- Text Size +

 

Twenty minutes left.

            After that there would be no way out. The halls are clear. My own breathing is all I can hear. In the shadows I wait, with my heart pounding. This is my first assignment. If I fail, there'll be no others. There might be no more me.

"Come on," I whisper to myself.

            Down the hall a door opens. My target steps out and I raise my Kahr P9. I don't know who this man is, or what he did but that's not my problem. Still I hesitate. "Is it worth it?" I ask myself. It doesn't stop me for long though. I fire three times. Each time I can feel the bullets exploding from the gun. The second the last bullet leaves, I turn and bolt to the stairs.

Eighteen minutes left.

            Sweat flies off my palms as I drop the gun and race downward. Everything is a blur as I pick up my bag and rip it open. Taking only seconds to throw on a wig and a new shirt. The bag is dropped after I take two others things out of it. At the bottom of the stair case, I gently put in colored contacts. Once they're in I open the door and walk out.

Fifteen minutes left.

            I hold the Grach MP-443 loosely in my hands. The metal is cold and unwelcoming, but it will do the job I need it too. So far there's no need for it, but as I turn the corner the alarm sounds. Loud and high pitched it rings throughout the halls. Someone runs out of a nearby room. I lift the gun and shoot. Almost running now, I try and remember the way out. The halls are nothing more than a gigantic maze.

            My heart pounds faster. I can actually feel it beating in my chest trying to break free. More people come out. How they all got here, I have no idea. I shoot and make a break for it. The bullets are all gone now. The next person I see, I throw the gun at their face. I'll need it no longer.

Ten minutes left.

            I'm not a bad man. I didn't even really want this job. It's the money I want and need. This job is the only thing I could get with a dishonorable discharge. It pays well too. Just for this I'm being paid three million.

            Something flies past me fast. They've got guns too. I run faster now, zigzagging my way down the hall. I can see the escape in front of me. Bursting through the door, I'm hit with the cold night. Out in the parking lot, it's too dark to see me. Suddenly I fall to the ground. A burning feeling travels through my left leg. I've been hit, and just ten steps from my car. Knowing every minute is precious I rip my shirt and wrap it around the wound. As fast as I can I get into my car.

Six minutes left.

            I hit the accelerator and drive off into the night. I know what I did was wrong, but I needed the money. "That doesn't make it okay." A voice in my head tells me. I try to ignore it and focus on driving away from the building. Bullets continue to fly out my way. Even swerving around, I can't miss them all. Glass shatters and rains down into the car. Trying to avoid it all I duck. The car bounces and one side dips down. They hit a tire.  Gripping the wheel tighter I speed up. The gates are in front of me and closing. Clang! The sound of metal against metal carries threw the air as I run into the gates and keep going.

One minute left.

            The bomb's going to blow soon. I know it has to be almost twenty minutes. I slow the car down a little and rip off my seat belt. Trees fly past as I unlock the door and jump out into the brush. Tumbling, I land on the ground. Rocks and dirt fly into my face. Splash! The car hit the lake below, hopefully the guards follow it. I turn around and see a bright light of orange burst into the night. Bricks and pieces of metal are being tossed around. Smoke flows up and the flames lick at what's left. I pull my cell phone out and dial my boss.

"This is agent 64."

"How'd it go?"

"He's dead and the building is on fire now."

"Good job Nick. Your money is in the account. I expect you back in three days."

"No. I'm done."

            I end the call and throw the phone into the brush. They can't track me now. Slowly I stand and walk away. Nothing is worth another mans life.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Let me know what you think please! :) oh & thanks for reading!!!