- Text Size +

I hadn’t seen Nick since that night. Sure, I was avoiding him, but luckily he ended up on tour. I was thoroughly thankful for that. I didn’t want to see him. After he professed his love, I freaked out.

Nick tried everything in his power to talk to me, but I wouldn’t let him. He spilled the beans about us sleeping together. When Kendra and Celeste found out they told me I should go for it. For some reason they thought I was in love with him. The past few months I avoided them as much possible. I got tired of hearing them talk about Nick. They should worry about their own lives.

I spent all my time working or relaxing at home. Staying at home was the easiest way to avoid people.

Today was Valentine’s Day. I decided to take the day off from work. There was no way I wanted to be in the office watching everyone get flowers but me. Instead, I sat on my couch thinking about Nick. Why couldn’t I get him out of my mind? He was always there. All I thought about was that night.

The doorbell pulled me out of my thoughts. I slowly made my way to the door. I wasn’t expecting anyone, so I took my time. I was surprised when I saw who was at the door.

“Nick, what are you doing here?” I barely got the words out of my mouth. All of a sudden I was nervous seeing him.

Nick didn’t say anything. He stared at my protruding belly. “You’re pregnant?” He asked in shock.

“Brilliant observation, Nick. You aren’t as stupid as they say you are.”

“Can I come in? This is for you.” He handed me a single red rose.

“I don’t think this is a good time.” I wanted to continue avoiding him.

“Damn it, Sophia. You’ve ignored me for the past five months. This has got to end.” He was angry, and I couldn’t blame him.

“Fine. Come in.” I walked into the living room and sat down on the couch. He sat down next to me.

“Is it mine?” He blurted out. 

“It’s not an it. It’s a little boy.” I started rubbing my belly.

“Who’s the father?” He demanded I tell him.

“None of your business.” I snapped.

“Soph, I didn’t know you were the type of woman to sleep around.” His voice was full of anger and confusion.

“Nick, you don’t know me. If I want to sleep with a new man every night I can. Of all people you shouldn’t be judging me. It’s okay for you to have sex with every woman you meet. I’m sure you had your fair share of groupies on tour.”

“I haven’t slept with anyone since you.  I don’t want to. You’re the only woman I want in my bed.” Nick scooted closer to me.

“Why Nick? Why am I that special?” I didn’t know what he saw in me. All we did was fight and trade insults.

“Sophie, you are caring, sweet, smart, beautiful and the list could go on forever. I love the way we trade rude comments. I can’t see myself with another woman. I can deny it, but I’ve been in love with you for years. That’s why my relationships never worked. I always thought about you.”

“Please don’t blame me for ruining all your relationships. That’s not fair.”

“I’m not blaming you. I’m admitting something I should have a long time ago. Do you know how hard this tour was for me? Everyone had someone but me. Even Celeste came on tour with AJ for a few weeks.” He looked so sad.

“I’m sure you could have had any woman at your beck and call.” I stood up. Being that close to him was dangerous. I wanted him to hold me and kiss me. What was I thinking? I couldn’t let that happen.  I didn’t like him in that way.

“Sophie, don’t you get it. I only want one woman. I’m ready to settle down and be happy.” He ran his fingers through his hair in frustration.

I didn’t know what to say. I left the room. Hopefully Nick would just leave. I couldn’t face him. I didn’t want to hurt his feelings because I didn’t love him. I was okay being a single mom for the rest of my life. It was the one thing I was thankful Nick had given me. In some weird way it was nice that I would always have a part of Nick in my life.

That thought woke me up. I was in love with Nick. What was I going to do? This couldn’t be happening. The one guy I hated most of my life, I fell in love with.

“Why did you walk away?” He sat next me on the bed.

“Nick, I’m so confused. I don’t know up from down anymore. My hormones are out of whack.”

“Soph.” He pulled my body to his and hugged me. “I want to be with you.”

“I’m afraid.” It was the first time I was honest with myself and Nick.

“What are you afraid of? I’m not going to hurt you.”

“Nick, the truth is that day when you didn’t want to kiss me, I was hurt. I liked you a lot, and it broke my heart that you did that. It was easier to hate you.”

Nick lifted my chin and started kissing me. His lips felt wonderful on mine. Even though it had been a while since we kissed; it was like time never passed. My body was on fire from a simple kiss. I pulled back slightly and looked up at Nick.

“Nick, I think I like you, too. I can’t rush into a relationship.” I was being honest. I wasn’t ready to be his girlfriend yet. I needed time to let us bloom.

“I understand. We don’t have to be a couple this very instant. I’m not going to lie to you. Someday I’m going to make you my wife.” He smiled at me.

“Nick, how do you know I’m the one?”

“I fell in love with you in second grade and haven’t stopped.” That shocked me, but melted my heart at the same time.

“Nick, I would like us to start off with just dating. Let’s take it slow and really do this right.” I smiled at him. I wanted to try this with Nick.

“I’m fine with that. As long as you’re in my life I’ll be happy. What about the baby?”

“Nick, you’re going to be a dad in June.” I said quietly. I hoped that wouldn’t change things with us.

“Really?” He said seriously. Then he got the biggest smile on his face. “A little Nick junior to rule the world; I like that.”

“I take it your happy.” I placed a kiss on his cheek.

“Oh yes! The woman I’m madly in love with is carrying my baby. I hope he has your brown eyes and brains, along with my good looks and charm.”

“I love you Nick.” I blurted out. As much as I thought it would freak me out, it didn’t. There was something comforting about loving Nick.

“I love you, Sophie. Would you be mine?” I laughed. Nick was so cheesy.

“Yes. Happy Valentine’s Day!”

Our lips met in a passionate kiss. I was never so happy in my life. Our little boy was happily kicking away. I took this as a seal of approval. He loved his daddy as much as I did.