- Text Size +

 Crawling Back To You

 

5 Years Ago

 

            I was sitting in my doctor’s office waiting to hear the news about why I wasn’t feeling to well these last two months, I had an idea but wanted him to prove me wrong. He walks in and sits behind his desk looking up at me folding his hands on his desk over my file, “Alaina I’ve known you your whole life and I know that this news will change your life forever.”

            “What is it doctor?” I ask nervously playing with my hands knowing that my thoughts had been confirmed just by that sentence.

            “You’re two months pregnant.” He says getting up to hug me as I start to cry in shock, “I’m sure Nick will help you Alaina, he really loves you.” He says rubbing my back in circles as he always has done since I was a child when I’m upset.

            I nod pulling away wiping my face of tears, “Thanks doc.” I walk out slowly driving home thinking about how I was going to tell Nick and not scare him away.  After I get home I walk up to my room lying on my bed thinking about what to do when I decide to call him to see if he could meet me then I’d just tell him hoping for the best.  I pick up my phone and dial my boyfriend Nick Carter’s cell phone number.

            “Hello?” He answers and I hear a ton of screaming around him and the rest of the guys talking.  Then I knew he didn’t check the caller ID like he always does when he’s not busy because of fans prank calling him.

            “Hey baby. I need to see you. Are you busy?” I ask curiously trying to stay calm not wanting him to know something was wrong just yet.

            “For you never baby. Meet you down at the beach in front of our rock in 10 minutes okay?” He suggests when it gets quieter around him.

            “Alright see you soon.” I hang up going over in my head how I was going to explain to him how I felt. I got down to the beach and sat on the rock waiting for him to show up.

            “Hey baby.” Nick Carter then 20 says hugging me then looked down at me his 17 year old girlfriend with a big smile then frowned not seeing a smile on my face, “What’s wrong babe?”

            I sit down on the rock we were standing in front of and look up at him with tear filled eyes before looking down again and playing with my hands, “Nick…I’m um… I’m 2 months pregnant.” I whisper nervously.

            “WHAT NO! WE USED PROTECTION YOU CAN’T BE!” He yells in shock, then starts pacing, “Oh god how am I going to tell my parents, let alone the band, I’m going to have to quit the band.” He says pacing in front of me thinking about everything pulling his hair shaking his head still in shock.

            “Nick you won’t have to do any of that stuff.  I’m leaving; I’m going to live with my aunt in England for awhile. Just forget about me Nick, we knew it wasn’t going to last anyways.” I lie knowing it would help him move on with his life and kiss him softly before running away crying and out of his life.

 

Present Day

 

            “Mommy!” Genesis, my 4 year old daughter hollers running into the apartment loudly stumbling anxiously waving something at me.

            “What munchkin?” I ask catching her in a hug happily as I come out of the kitchen where I was making lunch for her.

            “Can we go please?” She shoves a paper in my face and right off the bat I see an article, ‘BSB at Fairview Mall’, “Please mommy.” She begs pouting jumping up and down.

            “Alright babe we’ll go.” I say shaking my head nervously yet figuring Nick wouldn’t remember me since he was now with Paris Hilton, someone that no one forgets.

            She squeals running to her room grabbing her big BSB poster off the door being careful to not rip the corners, “Ok mommy I’m ready let’s go.”

            We drive to the mall to see a ton of girls lined up out the door; we got in line me holding her hand the entire time we were standing outside.

            Finally 3 hours later we were a few people away from standing face to face with the boys.  “Mommy we’re so close.” Genesis says quietly nervously waiting to meet the boys, she was their number one fan. 

            I kneel down smiling “Yes we are baby.  You better unroll your poster so they can sign it.”  I look up and see Nick signal to a bodyguard and say something before the bodyguard walks up to us smiling.

            “You are the last two for autographs.” He then turns to the people behind us and speaks loudly so they can all hear him, “I’m sorry but the boys only have time for a few more autographs today.” Everyone groans not to happy, “But since there is so many of you still here they promise to be back bright and early tomorrow to do another signing.” The crowd screams excitedly.

