- Text Size +

Chapter 15

Tasha Callaghan was going to be the death of him...in the very best way.

Turning off his phone’s alarm, Nick dropped it on the bedside table and rubbed his eyes open. He hadn’t slept that soundly in months and minus a minor crick in his neck, his body was unbelievably relaxed.

Images from their not-so-short interlude from earlier that morning started replaying in his mind. Her responsiveness to his touch, the fire in her eyes when he teased her, the way they fit perfectly together...it was almost like a dream. Almost.

He felt movement underneath the sheets beside him, the touch of a hand on his stomach and a leg sliding between his. Nick smiled and caressed the mass of dark hair tucked next to him. 

“I’m cold,” Tasha whispered against his neck, straightening to find a comfortable spot on his chest.

He pulled her closer to him the same time he covered both of them with a thicker blanket. Underneath the sheets, he angled his body so his front was against hers, one leg curved over hers possessively.

“Better?” he murmured, running his fingers against the rise of her hips.

“Mmm hmm,” she said, looking up and opening her eyes slightly to give him a sleepy smile. “Thank you.”

Nick dipped his head and dropped a soft kiss on her lips. “Anytime.”

She closed her eyes and buried her face on his chest, fully intending to go back to sleep. Nick couldn’t really let that happen so he leisurely let his hand travel to the swell of her buttocks and pinched.

Tasha yelped in surprise and practically jumped off the mattress. Her eyes popped open and automatically swatted his shoulder.

Laughing, he caught her arm and dropped a kiss on the inside of her wrist. “Wakey wakey, baby.”

“There are better ways to wake me up, you know,” Tasha grumbled, feigning pain by rubbing her backside. “Instead of injuring me.”

He took her face in both his hands. “What a crybaby.” Dropping a kiss on her nose, he asked “Should I kiss it and make it better?”

“No, just--” She thought the better of it and looked back at him in mock seriousness. “Well maybe one kiss. To speed up the healing process and everything.”

“Is that your professional medical opinion?” he asked with (very serious) narrowed eyes.

“I’ve been around doctors and nurses all of two days, so I say,” she pronounced, wrapping her arms around his neck, “Yes.”

He laughed and caressed her temple lightly with his thumb. “Did you sleep well?”

She smiled as she pushed a lock of blonde hair off his forehead. “Mmm hmm. You?”

“Like a baby,” he said softly, fascinated by the pink on her cheeks. “Regrets?” he asked lightly, looking straight into her eyes.

“No regrets,” she told him softly. “We do have to talk about this at some point.”

Nick’s slow grin was decidedly evil. “Not right now, we don’t. Not when I have a medical emergency to attend to.” He then dropped his head down to her collarbone, fully intending to make his way down to where he had pinched her, with maybe a few stops along the way.

He felt her fingers through his hair as he kissed and licked his way down to her left breast. The taste of her skin intoxicated him. If he had his way, he would taste every single part of her over and over. Maybe he could start right now.

“Nick, wait, we gotta go. It’s 1:30,” she said breathlessly, lifting his head from her chest. “I have to shower.”

His hands grabbed hers and held it down on either side of her. “Give me a few minutes,” he said before his mouth closed in on her nipple.

She gasped in surprise. “Nick,” she managed to say, “We don’t have time.”

He let go of her hands but grasped her bottom as he sat up, taking her up with him, her legs conveniently settling on either side of his waist. His gaze was intense. “Play now, shower later.” He  gave her an evil grin before he raised her up so his mouth was level to her right breast. “God, you taste good,” he whispered before his tongue went in gentle circles around her nipple. She bucked against him as he closed in on her aroused peak with his teeth.

Her protests were weakening. “Nick, we need to be at the hospital...oh God.” Her fingers clutched his hair in an effort to stay upright and not melt completely on the bed.

Then he stopped. “I have an idea.”

Tasha blinked. “I’m sorry?” She was adorable when she looked confused. Making sure he had a firm grip on her bare bottom and her legs were tight around his waist, he stood up and made his way to the bathroom. “Hang on, baby.”

She pulled his mouth to hers as he tried to turn on the water to the shower head. For a second they forgot their purpose for being there, so engrossed they were in kissing and devouring each other.

Nick pulled away and grinned. “Your shower awaits,” he declared huskily, pulling both of them inside the darkened stall.

