- Text Size +

Big Girl Now

Chapter 3

Marley’s Point of View

What possessed me to say yes to Donnie? I’ll never really know. After spending an evening walking around the city with him, I had fallen in love with Donnie again. This time it wasn’t a school girl crush. I wanted him. I wanted him bad.

I wasn’t the type of girl Donnie needed in his life. Once he found out about my past, he’d want nothing to do with me. I needed to keep my distance but I was finding that hard to do.

We were sitting in Starbucks drinking coffee. I excused myself to the bathroom. I didn’t realize that Donnie had followed me until his hand was on my back. He pushed us into the bathroom and locked the door.

“Don….” Was all I uttered before his lips were on mine. My mind was spinning and my heart was racing. Donnie’s lips were like magic. The way he kissed made me never want to stop. I wrapped my arms around his neck as he pushed me into the wall. His tongue licked my lips causing me to open them slightly. He probed his tongue in my mouth. My body betrayed me again, as our tongues started battling.

“Grace that was amazing. Did you feel the electricity between us?” Donnie’s voice was raspy. He clearly was still breathing hard.

“Donnie, I don’t know if this is such a good idea.” The words fell from my mouth. It wasn’t what I was thinking or feeling at the moment. All I wanted to do was take him to my apartment and have him fuck me senseless.

“Grace, I’m attracted to you. I have since the first day of rehearsal.”

A customer knocked on the door, interrupting our conversation. I was glad for the disturbance. I pulled away from Donnie and walked out. I didn’t even care about the stares I was receiving from patrons. When I got outside the cool air hit my face. Then I realized Donnie wasn’t behind me.

Halloween 1991

Chad, Donnie, Mark, and Jordan were all hanging out in the living room when I came home from school. Hating boys was on the top of my list. This included the ones sitting around laughing and having fun.

I threw my backpack on the chair and walked to the backyard. Today was the worst day ever at school. To top it off, it was my birthday.

“You didn’t need to throw your book bag on me.” His voice had a friendly tone to it. Of all the guys in the house, why did he have to come talk to me? Chad probably sent him since he knew about my crush on Donnie.

“I didn’t mean to.” I said quickly and went back to ignoring him. We stood on the porch in silence for a few minutes.

“Marley is something wrong? You seem upset.” He walked over to me. Slowly he took me by the arm and sat us down on the porch swing.

“I’m fine. Why are you trying to be so nice to me?” I didn’t want to be bothered. I just wanted to wallow in the pitifulness of my life.

“You’re Chad’s kid sister. I think you’re a nice girl. Are you still taking those ballet lessons?”

I was surprised that he remembered that I was a dancer. Donnie was an international pop star. Why would he waste his valuable time talking to his friend’s little sister. “Yes.”

“I bet you are a beautiful dancer.” He smiled at me.

“Thanks. Sorry I was being bitchy a few minutes ago. It’s been a sucky day. Not the way I wanted to feel on my birthday.”

“Happy Birthday, Marley.” He placed a kiss on my cheek. “You’re growing up. I remember when you born.”

I cringed at his comment. He laughed. I felt comfortable around him. “Donnie, what’s it like to kiss someone?” 

“Well the first time is very awkward, especially if you like the person you’re kissing.”

“Oh.” I said dejectedly.

“Mar, is there a boy you like?” He smiled at me. I was so embarrassed talking about this to Donnie. My face turned red. “Oh I think you like someone.”

“No. It’s just all my friends have kissed boys and I haven’t. They were teasing me about it.” I said with my head down. The truth came out. He was so easy to talk to.

“Don’t be embarrassed. You’ll find plenty of guys that will want to kiss you. You’re a beautiful young lady. Look at me.”

I looked up at Donnie and into his brown eyes. My heart melted. Donnie brought his face towards mine. No, there was no way he was going to kiss me. His lips were an inch from mine, when I slowly licked my own. Gently, he placed his lips on mine. The kiss was slow and tender. It wasn’t awkward at all. It was perfect.

“Why didn’t you run after me?” I asked when he walked out and stood by me.

“I figured you needed some time to cool off.”

“You’re not that hot Donnie.”  I said in mock-seriousness.

“That hurts.” He chuckled. “Grace, I meant what I said inside. I’m attracted to you.”

I started walking away, but he continued to follow. Damn his determination. “Donnie, I’m not the type of woman you want to get involved with. Plus we work together. You’re kind of my boss. It wouldn’t look right.”

“Us working together has nothing to do with this. How do you think Danny met his wife? She was our costumer. The rules of business don’t apply in the world of music.”

Donnie was the type of man that wouldn’t take no for an answer. My heart wanted to get involved with him. My mind knew that I couldn’t for obvious reasons. Why did I put myself in this position?

“I’m a follow the rules kind of girl. This just wouldn’t work.”

“Grace, I’m not asking you for a relationship or your hand in marriage. How about just a date? Let’s take some time to get to know one another. You’re such a mystery to me.”

Once he got to know me, Donnie would want nothing to do with me. Maybe I shouldn’t be dancing on this tour. It had only been a week of rehearsal and I was causing trouble.

“I’m not much of a mystery. What you see is what you get.” Why did I say that? I knew Donnie was going to say something.

“And I really like what I see. Can’t you just give me one chance to prove I’m worthy of dating a woman like you.” Donnie begged. I had to admit he was certainly charming. Nothing had changed all these years.

“That should be the other way around. I’m the one who has a lot to prove to you. My life hasn’t been easy.  I’m not like the other women you’ve dated.”

“Good, that’s why I find you so attractive. You aren’t all over me. Hell, half the time I don’t even think you like me. I’d find that hot and refreshing.” He pulled me into his arms. I love being wrapped up in him.

“Oh, I like you enough.” Against my better judgment, I decided to give in. It was only one date. “Fine, you win. I will go on one date with you. Then I’ll be out of your system for good.”

He tilted my face up and kissed me. Once again we got lost in each other. Donnie broke the kiss and said, “I don’t think I’ll ever get you out of my system.”