- Text Size +

Chapter 22

 

Two months later. Two VERY interesting months later.

“I am walking through the arena with six bodyguards, Nick,” Tasha said in exasperation as she rushed through the backstage area of the Gibson Amphitheatre in Los Angeles, hoping to God that she got to wardrobe before she had to get on stage. “I’m only the opening act, I don't need this many bodyguards. Bruno doesn’t even have ANY.”

She stopped just outside of the door that was labelled Tasha - Wardrobe and put her hand on her hip. Behind her, the six aforementioned guards stopped just as abruptly and promptly crashed into each other.

“Guys,” she said, looking at them as they straightened, “Get it together.”

“Bruno Mars doesn't have bodyguards because he WANTS to be mobbed by crazy fangirls.” Nick responded with amusement. “Also, Tash, we talked about this. Johnny Finkel made bail two months ago. I need to keep you protected. At least until we know what his next move is.”

“Nick, I don't care about Finkel. I care about my sanity AND my privacy. Two of them on the tour bus with me is one thing. But six at the venue? No.”

She opened the door to wardrobe and turned to them with a stern look. “No one come in here unless you want to see me in my birthday suit. Comprende?

She got blank looks from all of them.

Good Lord, only fifteen minutes after yoga and she already lost her calm. “Where's JC? Can one of you PLEASE make yourself useful and get me JC?”

At that, she closed the door behind her and collapsed against it. She then closed her eyes and breathed deeply.

“Baby.”

“I’m not talking to you until I’ve found my happy place, Nick. Give me a minute.”

She put her arm down and clasped the phone tight against her thigh. Closing her eyes, she continued to concentrate on letting some of the negativity go. As she’d been touring for six weeks straight with hardly any days off, shaking off the frustration was getting harder and harder to do.

She opened her eyes and saw the busy stylist putting last minute touches to one of her costumes. She gave her a quick smile and waved her to the closed off dressing area slash walk in closet.

Tasha walked over and pointed to the broken zipper on her bustier. “Allie, the zipper keeps going down every time I bend forward. I’m supposed to look cute, not porny. Can you fix it?”

Allie, Tasha’s wardrobe mistress on loan from Leighanne’s shop, nodded and smiled. “I told you we should burn this,” she said as she took the costume off. “I’ll be back in a jiff.” Tasha nodded and put the phone back on her ear.

“Is it the bustier again?” Nick asked quietly as Tasha adjusted her strapless bra and sat down on a nearby couch. “I thought Leigh was getting you a replacement?”

“She did but it isn’t here yet so we’re keeping the old one. It’s the last night anyway and Allie’s working her magic,” she said, cupping one of her breasts gingerly. “Also, I think the girls are getting bigger.” Since she started her tour two months ago, she had slowly lost weight due to her grueling performance schedule. Her breasts, however, seemed to have a mind of their own.

It didn't help that most of her on stage outfits showcased her beauties to the hilt. The Blonds, who sponsored her wardrobe, not only delighted in showing off her long legs, but her cleavage too.

“Baby, you know I miss you,” Nick groaned over the phone. “But I think that mental image of your breasts just made me wish for a cold shower in the middle of a busy airport runway.”

She smiled in spite of her frustration. She hadn't seen Nick in person in more than a month and she was missing him like crazy too. Even though he was on the road with her for her solo shows, as soon as she joined Bruno Mars' gruelling tour as his main opener six weeks ago, Nick had to get back home and focus on his other work at the Compound.

“Don’t change the subject. I’m still upset. I need these four other guys gone.”

“I’m not budging on the security detail, Tasha. Since Damon and I are not there and Finkel’s last known location was Los Angeles, I can’t afford to take chances with your safety.”

“Nick, they’re breathing down my neck, literally. I can’t move without stepping on at least one of them.” Then she changed her voice to a stage whisper. “They watched me do yoga, Nick.”

“Tash.” Nick sounded like he wanted to laugh and was barely stopping himself. “These are trained security guys. They are professionals. Damon and I vetted them ourselves.”

