of weeks ago when he found it, he knew right away that was the one and when he had their birthstones put in it he knew it was perfect.  The feeling washed away as his eyes filled with tears, he wanted her to be happy, to be her own woman, it was all he ever wanted but he never thought he’d have to give her up in order for it to happen.

 

“AJ?” Eve said and he looked up quickly as he snapped the box shut and tucked it under his jacket.

 

“Hey” He said wiping his eyes.  “Just cleaning up.”

 

“Alex” Eve frowned and reached for his hands, he jumped and dropped the box again.  They both bent down to pick it up but he beat her too it.  “It’s a gorgeous ring.” She told him as he held the box in his hand.  He didn’t say anything he just kept staring at the box not wanting her to see the pain in his eyes.  Gently he took her hand and placed the box in the palm and closed her fingers around it.

 

“I want you to have it.” He told her and then quickly stood up.

 

“What? No Alex I can’t take this…” She told him but he had already started to walk away.  Eve followed him into the house and caught up with him in the hallway.  “Wait Alex, I can’t take this.” She said as she turned him around. 

 

“Please.” He sobbed gently pushing her hand with the ring towards her.  “I…I think I need some time alone now.” He said looking at her.  She looked down and lightly nodded as he turned back around and walked up the staircase.

 

AJ stood at his bedroom window and watched as Eve went in and out of the house as she cleaned up the backyard, his tears streamed down his face, as angry thoughts, sad thoughts, and lonely thoughts went through his head.  When she disappeared one last time with the last of the stuff outside, he walked over to their bed.  Laying on his pillows he listened to the clank and clatter as she loaded the dishes and washed the ones that didn’t fit in the dishwasher. 

 

Then there was silence and as he lied there he wondered what she was doing, was she crying on the couch, the same couch they had spent many nights together on, was she sitting outside and remembering the many erotic swims they took, or…the sound of familiar music playing stopped his train of thought.  Slowly AJ sat up and listened, then he walked to the door and listened some more.  He lightly smiled as the first verse of the song she always danced too played through out his house.  Curiosity got the best of him and he made his way downstairs.

 

As he walked into the living room he said her name but she wasn’t there, all he saw was a chair in the middle of the room.  He stood there looking at it confused wondering why it was in the middle of his living room and then just as he was about to turn around, two hands slipped around from behind him.  They began to pull his shirt from his pants and drift along the stomach.  When he turned around he was met by her lips trapping his before he could even say a word.  Her hands slid up his chest and she gently pushed him into the chair.  AJ looked up at her as she stood in front of him and swallowed hard when he saw her.  She was wearing a thigh high satin robe and black high heels. 

 

She moved around behind him letting her fingers skim across his shirt.  Both her hands sat on his shoulders and then slid down the front of him as he felt her hot breath against his neck.  Her lips gently pecked just behind his earlobe and down the vein on the side of his neck as her fingers released the buttons of his shirt.  He watched as she tossed it onto the couch and then walked around to his front again.  She turned her back to him and untied her robe and let it drift around her body as she rocked and swayed, revealing she wore nothing under it when she slowly turned back around.

 

Eve swayed herself down in front of him, sliding his legs open, her hands grazed up his thighs as her body crept behind them.  Unhurried by the slow but hard pace of the music her body danced closed to his as her hands slithered up his chest and over his shoulders.  AJ watched intensely as her body rocked against his to the music but yet never touched him.  Their eyes locked as she leaned down close to him, her hair dangled beside his face almost like it was dancing and teasing him too and her lips taunted his every time they passed.

 

As her song began to end Eve straddled across his lap their eyes not breaking.  His hands slid up her sides around her back as she leaned in and kissed him.  Her fingers trickled down his chest, now a little sweaty and stopped at his belt.  She undid it as his lips drifted down her neck.  When his pants came off his kisses caressed her collar bone and down her chest.  Their lips reconnected as she slid onto him and his hands drifted back down, gently grasping her waist and then he let his fingers glide up her stomach, over her breasts and around her shoulders as he pushed off her satin robe.

