- Text Size +

 

I knew I was pretty much a coward, running away from my dad rather than facing him. It was pretty shitty of me to leave Donnie to deal with him, but I couldn’t face him.

I couldn’t face being told I couldn’t be with Donnie anymore. So rather than be told that, and suffer for the rest of my life, I decided to run.

It sounded like a good idea at the time, anyways.

I’d walked as far as Central Park before finding myself sat in the park itself, watching the sun go down. It then dawned on me I was alone, it was dark and I had to walk back to the hotel without being spotted.

I somehow managed it, going to my room, getting my stuff and leaving. I didn’t hear no shouting in the hall, or any loud voices for that matter. I just packed my stuff, left my room key at the front desk and left.

I hailed a taxi to New York Penn station and contemplated where I would go. I didn’t have much money.. a hundred dollars or so, and I probably should of invested that in going home, but then I’d had to face my mom. So I got on the next train that was leaving the city. Atlantic City, New Jersey.

I spent the next few days holed up in some dirty hostel type hotel. I never left the room once I arrived, other than to get food. I was too scared I’d come back to find my stuff gone. I pretty much spent my time sleeping and crying. I’d been curious to turn my cell on, which I’d turned off the moment I hit Central Park, wondering if anyone had even tried to contact me.

It was on the fourth day or being in Atlantic City when I was thrown out for not being able to pay the bill. I had 40 bucks to my name, and no where to go.

I walked along the broadwalk, dragging my suitcase behind me and tried to ignore all the people walking past wearing tiny bikini’s and drinking. I wanted to be back in that apartment in New York with Donnie, forgetting everything but us.

I sat on a bench and dug through my bag before finding my cell phone. I took a deep breath before turning it on, and watched it boot up before holding my breath.

16 text messages, 42 missed called and 5 voicemails.

Most of the calls were from my mom and dad, but there were a great deal from Donnie also. I decided to save the voicemails till last and opened the text messages. Only 5 of the texts were from my dad, telling me to get back to the hotel room, then getting progressively angrier the more they went on. I skimmed them before opening Donnie’s messages.

”Where are you baby? Tell me and I’ll come meet you. You don’t have to be scared. X


“I’m worried, call me.”

“I just saw your dad, he says he hasn’t seen you. Where are you? I’ve tried calling and I know you’re cell is off. Call me when you get this.”

“You’ve gone. :( ”

“Baby it’s been a day, your dad is worried sick and so am I. You best be safe. Call me and let me know, or text me or something. Worried.”

“Ok, I’m gonna say it. I love you. I’m scared and worried about you. Call me. X

 

“You’re mom called, she said she you haven’t been home yet. She and your dad were convinced I knew where you are, so I showed him the texts I’d sent you. I’ve convinced your dad not to call the cops, so you best call me!”

The rest of the messages had been from my mom, but I didn’t even read them. I kept reading the same text over and over.

Donnie telling me he loves me.

I came out my messages and went through my contacts, finding Donnie’s number. I could call him and let him know I’m safe. I wanted to hear his voice. I went to hit call when the screen went black.

My battery was dead.

Suddenly I was fighting back tears. I had been stupid to run away. I should have been more grown up and faced my dad, telling him that whether he liked it or not I would be with Donnie.But instead I act like a stupid little girl, running away from my problems.

I needed to get back to New York City.

***

“That’ll be $56.”

I looked at the women in the ticket booth and sighed. “Is there no discounts?”

“Sorry Ma’am. $56, or no ticket.”

I looked at the money in my hand before swallowing hard. I didn’t even have enough money to get back. “I..uh.. I can’t afford that.” I looked up at the woman, but clearly she’d heard enough sob stories and wasn’t fazed.

“Sorry Ma’am. NEXT!” She called out to the next person in the queue, leaving me to grab my case and move away from her window.

I looked around, wondering what the hell I was supposed to do. I could probably get a bus to the city, but I had no idea where the bus depot was. I scanned the people before my eyes stopped on a payphone.

I had enough change to make a call.

I dragged my case over to the payphone and picked up the huge phone book, flicking through the pages before finding the number for the hotel in New York. I shoved a bunch of quarters in the payphone before hurriedly dialling the number.

The snooty voice of the women on the front desk answered, making my heart leap. “Can you transfer me to room 2025 please?”

“One moment.”

I heard the hold tone before the phone started ringing again. I pretty much held my breath and fed the payphone a few more quarters as I waiting for the phone to be picked up.

“Hello?”

I let out a squeak before my emotions got the better of me. I found myself crying rather than speaking.

“Hello? Who is this?”

“D..Donnie…” I choked out, closing my eyes.

“Rosie! Where are you?”

I leant against the phone. “Atlantic City. I can’t get home!”

“Geez Rosie!” Donnie let out a sigh. “Why not?”