“Nick, it was pervy. I was in my dressing room. I was doing yoga, upside down. They looked at me like I was a freak.”

She felt Nick’s smile over the phone. “It’s because you ARE a freak, baby girl. No one else finds headstands relaxing.”

“That is not my point and you know it.”

Nick laughed, and she bit her lip. He enjoyed goading her way too much and sometimes she forgot. “Okay, Tash. Okay. I’ll call JC and have him tell them to stand down. Your two guards stay, though. Alright?”

She frowned and sighed. “Fine. But you owe me for this.”

“And you know how much I LOVE owing you,” he fairly growled in her ear. She blushed, remembering the last time they got into an argument and Nick apologized using...well, very delicious words.

“Fine.” She wanted to sound gruff but her voice softened at his teasing. “When are you getting here?”

“Soon. Everyone’s off the plane and we’re just getting the luggage in the car. Should be there in 20 minutes.” Nick had flown to Maryland yesterday to pick up Matty’s grandparents so they could spend Thanksgiving at the Compound. And because it was important to him, she said she’d spend Thanksgiving with him too, so she got to know Karen and Roy better.

Her dad understood. When she explained she was staying in California for Thanksgiving, he dismissed it like it was nothing. “Don’t worry, pumpkin,” he said calmly when she saw him a few weeks ago. “I’ve got plans of my own for Thanksgiving. I’ll be fine.”

 

Still she worried. Her dad’s new schedule of medications was making his tumor recede slowly and making him more energized. It was a beautiful thing. But she still wanted to make sure she was around him as much as she can be.

Thank goodness it was the last night of the tour. She didn’t have to worry about set lists and vocalizing and interviews. At least for another week. She can focus on relaxing and getting to know the rest of Nick’s family. And maybe, keeping her mind off what was really worrying her.

“Can you get here quickly? I miss you and I need a hug,” she said quietly.

“I know, baby. We’re headed there right now.” She let his words wash over her. “Tired?”

“I can’t even explain how tired I am.” She sighed. “I’m trying my best not to be bitchy, but I just...I need a real bed and you and just a few days of sleep.”

“Just a few more hours, love. Then I’ll take care of you, okay?” She heard some voices in the background. “Tash, we’re in the car. Hang tight, we’ll see you in a few.”

“Okay. Later, Nick.”

“Later, baby.” He paused before putting the phone down. “And Tash?”

“Yeah?”

“I have to talk to you about your messages. At some point tonight. Okay?”

She felt her stomach fall to the ground in panic. “What do you mean? What messages?” She clutched her phone tighter.

There was an obvious pause. “Your emails from this morning. About the album launch promo schedule? You sent them to Leigh, copied me?” Nick’s voice sounded closer to the receiver. “What is it?”

She barely managed to keep her sigh of relief in check. “Sorry, I forgot for a minute. Yes, of course, we can talk about that tonight.”

“Are you sure everything’s okay?”

“Yes,” Tasha reassured softly. “I’m just anxious. Last show, six bodyguards, no ‘me’ time. You know.”

Nick chuckled. “Fine, fine. If I didn’t miss you so much, I’d think you’re a pain in my ass. I’m calling JC now.”

Tasha gave a small--did it sound fake?--laugh. “Later, studmuffin.”

She put the phone down and leaned against the couch’s armrest. Her heart was still beating like crazy and as much as she wanted to tell Nick everything in her head, she couldn’t. Not now, not when she was so close to making face to face contact with Belinda.

For the last two months, or at least since she last saw Belinda disappear in the dark strip of Malibu beach, she put on a happy face...convincingly, it seemed, because not even Nick or her dad noticed. Starting her solo shows in Vegas, Colorado, Portland and San Francisco, she was the consummate performer, focused, sometimes funny, occasionally quirky. Her public loved her and Nick and Leigh were fielding booking and recording requests left and right.

