- Text Size +

Chapter 4

“I think I’m going to finish reading the bios and maybe attempt to read them.” Nick said unsurely.

“I’m glad you decided to man up.” I gave him a cheeky grin and ran back to my seat to finish reading my stories. I was stuck between two different stories.

All of us started watching Nick as he was reading. It was comical. Nick’s tongue was sticking out and he kept running his fingers through his hair. By the time he was finished he was going to start balding like me.

AJ gave me a look and I fell off my chair. Nick looked up and gave us a dirty look. I guess we were messing with his concentration.

Howie walked looking very serious.  It was the I’m the oldest and in charge look. Apparently he learned it from Kevin. I hoped that I never got the old man I need to eat prunes to go the bathroom look. It was so not me. Ha ha ha!

“Guys, does everyone have their winner picked out?”

“Oh, yes. I’m such a freak in the story I chose. It’s so me or at least the me the ladies think I am in the bedroom.” AJ wiggled his eyes.

“Can’t you just let them know you’re a missionary sex loving freak?” Nick remarked as he continued to read.

“And ruin my reputation. Puhhhlease!” AJ said dramatically.

“His nickname is Bone for a reason.” I jumped in AJ’s lap.

“Get the fuck off me. You wonder why they think we’re gay.” He pushed me off of him.

“Oh, AJ you are sooo hot….I love those sexy brown eyes.”

“Seriously guys. The interview is in like ten minutes. We need to have our choices picked.” Howie pinched the bridge of his nose. He was like a hybrid of Latin Lover and Anal Retentive Kevin.

“I have my winner picked.” I grabbed the story I chose and went to bother Nick. “Did you find a story that met your high standards?”

“Actually I found a story I liked, but I can’t find the bio to go with it.” He looked a little let down about it.

“So, what is this story about?” I tried glancing at the paper, but he hid it from me. I thought I was his best friend.

“It’s called Just A Man. It talks about how Nick Carter is just a regular man. You know he burps, farts, takes out the garbage. It’s like this girl understands that I’m normal.”

“That’s why they call it fiction.” I laughed at my own joke.

“Come on Nick. If there’s no bio, you need to choose another story.” Howie was starting to get pissed. I hoped his twitch didn’t come back. He could claim that it was a wink, but I knew that was a twitch caused by the youngest members of BSB.

“But I like this story.” He started to whine. Musically we were growing leaps and bounds. Personally, I think we were starting to regress back to our teen years. “There was no mention of Thor or that I said something stupid. It was funny and I wasn’t horny or stoned. It’s like the writer totally got me. She made me forget that the story was written about me by a fan.”

“It sounds great.” AJ said as he gave me a look over his sunglasses. If he wasn’t careful the secret would be out. I didn’t want that to happen.

“Just pick one, Nick.” Howie started walking towards the door.

“Fine. I choose the one written by the lady who wants to become a writer and is working two jobs. I loved her bio. She sounds nice.”

We made our way to the interview. All the DJ’s had smirks on their faces. I glanced at Nick; his face was a combination of horror and embarrassment.  Myself, I was slightly amused. I’ve done so much silly crap over the years during interviews that I was never self-conscious.

The interview was rather boring. I was waiting for them to talk about the contest. Nick was squirming in his seat. He was nervous. 

“Okay, so now for my favorite question.” Big Jimbo laughed. “From doing our research, we found that you guys have a cult following of loyal fans that write stories about you.”

“I was surprised at how many almost pornographic stories we found on you guys. These women have some raunchy ideas. So, what do you guys think about this?” The other DJ asked.

“Well, it’s not just pornographic fantasies. There are a bunch of stories about murders, zombies, among those visuals.” Howie mentioned diplomatically.

“Personally I love what I’ve read.” I said with a smile, not that the fans could see it.

“I have to admit. I’ve been reading fan fiction for years. It’s like a guilty pleasure.”

“What about you Nick?” Jimbo asked.

“Umm…well…I give these girls mad props. They really put their heart and souls into the stories they write.”

I was proud of Nick. He didn’t diss the fans or their stories.

“Well it’s time to announce the winners of the 93.7 Flash BSB fan fiction contest. Congrats to the following writers Mary Elizabeth Sinclair, Joelle Adams,  Anastasia Evans, and Marlinda Michaels. Congrats girls. We’ll be talking to our winners after the break.

The rest of the interview was successful. We got back into the van and headed toward the venue.  Howie was on his phone. Surprise, surprise. Nick was busy reading. What could it be? Nah, it wasn’t.

“What you got there, Nicky?” AJ grabbed the paper out of his hand.

“Give it back.”

“Our little Nick is reading a fan fic. Who would have thunk it?” AJ started reading it. “Just A Man. Sounds interesting.”

“Hey isn’t that the story you two were writing last night?” Howie asked from the front.

“Excuse me.” Nick gave us both a dirty look.

“Oh, yeah. Brian and I wanted to show you that fan fiction was cool.” AJ explained.

“Yeah, we listened to your complaints and wrote a story that had nothing you hated in it.”

“You, fuckers. I can’t believe you wrote this shit. It’s actually pretty good.” Nick started to laugh.

“Well, that’s because AJ has written a few.” I spilled the beans.

“Really?” Nick looked at AJ like he had three heads.

“What?” AJ didn’t see what the big deal was. “It’s a creative outlet. It’s not like I post them online. Well at least not under my name.”

The four of us had a good laugh all the way to the venue.