            Finally it was our turn and Genesis sets her poster in front of Kevin smiling, “Hi Kevin!  I am Genesis Indiana Jane Cross and I am one of you guys biggest fans.”

            “Well thank you Genesis Indiana Jane Cross.  And who’s this lovely person beside you?” AJ says from beside Kevin smiling and everyone laughs, “Yes I know I’m a flirt.” He says rolling his eyes.

            “My mommy.” She smiles at Nick, “She’s single you know.”

            “Genesis!” I say not believing she said that blushing, “Sorry about her she’s a little chatter box.”  I say messing up her hair smiling as she giggles.

            “She’s a cute little chatter box though. So what really is your name or am I going to have to call you mommy too?” Nick asks smiling at me.

            “It’s Alaina.” I say smiling hoping none of them would remember me and I didn’t see any recognition run into their eyes when I said my name.  I then see Leigh holding Baylee, Kristen, Lee, Sarah and Paris heading over smiling and they were all laughing besides for Paris who was rolling her eyes with her arms crossed over her chest. 

            “What’s so funny?” Kevin says getting up hugging Kristen then pulling away scrunching his face, “Why are you wet?” He asks with one eyebrow raised.

            “Cause she wanted to go for a little swim in the fountain.” Leigh says laughing again then notices me stopping her laughter blushing, “Oh I thought they were done with the fans sorry.”

            “It’s ok; well thank you guys, you just made a little girls dream.” I say grabbing the poster rolling it up.

            “Bye Genesis Indiana Jane Cross.” Kevin says leaning down hugging her sideways as to not get her wet and she got hugs from everyone else as well which made her extra happy. 

            We start walking out of the store when I feel someone tap my shoulder so I turn around and it was Nick who was looking at me closely, “Yes Nick?”

            “Do I know you from somewhere?” He asks with one eyebrow raised looking at me curiously.

            “I don’t think so Nick.”  I start to walk away then notice that Genesis was talking to Jane Carter who was smiling then she looks up and I could see recognition flash through her eyes ‘Shiat!’ I think, “Come on G.I Jane we better be going.”

            “But mommy I wanna stay.” She says pouting.

            I pick her up into my arms, “Baby we got your autograph now it’s time that they go rest back at the hotel and we go home.”  I start walking out of the store and Jane smiled at me before we left.

            “Now that was a cute kid.” Nick says climbing into the van beside Paris who looked bored out of her mind.

            “Whose mother was taking too much of your attention.” Paris mutters but everyone ignores her used to her bitching about the fans.

            “Of course she was Nick, she was yours after all.” Jane said smiling at his shocked face. “Why didn’t you tell me I was a grandmother?” She asks lightly hitting him over the head, as everyone else looks on in shock not knowing about it.

            “WHAT!” Paris says looking at Nick in shock, “When were you going to tell me that you had a damn child?”

            “I didn’t think it’d be necessary, my god that was Alaina. My Alaina.” He says smiling dreamily finally clicking from the smile on my face when I saw him again.

            “YOUR ALAINA!” Paris screeches staring at him in shock. “I’m your fucking girlfriend Nickolas Gene Carter! And it would have been nice of you to at least mention you had a child!”

            “Paris all you do is yell at me if I do something wrong, even when I’m supposed to be with fans you get pissed.  I’ve been fighting myself for the last few days trying to figure out when and how to say this but you know what…IT’S OVER!” He yells then jumps out of the van heading into the hotel. “And be gone by tonight!” He yells before the doors close.

            Everyone follows him and walks up to Kevin’s room where Nick was waiting pacing the hall. “Nick man chill out.” Kevin says opening his door and everyone walks in still in shock.

            “Mom how did you know?” Nick asks sitting on the couch putting his hands in his hair, “You know when Alaina and I were together we used to talk about what we would name our kids and Genesis Jane was the name we wanted for our first girl.” He continues softly smiling not waiting for Jane to answer his question.

            “God the baby of the group has a baby. That’s amazing; I guess you and Alaina are destined to be together after all huh.” Brian says patting Nick on the shoulder before sitting down beside him, “She did look good though man. Alaina has turned out to be a gorgeous women and by the looks of it an amazing mother. Genesis was even trying to set you up with Alaina, now that’s dedication.” Everyone nods agreeing with Brian then they all sit around reminiscing about the old times when I was around.

