- Text Size +
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                           Chapter Nine

 

 

The next morning AJ took Eve home before he went to rehearsals and surprised her that night by showing up at the club just before she came on.  He drove her home and spent the night and that’s how the last couple of weeks had gone.  If AJ had rehearsals then he would go to Eve’s afterwards if he was off he’d go watch her dance and then take her back to his place.  Every day they felt themselves getting closer to each other.  But the time came when they had to part for a little bit because AJ was going on tour. 

 

He was worried about her.  He knew she didn’t know what to expect when it came to him touring.  Could she handle the lonely nights, days, the not going out or staying in. Although things had gotten much better since the day he found out about her Brother and Mom, the signs of her little breakdown no long apparent.  She smiled, laughed and had fun like when he first met her.  She went back to work and started living like nothing else bothered her.   They’d talk every day and it made it a little easier that she didn’t get home from work till late, because well he always got home late into the night also.

 

“Look look, give him two more seconds and the bottom lip will drop.” Nick whispered to Brian who giggled.

 

“Huh?” AJ said looking up at the two men across from him.

 

“I was just telling Brian how pathetic you look.” Nick said sarcastically.

 

“You do you look a little out of it, everything ok?” Brian asked.

 

“I’m fine.” AJ said lightly shaking his head.

 

“He misses that chick.” Nick sighed.

 

“She has a name.” AJ said looking at him.

 

“I know and it’s the only thing I know.” Nick replied quickly.

 

“Kevin met her.” AJ said quickly as the eldest band mate walked into the room.

 

“Saw her, for all of a minute.” Kevin replied sitting down. “And didn’t say a damn word to her.”

 

“Well there you go.” Nick said sitting back.  He looked at his three friends sitting around him, the only one not there was Howie, the one to less likely freak out about Eve’s job.

            “Well she works weird hours.” AJ said with a shrug.

 

“Is that why she didn’t come with you because she had to work?” Kevin asked.

 

“Yeah, she couldn’t get the time off.” AJ said hoping that was enough to drop the subject.

 

“AJ, man.” Kevin said trying to get AJ’s attention back.  “Why so secretive about this one?”

 

“I’m not being secretive.” AJ scoffed.

 

“You are, have you taken her outside of your house or her house?” Kevin asked.

 

“Yes, lots of times.” AJ said quickly.

 

“Besides driving to and from your place, her place or work.” Kevin added as he rolled his eyes.  AJ didn’t say anything as he flipped through the songs on his play list.

 

“Well all be damn.” Brian said sitting back and it caused AJ to sigh and roll his eyes.

 

“What!?” He snapped looking at Brian across from him.

 

“Last week Leigh got a call from Sarah, Sarah spent most of the time bitching about you and she told Leigh something about a new girlfriend but I thought she was just spouting off like she did.” Brian said looking at AJ.  The tone in his voice and the look on his face was enough to raise AJ’s heart rate, and his stomach push into his throat.

 

“What did Sarah say?” Nick asked with a huge show of interest.

 

“She said you were with some new girl who worked at a dance club.” Brian said and AJ’s stomach rose a bit higher.

 

“Dance club.” Nick said thinking.  “You mean a stripper?” He said as his eyes almost popped out of his head. “You’re dating a stripper?”

 

“He has been spending a lot of time with that friend Mats.” Brian added.  “In fact Leigh asked where Sarah heard that and she told Leigh Mats told her.”

 

“I’m going to fucking kill him.” AJ thought as his grip around his phone tightened.

 

“AJ is that what she does?” Kevin asked.

 

“Yes, ok, alright! She’s a stripper.” AJ said as he sat up.

 

“AJ” Brian whined with a sigh.

 

“For fuck sakes it’s not like she’s an axe murderer. Fuck.” AJ snapped at Brian’s attitude.

“Then why hide it?” Brian snapped back.

 

“Because of this exact reason, what difference does it make, a job is a job.” AJ said frustrated.

 

“Well walking the st…” Brian started to speak.

 

“You won’t finish that sentence unless you want to see what this table looks like close up.” AJ snapped through his teeth.

 

            “Alright both of you back to your corners.” Kevin said standing up.

 

“So what you’re just going to allow this?” Brian yelled at Kevin.

 

“Allow this!?” AJ shouted.  “Since when do I have to run my girlfriends past you!”

 

“When you start dating hookers.” Brian scoffed.

 

“You lil prick!” AJ snapped as he lunged for Brian across from him but was stopped by Kevin and dragged out of the room.

 

“Go to your room and chill out.” Kevin said as the door closed behind them.

 

“Chill out, did you hear what he called her?” AJ yelled.

 

“I know and I’ll deal with him, you go chill out.” Kevin said motioning for him to go to his room.

 

“I knew this is what would happen that’s why I kept my mouth shut.”

 

“Well AJ what are we suppose to do? We know nothing about her and then when we find out something, we find out she’s a stripper.”

 

“Who the fuck cares?” AJ moaned.

 

“I don’t but others in your life do or will I’m sure your Mom doesn’t know either.” Kevin said eyeing him.  “I’m sure she’s a great girl but AJ you need to be careful, most girls don’t want to dance forever and are looking for a quick way out.”

 

“She’s not like that.” AJ snapped.

 

“AJ man come on.” Kevin sighed.

 

“She’s not.”

 

“Well we don’t know that, we don’t know her.” Kevin said as the door opened.

