- Text Size +

Casa De Backstreet Boys-ah

 

 

 

 

 

Kevin

 

 

 

I sat down at the dining room table with a cup of coffee that I got to make for once. Brian was usually the one in charge of making the coffee and it’s only because he was the one who usually woke first to brew it. He’s really not the best coffee maker in the world. In fact I swear he doesn’t know what he’s doing at all. His coffee is so strong, that the first time I had a cup I almost spit it out. The funny thing is, even though we all agreed that he sucked at it, none of us said anything because none of us were willing to beat him to the kitchen! Not today though, today we would have normal coffee because I was up at 7 am just so I could spend some quality time by myself. 

 

Alone time was hard to come by at the Backstreet House or as Howie likes to call it, “Casa De Backstreet Boys-ah.”  You have to accent the ‘ah’ at the end to really make it sound perfect.

 

I mean at least we each had our own rooms but believe it or not, they weren’t really set up to go hide in. They were kind of small. None of them had TV’s even. The one real plus was that most of them had their own bathrooms. It was like a moderate sized house with 3 master bedrooms and several smaller ones; Howie and Nick being the two who had to share a bathroom at the end of the hall.

 

I had forgotten what it was like to have to spend every waking moment with these guys. You had 5 grown men sharing one small space together 24/7. This is what it will be like though, when we really start up again. I mean maybe not sharing a house altogether, but just being in each other’s lives constantly. All up in each other’s business because there’s really nowhere else to be.

 

Towards the end of my time in the group, that was one of the hardest things for me to have to deal with. Lack of alone time, always with the same people and no privacy at all used to drive me crazy. We had the worst arguments over the dumbest things only because we were so sick of seeing each other’s faces.

 

I really hope that doesn’t happen again, although I’m sure it’s bound to. We’re only human. So far, after a week, there has been only a moderate urge to kill and just over little things like finding AJ’s nail polish all over the table, or the strong coffee, or the getting off track at the studio, etc... We surprisingly have all gotten along really well. No fights have happened, knock on wood.

 

We spent most of our waking time in the studio and then when we got home we found ourselves talking over a late dinner and then off to bed.  Because of the time difference, the only opportunity I had to talk to my family was late at night. I had a Skype conversation with Kris and Mason for almost three hours last night.  I can’t believe I’m up since I went to bed so late! It was worth every yawn and rub of the eyes that I will have to endure today.

 

God I really missed them. I mean we kept ourselves busy enough to not think about home a whole lot but there were times almost every day I would stop and think “Wow, Mason would really love seeing that,” or “I wish Kris was here for this!”  

 

I took a sip of my perfect coffee and contemplated whether I was hungry enough for breakfast yet. Looking around the room I shook my head when I saw the big hat we were all playing with at the studio the other day. We were really having a great time recording this album. We’d get a lot of work done but then one of us would find a way to break up the monotony by using props, like this stupid hat or the moustaches AJ and Brian bought at a random gift shop. What I found most funny is the fact that before any shenanigans ensued; they would all look over at me, waiting to see my reaction. Was I really that bad back then?

 

 I was laughing to myself just as Brian walked into the room.

 

 “You’re up early.”

 

I nodded at him, “Yup, alone time.”

 

He nodded in complete understanding. “I talked to Lee and Bay last night.”

 

“Nice. I was up really late talking to Kris and Mason too.”

 

“You made coffee?”

 

“Yup, there’s a whole pot! Help yourself!”

 

“Thanks, I’m making us all breakfast this morning.”

 

Oh, lord…let’s hope his cooking skills are better than his coffee making skills.

 

“Excellent.”

 

“Breakfast burritos!”

 

I nodded, “I think it still might be too early for the rest of the guys. You might want to hold off for a little while.”

 

He sat down beside me after grabbing his cup of coffee, “Good point. Howie and I are going to church this morning; you’re welcome to join us.”

 

“I think I’ll pass this time around, but thanks.”

 

“Sure.”