There was a ridiculous demand for her to tour the rest of the country. Nick unfortunately wanted nothing to do with it.

“No more touring,” he declared while they were in the tour bus alone, en route from Portland to her last sold out show in San Francisco. “Not until this mess with the fire and the tapes is resolved.”

Tasha put her hands on her hips and frowned. “Nick, you’re supposed to look after my career. More tour dates is a good thing, especially since my album is coming out after Thanksgiving.”

“Yes but Damon and I can’t be here to protect you all the time, baby. We need to settle this before I can comfortably let you go on tour on your own.”

She raised her eyebrow and voice in annoyance. “Before you LET ME?”

Nick sighed. “You know what I mean.”

It wasn’t pretty, as far as first fights go. There was shouting, threats to get off the bus, threats to cancel the last show altogether. By some miracle, a call from Bruno Mars’ people came through just as Tasha was calling Leigh to get her a new manager. The offer to join the rest of his tour was a godsend, clearly an offer they couldn’t refuse even if Nick wanted to. Tasha was ultimately under the protection of a bigger tour, given more exposure and Nick didn’t have a chance to say no at all. As a compromise, Nick hired two of Damon’s buddies, both ex-military, as bodyguards trained to shoot the bad guys first and ask questions later.

Nick stayed on with her long enough on Bruno’s tour to make sure that everyone on the crew and tour management understood Tasha needed to be protected at all times. It didn’t hurt that Tasha’s easy personality endeared her to the rest of Bruno’s tour crew and soon enough, they were all professing their intent to protect her even if they die trying.

When Nick left the tour, Tasha decided to finally answer a text message that had come through her phone the day after the botched high speed chase.

Tash, I need to see you. But away from your blonde bodyguard.

She knew it was Belinda. How she got her number was still a mystery but she was glad she was able to talk to Belinda away from Nick’s watchful eye.

Bee, we need to talk about the tapes.

It was almost twenty-four hours before Belinda responded.

I don’t want to talk about the tapes. I want to talk about us. Face to face.

Tasha couldn’t figure out what she was saying. Bee, there is no us. But if it’s you behind the tapes and the fire, I need you to stop. I don’t want you to get in trouble. This is serious shit.

I don’t want to talk about anything other than you and me, Natasha. Please. There are things I need to tell you.

I can’t see you face to face, Bee. I’m on tour. Just...just call me. We’ll talk about it. I can help you.

I know where you are, Tash. I’m close. But I won’t show myself until you get rid of your security. I want it to be just you and me.

That last statement was enough for Tasha to stop responding entirely and confess to Nick that Belinda was actually hot on their trail. But at the same time, she was sick and tired of running away from this, letting Belinda scare her with threats of exposure, unreasonable demands. She was going to resolve this on her terms. No one else was going to get hurt.

So even though she stopped responding to Belinda’s messages, she took the rest of the month to come up with a plan, to end this once and for all.

“Baby girl, what’s this I hear about you in your birthday suit in there?” JC’s voice cut through her thoughts. “I’m coming in!”

Tasha scrambled to get up and pull the robe that was hanging from the closet next to her. Even though JC was like a brother to her, no way was he going to see her in her underwear, perv that he was.

She caught Allie hiding a smile as she pulled some seams loose on the bustier.

“Allie, my beauty, my love, where are you hiding our superstar?” JC asked smoothly, walking through the room unapologetically.

Tasha came out from the walk in closet and tied her robe closed. “C, stop torturing the poor girl. It’s bad enough she blushes every time you’re around.”

JC flashed a perfect smile in Allie’s direction. “Relax, Tash. Allie and I have an understanding, don’t we, Al?”

Allie raised an eyebrow amid the blush growing on her cheeks then resumed her work.

JC kept his smile on Allie for a few heartbeats before turning back to Tasha. “What’s this?” he asked, wagging his finger up and down, presumably referring to the silk covered length of her. “I come over because the boys say you’re in your birthday suit and now you’re wearing a robe. Did I walk too slow?”

