- Text Size +
Chapter 19



Kevin signaled for the other three to crouch low. They had gone over the basics of hunting briefly as they trudged into the woods that morning, but Kevin was a proponent of learning through trying. He didn’t expect any of them to actually make a kill that day, hell; he didn’t even expect all of them to attempt to make a kill that day. Taking an animal’s life was not something everyone was cut out to do.

They were watching a herd of deer. Kevin wanted them to watch their movements, to learn the animals first. They sat low in the brush watching. They had made sure they were standing downwind from the animals and each had spread some dirt over them to help mask their natural smells. Nick didn’t seem to mind the mud, Emma hesitated only slightly before she applied it as well. AJ reluctantly spread it over him; he wanted to be with Emma and Nick. He wanted to prove that he could provide for Emma so when he confessed his feelings she would know what a good man he was.

AJ’s knees were starting to ache from the exhaustion of keeping hidden. They had been watching the animals for what seemed like forever. Lunch was hours ago but he could feel his stomach already start to growl in hunger. He really wished they could actually hunt instead of continually watching. His knees hurt so bad he could no longer take it; he fell backwards onto his ass making a noise loud enough that several animals perked their heads in the hunting party’s general direction.

The deer were obviously spooked and it didn’t take long for them to start moving off in the opposite direction of the hunters. Kevin turned to the group and smiled. “I have spent days in these woods watching and waiting for deer to make an appearance. Getting to view such a large group at the close range we were at was a hunter’s rare delight.”

“Why didn’t you kill one?” Nick asked.

“I am here to teach you to hunt not to make a kill myself.”

“Do you make a kill every day?” Emma wanted to know how many of those beautiful creatures Kevin had killed.

“No, some days you don’t find any animals. Other days you just are unlucky and are unable to make a kill. Shooting an animal or spearing one are not the only ways that we hunt.”

All three looked at the man confused. Hunters used weapons and killed animals, how else was there to hunt. Seeing their confusion Kevin stood holding his hand out to Emma to help her up.

“I’ll show you what I mean.”

They walked in silence, Nick and Emma walked next to each other. They walked close enough that their hands bumped into each other every so often. Emma’s skin tingled each time Nick’s hand brushed her own. She turned and smiled at him.

Nick looked down at Emma and smiled. How he wished he could reach down and take hold of Emma’s hand. The slight touch of her hand was driving him crazy, he wanted to wrap her hand in his and hold it tightly as they walked.

AJ walked a few feet behind everyone, he was tired and hot and sick of carrying his weapons. He wished he could drop them to make his load lighter but he wanted to prove to Emma that he could do this. “Emma,” AJ called out to her and she slowed to walk with him.

“What’s up?”

“Do you really think you are cut out for this?”

“Honestly,” She whispered, “no. I am not sure I could kill one of those animals.”

“Let’s go back?”

“I don’t want to be rude to Kevin. But you go ahead; we’ll see you back at town.” Emma squeezed his hand before jogging to catch up with Nick who had moved closer to Kevin.

AJ stopped walking and watched the other three continue through the woods. He turned and looked around him. He had no idea where he was going and hadn’t really been paying attention as they walked. He sighed and started following the others again, hopefully they would be done soon.

“Here,” Kevin stopped and pointed to an animal hanging in the low branches of a tree. Nick and Emma gasped in surprise. A brown fuzzball was hanging lifeless. “We use a snare and set it on the ground so when the animal triggers it, the noose snaps around the neck of the animal and pulls them up into the trees. If done correctly, the animal is killed instantly and animals that feed off of dead animals can’t reach them in the trees.” Kevin smiled pleased that one of his snares had managed to capture something so he could show the three.

“What are you looking at?” AJ asked as he finally caught up to the rest of the group. Nick pointed to the animal hanging in the trees. AJ looked in the direction Nick was pointing and cringed. He was definitely not cut out to be a hunter.

“Let’s get him and then we will check the rest of the snares.” Kevin walked over to the animal and removed the snare from around his neck. They watched as he reset the snare and carried the animal over to them. The group continued on checking the rest of the snares, they had a few more animals trapped. Kevin showed both Nick and Emma how to set the snare, AJ politely declined.

When they had finished the sun was starting to get low in the sky. “Home now,” Kevin finished filling his sack and turned back in the direction of the town. “Kristen should have something hot for us.” AJ thought he had read his mind; his stomach pains were now unbearable. It was like the first few days he was in the woods after escaping Endwise, except this time he knew they could get a warm meal so his stomach growled louder.