As the water beat down on both of them, Tasha sighed, “You’re a genius.”

And it took a little more than thirty minutes for them to fully celebrate the brilliance of his idea.

**********

Nick Carter was going to be the death of her.

Oh sure, kissing him was phenomenal. He knew how to nip her lower lip in a way that made her mind go blank. He knew that whispering dirty things in her ear can get her turned on as fast as any touch. And he knew that somehow, they fit. Perfectly. Deliriously wonderfully perfectly.

Tasha was also sure that by the end of the day, she would have a permanent blush staining her cheeks the more she thought about them together.

Not that she was complaining. Their five minute walk to the NICU from the hotel turned to fifteen, with them stopping for stolen kisses in covert corners and him whispering in her ear exactly what he was going to do to her the next time they were alone. Her pulse was constantly humming from the stimulus of him and his words.

Checking in with Rose thirty minutes late, she was told that her father wasn’t awake yet, but he should be soon. His doctors would be making their rounds in half an hour and Tasha can get an update then.

In the meantime, they made a quick trip to the Starbucks in the lobby for a much needed caffeine break and late lunch.

“How do you feel about cake pops?” she asked as they peered at the glass display from a distance. Thankfully only four other people were ahead of them so they should be caffeinated in no time.

Nick kept her as close as he can, with his arms around her waist as she stood in front of him. “I feel very strongly about cake pops. In any and all situations.”

She smiled up at him. “Even for lunch?”

“Especially for lunch. I may order fifteen.” He rested his head on her left shoulder so he could see what she was seeing. “And maybe a few of those bear claws. I’m starving.”

“Nick, if you get that much sugar and start channeling your crazy toddler son, I WILL smack you,” Tasha threatened half-seriously. “I’m already exhausted, no thanks to you.”

“Why, you’re welcome, baby,” he cooed and kissed her cheek.

“How about sandwiches instead?”

He shrugged. “I don’t care. I just need you to feed me, woman,” he demanded with a growl and a nip to her ear.

“Nick, is that you?” a voice behind them said in surprise.

She felt him cringe and tighten his hold around her protectively.

They turned at the same time. When Nick realized who it was, he released her immediately and put some distance between them. As he stepped away from her, his body stiffened, as if bracing for impact.

“Oh son, it is you!” An older lady with a familiar smile started walking to them from the other end of the lobby. “Roy, get over here, I told you it was him.”

“Goddammit,” she heard him whisper under his breath. But to them he smiled, hesitantly. “Hey Mom, Dad.”

Tasha was confused. Nick hadn’t spoken to his parents in ten years. And besides, they looked nothing like she remembered from magazine photos way back in the day.

“What are you doing here?” the lady asked as she approached them and gave Nick a tight hug. “I didn’t realize you were coming back to Baltimore so soon!”

Her husband came up right behind her and took Nick into a bear hug of his own. “Nick! Aren’t you a sight for sore eyes. I thought we weren’t seeing you ‘til Thanksgiving!”

“It was a last minute trip, I just got here last night,” he explained, motioning to Tasha. “I’m here with my friend Tasha.”

He turned to her and started the introductions. “Tasha, these are Matty’s grandparents, Karen and Roy. Guys, this is Tasha.”

Realization dawned in the form of two members of the Chasez clan. No wonder they both looked familiar. Their pictures were scattered all over Nick’s house.

“It’s a pleasure to meet both of you,” Tasha greeted warmly, giving Nick a sidelong glance and wondering why he kept moving away. “Matty talks about you both nonstop, I feel like I already know you.”

“Are you THE Tasha? The same one JC’s been talking about?” Roy asked with a smile. “He sent me your songs, you have some strong pipes right there.”

“Oh thank you, Mr. Chasez,” Tasha responded with a laugh. “It’s not only me though, JC and Nick here make me sound good.”

“Oh please, honey, call me Roy.”

“How long are you both in town for? Oh! Why don’t you have dinner at the house tonight? I can make your favourite, Nick, my pot roast,” Karen said excitedly, touching Nick’s arm.

“Oh hush, Karen, these two probably have plans.”

“No, no,” Nick cut in, “We don’t but we’re here because of Tasha’s dad and--”

Karen’s hand went to the base of her throat. “Oh honey, is your dad okay?”