Tasha smiled and shook her head. “Did you tell the boys to stand down?”

He sighed. “Yes. The four noobs, at least. Thing 1 and Thing 2 are still outside, guarding the door. Now, are you going to thank me by taking off the robe or are we just going to stand here?”

Tasha smiled and kissed him on the cheek. “You’re hilarious. Thank you. And don’t call them Thing 1 and Thing 2. Only I get to call them that. I won the bet, remember?”

He shook his head and mumbled, “You and your genius level Canadian hockey knowledge. So full of surprises.” Looking at his watch, he said. “Nick said he’s on his way. Did he tell you?”

Tasha nodded. “He said fifteen minutes or so.”

He grinned. “Are you excited down in your little happy place?”

She slapped his shoulder. “Don’t be crude.” JC couldn’t help it. Since Nick and Tasha were outed as a couple, JC was all sex jokes and knowing glances. Although he seemed to be genuinely happy for both of them, his ribbing took on an X-rated feel that Tasha brushed off on a good day, but today, with her nerves on edge, was starting to annoy her unreservedly.

“Come on, give a little. Rating how wet your underwear is right--”

“Oh my GOD, JC. Shut up already. I’m crazy tense as it is.”

JC winked. “Nick’ll know how to take care of that.”

“Can we have one conversation where you’re not a gross oversexed fifteen-year-old?”

He grinned and sat down next to Allie by the sewing machine and put an arm around her shoulders. “You know you love it.”

“JC, focus. Is everything ready on stage? Do we know when I’m supposed to go on?”

JC had joined her on the tour when Nick left because one, he was bored, and two, he missed going on tour. He acted as her stage manager-slash-tour manager of sorts when he wasn’t hitting on Allie and partying with Bruno and the Hooligans so his company was well appreciated by Tasha, who was still trying to get used to touring alone.

JC had also been a good confidant, when he wasn’t being an insensitive weirdo, and on nights like tonight, when Tasha was exhausted and just wanted to go home, he was her rock.

He walked up to her and pulled her into a tight hug. “What’s wrong, baby girl? Do you need some time for yoga? You’re not going on for another hour and fifteen. I can tell Bruno you’ll need more time if you want.”

Tasha’s eyes watered inexplicably but she blinked it away as she pulled away from him. “I’m fine. The not seeing Nick part is just getting to me. Is everything set on stage?”

JC nodded. “I was thinking of being on the keys tonight, give one of the guys the night off. Do you mind?”

She smiled. “I never mind. We’re great on stage together, you know that.”

He grinned and put an arm around her. “Good. I have a few curveballs I want to throw your way so stay sharp.”

“You got it, boss.”

His smile faltered a bit. He ran a thumb across her cheek and kissed her forehead. “Tash? Time for some real talk, okay? You know we’ve been on the road together for the last six weeks.”

She nodded.

“And I know something is up with you,” he said in a low voice. “I’m not going to press because it’s none of my business but baby.” He pulled her face up so she looked at him directly. “Whatever it is, make sure you tell Nick, okay? He can help. Whatever it is you’re worried about, whatever you have in your head, Nick WILL make it all better okay? I’ve never seen a man as devoted to another woman as he is with you.”

God, he was really determined to make her cry, wasn’t he? “Shut up. You’re ruining my makeup,” she said, pushing against his chest and blinking away stupid tears. “Also, you forgot how just two months ago, you warned me against him. Remember that?”

He looked appropriately sheepish. “I know. I’m a tool, aren’t I? I was just...I was looking out for you, that’s all. Nick’s...Nick hasn’t opened himself up to anyone since Faith and although I’m not surprised he opened up to you, I wasn’t sure if it was a temporary thing or if he was going to flake on you again. And you deserve better than that.”

“We’re good for each other, C.”

He smiled and pulled her to his side. “I know that now. That’s why I’m standing here and making sure you knew it too.”

She hugged him tightly. “Thank you, JC. That meant a lot more than you know.”