 

The Next Week

 

            “Alaina I’m sorry but we have to let you go.  We need someone for this job who can be here on a whim and you have Genesis to think about so you can’t be here anytime I need you.” My boss Andrew McGee says frowning.

            “WHAT!” I explode standing up off the chair which topples over leaning on the desk pissed, “I’ve been working here since she was born Andrew and all the sudden you have to fire me. You knew that I couldn’t work during the night because I had her.” I argue not understanding this at all.

            “I’m sorry Alaina it’s just the way it has to be now.” He says standing up opening his door signaling the end of the meeting.

            I go to my desk and pack up everything before walking out to my car and sitting in my car bawling not believing this had to happen to me now then I remember I had to get Genesis to the doctors so I start the car and drive to her school and pick her up then drive into town to our doctors office while listening to her talk about the lively day in Junior Kindergarten.

            After she gets checked out the doctor asks to speak to me in his office so his nurse stays out in the waiting room playing with Genesis. “Alaina the brain tumour has grown. If she doesn’t get the surgery soon it could damage her whole body and mentally handicap her.”

            I nod needing out of there, I needed help of the one man I didn’t think would be willing to help. I had heard that the boys were in town still filming a video so I just had to call Jane up and ask her where it was.  We talked and scheduled Genesis in for surgery the next week and even talked about the money situation because he knew who her father was and that he was in town.

            We get into the car and I drive home quietly and when we get home I put Genesis down for a nap as usual then I sit on my balcony with the phone. “You need to phone her Alaina. You need all the help you can get.” I whisper taking a deep breath and start dialling her cell number knowing she hadn’t changed it since I had called it a lot of times during the last couple years but whenever she answered I’d chicken out and hang up.

            “Hello?” I hear Jane’s sweet voice answer and I can hear everyone else in the background talking. “Hello?” She asks again and I hear “who is it mom?”

            “Jane its Alaina.” I say slowly trying to not cry at the sound of Nick‘s voice in the background knowing he was going to hate me.

            “Alaina!” She says in shock and I hear the whole room go quiet. “Honey what’s wrong?” She asks concerned, “mom what’s going on?” I hear Nick ask curiously again.

            “I need help Jane.” I say now letting the tears fall.

            “Help with what honey?” She asks concerned.

            “Can you come over?”

            “What’s your address sweetie?” I tell her my address and hang up knowing that the rest of the gang was going to show up with her as well.

            I move inside and sit on the couch trying to calm down as I wait the twenty minutes until there was a knock on my door. I answer it and see everyone so I start to cry again, “I’m sorry.” I say looking at Nick before he crushes me against his chest running his fingers into my hair.

            “What’s wrong sweetie?” He asks softly trying to calm me down.

            “It’s Genesis.” I say walking into the apartment and sitting on the couch as they all sit around the room waiting for me to continue, “She’s sick Nick and I can’t afford to help her get better.” I say playing with my hands not looking at anyone.

            “How sick? She seemed fine last week.” Kevin asks touching my hands lightly as he sits on the edge of the coffee table in front of me acting like the big brother he always was to me when I was with Nick before.

            “She has a…a…a brain tumour.” I say trying to calm down and everyone gasps in surprise. “It’s gotten worse and if she doesn’t have the surgery soon she could end up mentally handicapped and it will be my fault.” I say crying again miserable, “I just lost my job this morning then I got told this at her appointment today. I have no way to pay for it but she needs it, I can’t just not let her have the surgery because I can’t afford it.”

            “Where is she?” Nick asks pulling me into his arms trying to calm me down again since he always hated when I was upset.

            “She’s in her room having her nap. She has a nap every day after school.”

            “My god she’s already in school?” He asks in surprise not expecting that.

            “Yup but don’t worry I taped her first day of school. I taped everything, her first word which happened to be backstreet by the way, and her first step again which happened to be during a backstreet song. She’s a major fan of you guys, her room is a mad house of backstreet boy stuff.” Everyone chuckles, “I even had the song ‘I need you tonight’ playing in the delivery room for 18 hours straight, and while I was pregnant that’s all I would listen to, all your CDs.”

