- Text Size +

 

Chapter 6

Tasha smoothed the loose gypsy top she layered over her tank and tights and thanked the Lord for small favours, like showers and the iron in her closet.

She was going to be a few minutes late to dinner but at least she looked presentable.

She was just closing the door to her room when she spotted a small figure sitting by the child-proofed staircase.

And she guessed that was Matty, dressed in matching blue shirt and shorts, blue shoes and socks and, well, blue hands.

“Hi there.” Tasha approached the child slowly from the other side of the partition. “Whatcha doing?”

Matty looked up from playing blue playdough and saw an unfamiliar face, but instead of being afraid, he smiled brightly.

There was no doubt whose son he was now.

“Dow?” he asked, “Matty dow pancays?"

She loved baby talk. “Do you want to go downstairs, sweetie?”

“Yeah. An pancays.”

“You want pancakes? I don't know if your dad...”

He shook his head vehemently. “Daddy no pancays. Nooooo. I dow?”

She held out her hand and said, “I can bring you down but I can't say yes on the pancakes.”

“Okay. Dow okay.” He stood up, dropped his play dough and held both his hands up. “You caw?”

She laughed and carried him down the stairs to the kitchen. He was a talkative little...well, smurf. At some point during their descent to the kitchen, she was sure he was talking about an explosion in the kitchen and how his hair was burning. What an imagination.

Nick was running in from the patio when he saw the two of them.

“There you are.” He picked up his little boy from her hands. “I’m so sorry, Tasha, I was just on my way up to get him.”

“Oh it wasn’t a problem. I saw him playing by the stairs and he said he wanted to go down for pancakes? So I brought him down.” She smiled when Matty crinkled his nose. “He’s chatty, this one.”

Nick grinned. “Oh he’s only chatty with the ladies,” he announced with a wink to Tasha. “Aren’t you, buddy.”

Matty rubbed his eyes. “I pancays Daddy.”

“It’s dinnertime, Matty, pancakes are for breakfast. I’ll make some tomorrow, okay?”

Matty’s blue eyes widened comically. “No, Daddy, no! You no pancays!”

Nick gave his son a dry look. “I thank you for the wonderful endorsement of my cooking.”

Matty nodded as if understanding. “Wecom! I wuv you, no you pancays.”

“But who do you want making your pancakes then? Damon can’t cook.”

“Nooo Damon nooo. Bun haw,” Matty pulled on his own blonde curls. “Owie.”

“Oh Matty, he burned your hair one time making pancakes. One time.”

“No. Owie. No Damon pancays.”

“So who then?”

Matty’s eyes brightened. “Mickey? Yummy pancays.”

“Oh no, Mickey Mouse doesn’t cook pancakes, baby.”

“Unca C?”

“In a kitchen? Oh no way. Who else?”

“Mok?”

“Mike?” Matty was referring to one of the other security guys in the Compound. “Matty, he’s worse than Damon. Who else?”

His little blue pointer finger rested on his bottom lip, seemingly contemplative. “I unno, Daddy.” He looked around and saw Tasha’s amused face. He beamed. “Pancays?”

Nick groaned. “Tasha’s not here to cook for you, Matty. She’s our guest.”

Matty blinked his innocent blue eyes at Tasha and asked, “Pwetty, pancays Matty? I hug?” He then opened his arms to her.

Nick’s eyes widened. “Oh you little pimp. Who taught you that move?”

Tasha burst out laughing at the absurdity of it all.

“JC, you A-S-S, get in here! What have you been teaching my son?” Nick shouted as Tasha gladly picked up Matty for his offered hug.

“I would love to make you pancakes, little man. What’s your favourite?” Tasha cooed as she settled into Matty’s tight embrace. “I make really good chocolate chip ones. With Mickey Mouse ears. And a little nose like yours.”

At the mention of ears and noses, Matty pulled away and looked at her happily. “I wuv you,” he declared before hugging her again.

And this, in this moment, was perfection.

**********

Nick shook his head and laughed out loud with JC, who walked in just in time for Matty’s declaration of love over Mickey Mouse pancakes.

“That smile, that charm, is all you, Nick,” JC declared with a smirk. “I had nothing to do with it.”

Nick shook his head again and smiled wider. Moments like these were why he was happy to be a dad.

“...and Mickey an Minnie an Donawd an Daiwy,” he heard his son say. He better nip this in the bud before he asked for OTHER cartoon character pancakes as well.