He smiled and nodded to the door. “Okay, enough drama. Let’s leave Allie to do her work. I want to show you something awesome I found in Bruno’s dressing room. Come on.”

*********

“Dammit, JC, pull it out. Pull it out. Pull it out!” Tasha screamed as Nick walked through the backstage hallways of the arena. He had just arrived at the venue minutes ago and set out to find his girl when he heard the familiar annoyed voice.

JC sounded more amused. “Tasha, stop fidgeting. I can’t---okay now we’re going to have to take off your robe.”

Nick didn’t know whether to laugh or really, just run to them. Clearly they’re caught in an...odd situation. Yeah, he’ll go with odd.

“JC, you shit. Now it’s stuck in my cleavage.”

“You need to calm down. Just wrap your fingers around it and pull.”

“I can’t, it’s too big and squishy. Goddammit, JC, I have to be on stage in an hour!”

“Maybe we need lube?”

Nick’s smile widened as he turned to the hallway where Tasha’s voice was coming from. And he barely controlled himself from bursting out laughing when he saw his beautiful girl jumping around with a snake around her shoulders. A giant snake, from the looks of it.

“JC, if this thing crushes my boobs, I’m going to kill you.” Tasha said through gritted teeth as she stood still and glared at JC standing a foot from her, presumably thinking of the best way to help but clearly enjoying her discomfort.

The closer he came to the duo, the clearer the saw the issue at hand. The albino boa (yes it was massive) that was wrapped around Tasha’s shoulders had started making its way down the front of her robe.

Nick came up behind her and said, “Tash, stay still. Let me...”

At the sound of his voice, Tasha stood stock still as Nick pulled the heavy reptile off her and nodded to JC. The other man gestured to him to bring it over.

It took a few minutes but he eventually lifted the snake off Tasha and into JC’s ready arms.

Tasha released the breath she was holding and swore to JC like it was her job. “You little shit starter that snake was going to fucking kill me what would you do if I died and I still have a goddamn bucket list what if I die without ever having kids you moron.”

Nick swallowed a chortle of laughter as he pulled the angry Tasha to his side before she launched herself onto an already laughing JC.

Burying her face onto Nick’s shirt, she mumbled, “Issotfunggy.”

Nick promptly lost it and let out a loud laugh. “What, baby?” he asked, pulling her away from him.

Her face still adorably flushed, she frowned up at him. “It’s not funny. You.” Her frown changed to a glower. “You need to fire him, not laugh with him.” She pushed against Nick and transferred her glare to JC. “I ALMOST DIED.”

“My love, I would never...” JC said before bursting out laughing again. “I’m sorry, but Tash, the terrified look on your face was just the best ever.” He started walking to her but she put her hand up.

“No. Stay away from me until you have that...that SNAKE locked in a cage or something.”

“Tash, come on. This one is friendly. And old. She probably wanted to snuggle. Her name’s Banana. Come on. You can pet her.”

Tasha blinked. “Her name is Banana?”

JC nodded. “Some even call her Princess Banana.”

“Get out.”

“She’s also fourteen years old. She was the same snake Britney danced with at the VMAs in 2001.”

Nick shook his head as Tasha gasped. She even tentatively pushed off him and walked cautiously to JC, her initial terror forgotten. “No way.”

“Way, baby girl. Want to pet her?”

Her voice lowered to an awed whisper. “Can I? Did I piss her off?”

JC shrugged, his eyes twinkling over at Nick. “She’s fine. Come on. Should I put her on your shoulder again?”

Tasha’s stance changed immediately. “Don’t you dare. I will cut you.”

Nick pulled her back to him again. “Tash, just...come here. Stay away from the snake.” Turning to JC, Nick asked, “Where the hell did you get that thing?”

“Bruno’s dressing room. He’s changing up a part of his show and will do a Britney Spears sketch at some point tonight and he wants it to be authentic for the last night of the tour.”

Nick shook his head. “You’re kidding.”

