- Text Size +
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                           Chapter Eight

 

 

 AJ stood in the kitchen wiping off the counter, normally he would have just sat down and ate but this wasn’t his place.  He tossed the cloth into the sink and grabbed the tray from the counter. Double checking he had the scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and Apple Juice he headed down past the living room and down the hall.  Using his hip he pushed the door open carefully and walked into Eve’s bedroom.

 

She had woken up a few times in the middle of the night with nightmares but AJ was right there beside her, reminding her she was ok and safe.  When he woke up this morning she was still sleeping beside him holding his hand against her neck and pillow.  Quietly he snuck out of the room and started to prepare her breakfast.

 

Sitting the bed table down on her night stand he carefully sat on the edge of the bed and leaned over her, kissing her lightly on the lips.  He called to her and she mumbled as he kissed her again.  When she opened her eyes he finally saw the smile he was waiting for.

 

“Morning.” She said half asleep.

 

“Morning.” He replied as his fingers drifted down her cheek. “Are you hungry? I made you breakfast.”  AJ pointed to the night stand and she looked.

 

“You made me breakfast?” She asked with a light smile.

 

“Don’t get excited it’s one of the only things I know how to cook.”  He said as he flashed her a smile.  “You didn’t each much yesterday, wasn’t sure how you would be this morning after all the drinking.”  AJ said as he took her hand.  Eve’s eyes drifted away and her face fell in sadness.  “It’s ok Eve, I’ve done worse because of the shit in my life, nothings changed because of what happened.”

 

“Really?” She asked as she looked up at him.

 

He took her hand and kissed the back of her fingers.  “Really.”  Eve smiled as she took a deep breath and looked over at the bed table.  “Are you hungry?”

 

“Yeah a little.” She nodded as she looked back at him.  He reached up and took the small table setting it in front of her once she got comfortable. “Did you eat?” She asked.

 

“I had some toast.” He told her as she picked up her glass.

 

“Well I’m not going to be able to eat this entire plate so go grab a fork.” She told him nodding towards the door.  AJ did just that and joined her back on the bed in a couple of seconds. 

 

“How are you feeling?” He asked as he picked up some eggs.

 

“I’m better.” She said and then exhaled.  “Thanks for staying.”

 

“No problem, I was worried about you.” He told her.

 

“You were?” She asked and he was taken back by her shock.

 

“Of course I was, when they told me at the club you hadn’t shown up and you hadn’t even called Ted, then I heard your voice downstairs I knew something was wrong. When I got up here and I saw the bottles everywhere, it reminded me of me a couple of years ago.” He said as he set the table down when they were both done eating.

 

“Before you tried rehab?” She asked.

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded.  “I think you’re something special Eve, I don’t care about your job because I know you won’t go where most girls go, you’re loving and caring and you didn’t act like you had this big secret.  I thought you were a ‘normal’ girl who just happened to be a stripper.” AJ said with a light smile and she smiled back.  “People don’t get me, people who have known me for years don’t get me, and they don’t know the kind of pain, anger, and loneliness I feel but you do.  We may not have had the same experiences to get to that point but what we feel is the same.” She lightly smiled at the attention he gave her.

 

“So I was thinking since Ted gave you the night off tonight how about we spend the day at my place, and you can chill by the pool all day.”  AJ asked her as he took her hand.

 

“Sure” She nodded.

 

“Sweet.” He said standing up.  “I’ll go clear this stuff and you can get ready.”

 

“Ok” She said as he picked up the tray and headed out of the room.

 

A half hour later they left Eve’s place and walked to AJ’s car.  He opened the door for her and she got in.  They talked a little bit in the car but it was pretty much a quiet ride. He didn’t mind, he understood why she didn’t feel like talking much right now but he hoped some time at his place would lift her up a little.

 

“It’s a little empty on the inside, haven’t really had a chance to pick some things up since Sarah left.” He said as he climbed out of the car.

 

“You’ve been to my place right?” She asked looking at him over the roof.  He laughed as he closed the door and met her at the front.  Taking her hand he walked to her to the door.   When he unlocked the door he led her inside and turned off the alarm.

 

“I need to check my messages in my office just make yourself comfortable.” He said pointing to the couch and TV in his living room.  Eve walked into the living room and AJ caught himself staring at her, he lightly smirked, it was nice seeing her in his living room.  Breaking his eyes from her he headed down the hall and into his office.  As he listened to his messages play through he quickly checked his email.

 

“You wanna go for a swim?” AJ asked as he walked into the living room from his office.

 

“Sure” Eve nodded.  He took her hand as she stood up and he led her too the back doors. 

 

AJ walked over to the pool and took the cover off and then grabbed the roaming vacuum and put it in.  When he looked up he saw Eve sliding her pants off, revealing her Bikini bottoms.  He lightly bit his lip as he watched her fold her clothes and place them on the patio chair.  Catching himself before he slipped into another day dream he walked around the pool.

 

“I’m gonna go throw my suit on.” He told her as he stood at the door.

 

When he came back down he saw she was already in the pool floating on her back.  He opened the door and closed it behind him as he walked out.  AJ set a couple of towels down on the patio chair and walked over to the edge.  Diving in by Eve’s feet he splashed her a little and popped up beside her.