“Tasha, you are wonderful for agreeing to do this but really, he’ll probably forget about pancakes in the morning.”

She shook her head. “No, it’s cool. I love making pancakes. And besides, I have to earn my keep somehow.”

Nick smiled. “Tasha, come on, you’re doing ME a favour by flying down here. Making you cook is not on the agenda.” Moving forward to take Matty off Tasha’s hands, he said, “Matty, did you say thank you to Tasha?”

The boy nodded and then shook his head. “Tan Tash.”

“You’re welcome, Matty.” Tasha brushed back some of the little boy’s curls as he settled into his Dad’s arms. “Oh boy, Nick, this little dude is lethal.”

“Oh wait until the party tomorrow. Nick got him a tux.” JC moved forward and smiled as he held out his hand to Tasha. “Hi, I don’t think we’ve met. I’m JC. I’m Nick’s brother-in-law.”

Tasha looked over and smiled automatically but faltered when she recognized him. “Nice to, um, hi.” Red suffused her cheeks and damn if she couldn’t help her blush. “Wow, is it hot in here or is it just me fangirling?”

JC grinned. “You’re adorable. Tasha, is it? Come here and give me a hug.”

Her eyes widened as she hugged the other man back. “Goodness, my sixteen-year-old self is happy as a clam.”

“I may just break out some ‘Tearin’ Up My Heart’ moves just for you,” JC teased.

“Oh please do.” Tasha laughed and gave him another hug.

“When you both are done fawning over each other,” Nick injected as he walked out to the patio with Matty. “Dinner’s ready. And Tasha, we can talk business while we eat.”

As Nick set Matty down, the little boy promptly pulled on Tasha’s arm and led her to sit right next to him on the table.

“So, Tash,” Nick looked up at her as he helped Matty onto his high chair. “Can I call you Tash?”

She nodded as JC filled her wine glass. “Thanks JC.”

“Are you ready for tomorrow night? Is there anything we can do to help you prep?” Nick asked as he grabbed Matty’s bowl and set it in front of him.

“I think I’m okay, I just need a run through and sound check before the show tomorrow so I’m good. You got my set list, right? I brought my backing tracks with me so I can get that cued before the show tomorrow.”

JC shook his head. “Oh you don’t need backing tracks, we have a band playing tomorrow and I’ll back you up on keys.” He leaned back on his chair. “Nick just showed me your set list, and it looks solid. Do you have time to go through it after dinner with me in Nick’s studio?”

She nodded. “Of course.”

“I was showing JC your videos before you came down and JC has some great ideas for arrangements for tomorrow. Hopefully you can both pull something together.” Nick smiled and passed the veggies to JC.

“So what should I expect exactly? How many people will be watching?”

 

“So the showcase is actually an industry mixer of sorts. A small one, about eighty or so people from the industry. Nothing too big.” Matty started pushing his food away so Nick redirected his attention. “Matty, come on, you need to eat.”

“No. I fih,” he declared, pushing the bowl of vegetables away. “Fih.”

“Don’t let the number fool you, though,” JC added. “This mixer brings together some pretty important music folks in the country. And then some. Who’s on the guest list tomorrow, Nicky?”

“Aside from my boys and yours?” He paused. “Pharell RSVP’d and so did Jay-Z. David Guetta is spinning for us before the show starts and I think a few of the New Kids are in town and dropping by. AJ mentioned Pink and Katy Perry coming as well. Oh and I invited some of my guys from Nashville, Keith Urban and Dan & Pat from the Black Keys.”

Tasha looked ready to pass out in shock. “I’m sorry, did you say SOME of the New Kids are coming?”

Nick raised an eyebrow while fighting a smile. “Really? Out of all those names, New Kids is what you get out of it? Really?”

Tasha laughed. “Did I forget to mention I’m a pretty hardcore boyband fanatic?” She paused. “Or I was. But meeting you both has got me regressing to my teen years. For shame.”

“Just because of that, we’re not telling you which of the New Kids are coming. You’re going to have to find out for yourself tomorrow.” JC crossed his arms. “And don’t bother trying to get it out of us. Nick and I are immune to gorgeous smiles. Right, Nick?”

“Speak for yourself,” Nick laughed. “Tasha, for that smile, you can ask me anything.”

And just when Nick thought she couldn’t blush anymore. She was so easy to tease.

“ANYWAY.” Tasha’s eyes flashed with annoyance as she downed her glass of wine. “Says the flummoxed young singer, trying to change the subject.”