Tasha had been on the Bruno Mars sold out tour as an opener for the last six weeks and they were wrapping up the day before Thanksgiving. It was a great coincidence that the last night of the tour was in LA, because one, Nick couldn’t stand being away from Tasha for another day and two, it gave Nick a chance to plan a big surprise for her. Okay, maybe two big surprises.

“C, just go. Take Banana back to Bruno or wherever she’s supposed to be. Tasha needs to get ready for the show.”

JC just shrugged and walked away, Banana on his shoulders.

Nick turned to Tasha who was staring after JC with a look of confusion in her eyes. “Tash?”

“I feel like I need a shower and a hug from a snake at the same time. What is wrong with me.” She shook her head and shook her shoulders loose before turning back to Nick.

He smiled at her slowly. “Do you want a list or...”

Her eyes narrowed to slits before landing a punch on his arm.

Nick’s smiled warmed as he pulled her to him for a hug. “Come here, Sugar Ray and give your boyfriend a proper hello.”

She smiled as his head lowered to hers. “Ooh, illicit kissing in a public hallway. My manager would not approve.”

“Your manager is an asshole.” Nick said as his thumb spanned Tasha’s lower lip. “Him and I, we’ll have words.”

With a smile, their lips both connected and an audible sigh came from Tasha as she put her arms around him.

God he missed her. Six weeks was too long to spend apart, especially when they had just gotten together. He missed the way she clutched his waist whenever they kissed, the sexy purring sound that came from the back of her throat when they first kiss, the way she burrowed against him, like she couldn’t get close enough.

If only they weren’t in a public hallway.

“Okay, that was way better than Skype kissing,” she whispered when he pulled away.

Nick laughed. “Touching you after six weeks is better than anything, sweetheart.”

“Even bacon?”

Nick paused. “Maybe not bacon.”

She play-punched him in the arm again.

Nick could not keep the smile off his face. “I missed you.”

She touched his face gently and kissed his nose. “Psh. I’m all over you here. I missed you more.”

Nick narrowed his eyes suspiciously. “This feels competitive. Why are we competitive?”

“Blame Leigh. She has me on a tweet-spree to campaign for a number one record. I feel like I’m in a boxing ring with Taylor Swift and I’m THIS close to knocking her out.”

Nick smiled and kissed her forehead. “Been watching boxing with the bodyguards?”

She sighed and rested her head against his chest. “Those boys are serious about their sports. Can we switch Thing 2 with a girl Thing 2?”

“First of all, why are you still calling them Thing 1 and Thing 2? It’s Terrence and Ryan, you know.”

“They lost a bet. I get to call them Thing 1 and Thing 2 until after tonight’s show because they massively underestimated my knowledge of hockey. I was in Canada for four years after all. I can recite the starting lineup of all Canadian teams for three seasons.” She looked up at him. “So can I? Switch Thing 2 with a girl Thing 2?”

“Maybe. We’ll talk about it when we finalize your promo schedule.” He pulled her closer again. “Excited for your last show?”

She sighed. “I’m more excited to be getting home. No offense to Bruno and his crew but being away from everyone I know gets pretty lonesome.” She flattened her hand on his chest. “Also, everyone around me are boys. Except when Bruno dresses up in drag, of course. And then I get some girl time.”

Nick smiled and dropped another kiss on her lips. “You do realize that when we get back home to the Compound, you’ll STILL be surrounded by boys. Erm, men, I mean.”

“Yeah but at least Leigh will be around occasionally. That is, if she hasn’t quit after my YouTube shenanigans.” She looked at Nick hopefully.

He knew he should’ve looked stern. After all, that whole YouTube debacle from the week before was the reason for their most recent fight. But he couldn’t. The memory of it just made him smile wider.

Let’s backtrack a bit.

There was no denying that the last two months have been good to Tasha. After the crazy events surrounding the almost-release of the sex tapes as well as the fire, Tasha had determinedly moved forward, embarking on a two week solo tour along the west coast. Her notoriety from said events heightened the public’s curiosity, resulting in fantastic ticket sales and more press than both Nick and Leigh could have ever imagined.