            “Aw you missed us that much?” AJ says pretending to wipe a tear off his face. “We missed you to girly and now we have another little one to help take care of.”

            We sit and talk about everything that has happened during the last few years of our lives and I showed them the videos of Genesis which they were all happy to see.  Genesis woke up about an hour after the guys arrived and Nick played games with her, she even beat him at Mario Cart, he was quite impressed.  Around 8pm I put her back into bed for the night after the guys sang her one of their songs as she requested.

            “MOMMY!” Genesis yells from her room around 1am so I jump up and run down the hall frantically since she had never woken up in the middle of the night before.

            “Wow now that’s a devoted mom, willing to drop everything and go tend to her daughter.” Howie says smiling, “She needs us, I think it’s time we help her out and pay for the surgery.”

            “Guys I hate to say this but I think you all might have to continue the tour without me.” Nick says knowing that he needed to be with Genesis and me right now and everyone nods understandingly knowing that he needed to be here more then anything.

            I walk into the room a few minutes later holding Genesis against me in her BSB pyjamas she was crying loudly holding her head, “Nick can you take her.” He gets up coming over and taking her from me and she wraps her arms around his neck crying.

            “Daddy it hurts.” She says in pain and I look up at Nick to see him trying to hold back tears then I look around and see everyone smiling watching the scene also trying not to cry seeing her in so much pain.

            “It’ll be ok baby.” He whispers sitting on the couch with her in his lap playing with her hair like he always did with me as I go and get the thermometer.

            “Open up honey.” I say sitting beside them on the couch and she sticks the thing under her tongue laying her head on Nick’s chest, “I would go get the camera for a picture but I don’t really think she’s up to it right now.” I say smiling softly at Nick.

            “She called me daddy.” He says still in shock.

            “Yes I told her, she always hoped that you were her daddy so I guess I made it come true.” I say pulling the thermometer out of her mouth, “Damn she’s running a fever, I better go call the doctors.” I say going into the kitchen again calling the doctor then running back out into the living room 5 minutes later. I grab her boots and coat walking over to her and slowly putting her jacket on, “We need to get her to the hospital now, they found another tumour in the scan that she had yesterday.” I say trying not to jiggle her head to much so she doesn’t feel more pain.

            We all leave and Jane wraps her arm around me as Nick carries Genesis holding her head still on his shoulder singing ‘I need you tonight’ softly into her ear, “We’ll take the big van so we can all fit. Alaina you sit in the back with Nick and Genesis, I’ll drive.” She says getting in the drivers seat then we all climb in quickly before she drives off to the hospital being careful of the bumps and pot holes as much as she can.

            I run into the hospital in front of everyone else and see the doctor, “Dr. Antoine!” I say touching his arm trying to calm down. He calls for a stretcher and Nick lays Genesis on it before they wheel her away running down the hall into the operating room, “What’s going on? Where are you taking my baby?” I ask frantically trying to follow them but Dr. Antoine holds me back.

            “Alaina she needs emergency surgery. We found a smaller tumour close to the large one and if we don’t take it out and they merge into one it could be fatal.” He says sitting me down in the private waiting room, “I will make sure you are kept up to date on everything that is going on with her alright. Now you just need to calm down for me.”

            I nod trying to breath slowly calming myself down, Nick sits beside me and I crawl into his lap as we cry together needing each others support right now.

            After 6 hours I started to pace back and forth nervous and scared because we hadn’t heard anything from the doctors or anyone concerning her. “Why haven’t we heard anything? God damn I need to hear if she’s ok.” I mumble still pacing.

            “Alaina come sit down honey.” Leigh says standing up and pulling me over to a seat then making me sit down as I rock back and forth on the chair. “She’ll be ok Alaina. She has half Carter and half Cross in her, she’s a fighter.” She says trying to get me to smile and it worked, I smiled a little at her.