 

 Eve draped her arms on his shoulders again as she rocked her hips against him.  Their foreheads rested against each other when their lips pulled apart.  They both breathed heavily as her pace quickened and with no one home but them there was no need to hide their erotic moans.  His eyes drifted to her lips, she gently bit down on the bottom and sighed with enjoyment as he gripped her shoulders pushing her onto him.  He whispered her name letting her know he was near his peak and she pressed her forehead against his as her hands gently rested on the side of his neck.  As his body tensed he began to tremble as he thrusted her down by her shoulders, moaning.

 

AJ started to get a little light headed and found himself drifting away until her lips pressed against his and she pulled him back in.  Slowly he got his wind back and started to come around.  Making sure his pants were completely off and out of the way, he picked Eve up, her legs still wrapped around him and laid her down onto the couch.  Reaching behind him he grabbed the blanket and laid it across them.  Her fingers drifted down the side of his face as he looked back at her.  He slipped in between her and sofa, wrapping the blanket around them as he laid his head on her shoulder.  Gently he grabbed her fingers slipping his between them as he brought them to his lips.

 

“You’re the best thing to ever happen to me Alex.” She whispered and he looked up at her.  A small tear dripped from her eyes and it made him frown.  He sat up on his arm and wiped the tear away.

 

“I feel the same about you Eve.” He told her. 

 

“You understand right?” She asked him.  “You know why I have to do this.”

 

“Of course sweetheart.” AJ replied with a soft smile.

 

“I just wish I didn’t have to hurt you.” Eve quietly spoke as she pushed back the tears.

 

“I’d rather have it be done this way, then to have to say goodbye because one of us couldn’t deal, tried forcing it and ended up doing something stupid that they would regret.” He told her as he laid his arm beside her.  “And it would probably, most likely be me.” He joked and he got a light smile out of her.  His fingers gently brushed along the side of her arm.  “I don’t think I could regret losing you to this internship, not if it gives you the life you want and deserve.”  Eve lightly smiled as he leaned down and tenderly kissed her. “Besides, you better keep in touch, I want to know how things are going and if you need anything you call me, ok? Anything” He told her as he lowered his head and looked at her with his cute seriousness.

 

“Ok” She told him with a light laugh.  Again AJ leaned in and kissed her with the same tenderness as before.  Pulling his lips away he moved them to her jaw line, then under her chin, and down her neck.  Slowly he sat up and let the blanket fall over her, he scooped her up, carried her out of the living room, and up to their room.

 

 

 

They didn’t spend a day apart that entire month.  He made sure she had everything she needed, he took her shopping for extra clothes for the cold Italian and French nights, they went on a small private trip just them out to Maui, and they even went back to Florida so he could show her around like he wanted to.  Now he stood at the terminal watching the people wait in line for security.

 

“Ok all set.” Eve said as she walked over to him with her boarding pass and passport.

 

“Sweet.” He nodded.

 

“So I guess this it.” Eve said as she took a deep breath.  “I need to get through security.”

 

“Ok” He smiled as he slid his arms under hers and wrapped her in a long, tender embrace as they pulled away AJ took a deep quiet breath and cleared his throat pushing down his emotions.  “So, call me as soon as you get to the hotel.”

 

“I will” She said with a nod.

 

“And remember if you…”

 

“If I need anything call.” She lightly smiled.  When she took his hand by his fingers he looked down as she slid hers between his and looked up when she stepped closer to him.  Eve softly trapped his lips as her hands rested on his waist.  He didn’t care who was around as he let her tongue slither into his mouth and tangle around his.  She tenderly pecked at his lips a couple of times as she pulled away and rested her forehead against his.

 

“I love you Alex, I always will.” She whispered.

 

“I love you too Evelyn.” He replied as they both let their tears fall.  “And I’m so fucking proud of you.” He told her as he kissed her again.  They hugged one last time, they kissed one last time, and after she went through security he watched her walk behind a curtain one last time.