To distract her growing fan base from the negative press, Tasha had taken to social media, talking to a few followers on Twitter every day, posting crazy photos on Instagram during her tour and updating her YouTube page with a tour diary-esque video every week as well as new covers, especially while she was on the road.

The offer to join the Bruno Mars tour came just as her sold out solo tour was about to end. Bruno’s interest in her peaked when the demand for live performances of the YouTube-only single he’d collaborated with Tasha grew leaps and bounds. It made sense to tour with him, especially since their song was getting unprecedented amount of radio play and iTunes downloads.

The invitation was serendipitous. Although, initially, Nick was totally adamant about keeping Tasha close so he could protect her, he also needed an opportunity to keep Tasha distracted and away from the Compound while he and Damon worked with the police to figure out who started the fire and finally track Belinda down. Johnny Finkel was released a few days after Tasha started her solo tour because the police didn’t have enough solid evidence to hold him responsible for the fire. Belinda was now next on the suspect list. She seemed to have disappeared, however, and Nick’s two private detectives and even Jeffrey Callaghan’s influence in the White House couldn’t get Belinda’s true coordinates.

So in spite of his initial hesitation at letting her tour alone, Nick decided the best thing to do was to keep Tasha distracted. He put her on a fancy tour bus and gave her an exhausting interview and promotion schedule, including all the social media commitments Leigh had imposed. At the end of the day, not only was Tasha’s focus solely on her career but away from worrying about the investigation.

A week into the Bruno Mars tour, Nick knew their decision to put Tasha on a massive tour such as this was the right one. Not only is every single review of her opening set raving about her talent, her quirkiness and how well she complemented Bruno and the Hooligans, she was also blossoming under the spotlight. It was beautiful to watch.

She was getting so comfortable in the spotlight that every show, her cameo on Bruno’s actual sets grew as well. She started with just a duet with Bruno for their song “Candlelight” but in the last week, she’d actually been invited to play acoustic on some songs, sitting on stage next to Bruno while they shared jokes and talked about anything and everything in front of a charmed crowd.

So her audience grew, and Tasha got so excited at her increased YouTube activity, she became bolder and bolder with her video posts. One night last week, after a particularly raunchy Skype session with Nick, she decided to play loose with a Gnarls Barkley cover and taped it topless with just her guitar covering the more...sensitive parts of her chest.

Arguably it was tastefully done, with some colourful commentary from her about how beautifully crazy her tour life had become.

“I’m topless not because I’m making a sexual statement. I’m topless because I can’t find my bra and my pile of laundry is so massive it’ll make me cry to go through it. Also, coz rock and roll!”

In no time, her cover of Crazy hit a million views, was featured on rollingstone.com and was the talk of morning talk shows.

Nick had been angry once he found out, mainly because they were attracting the specific kind of press he’d been keeping her away from. Partly, he was mad because she was his. It didn’t matter how cool her fans thought the video was. He was pissed, and told her so over the phone.

“Take the video down, NOW Tasha,” he said, his voice frosty and strained from trying not to yell over the phone.

“I will not. You haven’t even seen the whole thing.”

“I don’t need to see it. You were goddamn naked!”

“Half.”

“What?”

“Half naked. And I covered what needed to be covered. Jesus Nick, it was cute, funny. TASTEFUL. Have a sense of humor.”

“Tasha, for god’s sake, think about your image! You’re launching your album in a month. You don’t need negative publicity. We can’t--” Nick stopped abruptly and held his tongue.

“Can’t what, Nick? Clean up another one of my messes? Is that what you were going to say?”

“No.”

“I don’t believe you. Call me back when you decide to be honest with me.”

This fight went on for two days: over the phone, on Skype, over text messages. Leigh had threatened to quit over both of their theatrics. “I am not babysitting you kids anymore. If you don’t agree on what we’re going to do, I’m going to move to Hawaii and sell you both out to the tabloids.”