 

“Did I get you?” He asked as he wrapped his arms around her back.

 

“A little.” She laughed.

 

“Sorry.” He apologized.

 

“No you’re not.” Eve said still laughing as she draped her arms over his shoulders.

 

“I’m glad you’re laughing again.” He said as his eyes drifted across her face.  She lightly smiled and before she could look down he took her attention with his lips. Her body felt good in his arms and against his body.  Slowly swimming her to the closes edge he gently pressed her up against the pool wall.  He hoped he wasn’t pushing her but he wanted her to feel good again, if only for a few seconds.

 

When their bodies let go of each other and their lips parted, he helped her put her bathing suit back on and then swam her over to the pool steps.  He wrapped one of the towels he brought outside around her and rubbed her arms gently.  She wrapped her arms around him, wrapping both him and her in her towel and laid her head against his chest.

 

They stood there holding each other for a little bit and then AJ walked them over to the long patio chair.  He laid a towel down over it and then lied down and motioned for her to join him.  She stretched out and let him wrap her in his arms, resting her head on his shoulder.  They’re legs tangled around each other. 

 

“AJ man your phone was ringing.” Kevin said as the back door opened and he came walking out.  Eve and AJ both jump.  “Oh, I’m sorry.” Kevin said looking at the two.

 

“It’s cool we were just layin back, what’s up?” AJ asked as he got up trying to blow the intrusion off walking over to Kevin at the door.

 

“I came to see if you wanted to come by for dinner but I can see you’re busy.”  Kevin said as he looked over AJ’s shoulder at Eve.  “So that’s her huh?” He whispered.

 

“Yes.” AJ said looking at him, telling him with his eyes not to start.  “She had a rough day yesterday so I brought her over here for some relaxation time. Ok?”

 

“Fine.” Kevin said raising his hands a little not wanting to get into anything.

 

“Besides it’s been almost a month.” AJ said.

 

“I didn’t say anything.” Kevin replied.

 

“Yeah but you want too.” AJ said quickly.

 

“Well I’ll tell Kris you had plans maybe another time.” Kevin told him as he reached for the door.

 

“Sure.” AJ nodded as Kevin walked back inside.  He shut the door and turned around walking back over too Eve on the chair.

 

“Did you get the third degree?” She asked as he sat down behind her.

 

“Nope, never gave him a chance too.” AJ said with a smile as he looked over her shoulder.

 

“Do you have to go?” She asked.

 

“No, he just wanted to invite me over for dinner but I told him I had plans.” AJ replied.  He gently brushed his lips across her shoulder and then kissed the arch of her neck.  “We should go inside it’s getting a little chilly.” He said as he locked eyes with her.

 

“Yeah, I’m getting a little cold.” She said as they both stood up.

 

“Are you hungry, I can try and make us something to eat?” AJ said as he closed the back door.

 

“Sure” She replied with a light laugh.  “I’m going to get dressed.”

 

AJ made them nachos and cheese and they spent the rest of the afternoon and evening on the couch watching movies.  Once in a while they would get distracted with one or the other initiating a make out sessions.

 

As they watched their third movie AJ was laying on Eve’s lap as she sat on the couch with her head resting on her hand, her elbow sitting on the back of the couch.  His eyes were closed as she gently brushed her fingers through his hair but he opened them when he asked her a question.

 

“Hey Evie?”

 

“Yeah?” She looked down at him.

 

“How come you never went with your Dad?” He asked.

 

“They couldn’t find him, changed his name or something, I’m not sure.” She shrugged. 

 

“Do you ever think about finding him?”

 

“Not really.” She replied as she looked down.  “He left his two kids with a drug addict drunk, how special can he be.”

 

AJ sat up so his eyes were level with hers.  He could see the tears forming in her them and his heart sank.  “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you.”

 

“I know and you didn’t it’s just…” She stopped taking a breath and he waited for her to answer.  “I haven’t told anyone about my Mom and Brother before, Ted never needed me to talk about it and everyone else just really didn’t care about my past.”  As he wiped a tear that rolled down her cheek she looked at him.  “I’ve never been this close with anyone before.  All those years of being told I was unwanted and unlovable kind of stuck with me.  I never thought I would meet someone who actually wanted to be with me, who thought I was good enough for their time, but…” She stopped and his eyes frowned in confusion.

 

“But what?” AJ asked as he rested his fingers under her chin and brought her eyes to his.

“How long do you think we’ll last?” She asked him.  “You’re a Backstreet Boy, it’s apart of who you are, Me, I’m a stripper, I’m not stupid AJ I know people are going to look at me like I’m using you as my next meal ticket.  What are your friends, your Mom going to say when they find out what I do?”

 

“They’ll be shocked, probably, yes some will fight me on it, but their going to have to get over it.” He said as she looked at him.  “They’re going to have to get over it cause I’m falling in love with you.”

 

“AJ” She whispered a little shocked as he leaned into her.

 

“Call me Alex.” He whispered back just before his lips pressed against hers. 

 

With one motion as he stood up from the couch he picked her up and carried her to the stairs.  Making sure he had his bearings as she brushed her lips down his neck and teased his ear lobe he started up the stairs and brought her into his bedroom.