 

Surprisingly, Nick walked into the room, dressed in sweats and a hoodie. He kind of looked like he was either going to go out jogging or possibly to rob a bank. He seemed surprised to see us both sitting there this early in the morning.

 

“Morning.”

 

“Morning.” We both answered at the same time. He got a kick out of that.

 

“Why are you both up so early?”

 

“Alone time.”

 

“Church. What about you?”

 

I noticed how Brian didn’t extend his offer of going to church to Nick, too much of a heathen I guess.

 

“I’m going out jogging!”

 

Wow, I’m pretty good. At least he’s not robbing a bank.

 

“Alone? Do you think that’s wise?”

 

He was using one of the chairs to stretch his legs. “I think it’ll be safe.”

 

“That doesn’t sound too convincing, Nick.” I said, not really liking the idea all that much, but trying my best not to overdo it either. There were new rules and lines that we had to deal with and my over protective self, had to learn how to back down a bit. Nick was not a child anymore. He didn’t even act like one, well most of the time anyway. I had to avoid the nagging, as my wife so delicately put it last night during our conversation.

 

“You aren’t nagging them are you honey? Especially Nick. You aren’t being too naggish?”

 

After I made fun of her made up word, I assured her I was in fact, not being even close to naggish to any of them.

 

He switched legs and continued his stretch. “Well, I can’t be one hundred percent sure or anything but I’m going early enough that I think I’ll be safe.”

 

“I think you should bring Q.” Good, let Brian be the nag for once.

 

“Don’t you think it’s more dangerous to wake Q up then it would be to go out jogging alone? And besides I want to jog, not walk. Q would never be able to keep up with me.”

 

We both laughed at that because we knew it was true. God bless our incredibly out of shape bodyguard, although I swear he’s really AJ’s lover. Those two are always together. They are probably sleeping in the same bed even as we speak.

 

Brian let out a sigh and I laughed, because that’s pretty much what I wanted to do. I sipped my coffee instead, as my cousin shook his head, “Well, at least bring your cell phone with you. You never know kiddo, there are nuts in this world.”

 

“Yeah, I’m a Backstreet Boy AND a Carter, I think I know nuts.”

 

“True Dat homie.” I added in my ghetto fab voice, and yes I can have one of those too!

 

They both looked at me as if I were not me, then Nick continued, “Besides, do I go anywhere without my phone?”

 

He gave me a glance as a reminder that I took his phone away from him at our business meeting. “Just be safe and have a good jog!” I said, smiling at him and wondering if I should have offered to tag along. I can stand to exercise, but not today.  Kevin is not being a naggish buttinsky.

 

“Don’t stop and eat somewhere, I’m making us breakfast!” Brian yelled after him as he ran out the door.

 

I cracked up.

 

“What? I don’t want him to ruin his appetite.”

 

“He’s going out for a jog, Brian.”

 

“Yes, NICK is going out for a jog. Nick…”

 

“Okay, good point.”

 

He took another sip of his coffee and then stood up and headed for the kitchen, “I’ll leave you to your alone time while I make us some grub!” He lovingly pat my shoulder and left me alone.

 

Today was our first day off since we started the recording process. This first week has really flown by and gone extra smoothly. It’s almost scary how easy everything has been. Our writing and singing was on a different level then the last time we all did this. I couldn’t believe how incredible Nick sounded for one. We all were kind of in awe of him as he laid down most of his tracks. Howie was sounding pretty amazing too. Brian was having some difficulties with his pitch but his songs almost outweighed his vocal problems and they were problems and we were going to have to deal with them eventually, but for now, everything was smooth sailing.

 

It’s funny that on our first day off, we all decided to make plans to spend it together. That’s another thing that would have been completely different ten years ago. When we had a day off, the last way we’d want to spend it was with each other. Maybe it’s because our families weren’t here?  But even when that was the case, we’d all say see you tomorrow! And that would be that. We couldn’t wait to be apart from each other and now it seems like we can’t wait to see each other.

