- Text Size +

 

Chapter 2

            Once we're at the restaurant, once again, our friendship takes control. When we're out in public is when it's the worst because I can't let my feelings show at all. I can't let AJ's career be tainted by our "benefits".

            Of course, the paparazzi are waiting at the door. One guy says, "Who's the girl?"

            AJ says, "My best friend, what's it to you?"

            The photographer says, "Won't the future Mrs. McLean be steamed you're stepping out?"

            AJ says, "Hardly. She's knows my friends. This happens to be my best friend in the world. Now, if you'll back off, we're going to have dinner and discuss my wedding."

            Another photographer says, "Who's your best man?"

            AJ laughs and says, "She is...and she's not a man!"

            When we get to the table, I look at AJ and say, "That was a joke, right?"

            He says, "No, not at all. I already told Ro I want you in the wedding party. She's all for it."

            I say, "Umm, AJ, that's really sweet, but how can I be best man?"

            He laughs and says, "Same way Mark is a bride's maid. It's gonna be our way, not the traditional way."

            On the inside I'm dying. I knew they'd invite me to the wedding, but to be in it? How can I do that? I try to wipe the emotion from my face and say, "No, there's definitely nothing traditional about you."

            He chuckles and says, "You've known that for a long time."

            The waiter approaches and takes our drink order. AJ seems shocked when I order a glass of wine in comparison to his coke. When the waiter walks away, he says, "What's going on Celeste? You only drink when you're upset."

            I sigh and say, "I'm not really upset. I just thought a glass of wine would be nice."

            He shakes his head and says, "If you think I'm buying that load of bull, you're crazy. So give it up, what's wrong?"

            The waiter leaves our glasses and I take a sip before I say, "Just a lot going on at work, that's all. Layoffs are coming and I'm hoping it's not me."

            AJ says, "Sweetheart, why didn't you tell me? Is there anything I can do?"

            I say, "No, not really. I just have to wait and see. No since having everyone worry about it with me."

            He says, "Don't worry. You know I'm always here for you. Ro too."

            I sigh on the inside. I want him with me. NOT Ro. I say, "What are you having for dinner?"

            He checks out his menu while I barely glance at mine. I'm not hungry. Not anymore. The time is drawing close when our little relationship will probably end. Not our friendship, but I highly doubt he'll come to me for sex once he's married. Deciding to make tonight count, a plan forms in my mind.

            When the waiter takes our orders and walks away, I pick up my wine glass and take another sip. AJ's eyes lock on mine just as my foot travels up his leg. He gets that look. The look that says I'm gonna get it when we're alone. He leans forward and says, "What are you doing?"

            I say, "Nothing. Just stretching my leg." When my foot slips between his thighs and my toes rub his crotch, I see him jump slightly. I smile and say, "Everything ok?"

            He smirks and says, "You're so gonna pay for that."

            I laugh and start to take my foot away.  He grabs my ankle and slides his hand halfway up my calf. I say, "Your arms aren't long enough."

            He laughs and says, "Your skin is so smooth. I love touching it."

            I smile and say, "I like that myself."

            He lets go of my leg and I pull my foot back. He picks up his coke and takes a drink before he says, "Tell me about work."

            The rest of dinner is just like that. Fun and easy. I've never been able to talk to anyone like I do AJ. He truly knows everything about me. Well, almost everything. He cares about me like no one else ever has. And let's face it; I love him more than anything. I just can't tell him that.

            After dinner is gone, the waiter says, "Will you be having dessert this evening?"

            AJ's eyes collide with mine and the heat that flows through my body could set the table on fire. I look up at the waiter and say, "I'd love a hot fudge sundae."

            AJ says, "Bring two spoons."

            I laugh as the waiter walks away and I say, "Who says I'll share?"

            He chuckles and says, "I only want a bite. I'm going to eat you later."

            I almost choke on my wine when he says that.  He sees the look in my eyes and he knows he has me. I manage to say, "Maybe."

            He laughs and says, "Maybe? Seriously, I bet you're ready for it now, aren't you?"

            I ignore his question as my sundae is placed before me. I pick up my spoon and put it in my mouth. My eyes lock on AJ's as I slowly pull it out. He groans quietly and says, "Naughty girl, you'll pay for that."

            I laugh and eat my sundae, sharing it with him. When it's gone and he pays the bill, we slowly walk out of the restaurant. When we get outside, he takes out a cigarette. I say, "Uh huh huh, you promised. Not tonight."

            He groans and says, "PLEASE? Just one?"

            I shake my head as he helps me into his car. When he gets in, I say, "You promised AJ. You light that, you are NOT getting into my panties."

            He smirks and says, "You aren't wearing any. Kind of a moot point." Even though he's still arguing, he doesn't light up. I smile and lean over to kiss him on the cheek. I say, "Thank you."

            He laughs and says, "Ten photographers just took a picture of that."

            I laugh back and say, "So? Not the first time."

            Before we're out of the parking lot, his phone rings. He looks at the caller ID and says, "It's Ro." He puts it on speaker phone because he's driving and I sit quietly, hoping it doesn't get to personal because I'm listening.

            She says, "What's going on? Who are you out with?"

            He says, "I took Celeste to dinner. She's down. She might lose her job."

            I hear her sigh before she says, "AJ, do you know how that looks? She's single, you're engaged."

            I turn my head to hide the hurt, but AJ knows I'm bothered by her comment. He says, "Ro, she's my best friend. I'm not ditching her when she needs me because you think it will look bad."

            She says, "AJ, come on, our wedding is in a couple of months. What's she going to do after we're married?"

            A single tear slides down my face. She's right. What will I do?

            AJ says, "She's still going to be my friend. Dammit, Ro, I told you, I'm not changing who I am for anyone. I'm not ditching my friends either."

            He stops in front of my building and before he can stop me, I'm out of his car and running to the door. I hear him say, "Celeste, wait!" but I just keep going.

            When I get to my apartment, I don't bother closing the door. I know AJ is behind me. I go over to the window and stare out at the stars, not sure I'm ready to face AJ or the possibility I'll lose my friend the moment he says, "I do."

Chapter End Notes:

PLEASE let me know! :)