- Text Size +

 

Chapter 39

            After dinner, and they did actually eat food, Nick takes Dottie's hand and leads her to the patio. Nick had slid his shorts back on and Dottie had put on his shirt, which came down to her thighs. He pulls her into his arms and lowers his head to hers. Their kisses are slow and tender, filled with love for each other.

            He nibbles on her shoulder and says, "Do you know how happy you've made me, D?"

            She says, "Nick, I've never known happiness like I've found with you. I know it sounds corny, but you are my everything. Your love saved my life, Nick."

            He pulls back and looks at her intently. He says, "What do you mean, D?"

            She takes his hand and pulls him inside. She sits him down on the sofa and curls up beside him. Holding his hand, she says, "Nick, when I was in prison, I honestly wanted to die. The only two things that stopped me were you and Amy. She stood by me through it all. Then, when they let me out, I couldn't figure out how to move on. That day...the day we met at the restaurant...I looked into your eyes and I fell in love with you all over again. Even though I thought you could never love me back."

            He cups her face in his hands and says, "Sweetheart, how could you possibly..."

            She puts her fingers over his lips and says, "Shh.  Nick, I was lost. I was angry and hurt and scared. As much as I wanted to be with you, I was afraid to let you or any of the other guys in. Hell, I was afraid to let Amy in. When they sent me to prison, I gave up all hope. I spent a year of my life alone and afraid. When I got out, I couldn't move on. Not until...not until you told me you love me. That was the first step."

            He pulls her into his arms and he cries. She holds him tightly and says, "Nick, when I went to Florida and confronted Jake, I let it all go. I went to your house and I just let it go. It felt good. It felt like I had come home."

            He pulls away and says, "That is your home. Our home. That will always be ours."

            She presses her forehead to his and whispers, "Nick, I want to talk to you. About our future."

            He sits back and pulls her against his chest. He says, "What about our future?"

            She sighs and plays with the drawstring on his shorts. She says, "Nick, I want to be your wife." Tilting her head back to look at him, she whispers, "I want to have your children."

            He looks at her, stunned, and says, "You...you want to have a baby?"

            She nods and says, "I don't mean right away.  Not if you aren't ready. But I was serious when I told you that all my dreams were dreams of you. I lost a year of my life with you. I can't get that back. But I can make the most of what lies ahead. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, Nick. I want us to be a family."

            He strokes her cheek and says, "Wow. A baby. I've never thought of...I mean, I never dreamed I would..."

            She sits up and says, "You...don't want to have kids?"

            He says, "I just never thought about it, D. Until you came along, I never thought I'd want to get married. Now that's all I think about. Having you as my wife."

            She pushes away the tears that are threatening to spill over and says, "I want that too Nick."

            He cups her face in his hands again and says, "Dottie, don't. Don't cry. Baby, I want it all with you. I just don't know if I'm ready."

            She searches his eyes and she's not sure what she sees. She says, "Nick, be honest with me. Do you want to have children?"

            His silence speaks volumes. She lowers her eyes and tries to figure out what to say. He hates himself for hurting her feelings. He says, "D, listen, I'm not saying ever. I just don't think I'm ready."

            She takes a deep breath and her eyes meet his again. She says, "I love you Nick. More than anything.  If you don't..." She takes a deep, breath before continuing, "if you don't want to, it's ok. I told you we have to have one hundred percent honesty between us. You are the most important thing in the world to me. I don't want to lose you."

            He strokes her cheek with his thumb and he says, "D, I swear to you someday we are going to have kids. I WANT that. You just surprised me, that's all."

            She strokes his cheek and says, "Nick, are you sure?"

            He leans closer and kisses her gently. When their lips part, he says, "Sweetheart, I want a life with you. I want a family. I swear it. After everything that's happened, I figured you'd want to wait. I never dreamed...D, I just want you to be happy."

            She crawls onto his lap and wraps her arms around his neck. Their lips meet in a tender kiss as he gently strokes her back. She moves her mouth to his ear and whispers, "I am happy Nick. YOU make me happy. I love you."

            He pushes her back on the couch and says, "Baby, I love you too. I have always loved you and I will always love you."

            After working each other into a frenzy on the couch, Nick lifts her up and guides her body down onto his. When he's buried deep inside her, he pulls her gaze to his and whispers, "We WILL have a baby...and she's going to look just like you. I love you Wife."

            She smiles and leans forward, pressing her breasts into his chest and whispers, "I love you more, Husband."

            In the aftermath of their climax, Nick holds her close and whispers, "When do you want to get married?"

            She giggles and says, "Is tomorrow too soon?"

            He smiles and kisses the top of her head and says, "Well, maybe. How about Monday?"

            She sits up and stares at him and says, "You're kidding."

            He says, "Kind of. I think there's a waiting period after the marriage license. We could get the marriage license Monday and then fly back on our next break and get married."

            She looks into his eyes and says, "Nick, you mean that, don't you?"

            He says, "Sweetheart, I tried every way in the book to get the marriage license without you, but no dice. I wanted to marry you this weekend. I want to tell the world you are my wife."

            She wraps her arms tightly around his neck and cries. She whispers, "Nick, I love you so much. I'll marry you anywhere, anytime."

            Smiling, he snuggles her as close to his body as he can and he says, "Soon, Baby. Soon you'll be mine forever."

            Kissing his neck, she whispers, "I already am."          

Chapter End Notes:

PLEASE let us know! :)