- Text Size +

Big Girl Now

Chapter 9

Marley’s Point of View

Donnie was getting on my nerves. This whole friendship thing was enough to make me want to smack him. I didn’t want to be his friend. When I was eleven I didn’t view him as a friend. I had the biggest crush on him since I started liking boys.

“Marley are you okay?” Sela, one of the dancers asked.

“Fine and dandy.” I leaned against the building while she smoked.

“I saw you storm away from Donnie’s bus.” She commented. I was embarrassed that anyone saw me stalk off his bus.

“What did he do now to piss you off?” Jon remarked as he joined us.

“He’s afraid to touch me like a woman. Hell, I think you get felt up more from him than I have.”

“He’s a fool. You want me to talk to him?” Jon hugged me.

“No.  I want him to realize what he’s missing on his own. I’m going to head in.”

I walked into the venue and went straight to catering. I figured a doughnut or something would make me feel better. I grabbed a jelly filled one and sat down.

“Hey Marley. Care if I sit down?” Jayson, the drummer of the band asked.

“Sure.”

Jayson was a sweet guy.  Not to mention that he was hot. He stood over six feet tall with dark wavy hair and the greenest eyes I had ever seen. He made a pair of tight jeans look good.

“Why are you all alone?” He smiled at me.

“Just needed some time to think.”

“A beautiful girl like you shouldn’t be sitting all alone.” He smiled at me. “I should see a bunch of guys fighting for your attention.”

It was nice having a guy flirt with me. I wished it was Donnie but that was never going to happen.  I was almost ready to give up on him. Maybe one more chance wouldn’t hurt. Hopefully he could get his head out of his ass long enough to realize that I wasn’t a little girl anymore.

“Flattery will get you everywhere.” I giggled.

Donnie walked into catering and gave me a look. I smiled at him and looked away, giving all my attention to Jayson.

“So, are you planning on going to the after party tonight?” He green eyes sparkled as he talked. I couldn’t stop looking into them.

“Maybe, if you know a certain someone that wants to ask me.” I flipped my hair for effect. I knew Donnie was watching, and I was trying to make him jealous.

“Marley would you like to go to the party with me?” Jayson asked sweetly.

I reached over the table and placed a kiss on his cheek. “I’d love to go with you. I’ll be sure to wear my sexiest dress for you. See you tonight.” Then I walked past Donnie.

I made my way to the bus to pack up my stuff. I was going back to the dancers’ bus. I was almost finished packing, except for deciding which dress I was going to wear tonight, when he walked in.

“What’s going on between you and Jayson?” Donnie stared at me.

“Nothing that concerns you.” I packed my little black dress leaving the red strapless mini dress for tonight.”

“I can’t believe you are going out with him. He’s a womanizer. I forbid you to go.”

My eyes didn’t leave Donnie’s. Did he really think I was going to listen to him? He wasn’t my father. I was over eighteen and free to make my own choices. “You, forbid me?” I started laughing.

“Yes, I’m not going to let some player have his way with you.” He was adamant that he was going to get his way. No one told me what to do.

“For your information, I’m a big girl now. No man will tell me what to do.” I started making my way off the bus.

Donnie had different ideas. He got in front of me and blocked my way. I attempted to push him out of the way, but he was too strong. “I’m not letting you leave until you cancel your date with Jayson.”

“MOVE OUT OF MY WAY!!” I screamed and nudged him out of the way. He grabbed my dress. I pulled it away from him. He heaved it back toward him and that’s when I heard it rip. “You ruined my favorite dress. Thanks a lot. It cost me almost two hundred bucks. Donnie, you’re such an ass.”

The look of remorse filled his face. “I’m sorry Mar. I didn’t mean it. I’ll replace it, I promise.”

“There’s no need. Just leave me alone.” Donnie scooted over so I could make my way off the bus.

I started to make the trek to my bus only to be stopped by Jon. I was in no mood to talk to anyone. I just wanted to be alone.

“What did he do now?” Jon asked with a smirk.

“Why do you assume he did anything? I could be pissed at Danny for all you know.” I huffed. He grabbed my suitcase and we continued walking.

“Because Donnie is the only person who has pissed you off at least a million times since this tour started.” He laughed.

“Don’t be so dramatic, Jon. It’s not funny.” We stopped when we got to the bus.

“You know he’s only acting that way because he’s jealous.”

“I highly doubt that. I’m still the little girl in pigtails. He’s never going to see me for the woman I am.”

“Marley, he does see you that way. He did when you first started dancing with us.” Jon was trying to make me feel better, but it wasn’t working.

“He liked Grace, not me. I’m always going to be just a friend.”

“Donnie’s a stubborn man. It takes him a long time to see things the way they are, not the way he thinks they should be.” Jon explained.

“Well, I’m not going to wait forever. I have a date tonight, and I’m going to enjoy myself whether Donnie Wahlberg likes it or not.”

“Tonight’s after party is going to be fun.” He laughed. I’m glad he found it so funny.

“Good-bye Jon. See ya on the stage.” With that I jumped on the bus.