            “Your right, she’s a fighter.” I look up seeing the doctor walk out of the operating room, “How is she?” I ask standing up holding Nick and Leigh’s hands in mine.

            “She will be fine when she wakes up.” He says walking over resting his hands on my shoulders, “You need to relax for me Alaina.”

            “What do you mean WHEN she wakes up?” I say scared looking up at him trying not to cry again since that was all I’ve been doing.

            “She’s in a drug induced coma Alaina. As far as I’m concerned that is the best thing for her right now. She needs to get over this pain before she wakes up because I know that it freaks you out when she’s in pain and you can’t do anything about it.”

            I blush knowing he was right, “How long could this last?”

            “Anywhere from hours, to years.” He says touching my shoulders, “She has a big private room so you all can visit at once, there is also another bed for anyone of you who would like to stay the night with her.”

            “When can we see her?” Kevin asks the question he knew I wanted the answer to but was to in shock to ask it.

            “I’ll come back in a few minutes, we are just situating her up in her room with all the machines then we will send you all up.” He says squeezing my shoulders again before walking away.

            I look at everyone, “Thank you all for being here.”

            “She’s part of this family; of course we are going to be here.” Howie says hugging me tightly, “She’s going to be ok Alaina.” I nod into his chest sighing happy that everyone was there.

            “What about your video?” I ask pulling away looking at all of them.

            “We can postpone it to whenever we want. Don’t worry so much about us worry about our daughter.” Nick says smiling at me, “God I still can’t believe she called me daddy.” He says smiling even bigger.

            “Yeah no kidding. Who would have thought the baby of the gang would have a baby to take care of.” Kevin says messing up Nick’s hair before pulling him in for a brotherly hug.

            A few minutes later a nurse walked in and showed us to where Genesis was, “Oh my goodness she’s still got her hair.” I say walking over surprised that they didn’t cut it all off. I lean over and kiss her cheek lightly holding her hand, “Come on baby you need to fight this and wake up for mommy.” I say trying not to cry.

            The guys all left that night to go talk to management realizing that they were needed here with me right now more then touring and working. Nick was the only one to stay and he sat in a chair while I took the bed beside Genesis even though I didn’t sleep a lot that night because I hated hospitals.  Half way through the night I woke up feeling Nick’s arms around me and I snuggled deeper into him realizing that I had woken up earlier that night crying for him to hold me and he did.

 

Two Months Later

 

            I was laying in the other bed watching Genesis carefully, everyone had gone home, I had sent Nick as well since it was Howie’s birthday I figured I’d let them drag him away for a night to have some sort of fun. 

It was around midnight when I was jerked awake by the loud sound of a constant beep then nurses and doctors all ran in.  One of the nurses Sandra walked over and pulled me out of the room quickly shutting the door.  I run down the hall to the nurse’s station and pick up the phone dialling Howie’s number knowing everyone was over there for the night and most likely still up.

At Howie’s Toronto condo everyone was watching a movie of the old BSB when they first started laughing about how stupid they looked commenting on what they had been made to wear and do all those years ago.

“Lee can you get that baby?” He asks his fiancée who was just coming out of the bathroom close to the phone when it started to ring.

“Hello?” She asks throwing a piece of popcorn at Howie laughing when it got stuck in his ponytail and everyone bursts out laughing as he tries to get it out.

“Lee Lee it’s me.” I say softly whispering into the phone trying not to freak out on the phone hearing them having fun when I’m hurting.

“Hey girl. How’s Gene?” Everyone looks over curiously, “Alaina calm down what’s going on?”

“She’s gone!” I scream falling onto my knees still holding the phone, “Lee she’s gone! My baby is gone!”

“OH MY GOD! We’ll be right there honey.” She hangs up on the verge of tears.

“Lee what’s going on?” Nick asks running over scared grabbing her arms nervously.

“Gene’s gone Nick.” She says hugging him as he collapse’s to the ground crying, “We have to go see Alaina, she’s messed up.”

Everyone gets up throwing on their shoes and jackets getting into cars then racing to the hospital.  After they park they all run in and get into 3 separate elevators since there was the gang, girls, and parents of everyone of the guys plus my parents.