Tasha nodded quickly. “He’s recovering from brain surgery. We’re waiting to see him at the NICU any moment now.”

Karen came forward and enveloped her in the tightest, warmest hug. “We’ll be praying for your papa, Tasha. I hope he recovers soon so we get to meet him too.”

Tasha returned the embrace with solemn gratitude.

“Why are you guys here? Is everything okay? Did you see the doctor for something?” Nick asked, concerned.

Roy shook his head. “One of the guys from my office had a heart attack and we were here visiting, just to make sure he was recovering well. Your mom and I, we’re fit enough to run marathons, don’t you worry.”

Karen reached up and fixed the collar on Nick’s plaid shirt. “We were just on our way to the cemetery to drop off some flowers for Faith.” Tasha saw Nick’s hands curl involuntarily at his side. “Do you want us to pass along a message? I was just going to tell her about your Dad’s retirement party.”

Nick smile was haunted. “No, but thank you, Mom. I, uh, I caught her up on everything in my last visit.” Just then, Tasha heard an unmistakable hitch in Nick’s voice.

Karen smiled as she touched Nick’s cheek. “I’ll tell her you’re here, in any case.” She gave him a warm kiss on the cheek and another hug. “Call me if you change your mind about dinner. Love you, son.”

Nick nodded and returned her hug tenfold by lifting the smaller woman off the floor. “Love you too, Mom.”

“This was a damn good surprise.” Roy hugged Nick next. “We’ve missed you. Give my grandson a big hug from his pops, okay?”

Nick smiled as he lingered against Roy for a few heartbeats. “Yes sir.”

With parting hugs to Tasha and promises to see them at Thanksgiving, they were gone as quickly as they arrived.

“They seemed nice,” Tasha commented, sincerely happy at the chance to have met them, “They don’t remind me of JC at all. But Faith and Karen have the same eyes, I think, from the pictures I’ve seen.” Hooking a finger on Nick’s belt loop, she turned to him and asked, “Ready for some caffeine? Which sandwich do you want?”

He didn’t move from his spot, deep in thought, still watching as Karen and Roy exited the building holding hands.

Tasha’s brows furrowed in worry. “Hey,” she said softly, touching his cheek, “What’s wrong?”

He turned to her as if he suddenly remembered she was there. “Tash.”

She gave him a slight smile. “I’m right here. Are you okay?”

He shook his head as if to clear it. “Yeah.” He gave her a half smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes and dropped a kiss on her forehead. “Yeah. Sorry, they surprised me, that’s all. Lunch. We were talking about lunch.” He walked with her to the counter and grabbed a couple of sandwiches from the display case. “Hey, look, a veggie wrap. Do you want one? It looks pretty good.”

“Sure,” Tasha answered, noticing a shift in his mood. “Can you grab me some water too?”

He nodded and placed their sandwiches on the counter. As Nick gave the barista their drink orders, Tasha stood back and watched him, noting his suddenly tense shoulders and nervous tapping on the wood surface. Seeing his in-laws clearly rattled him more than he wanted to admit to her.

They walked back to the NICU waiting room in silence. Nick looked preoccupied and although he had kept a tight hold on her waist, he seemed a million miles away.

Tasha tried to understand what was going on but the intense concentration Nick gave at looking out the window didn’t lend to easy conversation.

“So have you guys always been close? You and Karen and Roy?” she asked quietly.

“Hmm?” Nick turned back to her. “Sorry, what was your question?”

“I was wondering if you’ve always been close with your in-laws. You guys seem to have a great relationship.”

Nick nodded, looking back out the window. “Pretty much since Faith and I started seeing each other. They’re a tight family and when Faith brought me home to meet them, they’d made me feel like I’ve been a Chasez all my life.” He gave her a half-smile. “They’re more my parents than my real mother and father were.”

She placed her hand over his as it rested on his knee. “They must be pretty wonderful.”

“They’re exceptional,” Nick confirmed. “I’m glad you got to meet them.” With that, he entwined his fingers with hers and squeezed tight. “You may need to put up with my moodiness for a while, Tash,” he told her apologetically. “I haven’t thought about Faith in a while and seeing them just...” He paused, trying to find the words.

Tasha nodded, brushing some hair off the side of his face. “Do you want to talk about it? About Faith?”