 

I would have totally scored an ‘aww…’ from the fans if they heard me say that.

 

“Morning Kev!”  I glanced over at Howie and nodded.

 

“I made the coffee this morning.”  

 

“Yes!” He ran over and grabbed a cup.

 

He sat down and pointed to the kitchen when he heard the racket coming from behind the door, “What’s going on in there?”

 

“Brian is making us breakfast.”

 

He slowly nodded, “Okay….AJ and Nick?”

 

“AJ is still sleeping I would imagine and Nick is out jogging.”

 

“With Q?”

 

I laughed and that was his answer.

 

“Well if some psycho fan kidnaps him, I call his singing parts!!”

 

I had just taken a sip of coffee when he said that and I ended up spitting it right out on the table.  

 

“This coffee is good, Kevin!” He said as he passed me a few paper towels to clean up my mess.   

 

Howie is a really funny guy. He has the best sarcastic and dry sense of humor and is known to say the funniest stuff right under his breath so that only those meant to hear it do. He is infamous for getting us all going during interviews. He would say something to mock the person interviewing us that they couldn’t hear but we could and that would of course start Nick giggling and in turn throw us all off! In the end, whenever you look back at those appearances, it looks as though its good old Howie just sitting there patiently waiting for the immaturity to end so we could continue on with what we were doing. Little did people know he was the grand instigator of it all.

 

I always had that look on my face too because unlike Howie, after having a good two or three second laugh, I was ready to roll. The other three it took too long to get them back on track.  Good lord that used to drive me crazy!

 

“That actually smells pretty good.” I looked up and agreed with Howie.

 

The smell of bacon and onions frying was starting to waft through the house, making my mouth salivate. I looked at my watch, hoping it was time for breakfast soon. On cue, Brian walked out of the kitchen and sat down, grabbing another cup of coffee. See? Excellent coffee made by me. Looks like I’ll have to make another pot before we eat.

 

“Breakfast’s almost ready.” 

 

“Smells great, Brian.” I nodded at my cousin.

 

“What smells fucking fantastic in here?” And… good morning, AJ, of course Q was trailing directly behind. See?

 

“I’m making us breakfast burritos. They’re in the oven.”

 

“Awesome, I’m starving!”

 

“This is Bay’s all-time favorite breakfast; I’m making it in his honor. I promised him I would last night.”

 

“Sweet!” He said grabbing a cup and grunting when he realized there wasn’t enough coffee left to make a whole cup. Funny, that never happens when Brian makes the coffee!

 

I jumped out of my seat and got to work on a second pot before Brian had a chance to. In the background, Howie and AJ were talking about the party they went to for Perez Hilton. I’m glad I didn’t have to go to that. He’s a douche. This was going to be another problem I was going to have to overcome now that I was back in the spotlight, keeping some of my opinions to myself. There were a lot of people I did not like in this industry. When I was not really participating, it was very easy for me to openly say so. As a Backstreet Boy that needs us to get back into the public eye, that could no longer happen. The hardest part by far would be working with The New Kids.

 

I shuddered at the thought. It sent chills of horribly bad singing up my spine.

 

When I showed up randomly at their concert, I had to act like it was the best thing since sliced bread. I had to act like they weren’t some of the biggest tools I have ever met in my life. Don’t get me wrong, some of them were nice but the overall vibe I got from them was not a good one. I’m glad the tour worked out for all of them together but looking down the road, I’m going to have to be heavily medicated if we choose to do to it again, which we probably will, makes the most business sense.

 

Heavily medicated!

 

The front door opened just as Brian brought out his plate of burritos. Nick came in all sweaty. I let out a little sigh of relief. See? He made it back in one piece, no nagging necessary. This time, at least.

 

“AH well…maybe next time.” Howie said under his breath so only I could hear him.

 

I chuckled.

 

As we sat around the table, I smiled at the scene. We were a family, but then again we always have been.

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hope you enjoyed! The next story will be at their Sunday dinner in the countryside! :O)