- Text Size +

 

Chapter 19

            Dottie takes a deep breath and steps away from Nick. Before she can say anything, AJ says, "D, I think it's great you're willing to help us after all that happened. Jake worked for us for years before you did. It's all our fault all this shit landed at your feet and you ended up in prison for something you didn't do."

            Stepping over to AJ, Dottie says, "Listen, I stopped blaming you guys a long time ago, AJ.  For a long time, I thought it was your fault for not believing me, but we're past that now. What we have to do is focus on why Glenna would do this and whether or not Jake is still involved. I called Detective Peters. He's going to help us."

            Dottie turns to Brian and says, "Brian, I know this has to be hard on you. I'm sorry. But I think Jenn and I are going to need your help to stop Glenna.  Can you do that?"

            Looking into Amy's eyes, Brian garner's strength from her love.  Turning back to the group, he says, "Yes, I can. But first, all of you have to know just how bad it was with Glenna."

            By the end of his story, Jenn and Dottie are both in tears with Amy and AJ is doing his best to destroy everything in Nick's room.  Turning to Brian, he says, "Fuck it, Brian, why didn't you tell us what was going on? We'd have found a way to stop her!"

            Brian says, "AJ it wasn't the group's fault I made such a rotten decision. Once I was married to Glenna, it was my responsibility. So is this. She's targeting the group because she can't take anything else from me. It's all gone."

            Jenn's phone rings and she silences everyone.  Putting it on speaker phone, she says, "Hello again Detective Peters. Have you learned anything?"

            He says, "I have. Looks like Glenna has been a regular visitor for Johnson since his conviction. He has to be in on this too. We just need to figure out how."

            Dottie steps forward and says, "Detective Peters, can Glenna's bank records be searched? Or Jake's? I know his were supposed to be frozen and the money returned, at least what was left of it. But that hasn't happened yet. Do you know why?"

            He clears his throat and says, "Bureaucratic red tape. We did seize his accounts, but his attorneys filed a motion that they have to be paid first.  It's a lot of bullshit that comes down to they are trying to hide the money as long as possible. But, I found out more on Glenna thanks to the background check you ran."

            Nick slides his arms around Dottie's waist and presses a kiss into her neck. She lays her head against his cheek and says, "What did you find out, Detective?"

            He says, "To begin with, this isn't their first time doing this. We've been in touch with some of their other targets who are willing to help to see her put behind bars. Mr. Littrell was the first one she legally married so his case is going to be the focal point of our investigation. We have learned that the majority of the money stolen is relatively untouched.  It's been stored in bank accounts all over the country. That should make it easier to gain control of once we have her arrested."

            Brian says, "So that means I would get my money back?"

            Detective Peters says, "Yes, I believe so. I have a way to nail her, but the DA won't go for it. Not unless you guys go to bat for me."

            Jenn says, "What do you need?"

            Detective Peters says, "I think we can turn Jake and make him talk. In order to do that, we'd have to offer him a reduced sentence.  Considering who he's stolen from, his face has been everywhere in the news media. There's no way in hell he could do this again, but Glenna is a whole new kettle of fish. She's the mastermind and she's done this for years. We need to stop her."

            Nick says, "Why the fuck should he get out? Look what he did to Dottie! Shouldn't he be punished for everything she went through because of him?"

            Dottie turns to Nick and says, "Baby, please. Listen to me. What's done is done and it can't be undone. But it's over and I've moved on. With your help and everyone else's help, I've really moved on. Glenna needs to be stopped and if letting Jake out early does that, then we really don't have a choice."

            Nick takes her hand and looks into her eyes.  Without breaking eye contact with her, he says, "Detective Peters, please do what needs to be done. We'll do what has to be done on our end. Now, if all of you will excuse us, I think Dottie and I need to talk." With that, he takes her hand and pulls her from the room. This was really stupid because it was their room.

They end up on their bus to talk. Nick sits down and tugs her down beside him. Holding her hand gently, he says, "Dottie, I love you. There isn't a day that goes by I don't love you."

Smiling at him, she says, "Don't you think I know that Nick? Why do you think that it's ok with me if Jake gets out early? You love me and you know the truth. They guys know the truth. It's important that Glenna be stopped, not just because she was stealing from you guys, but Brian. Poor Brian. Look at all he's been through, Nick. He's been hurt far worse than I was. We have to stop her."

Nick smiles gently and says, "D, I knew what Brian had been through. He asked me not to tell anyone. I want to stop Glenna, I do. How do I choose between protecting you and helping Brian?"

Dottie places her small hand on the side of his face and says, "You don't have to choose Nick. You don't have to protect me. The only choice in front of us is to help Brian. As long as I know you love me, I'm not worried about Jake getting out. He can't hurt me anymore."

Nick leans in closer and places a gentle kiss on her lips. Keeping his face close to hers, he whispers, "Dottie I love you."

Smiling, she rubs her nose against his and whispers, "I love you too."

Before he can kiss her again, there's a knock on the bus door.  Nick turns, pulling her closer to his body as he yells, "Its open. Come in."

Brian and Amy step up on the bus and Brian says, "D, I'm sorry."

Looking up at him, she says, "Don't be, Brian. It's not your fault. Glenna targeted you. Just like Jake targeted me. We're gonna fix this, Brian. I won't let them get away with this."

Amy says, "That sounds like my old friend."

Dottie stands and hugs them both. She says, "Because of all of you, I feel like I'm the person I was before. All I want to do now is make Glenna pay for what she's done.  Did Detective Peters have any idea when this would all take place?"

Amy says, "No. He's worried the DA still won't go for it."

Dottie says, "Me too. They aren't going to want to let Jake out for anything. Which is why...I thought maybe I'd fly home and talk to Jake?"

All their mouths hit the floor. Nick shakes his head no and says, "Dottie, no, that's not necessary. We'll work it through the D.A. You don't have to do that."

She looks up into his eyes and says, "Nick, I think I do. I think Jake needs to be shaken up. Honestly, do you really think Glenna is working WITH him and him in prison? Why should she? As long as he's there, she gets all the money. I know Detective Peters thinks they are in on it together, but I don't. From what I've learned of Glenna, she doesn't seem to be the sharing type."

Brian looks at Dottie and says, "That's for damn sure. But if he's not in on it, why is she visiting him?"

A light bulb goes off in Amy's head. She says, "She's playing him to get to the money he stole from the group!"

Dottie smiles and says, "Exactly! Glenna's a user and once Jake knows he's being used, well he might just agree to help."

Nick looks at Dottie and says, "Well look at you, Ms. Private Eye."

She laughs and says, "Thank you very much, Nick. If I can get a flight out, I'll fly home tomorrow and see Detective Peters and see what we can do."

Nick's face falls. He says, "I don't think I can make it without you here, D."

Amy and Brian slip out as Dottie slides up next to Nick.  She says, "I don't want to be away from you either Nick. But we need to get on this before Glenna figures out we're on to her."

He sighs and says, "But we have plans in LA this weekend."

She says, "I know Baby.  I cleared your schedule and mine for it. I wouldn't miss it, I promise."

He kisses her deeply and says, "You better not. I have something special planned."

She sighs and lays against his chest, whispering, "Just being with you is special Nick. There's no place I'd rather be."

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please let us know! :)