He looked away, not answering but kept his fingers entwined with hers. Tasha decided she was going to give him time. Too many things had happened since he arrived--was it just twelve hours ago?--the least she could do for both of them was to allow some room to think.

Looking down at their clasped hands, Tasha smoothed her fingers on the back of his, offering a semblance of comfort, support. Pretty soon, she noticed the outline of a ring on his ring finger. Curious, she traced it with her thumb, wondering how recent it was that he finally took off his wedding band.

“Six weeks ago.”

Tasha looked up to see him blankly looking at their hands together. “Sorry?”

“I took off my wedding band six weeks ago.” Looking up at her, he gave her a sad smile. “The same day I met you.”

Tasha leaned back in surprise.

“It was my first time back in Baltimore in a year,” he said quietly. “And the first thing I did was visit Faith’s grave. It was the anniversary of her death and I wanted...” He shrugged as he took a deep breath. “I told her I needed to let her go. To move on, for Matty. For my sanity. I left my wedding band on her tombstone and promised to bring Matty back when he was old enough.”

She tightened her hold on his hand.

“Then I went to the lounge, intending to get rip roaring drunk for the next five days. But there you were: all hope and sadness and sincerity all in one beautiful package.” He turned to look directly into her eyes. “You saved me that night, Tash.”

It was quite possibly the most beautiful thing anyone had ever said to her. And the saddest. With tears brimming in her eyes, she touched his cheek and kissed his lips softly.

“Tasha?” a voice behind her called out. “The doctors want to speak with you. Do you have a minute?”

Tasha and Nick looked up and saw Rose, her eyes apologetic at cutting into this obviously private moment.

“Yeah, one sec.” She turned to Nick and asked, her voice thick with emotion, “You’ll be okay for a bit?”

Nick nodded. “Go on, see your dad. I’ll be right here.” He kissed the back of her hand before letting her go. “We’ll talk later.”

Tasha nodded, wiped the moisture that was threatening to drop from her eyes and stood to follow Rose into the secure NICU area.

So many thoughts were racing through Tasha’s head, so much more she wanted to know. JC and Leigh had always been unwilling to talk about Faith, because it was Nick’s story to tell, but she did understand that he’d been hesitant to move on. Nick, in the last six weeks that she’d known him, hardly mentioned his wife, just referred to her as Matty’s mom and a handful of times talked about how much she had changed him.

Then there was that episode in his studio, where he practically kicked them out of the room for playing a song that was so phenomenal, she wondered why the world hadn’t heard it. It was the first time she’d seen such raw emotion from Nick it was almost impossible to leave him. Since then, she’d been wondering what it was that triggered his anger, his distance from her.

She walked into her dad’s room, his bed surrounded by machines and cords attached to his body and wrapped head. There was a thin ray of light coming from the window, the drawn curtains lending to the somber atmosphere.

Her dad was still asleep, but colour had come back to his cheeks signaling a return to health.

Tasha smiled up at the two men in white coats next to his bed. “I hope you have good news.”

Both of them smiled back. Explaining that they had taken him off sedatives earlier that afternoon, they had run some tests when he woke up to make certain his brain function wasn’t affected. He had fallen asleep but would wake any moment. They also told her that if his healing progressed, he would be out of NICU and in his own room by tomorrow.

The tumor, they said, was shrinking as suspected. Due to this, his time in the clinical trial was numbered, only two more courses of medication in the next few months and he should be free and clear of the tumor. It was almost like a miracle, one of them said in disbelief.

They wanted her back to talk about after-trial care in a month or so, making sure that she was able to make plans to care for him after he was discharged from the Neuro Centre.

Relief and hope spread through her chest. Tears came back unbidden as well. It had been a hellish few days and with the emotional upheaval from Nick’s arrival, she was feeling a little vulnerable.

The doctors and Rose congratulated her before leaving her alone in the room, holding her dad’s hand. She could stay for a few minutes, Rose said, before visiting hours were over. “Come back tomorrow morning,” Rose said, after giving her a hug. “He should be back in his room then.”

Tasha held her dad’s hand for a few minutes, wishing she could talk to him.

“Tasha?” a hoarse voice from the bed murmured.

She looked up quickly, her dad’s eyes open but unfocused. “Daddy,” she breathed, tightening her hold on his hand. “How are you feeling?”

