- Text Size +

Chapter 3

            We’re going to end up looking bad in this interview if we can’t get Nick on the same page with us. I mean, seriously, if he doesn’t like it, he doesn’t like it, but he can’t just go out and be mean about it. Our fans deserve better.  Why oh why did I have to end up being the “responsible one” after Kevin left?  I’d give anything for someone ELSE to have to convince him to just let this one ride.

            As the van pulls away, my phone rings.  Great, a reprieve from Nick. Until I hear what’s being said on the other end of the line. When I hang up, AJ says, “What’s up now, D? Leigh want to play a new game tonight?”

            I want to laugh when I see the look on Nick’s face, but I know what I have to tell them is going to piss him off royally.  I clear my throat and say, “Umm, no, that was our press agent.”

            Nick groans and says, “Now what? We’re going to do a dramatic reading of one of these twisted stories?”

            I shake my head and say, “Umm, no, the umm, the DJ’s at the radio station kind of want to do a contest.”

            Brian says, “Well that’s nothing new, they always do.”

            Howie says, “Well, this is different.”

            Nick realizes he’s not going to like what I have to say and he says, “How fucking different?”

            I clear my throat and say, “Well, apparently that have been advertising this contest for a week or two…our press agents ok’d it because we ALWAYS do the contests.”

            Brian says, “So? We don’t have a problem with that?”

            Nick glares at me and says, “What?”

            I say, “Well, they have 20 short stories submitted to the station. 5 stories about each of us. We get to read through them and each pick 1 winner.”

            Nick says, “The FUCK if I’m doing this shit.”

            Brian says, “What’s the prize, Howie?”

            I close my eyes and say, “The winners get to collaborate with us on the kind of story we want them to write. They write it and we’re going to have it printed and sign the copies for them. Plus, the usual concert tickets and all that stuff.”

            AJ says, “Oh this will ROCK! I can’t wait to give my input on this!”

            Nick says, “No. I’m not doing it, I won’t do it. Forget it!”

            Brian pipes in and says, “Nick, listen. We’ve all done stuff we didn’t like. Hell, look at me? Look at all the stupid things I do on the cruise. The fans love it.”

            He shrugs and says, “Whatever. I just don’t think I can do this guys. Really.”

            I sigh and say, “Listen, we’re going to get the stories before we get there to read them. Just…please keep an open mind Nick. I swear if you can get through this, we’ll never do anything concerning fan fiction again, ok?  Please?”

            He shrugs and says, “Whatever.”

 

            Half an hour later we’re sitting at a table in the conference room at the radio station. An intern comes in and says, “We thought we’d give you a chance to read the stories. Attached to each is a bio about the author. Enjoy, some of them are…umm…graphic.”

            After he leaves, AJ says, “Graphic, huh?  Oh BOY!”

            I look at him and say, “Can it AJ. Let’s just read ok?”

            Nick looks at me and says, “D, can I talk to you?”

            He and I walk away from the table out of earshot and he says, “Can you help me out here? I really don’t want to do this.”

            I say, “What do you want me to do Nick?”

            He says, “Tell them I’m sick…anything. Just don’t make me go out there and lie about this.”

            I sigh and say, “Come on, let’s read your stories first. Better yet, read the bios. Find out WHY they write. Please?”

            I watch him as he settles back to read. Brian catches my eye and I just shrug. I don’t know if he’ll give in or not. Now I’m wondering if we should make him. He’s really bothered by this and we’re not paying much attention to his feelings.

 

            After reading all our entries, I pick my winner. It was super easy, she had me role playing Zorro. Gotta love it. I sit back and look at Nick. When he sees me, he says, “What?”

            I say, “Nick, listen. I know we’ve been pushing you…and that’s wrong. If you really…if you hate it that much, go back to the hotel. I’ll tell them you have a stomach virus or something.”

            He says, “Well…I’m still not happy about it, but I can see where you’re coming from.”

            Brian says, “Do you like any of the stories you have there?”

            He smirks and says, “Well, in a couple of them I’m actually normal. But that’s not what caught my eye.”

            I say, “What Nick?”

            He says, “The bios. I guess I can see where you guys are coming from.”

            I say, “So, what do you want to do Nick?”