“ALAINA!” Nick yells seeing me on the floor rocking back and forth pulling on my hair.  “Shhh baby calm down.” He says falling to his knees beside me rocking back and forth with me holding my hands away from my hair letting me squeeze his hands as hard as I could.

Dr. Antoine walks out of Genesis’s room and over, “Good you’re here Nick.”

“Is she dead?” He asks quietly looking up from my head with tears running down his face slowly as everyone stands around us nervously crying and holding each other.

“No Nick. Genesis is alive and well as a matter of fact she’s awake.”

“WHAT!” Everyone screams in shock.

            “Yes, she must have been having a really hard time waking up because her heart went frantic on her.”

            I stand up still crying really drained from not sleeping well or eating, “Alaina have you eaten?” Nick asks looking at me curiously noticing how out of it I was acting.

            “Yes this morning I had a piece of toast.” I say knowing everyone was not going to be happy with that answer.

            “One lousy piece of toast?” I nod looking away from everyone, “Alaina you need to eat something more then that.” Dr. Antoine grabs my hand and pulls me down the hall and everyone follows, “Stand on it.” He says showing me a scale. 

I shake my head no not wanting to, “I’m perfectly fine.”

“I’m your doctor now stand on it Alaina.” He says lightly pushing me over to it as everyone watches. I step on it crying not wanting to know that I was less then 100 pounds now. He plays with the things on the scale, “Alaina you have lost a total of 25 pounds since Genesis has been here.” He says in surprise, “You weigh 85 pounds Alaina…that isn’t healthy at all.”

I look down at my feet then up at everyone who were still looking on in shock “I’m perfectly fine ok.” I jump off the scale running down the hall and into Genesis’s room “hey big girl!” I squeal quietly running over and hugging her gently as she hugs me back as tight as she could.

“MOMMY!” She squeals, “Where’s daddy?”

“Right here baby girl.” He says from behind me and comes up beside me and she lets me go to hug and kiss him, “How’s my girl feeling?”

“Better…I had a long dream about you and mommy getting married, and I was there in a pink dress throwing flowers everywhere.” She says happily.

Everyone smiles happy to see her in not any pain, “Hey doc when can she go home?” I ask seeing him walk into the room

“By tomorrow night if all looks well.  I will be back in half an hour to take her down to get some XRAYS and a CT SCAN done.” He says leaving again.

“Did you hear that baby, you’re going to be going home soon.” I kiss her forehead getting light headed a bit as I stand back up laying my hands on the side of her bed pretending I was just doing that to see her more and touch her hand.  “I’ll be right back okay honey I need to go use the bathroom.” I say kissing her again slowly walking out of the room looking for Dr. Antoine.

“Alaina what’s wrong?” He asks touching my shoulder right as I collapse into him, “Nurse get me a stretcher now!” He hollers down the hall holding me up into his arms laying me on the stretcher then taking me into an examination room.

Nick was laying with Genesis on her bed holding her as everyone sat around telling her funny stories about touring as Dr. Antoine walks in looking grim, “Nick can I talk to you out in the hall?”

He nods slowly getting up walking out, “What’s up? Is this about Genesis going home tomorrow?”

“No this isn’t about Genesis, this is about Alaina. I ran into her in the hall a few minutes ago and she collapsed in my arms Nick.  She is now down the hall, she’s got a feeding tube down her nose into her throat, and she has been fighting with us to get it taken out.  She also wants to be with Genesis so do you think it would be a good idea to move her in with Genesis?”

“Oh wow! Yes lets move her in here I’ll make sure she doesn’t pull the tube out.” They shake hands and Nick walks back in, “Hey Brian get off the bed.”

“Why?” He says standing up with Leigh and a sleeping Baylee.

“Alaina’s being wheeled in here.” He says right before I was wheeled in sitting in a wheelchair with an IV thing behind me and a tube up my nose, “Hey baby.”

“Don’t Nick.” I say getting out of the chair lying on the bed turning away from them all miserable.

“Baby this is for your own good.” He says walking over and laying with me, Genesis had long since fallen asleep so she didn’t see me being wheeled in.