“Like a woodchipper cut my head in half,” he said, his voice broken. “Water.”

Tasha grabbed the water that was waiting on his bedside and let him drink from a straw. “You made me worry there, pops,” she said with a smile. “If you wanted to get out of watching Survivor reruns, you could’ve just said so.”

He offered her a rare smile. “Did I...”

She nodded, knowing what he was going to ask. “It was a seizure. They had to do surgery, to remove some fluid.” Tasha wiped her eyes dry, not wanting to worry him. “I’m loving the whole turban look you’re rocking, though.”

She felt him squeeze her hand. “I’m glad you’re here, pumpkin,” he said as he closed his eyes. Pumpkin. He hadn’t called her that in years.

Her eyes misted over again. “Me too, Daddy.”

At that she felt him slip into deep sleep.

********

Nick carefully sidestepped a puddle as he walked through the grass. He had been walking for what seemed like hours, leaving the hospital because he couldn’t stand to sit and let all the crazy images in his head start taking over again.

The clouds opened halfway through his walk and drenched him to the bone. He didn’t stop. He couldn’t. He was tormented by memories of Faith and his growing guilt.

“If I die before you,” Faith said dramatically one sunny afternoon before Matty was born, “I want you to find someone wonderful, Nick. Someone who understands your...uniqueness.”

Nick laughed and caressed his wife’s growing belly while they sat on the beach with her head on his lap. “I think you meant my ‘weirdness’, darling.”

“Your loveliness, your quirkiness, your gigantic...capacity for love,” she corrected with a laugh, closing her hand on his. “Promise me?”

Nick was lost in her eyes. “I’ll promise you anything, Faith.” He brushed some of her blonde hair off her face. “If I die before you do, don’t marry anyone, ever. Because I’m the only one who can love you this much,” he pronounced with a soft kiss to her lips.

He found himself outside the cemetery where Faith was buried, his head a mishmash of memories and apologies. He walked through the gates with purpose.

“I think you should do it,” she said as they settled into bed with a month old Matty in between them. “The world needs to hear your music, baby. You should do the tour.”

“I don’t have enough music for a full show,” Nick told her as he shaked his head. “And besides, who’d want to see a guy who used to be in a boy band?”

“Baby.” Her voice turned stern. “You’ve produced Grammy winning music for years. Everybody knows you’re a hit maker, not just a Backstreet Boy.” She kissed his forehead lovingly. “It’s your turn to shine.”

He shouldn’t have listened. He knew being away from his wife and newborn son, even though it was just a five-gig tour, would be torturous. His gut told him to postpone until the next summer, when both of them could travel with him, but his wife’s urging and his itch to be in front of an audience and sing again was too overwhelming.

“We’ll fly with you to Baltimore, watch your first show, and then wait for you at Mom and Dad’s,” Faith insisted. “Come home when you’re ready. We’ll be there.”

Lightning streaked through the ominously dark Baltimore skyline and the crack of thunder broke the silence around him. He didn’t really notice, in his single minded determination to reach Faith’s grave site.

Then came the voice that was his undoing.

“Nick, I’m a block away from the venue,” Faith’s laughing voice came through his phone like a breath of fresh air. “Matty wouldn’t sleep. I should be there soon. Are you nervous?”

He breathed a sigh of relief. His nerves had been getting the best of him and needed to hold Faith to calm himself down before his first show in eight years. “Insanely. Park out front, I’m in the dressing room. I need to hug you.”

“You are going to be wonderful, baby. I love you. And see you in---” The words were cut off as the sound of metal on metal reverberated in his ears, as well as the sound of Faith’s sudden intake of breath.

Nick didn’t remember much from that moment, just the fact that the same sound of metal scraping came from outside the building he was in. He ran, knowing deep down that something was wrong but wishing to God he was stuck in a dream.

He lost his breath as he stopped short in front of a pile of tangled steel just outside the club he was scheduled to play. Right under the marquee that said “Nick Carter Live” was the familiar looking Mini Cooper, upside down and wrapped around a collapsed trailer of a freight truck that looked like it crashed into the empty building next door.

It was at that moment that Nick’s life tilted on its axis. Nothing had been the same after that.