“The ticket is $56 and I only have less than $40 now! I’m stuck here and I miss you! I’m sorry…” I bit back a sob, feeling so stupid.

“It’s ok baby… it’s ok. I’ll send you some money, or I’ll come get you..”

“I’m sorry…” I whispered again.

“Ok baby, stay in the station ok. I’ll be a while, but I’ll come get you. Do not move from there. Promise me you won’t leave.”

Beeping in my ear told me the call was ending shortly. “I promise! I promise!!”

“Good girl. I won’t tell your dad, ok. I’ll be there as fast as I can.”

I nodded even though he couldn’t see me.

“I’m so glad you called, Rosie…” The sound of the dial tone hitting my ear made me sigh.

“I love you too.” I whispered before putting the phone back down.

***

I’d been moved from the station after a while. The security in there were convinced I was begging, and even after I told him I was waiting for someone he didn’t believe me. I sat outside the station, watching the sun set and wondered just how long Donnie would be. I was hungry, thirsty, and so emotional.

I’d definitely learnt my lesson. I was never running away again.

Wave after wave of people left the station with each train arriving. I watched hoping that one of them would Donnie, and each time I found myself getting more upset knowing he wasn’t here yet.

I leant against my case and closed my eyes, feeling tired. I knew he’d find me here. I knew Donnie wouldn’t stop until he found me.

Someone touching my arm made me jump and swat them away. I opened my eyes to see two police officers looking at me.

“Sorry Miss, you can’t sleep here.”

I sat up. “I’m waiting for someone.”

“You can’t wait here.”

I felt tears sting my eyes. “But I HAVE to! My cell is dead and someones meeting me! If I leave they won’t find me and I’ll be stuck here!”

“Come on Miss.. you need to move.” The officer looked irritated with me, and it upset me more.

“NO!” I glared at them both before turning my head away.

“Miss, if you don’t leave we’ll have move you ourselves.”

I looked up at them and didn’t even bother wiping the tears away. I slowly climbed off the floor and picked my case up. The officers followed me as I walked away from the station. I felt like I was a trouble maker, or worse when all I was doing was waiting for someone.

They left me when I crossed the street and went back into the station. I stayed where I was, watching the station hoping I’d still be found. Luckily there was a bus stop right there. They couldn’t remove me from there.

I sat down and counted to ten, willing myself to calm down. It was dark now, and the temperature had dropped. I was starting to feel cold, and I only had a thin jacket on.

I watched the people come and go, cars arriving to pick up loved ones, and hotel shuttle buses coming on time to pick up the people heading on vacation.

A black escalade tore into the station car park, making me watch it. Someone was no doubt late for their train, or picking someone up. Two people rushed out the car, and straight into the station. That lost my attention, and I ended up looking at one of the shuttle buses as people climbed off.

Suddenly I heard my name, loud and clear, being yelled out. I stood up and looked towards the station and my heart leapt into my throat when I saw Donnie rushing down the steps. I couldn’t even call out to him, but I could see he had seen me. He rushed across the main road and before I knew it I was in his arms sobbing loudly.

“It’s alright.. you’re safe.. you’re ok.” Donnie soothed my hair down, dropping kisses on the top of my head as I clung to him. I didn’t want to let him go.

“She ok?”

I looked up, hearing a voice I didn’t recognise and saw a guy standing a small distance away from us.

“Yea I think so. Bring the car over.”

The guy nodded and walked away, leaving us alone. I buried my face into Donnie’s chest and breathed him in. His arms were holding me tightly, and I was so glad.

I never wanted him to let me go.

“You scared me so much.” Donnie murmured, moving one of his hands to my chin, tilting my face up to look at him. “Why did you run?”

I sniffled. “I was scared. I didn’t want to lose you..”

“So you ran away from me? Baby you could of given me a heads up, I would of come with you.” He smiled at me, letting me know he wasn’t mad. But it didn’t matter, I already felt stupid.

“I’m sorry..” I choked out, and was pulled back against his chest.

“It’s ok.”

I heard a call pull up beside us before Donnie guided me into the back. He put my case in the trunk before joining me on the back seat. It only dawned on me as I saw in the car that I was in the black escalade.

“You drove here?” I looked at Donnie, who smiled.

“No, flew. Eric is a pilot.”

I looked at the driver of the car before looking back at Donnie. “I thought you were getting a train.”

Eric laughed, making me frown. I sat back in my chair and sighed.

“I did contemplate it. Luckily Eric had offered to fly me wherever you were.”

I looked back over at the back of Eric head and bit my lip. “Thanks Eric.”

“You’re welcome little lady. That guy is nuts about you.”

I looked up at Donnie before smiling a little. “Good, cos I’m nuts about him too.”

Donnie pulled me close and kissed my forehead. I relaxed completely, and found myself fall into the most comfortable sleep I’d had in nearly a week.