“I’m fine!” I holler grabbing the tube trying to pull it out but Nick was quicker and grabbed my hands unravelling them from the tube. I start to sob hard into his shoulder and turn around laying my head in his chest gripping his shirt between my hands, “Take it out Nick I’m fine!”

“Alaina you need to keep it in alright.” He says lightly kissing my forehead, “This is the only way we are going to get food into you so it’s staying in.”

“I hate you!” I say trying to roll away but he wouldn’t let me keeping me against his side and my head on his chest.

“I just want you healthy and the way you are isn’t healthy.  I know you were worried about Gene but it doesn’t mean you have to starve yourself.”

 “It makes me feel her pain.” I say weakly into his chest knowing it was a lame excuse as soon as I said it.

“She’s not in pain no more baby so now it’s time for you to get healthy for her.”

“God why do you always have to be right!” I say frustrated.

He pulls my face up to look him in the eyes, “You’ll be fine alright baby.”

I nod as the IV starts to beep and Dr. Antoine walks in, “FINALLY!” I scream trying to get Nick to let go of my hands so I could pull the tube out.

“Alaina lay back.” Dr. Antoine says standing beside me, “Ok now start to cough for me.” He says after he turns the flow of the liquid off.  I close my eyes and start to cough loudly and finally I hear a pop and take a deep breath in.

“DAMN!” I say grabbing my nose in pain and feel it bleeding so I grab a Kleenex and hold it to my nose.

He weighs me again and smiles, “Alaina you just gained 5 pounds…four more sessions of that and you’ll be back to normal” He says touching my shoulder.

“Ok no way am I letting you stick that up my nose again. I’ll eat now I promise.”

“Don’t worry we’ll all make sure she eats.” Nick says hugging me rubbing my throat softly knowing it hurt from the tube.

“Good, and another thing, Genesis can go home tomorrow” he says walking out smiling.

“Feeling better Alaina?” Nick says smiling down at me so I stick my bloody Kleenex up at him, “EWW there’s snotty blood.” He says taking it from me and throwing it out shivering in disgust as the room laughs at him.

“See what I go through to make you happy.” I say sitting up actually feeling a little better then earlier.

“Ha you’re so funny.” He kisses me softly and I take a breath in shock not expecting him to kiss me.

“When do you guys go back on tour?” I ask looking around at everyone after pulling away from Nick blushing.

“They are going back next week. I’m staying with you.” Nick says wrapping his arms around my waist.

“Nick come on you can’t do that. You have to go on tour.” I grab for the remote wanting to see what was on the news tonight, “Oh my god!” I say looking at the TV seeing Paris talking about Nick having a child and abandoning it to be with the group five years ago.

“God I can’t believe this. Here we go with another press conference.” Nick mumbles laying his head on my shoulder.

“Well Nick this comes with the fame babe and you know that.” I say playing with his hair like I normally did when we sat like this.

“God you still understand after 5 years of not being around” Nick looks up at me and I lean down lightly kissing him before pulling away blushing more, “Alaina do you think we can…you know start over?” He asks playing with my fingers.

“I don‘t think so Nick.” I say and he nods even though he wasn’t to happy with that answer wanting to give us another chance.

“Well I’m hungry I’m going to go check out the café. Anyone want anything?” AJ says looking straight at me waiting.

“I’m ok.” I say and Nick gives me a look, “alright a bag of chips then.”

“So healthy Alaina.” Nick mumbles as AJ leaves chuckling.

“Hey doc didn’t say anything bout healthy eating. He just said to eat.” I say acting like a smart ass smiling at him.

“You are such a smart ass.” Brian says laughing, “It’s so good to have you back Alaina, and Nick’s actually smiling.”

I smile and stick my tongue out at Brian, “You know I never once missed you guys on TV or on the radio”

“Then why’d you leave?” Bob Carter asks from across the room and everyone looks at me wanting to know, “All of us would have helped you two get through everything in the pregnancy and the press crap.”

“Why’d I leave?” I say softly and they nod as AJ walks back in, “Thanks Jay. I left because I was scared about what you would all do.”