He shook his head at the memory, controlling the growing anger...at any god that allowed his son to lose his mother so soon, at his own bad decisions that caused his wife’s death, at anything really that he could blame for losing the love of his life.

He reached the tombstone that read “Faith Chasez-Carter. Wife. Daughter. Mother. Sister. Beloved angel” and collapsed on his knees.

“I’m sorry, Faith,” Nick said quietly, his tears mingling with the torrential rain. “But I don’t know if I can let you go.”

*********

“I’m so glad your dad’s going to be okay, Tash,” Leigh said with relief over Facetime. “We were worried for him.”

Tasha distractedly changed the channel and burrowed deeper under her blanket in her room. She gave Leigh a distracted smile. “Me too. It’s been an interesting few days to say the least.”

“How’s Nick? Is he any help to you at all or is he in the way? Say the word and we’ll haul his ass back here if he’s too much trouble.”

“No, he’s fine. It’s...fine.” Tasha clicked the power button on the remote and sighed. “We’re fine.”

Tasha was sure Leigh’s sixth sense could smell bullshit all the way from California. “Just ‘fine’? You look like you either want to strangle him or drown him in the nearest lake.”

Tasha shrugged, but her worry lines still showed. “Maybe the second option. Strangling takes too much effort and I’m exhausted.”

Leigh laughed as she scooped ice cream into her mouth. “I feel that way about Howie most days.” In the background, Tasha heard a high pitched ‘hey!’. “You know it’s true, babe. Can you get me more ice cream? I think rocky road this time. And can you drizzle some cherry coke on it?”

Tasha made a face and laughed. “You pregnant ladies and your weird cravings. Why don’t you just make it into a cherry coke float?”

“The cherry coke to ice cream ratio would be ridic. I’m very specific with my cravings. Otherwise, the baby complains.”

“How’s the baby, do you find out if it’s a he or a she soon?”

Leigh shook his head as she licked her spoon. “Dude, stop changing the subject. We were talking about giving Nick a dunking, Dexter style.”

“Forget it, I don’t want to talk about Nick.”

“What happened?” Leigh asked, concerned.

“Nothing happened. Just...let’s talk about something else. How’s your vacation planning? Still going to Paris?”

Leigh shook her head. “Where is Nick anyway?”

“I don’t know. I haven’t seen him since this afternoon.”

Leigh looked genuinely taken aback. “It must be close to 9 PM there. Where did he go?”

Tasha shook her head and pretended not to care. She was emotionally exhausted from the day with her dad, the day with Nick and now the nervous feeling in the pit of her stomach made her want to dropkick Nick in the groin for making her worry.

She did try to look for him. When she came out of her dad’s room and found the waiting room empty, she waited. After half an hour, she started to worry and went back to the hotel. Then she tried the Ritz as well as dropping by the lounge to see if Nick stopped by for drinks.

After running around Baltimore for hours, Nick was nowhere to be found. It was like he was never here, and save for the backpack he left in her room and his toothbrush in the bathroom, she felt like the last 24 hours was a dream.

She must’ve sent him over thirty messages and tried calling him hundreds of times. But he remained unreachable. Downing the last of her wine, she looked back at Leigh on her phone. “I honestly have no clue. We ran into his in-laws at the hospital and he disappeared after that.”

There was a knock on her door. “Hang on, Leigh. Pizza’s here. I’ll be right back.”

“Ooh, did you get one with anchovies? Dammit, now I want a pizza. Howie, darling! Can you go on a pizza run for the mother of your children?”

Tasha laughed. She knew talking to Leigh would make her feel better. She was always so positive, and always on her side. She needed to forget about the events this afternoon and focus on getting enough rest for tomorrow. She was sure she’ll be back in the hospital for the whole day, Nick or no Nick.

Grabbing her purse, she opened the door.

“Hi baby.”

Tasha’s eyes widened when Nick grabbed her by the waist and dropped a kiss on her lips.

She pushed him away when she got a whiff of...was that tequila?

“Nick,” she said in surprise, letting him through the door. “You need a shower. And a coffee.”

He did. His clothes were obviously still wet from the sudden earlier downpour and his eyes were bloodshot from whatever alcohol he ingested.

He smiled at her coyly and promptly walked to the bed and sat down. “I’m fine. I just had a couple of shots.”