JC’s contribution to the discussion was a nonchalant “Not my problem.”

That left Nick without ideas.

“It would save us a whole lot of arguing if you just watch the damn thing, Nickolas,” Tasha’s last acerbic voicemail made him cringe. “You need to start listening to me. And trusting me. We’re supposed to be a team here.”

Four days after the video was revealed to the public, Nick sat down and watched it, in all its four minute glory.

It was heartfelt, it was light, it was all Tasha. And she was right. There was nothing deliberately offensive or too revealing about it. If anything stood out, it was Tasha’s bright shiny personality, her quirky, her vulnerability.

Tasha gave him a throaty laugh when he tried not to stumble over his apology over the phone. “Nick, for the nth time, stop apologizing and tell me we’re good. Are we good? Because I miss the phone sex. For real.”

And that was Tasha. Never holding a grudge, always understanding but always put up a fight when she needed. And too goddamn charming for her own good.

Which brought them back to now.

HIs arms around her, he inhaled the smell of coconuts from her hair. Six weeks was too long to be apart, he realized. Especially since they were so new.

“Nick?”

Distracted, he murmured, “Hmm?”

“You know I love cuddling. You’re a master cuddler. But we need to start moving, babe. I have an hour before I go on stage.” She frowned as she said it. “I think I smell like snake. Smell me. What do I smell like?”

He buried his nose against her hair. “Coconuts. And...” He pulled back and gave her a quizzical look. “Wait. Did you fall off the wagon, Ms. Vegetarian? Why do I smell barbecue sauce on you?”

She mumbled something like “Goddamn boys on the bus” but he wasn’t sure.

Tasha looped her arm around his waist and checked to see if her robe was still in place. “I need a shower.” Looking up at him, she smiled slyly. “Want to help scrub my back?”

He raised an eyebrow. “Do you really think I can hop in a shower with you after six weeks of not seeing you and expect me to be done with you in under an hour? Not happening, gorgeous.”

Tasha shook her head and leaned against his chest laughing. “Honestly. Longest six weeks ever.”

He dropped a kiss atop her head and tucked her to his side. “Okay, no more naughty talk from you. Let’s get you showered and dressed for the stage.” He tilted her head up so her eyes connected with his. “After the show though...you’re all mine.”

Tasha, smiling, stood on tiptoes and kissed him right on the lips. “Promises, promises.” With a barely audible sigh, she pulled away, grabbed his waist and started walking.

“So, everything’s alright?” he asked, arm around her shoulders, looking down at her distracted face. “You seemed tense on the phone.”

Her shoulders loosened and she leaned into him. “Yeah. I just needed a hug from you, that’s all. And I’ve been looking forward to Thanksgiving for weeks.”

“Good. I have been too. I have a few surprises for you.” They reached her dressing room and he paused before opening the door.

She looked intrigued. “Really. What kind of surprise? Does it involve you and me and some homemade caramel sauce? Because I have really fond memories of the last time that happened,” Tasha said with a sly smile, wiggling her eyebrows.

Beyond the door, a familiar voice called out, “We can hear you, you two!”

Tasha stepped back in surprise.

Nick gave her a reassuring smile and entwined her fingers through his. “Come on.”

He opened her dressing room door and they were greeted with loud cheers and a room full of smiling raucous people.

Tasha’s hand went on her throat in shock. As he pulled her in, every single one of them wouldn’t stop cheering: Leigh, Damon, Howie and the rest of the boys, Rochelle and the rest of the wives. Bruno Mars and his Hooligans were the loudest of all, right next to Tasha’s touring band.

It was a room full of love and all of it was for her.

He leaned down and whispered in her ear, “Welcome home, baby.”

Her grip tightened in his as the crowd parted and she could finally see his real surprise.

“Daddy.”

With tears unreservedly flowing, she let go of Nick and flew into her smiling father’s waiting arms.