Nick grinned. “Ah, breaking out the five dollar words, are we, Tash?”

“I think you made her uncomfortable, Carter.” JC smiled as he filled her glass with more wine. “Let’s talk about plans. Your future. This weekend. Nick?”

Nick stood up and waved to Damon, who was eating his dinner by the kitchen. “Thanks, C.” He carried his plate to the seat next to Tasha and sat down. “So I do have ulterior motives for bringing you down here.”

Tasha leaned back on her seat, curious. “Not just for the showcase?”

He shook his head. “The showcase was pure dumb luck. But I wanted to give you a taste of, well, life, really, if you signed with our label. And with me.”

Tasha’s face registered surprise, doubt and general bewilderment in a span of seconds. “Say that again?”

“Remember when I said that the showcase was an audition for you? For the label?” Nick smiled as she nodded. “Well this weekend is an audition for me too. I’m hoping before you leave Malibu, I can convince you to sign me on. As your manager.”

Her mouth dropped open. “You can’t….I’m sorry. What?”

“I’ve done some research on you while I was in Baltimore. You have phenomenal talent but you perform at Carlton lounge two weeks out of four. Those times you’re there, the lounge sees a spike in attendance and frankly, most of the bar revenue for the month they get when you’re on stage. You are charming, beautiful and own a sound that we haven’t heard before. You have a fantastic YouTube following but never went out of your way to audition for shows or accept any invites to tour with anyone. Why is that?”

She blinked. “I have a day job. I can’t tour because of that and I work at Carlton because it gives me extra income and still keep me working.” Then she shook her head. “And I used to tour with my old band before. It’s not all it’s cracked up to be.” She crossed her arms over her chest to gain some control over her growing excitement. “Why are you doing this? Why me?”

JC spoke up. “Because you’re the real deal. We’ve never seen a talent like you anywhere. Because you’re fresh and sound just like someone who can get millions of records sold in mere minutes. Frankly, if Nick hadn’t seen you first, I would’ve gotten you to sign with me so quick, your head will spin. And so would all of the industry people seeing you tomorrow.”

“We’re not saying it’s not going to be a lot of hard work and touring and promos but you’ll have the backing of my management company at your disposal as well as the label. You can quit your job, move to California and we’ll take care of everything. You don’t even have to worry about winning tomorrow. I can pretty much guarantee a record deal right here. All you need to worry about is making music and being amazing.” Nick sat back and tried to read the conflicting messages she was sending. She seemed excited but guarded. What was she thinking?

“Nick, that is a lot to take in. And a lot of promises. You’re not just pulling my leg, are you? Because saying I should sign you as my manager is one thing, but quitting my job and moving to California is a whole other BIG thing.” Her eyes narrowed. “And for all you know, I already have a manager.”

He shook his head. “This is a test, right?” he said, grinning. “I spoke to your manager at the lounge as well as Jason from your old band…Metal Gyros, was it?” JC almost choked on his sea bass. “They both said you’ve turned down representation multiple times because you said you didn’t intend to get any more gigs. But here I am offering you more gigs, more money, more exposure. So yes, you will need legitimate representation.” He shot her a confused look. “Do you want references?”

He could see the gears turning in her head and her hands shaking.

“No, I…” She took in a deep breath. “I know you managed Shawn Desman and Jenny Lewis until three years ago. I know you’re good. And dedicated. I just….”

Nick looked at JC and nodded. JC stood up, “I’ll leave you both to talk. Come on, playa, let’s join Damon inside.”

JC took Matty with him and then, it was just the two of them in the patio.

Nick moved closer to Tasha. “Talk to me, Tash.”

She bit her bottom lip and looked sideways at him. “How much research did you do? On me, I mean.”

“Enough to know you work in advertising for fuck-all pay and live in a boarding house in East Baltimore. And that you’ve lived in Baltimore for a year. Nobody seems to know where you’re from, originally. You went to Georgetown and got a Communications degree, but left to tour with the Gyros right after. I’m still trying to find out details in between, where you went off grid but I figure I can learn those details from you.”

She shook her head. “There’s a reason why I’ve been so private.”

Nick waited and watched as her eyes became guarded again, similar to the look she gave him when he talked to her in Baltimore.

“And you may not want me after you hear it.”

He covered her hand in his and stated firmly, “Nothing you say can make me change my mind.” He smiled. “But I’m here to listen. To anything you want to tell me.”

And then the silence seemed to stretch on for days.