“Define ‘a couple’?” Tasha was afraid of the answer, already starting to peel his clothes off him to get him ready for a hot shower.

“Are you joining me? Showering with you is sexy.” He whispered next to her ear as she helped him with the buttons of his shirt. “Sex-shu-al. I used to sing that.”

In spite of herself, Tasha smiled and allowed him to pull her onto his lap. “I remember. You were so cute in the video.”

Nick shook his head as he snaked his fingers underneath her tank top. “Not cute. Sex-shu-al. And I was a mummy. Mummies are NOT cute.”

“Mmm hmm.” His shirt was off so she stood up off his lap and pulled him to his feet. “Come on, you sexy mummy. Hot shower. Doctor’s orders.”

Nick stood his ground, his eyes not quite meeting hers. “I can’t. I have to go. Now.”

Tasha frowned. “Go where?”

He turned and grabbed his backpack from behind her. “Airport. I got a jet on standby,” he said, pulling on a fresh shirt and ran a hand through his hair. “Jeez, my hair is a disaster.”

“You’re leaving?” She felt her heart drop to her stomach. Something was wrong, she can feel it. “Are you okay, Nick? Where were you? I was worried.”

“Walking. Thinking. I need to brush my teeth.” He walked to the bathroom, leaving her standing by the bed, surprised.

She followed him to the next room. “Are you going back to Malibu?”

He nodded, brushing his teeth vigorously. “I have...” He spit into the sink. “Things to sort out.” He resumed brushing but this time ran a comb through his hair using his free hand.

“Are you...Nick, look at me for a minute, I’m trying to talk to you.” As understanding as she wanted to be at that moment, he was just pissing her off with his blatant disregard for her and her presence.

“I’m brushing my teeth, Tash.” He looked at her through the mirror. “And I need to piss.”

Tasha turned around and walked out of the bathroom in frustration. First he disappears for hours and now...well now he was acting like a jackass.

A minute later he walked out and said, “You can stay as long as you want. I’ve already paid for your stay til next week. JC has a few songs he wants you to work on but he’ll call you tomorrow. I need you back in Malibu for the cover photoshoot next Thursday though.” Dropping his toothbrush into his backpack, he surveyed the room to see if he left anything. “You’ll bring back anything I leave behind, won’t you?”

Tasha crossed her arms over her chest, conveniently blocking the door with her body. “So that’s it? You swoop in in the middle of the night, pretend you came here for me, have sex with me TWICE, and disappear? Was that your plan?”

Nick put on his sunglasses. “It was just sex, Tash. We were two adults who wanted to have a good time.”

Tasha fought back the sudden urge to give in to tears at his words. Her hands started shaking in indignation. “Jesus, Nick.”

He walked up to her and touched her arm. “I never promised you a future, Tash. We were emotional, it was bound to happen.”

“And I never asked you to come down to Baltimore to be with me. Why did you?”

He shrugged. “I was trying to be a good friend, Tash. Now will you let me leave? My pilot’s not going to wait much longer.”

“Oh your pilot’s feelings are more important over mine? Who am I exactly to you, Nick?” She wasn’t going to cry. She wasn’t going to cry.

“We’re friends.”

“Are you sure? Because it sure felt like more than that earlier this morning.”

“Don’t be crude, Tash. I can’t be more than friends with you. I’m married.” With that, he raised his left hand, showing off the wedding band that didn’t exist earlier that day.

Tasha’s hand flew to her mouth in shock. “Nick,” she whispered. “Faith has been dead for two years.”

He grasped her arm to pull her out of his way. “That doesn’t mean I should keep cheating on her. I won’t. Tasha, I need to LEAVE.”

“Nick, you weren’t cheating on her,” she whispered, touching his chest.

He pulled her hands off him. “Goddammit, Tasha. What do you want from me? One last fuck for old time’s sake? Take off your panties then, it’ll be quick.” He backed her into the door and ground into her with his hips. “But I won’t be gentle this time.” He cupped her breasts roughly. “Come on. I don’t have all night.”

Tasha’s hand made contact with his cheek---hard. “Fuck. You.” With that she pushed him off her and moved out of his way. “Get out.”

With one last look at her, he was gone.

From a few feet away, Tasha barely heard Leigh’s succinct curse. She had heard everything. “Carter, you motherfucker.”