 

“Fine then I’ll bring her out here and you can all mock and throw stones at the village whore.” AJ snapped as he saw Brian walk out of the room.

 

“AJ” Kevin sighed as he watched him walk away.

 

AJ waved him off and dug in his pocket for his room keycard.  Unlocking his door he went inside and tossed his phone onto his bed.  He wanted to punch something but this wasn’t his place.  Sitting down on the bed he put his head in his hands and yelled out his frustration.  Running his fingers through his hair he looked over at the cell phone lying on the bed.  Picking it up he dialed a number and put it too his ear, waiting for the person to pick up.

 

“Hey dude, how are the ladies in South Carolina?” Mats asked not even saying hello.

 

“You fucking told Sarah about Eve?” AJ snapped into the phone.

 

“Whoa what?” Mats said.

 

“I just had an awesome talk with Brian because he said Sarah told him about Eve, about her being a stripper, and Sarah said she heard it from you.” AJ yelled.

 

“What’s the big deal dude it’s not like it’s anything permanent.” Mats said and AJ wanted to bust his phone right in his hand.  It wasn’t what he said that made him angry it was how he said it. 

 

“You’re so fucking lucky I’m on the other side of the fucking country.” AJ hissed into the phone.

 

“Seriously dude you need to chill out, you know anyone there? She’s just a dancer.” Mats said with a light laugh.

 

“FUCK YOU ASSHOLE!” AJ yelled into his cell and then threw it at the wall across from him and it shattered as it crashed to the floor.  He got up from the bed and grabbed his jacket off the chair.  Opening the door he took off into the hallway.

 

“What was that?” Kevin asked and he saw Brian, Nick and Kevin were still in the hallway.  “AJ what broke?”

 

“Fuck off, leave me alone.” AJ mumbled as he walked down the hallway to the stairwell, not wanting to wait there for the elevator.

 

He walked down the street of the city they were in, no bodyguard, no buddy, just him and for him that was a little dangerous.  But he didn’t care, he was pissed and he needed to get out and get a drink, a few drinks.

 

Finding a bar just a couple of blocks from the Hotel, he walked in and found himself a seat at the bar.  He asked for his usual Jack and Ice and waited to be served.  Tuning everything out he sat there staring at his glass.  AJ looked over his shoulder at the juke box when a familiar song came on.  The bartender put another glass in front of him and he lightly smiled.  Not to the bartender for serving him but at the song, her song. It brought the image of her dancing into his head but now other memories filled his mind. Memories of how she felt in his arms, how he felt when she kissed him and how she felt when they made love. 

 

When he finished his fifth glass of Jack and had a good buzz going, he got up and headed out of the bar.  It was now getting dark and the breeze was cool.  AJ walked back to the hotel.  He was glad the lobby was pretty much empty and decided to take the elevator up to his floor.  When the doors opened he peeked out and saw his hall empty.  With a sigh he stepped off and headed towards his room.

 

Making it to his door safely he unlocked it and headed inside.  A crunch under his foot made him look down and he saw a piece of his cell under his shoe.  He sighed remembering throwing it against the wall.  Taking off his jacket he tossed it on the back of the chair and began to pick up all the pieces.  Tossing them into the garbage, he sat down on the bed and picked up the hotel phone.

 

“Hello?” Her voice said into his ear and he smiled.

 

“Hey darling.” AJ said as he sat back against the head board.

 

“Hi.” She replied a little shocked he didn’t call from his cell.  “How are things going?”

 

“They’re ok.” AJ said in a solemn tone into the phone.

 

“Just ok?” She asked.  He paused for a minute and then took a deep breath.

 

“I was talking to the guys today and I guess Mats told Sarah about, about what you do. Sarah told Brian’s wife and she told Brian.” AJ told her.

 

“Oh.” Eve replied.

 

“After fighting with them over it, I got into a screaming match on the phone with Mats over it, now I’m just drained.” AJ told her as he rubbed his eyes.  There was silence on the other end and AJ knew why.  “They’ll get over it.” He told her.  “And I really don’t care what Mats thinks about it.”

 

“Why would Mats say anything to her in the first place?” Eve asked.

 

“No idea.” AJ said shaking his head.  “I miss you.” He sighed.

 

“I miss you too.” He was taken back by her words a little; he heard something in her tone.  It wasn’t rushed or it wasn’t in a cutesy tone. It was sincere and a little sad.

 

“Do you think Ted would give you some time off?” He asked.

 

“Ted will do anything not have me dance.” She snickered.

 

“Then let me fly you out here, I want to see you.” He asked.

 

“Alex” Eve lightly sighed.

 

“Eve” AJ lightly mocked.  He smiled when he heard a small laugh.

 

“Alright” Eve said as she finally gave into him.

 

“Sweet.” AJ lightly cheered.  “Are you going to be up for a bit?”

 

“Yeah, I just got in.” She said and he could tell she was smiling.

 

“Ok, then let me call you back when I have all your flight info.” He told her.

 

“Ok.” She replied. 

 

They said their goodbyes and AJ hung up the phone.  He stood up and started looking for his phone and then realized it was now in his garbage.  “Shit” He said as he threw his head back and whined.  All his numbers were in the phone.  AJ grabbed the phone book that the hotel provided and started looking for the airlines number.  He wrote down some numbers and then began make preparations for Eve to come out to see him.