None of the three were really thrilled with hunting. AJ couldn’t stand the long hours crouching in bushes wearing mud. Nick had a hard time focusing on watching for animals, he continually watched Emma instead of watching for animals. Even if she wasn’t around he knew that he wouldn’t be much of a hunter. After seeing the animals, Emma knew she would be unable to kill one to eat unless she was on the run and lost in the woods again.

“One more stop before we go home,” Kevin spoke again when they reached the edge of the town.

Even though the three had decided to themselves they were not hunters, they had not admitted it to each other or to Kevin yet. They went along with him to see the final stop in his day. Kevin brought them to a shed that sat on the outskirts of town.

When he opened the door the stench from inside the building caused all three to turn their heads away. Kevin couldn’t help but laugh at their reaction, it was the same from everyone their first time to the shack. Taking pity on them he decided he could show them the last part outside.

“If you want to hunt you will have to do all parts involved.” Kevin took one of the fuzz balls, which he said were rabbits, out of the bag and laid it on a stump. He pulled the knife out of the sheath on his leg and sliced into the animal. His movements seemed fast but they were meticulous. He soon had the fur removed and the animal cleaned of his innards.

AJ couldn’t take it any longer. He ran to the nearest tree and heaved painfully expelling the water he had drunk after coming out of the woods. Wiping his mouth he returned to see Nick holding Emma close. Her head buried in his chest, Nick’s hands soothing her by running his hands through her hair.

AJ decided that he needed to tell Emma how he felt that night before Nick could make any more of his moves. Kevin let them all go back to his house since none of them would be staying to help him finish what needed to be done with the rabbits he’d brought back.

All three sat staring at the plate in front of them. They had all finished the vegetables and were now staring at the meat sitting on their plates. Kevin still had not returned but Kristen was kind enough to let them in and serve their meal.

“If everyone were meant to be a hunter or a butcher, more people would. It’s good to see the process that is taken to get the animal to the plate though.” She smiled and spooned more vegetables on the plates of all three. They were all silently thankful they had more time to put off eating the meat.

Emma was getting ready for a good night’s rest when she heard Kevin finally come home. If hunters were out days at a time like that she was glad that Nick probably would not become a hunter. She wasn’t sure she’d want to be away from him for that long.

“Emma,” a soft voice called to her outside her door. She smiled broadly as she opened the door thinking she was going to see Nick. Her smile fell only slightly when she saw AJ standing there instead. “Can we take a short walk?”

“Sure,” She moved to the door and stood outside waiting for AJ to close the door to the house quietly. “Is there something you wanted to discuss?”

“I think you know what I want to talk to you about.”

“I do?”

“We shared something in the woods those days before we reached the town. I felt it, I know you did too.” AJ reached down and took hold of Emma’s hand bringing it to his lips and kissing it softly.

Emma stood watching in shock. Had she done something to lead AJ on? She tried to think back to those days and what she might have said or done to lead him on. Nick was the reason she asked them to join her, Nick was the one she couldn’t bear the thought of being on that stage in a few short years. If his friend was the reason he was willing to come with her she was fine with AJ joining but it was always Nick she wanted with her.

“AJ,” She started. Her eyes widened in surprise when she was no longer able to talk, AJ’s lips were pressed against hers and he was holding her body tightly against his.

Finally, she managed to pull away. “I think you misunderstood.”

“Emma, how could you not tell how I have felt about you?”

Emma knew, she was busy trying to get Nick to notice her she hadn’t really noticed AJ as anything more than a friend. “AJ, I don’t feel that way about you.”

“Nick?”

“Yes,” she replied pulling away. “Always has been.” She admitted and watched as AJ’s smile disappeared and angered flashed in his eyes. “Don’t be mad at him, it’s my fault. I should have seen how you felt and let you know sooner.” She tried to take his hand but he pulled it away quickly. Before she could say anything else he turned away from her and started walking away from her.

“AJ,” she called out. She started after him but he started to run and turned down another street.

“It would be better if you just let him go, he’ll get over it. There are plenty of girls here who are intrigued by him and want to get to know him better. He’ll move on.” A voice said from the doorway. Kristen stood just inside holding her stomach with one hand and motioning for Emma to come inside with the other.

“I hope so,” Emma admitted honestly. She did not want to lose the man she’d come to think of as a friend.