- Text Size +
Chapter 9



The day wore on, Nick was glad when the sun started to set. He rolled the sleeves to his shirt up again as the air cooled and the sun no longer felt as threatening. His arms ached as the material ran over his arms but the cool air felt good as a breeze blew across his skin. His mouth was dry and he wet his lips with his tongue as he stopped where he stood, leaning against a tree.

“Here,” Emma handed him the bottle of water and he got enough in him to wet his mouth. There was not much water left and they were all being careful now. “We should stop before it gets too dark.” Emma had thought them lucky that they had not run into any guards yet. She was starting to feel that perhaps they were beyond even the Luminary’s reach.

She passed out the last remaining ration bars. Her stomach settled from the ache of hunger for a few minutes before groaning at her again.

AJ took his time eating his ration bar. He thought about eating part of it now and saving the rest for the morning. He managed to stop himself halfway through his bar and carefully he folded the wrapper around it and placed it in his pocket. He watched Emma across the way with Nick. She was even more beautiful tonight than she had been the night she first spoke with them. At times her attitude was harsh and callous but there were moments when he saw the everyday Emma breaking through the tough exterior he sensed she was putting on for the face of the mission.

He had intended to sit awake with her on the first shift that night; he wanted to see if he could get to know the real Emma more.

“I’ll take first watch,” Emma spoke. AJ knew she would volunteer first; she always took the first watch. He watched as Nick lay down, tossing around in an attempt to get comfortable but soon his even breathing indicated he was asleep. AJ crept along until he was standing next to Emma; carefully he sat next to her.

“You should sleep.” She said adjusting her position slightly. “Tomorrow is going to be tough.”

“I can’t,” he lied. He was exhausted. His body desperately wanted him to lie down and sleep but this was the only time he would be able to talk with Emma while Nick was not around. “Do you think we will find what you are looking for?”

When she didn’t respond to his question, AJ tried a different tactic. “How did you get involved with the rebels?”

“I was green and my friend turned blue and was recruited to the guard. Through him I learned the evils of the government.” She hugged her legs to her chest and thought of her friend, he was the closest to family she had and she assumed she loved him like she would love a brother, if families in Endwise were allowed more than one child. She never thought of him as more than a friend though she was sure he loved her as more. She hoped he was still safe. He had risked his life to ensure her mission started well.

“The guard at the wall?” AJ asked and she nodded in response. Emma sighed and shook her head. She didn’t want to talk about her friend anymore, she needed to stay strong and every time she thought of him she worried about what would be done to him if they found out he was a rebel.

AJ could sense that Emma no longer wanted to talk so he sat there next to her. When he saw her shiver he tentatively put his arm around her to keep her warm. When she didn’t shrug it off, he turned his face towards the sky and smiled. Maybe now that he was free from the confines of the laws of Endwise he could finally let himself love.

The searing pain in his arm forced Nick to sit straight up. “What the hell?” he cursed looking at Emma sitting next to him. “What the fuck did you do to me?”

Emma was looking at him perplexed. “I only tapped your arm to let you know that it was time for your shift.” She felt hurt that he had snapped at her. She barely touched him.

Nick’s arms stung like the skin was freshly burned. “Dammit,” he looked down at his arm and even in the light of the moon he could see how red his arms were. When he noticed Emma’s face his own softened. “I’m sorry I yelled at you.” He sighed and sat up rubbing his eyes. “You get some sleep.” He smiled at her and when she smiled back he felt better.

It didn’t take long for Emma to fall asleep, Nick was mildly upset he didn’t have more time to talk to her but he was glad to be alone with his thoughts. He was worried about their current situation, their food was gone and their water would be gone the next day without doubt. If they could not find more food and, especially, more water, their escape would end like the bones they tread upon the day before. He let his mind mull over these thoughts.

“Wait,” he exclaimed loudly then looked around to make sure that his sound of revelation did not wake his sleeping companions. He had thought of it. Those brown fluffy things were living. If they were living in this area there had to be food and water or they wouldn’t be around.

Excited by his revelation, Nick was eager to begin searching. He soon realized it would be too dark to see any those creatures now. He sat staring into the darkness willing the sun to rise in the sky so he could find these animals and how they survive.

~*~



The man sat at a table; a makeshift desk, that sat in the middle of the tent he had the guards erect before the sun had completely disappeared for the night. It was likely everyone with him was still sleeping but he was up, he was always an early riser. He thought this was one of his better qualities; it made being the leader of Endwise that much easier to be awake and aware before many citizens woke and rubbed the sleep from their eyes.