“What are you talking about? Alaina we all loved you and still do and thought you and Nick were a perfect match.” Jane says walking over sitting beside me on the bed grabbing my hand softly, “Explain why you were scared?”

I take a deep breath shutting my eyes slowly opening them tears instantly starting down my cheeks as I remember my nightmare, “Well about 2 months before I found out I was pregnant you guys had just left for the tour so I met up with some of my high school friends like Nikki and Lisa right.” They all nod so I continue, “well we went to ZERO!, like we always do when we go out.  We were all on the dance floor having a great time just drinking coke not alcohol and dancing together like we always did. Well around 1am I left to use the bathroom and…” I take a deep breath not wanting to cry, “I was attacked, pulled outside into a snow bank and raped.” Everyone gasps in shock and Jane hugs me as I start to cry, “That’s why I was scared, I didn’t know who the father was. I guess I just thought that if this other guy was the father you’d all accuse me of cheating.”

“God Alaina.” Jane says tightening her arms around me, “I’m so sorry sweetie.”

“Want to know the worst part.” Everyone nods, “it was Pearlman.”

“WHAT!” Everyone screams in shock. “I’m gonna kill him!” Nick gets off the bed to leave the room but Kevin jumps up to block him from moving, “Let me out of here Kevin, I need to go find the bastard!”

“God Alaina, why didn’t you press charges?” Kevin asks curiously still standing in front of Nick turning Nick to walk back to the bed.

“I did, he dropped his charges against you all didn’t he?” I wrap my arms around Nick’s waist cuddling into him and feel his body relax.

“Yes. What’s that got to do with you?” Howie asks curiously holding Lee in his lap trying to stay calm.

“I told him that if he didn’t I’d sue him for his whole company and get him put in jail for raping me and stealing from all you.”

“Damn no wonder he dropped his charges. He’d get it ten times worse from you.” AJ says hugging me, “Now I’m really happy Genesis is Nicks.”

“Oh AJ you have no idea how ecstatic I was after the paternity test came back but seriously as soon as I held her in my arms and saw her eyes I knew she was Nick’s. No test had to tell me what I already knew in my heart.”

Nick hugs me softly, “You should have just told me babe. I would have been around even if Genesis wasn’t biologically mine.”

“I got scared. I did the thing I thought was a good idea at the time for everyone. Guess I was wrong huh.” I say and everyone nods.

“So you gonna give you and Nick another shot or just stay friends for Gene?” Brian asks wanting the answer right then not being able to wait.

“Gees you’re almost as impatient as Nick.” I say chuckling. “But I’d really love to give us another shot. But I need to straighten out my life here before anything happens.”

Nick nods kissing me again with more feeling. “Move in with me?”

I nod smiling at him and everyone hugs us happily.

 

Every body knows that I was such a fool 

To ever let go of you baby I was wrong 

I know I said we’d be better off alone 

It was time we moved on 

I know I broke your heart

I didn’t mean to break your heart 

 

Baby here I am

Banging on the old front door 

My pride spilled on the floor 

My hands and knees r bruised

And I’m crawling back to u 

Begging for a second chance 

Are you gonna let me in 

I was running from the truth 

And now I’m crawling back to you

 

I know that you’re there u can make me wait 

I’m not going to break

It’s the least that I can do

Just to tell u face to face

I was lying to myself 

Now I’m dying in this hell 

Girl I know you’re mad

I can’t blame you for being mad 

 

Baby here I am

Banging on the old front door 

My pride spilled on the floor 

My hands and knees are bruised

Now I’m crawling back to you 

Begging for a second chance 

Are you gonna let me in 

I was running from the truth 

And now I’m crawling back to you 

 

If you can see these tears I’m crying 

Just as these hands can’t stop shakin

Feel my heart that’s barely beating 

You’ll see a different man

 

Baby here I am

Banging on the old front door 

My pride spilled on the floor 

My hands and knees are bruised

And I’m crawling back to you 

Begging for a second chance 

Are you gonna let me in 

I was running from the truth 

And now I’m crawling back to you

 

Banging on the old front door 

My pride spilled on the floor

My hands and knees are bruised

And I’m crawling back to you