The Luminary reread the words on the papers in front of him. He’d been staring at the same papers for the last hour or so, he was seeing faint light start to creep in through the slight opening of the tent. It would soon be time for the others to arise, eat and continue their hunt; he needed to finish the paperwork now. His mind, however, would not let him concentrate. He couldn’t understand how these three escapees had managed to elude him thus far.

“Sir,” Howie’s voice broke through the silence and he looked up to see his second in command standing at full attention in front of him. Howie had learned to be an early riser, but the Luminary still awoke before him.

“Bring me two men from the advanced team,” He spoke rubbing the bridge of his nose. He watched as Howie exited the tent and pushed open the flap shortly after, two men entering with him.

“These two volunteered.”

“Excellent,” He looked at the blue bands on the men’s arms and smiled. Both were still naïve enough to think that volunteering could prolong their time. He spoke in low tones giving instruction to these two men to head out ahead of everyone else, their job was to find the ones they were looking for and report back to the group where they could find them. They left after receiving their instructions leaving the Luminary alone with Howie once again. They went over the reports for Endwise, this time the Luminary was able to focus knowing soon he would be torturing three people who thought they could get away.

~*~



As soon as Nick saw lightness in the sky he stood and brushed himself off, carefully pulling the sleeves over his arms and putting on his hat made from leaves. He did not need any more damage from the sun. He moved closer to Emma and carefully took the container that held water and put the strap across his chest.

Quietly he sneaked around the area keeping his eyes open for a flash of brown. He was rewarded when he stepped on a twig that snapped under his weight. Several of the animals darted in the opposite direction of the sound. He smiled to himself and with one quick look back in the direction Emma and AJ were sleeping in, he carefully followed the creatures hoping they would lead him to food and hopefully water.
The sun was now lighting the sky completely and Nick knew that soon the others would wake. He had been watching and following the animals for quite a distance now and was afraid he would not succeed, that his energy would be wasted in an unfruitful search.

A smile broke out on his face as he saw one brave animal near a bush with berries on it. Nick knew about several berries that were grown in the agriculture zone and sold for credits in Endwise but he’d never seen any growing wild. He watched as the animal twitched and ate a berry in front of it. They were edible; he had found food. If only he could find water now. Nick moved closer, scaring the animal, and reached for a few berries.

A flash of movement in his peripheral vision distracted him from picking the berries. He spun in the direction of the movement but seeing nothing he turned back to pick some more. Before he had time to react for a second time, a body collided with him toppling him to the ground.

Panic struck Nick, his heart racing as a guard stood looming over him. “Found ya,” the man smirked gleefully. “Your friends should be near, I have a friend too.” He grinned letting it sink in with Nick what he was implying.

The memory of AJ and Emma sleeping soundly came swiftly to his mind and anger flooded through him. He tried to rein in his anger, there were harsh penalties for violence in Endwise and he was used to controlling his anger, but he was no longer in Endwise. Realizing he no longer had to bow to the rules of a city he no longer lived, Nick charged the guard knocking him flat to the ground. Straddling the man, Nick swung his fists at the guard aiming for his gut and face.

A few punches of Nicks’ collided with the man but having never learned how to fight; the guard easily shoved Nick off, kicking him to the ground. Instinct had Nick rolling into a ball and putting his arms across his face to protect his face and stomach. His arms hurt like nothing he’d felt before as the man held him down and punched him a few times. He could feel the pressure of the guard’s knee in his side.

“No,” Nick groaned as the man continued to punch him.

“If you think this is bad, the Luminary will do worse.” The man actually cackled after he told Nick this. “I hope he will reward me with some private time with the female blue before he gets to her.” He bragged.

Nick couldn’t stand the thought of this man touching Emma. Using all his weight he was able to knock the man off of him and to the ground. He stood and braced himself as the guard stood and charged at Nick again. Nick felt himself being slammed up against a tree but this time, with images of this man putting his hands all over Emma, his punches flew at the guard with more force. Blood trickled from the other man’s nose and Nick could taste blood in his own mouth from the hits he was receiving.

Nick could feel the man using his weight to hold him against the tree, attempting to hold both arms down with one arm, the guard reached to his side where Nick knew he held his weapon. Nick pushed the man hoping he could use the tree to give him extra leverage, but it was too late. Nick felt the cold metal at his throat, the guard smiling with triumph.

A loud noise rang out disrupting the silence. Nick and the guard stared wide eyed as blood sprayed over both of them.