- Text Size +

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 14

 

            When they pick up their luggage, Nick and AJ are both recognized.  Not surprising since it's LA.  With his arm firmly around Penelope, Nick waves to the fans as they walk out of the airport.

            Once in the car, AJ says, "You're holding up pretty well Penny. How you feeling?"

            She says, "It's kind of overwhelming. How do you stand it?"

            Nick chuckles and says, "Years of practice, umm, Penny?"

            She smiles and says, "Yeah, Penny."

            Nick says, "I don't know....I think you're always gonna be my Penelope."

            AJ groans and says, "Man, that's my sister, come on!"

            Penelope just laughs at them. Her laughter is short lived though. While the guys discuss the show and what songs AJ will sing, Penelope checks her phone for messages. There are three. All from Katrina.

            Seeing Nick and AJ engrossed in planning the show, she turns away and puts the phone to her ear to listen.  The first one is blank.  The second one says, "I hope you're happy with the trouble you've caused." This one causes tears to form in her eyes. The third says, "Well, now that you've embarrassed our family publicly, I hope you're happy with your NEW family! Honestly, Penelope, how can you let them publish pictures of that hideous face of yours?"

            Disconnecting from her voicemail, she pulls up the internet browser on her phone and does an internet search for Nick Carter. When the news story opens, there's a picture of her with Nick and AJ at the airport in New York with the caption "Nick Carter's New Girlfriend?"  She quickly reads the short story.

Nick Carter was sighted in NYC with a brunette with stunning green eyes. Sources state that the beautiful woman is Penelope Evans daughter of business tycoon Donald and Katrina Evans. Sources say Miss Evans recently had surgery on her face for undisclosed reasons. Backstreet Boys fans state that Nick's new girlfriend is extremely nice and pretty. They also noticed how happy Nick is when she's around. "I think she's a keeper." stated one of the fans who met Miss Evans. It seems like this one might be the one.

She re-reads it again; stunned one of the fans called her a keeper. She glances up, catching AJ and Nick watching her with confused looks on their faces. She says, "What?"

Nick says, "What's going on?"

She shakes her head and says, "Nothing.  Just checking messages."

AJ says, "Give it up, Penny. You're pale as a ghost. What's wrong?"

She shakes her head and says, "Nothing. I don't think. I'm ok. Don't let me interrupt your planning."

Nick says, "We aren't planning anything until you tell me what's wrong. Please?"

Feeling the effects of very little sleep, she snaps, "Nothing's wrong, I swear. Just...a message from my...Katrina. That's all. Let it go, ok?"

Nick and AJ stare at each other as she turns and looks out the window. She feels guilty for snapping, but how can she explain her shame? Shame that pictures of her surfaced and the only thing anyone can focus on is her face. She's so filled with self-loathing that Nick putting his arm around her startles her.

When she spins around to look at him, shame floods her body. He looks so hurt when he whispers, "Penelope."

She sighs and leans into him, hugging his neck. "I'm sorry, Nick," she whispers.

He squeezes her and says, "Don't let her get to you, Penelope. She's an evil woman."

She sighs and says, "It's not just her...I..." She slides away from him, absentmindedly rubbing her face.

AJ watches her.  "What did she say, Penelope?"

She hands AJ her phone and snuggles against Nick's chest. Nick watches as AJ looks at the screen, wondering why such a huge smile is covering his friend's face. AJ says, "Penelope, did you read this? Or just see the picture and freak out?"

Sighing deeply, she says, "I read it...but..."

Nick says, "Read what? What's going on?"

AJ says, "Hang on Nick. Penny, what did the messages say?" She shrugs so he takes it upon himself to listen to them. Nick can see anger bubbling up through AJ like a volcano about to blow. When AJ puts the phone down, he mutters, "Fucking bitch."

Nick's arm tightens around Penelope. "What?"

AJ hands Nick the phone, saying, "She's pissed that Penelope would embarrass her.  Dammit, Penny, you can't keep thinking you're a disappointment. You're not. You're incredible."

Nick looks at the article.  And smiles. AJ watches Nick, a smile lighting his own face. Penelope pulls back, staring at them both. With a frown on her face, she says, "What's so funny?"

Nick turns to her and says, "The whole world knows you're mine. They know I'm yours."

She shakes her head in bewilderment. "Nick, I just...this is..."

He puts his finger over her lips. "You're just beautiful, plain and simple.  You're nice and sweet, just like the fans said, and you're DEFINITELY a keeper. So who gives a flying fuck about what the wombat said? We're happy. We're together. We're in love. We have all we need."

Before she can say anything, AJ interjects, "Besides, even though Nick's an ugly SOB, you make a cute couple. Beauty and the Beast."

Nick flips AJ off, before turning to Penelope. "Don't over think it, Baby. We're finally back together and I'm THRILLED the fans know. Just...give them a chance...I swear, they aren't as bad as you're thinking."

Looking at AJ, she says, "What happens when they find out I'm your sister?"

He snorts, "Who cares? The important people are happy. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks."

She chews on her lip, still snuggled up against Nick. She can't help but worry.  Hopefully they are right and everything will be ok.

 

At the hotel, Nick and AJ are once again greeted by their ardent fans.  They both wave as Nick firmly has his arm around Penelope. Once in the elevator, AJ says, "Nick, maybe you should make a statement about Penelope... at least to the fans.  You know rumors fly if we don't keep them informed."

Nick says, "Yeah, social media can be a blessing and a curse." He turns to Penelope. "You ok with me telling the fans that yes, Penelope Evans is my girlfriend and I'm very happy?"

She can't help but smile. "No, I don't mind. But what about...my face?"

He says, "What about it? Do you want me to mention it?"

Startled by his nonchalant attitude, she sharply says, "NO! I mean...I don't want to have to relive..."

He says, "Penelope all I have to say is you had a scar removed. No one has to know how it got there. I'd never give those details to anyone. Ask AJ, I didn't even tell him when he asked. Baby, that's your story to tell."

She believes him. In her heart and soul she knows Nick is going to take care of her and love her no matter what. "Make your statement Nick. The sooner those women know they can't have you, the better."

He hugs her tightly and says, "You have nothing to worry about, Baby. I am yours, heart and soul."

She grins wickedly. "I do hope your body is included in the package."

AJ groans and slaps his hand over his eyes as Nick pushes her against the wall and grinds into her. "Would you two PLEASE wait till you're in your room? Geesh, I don't need to see you do that!"

Nick laughs, dropping his head to plant a loud kiss on Penelope's lips. "Sorry, Dude, your sister is HOT!"

AJ just laughs. When the elevator stops, he hugs Penelope and says, "You're gonna be ok, Sis.  Just don't let Bigfoot squish you."

Penelope giggles as they walk to their room. "You know what they say about men with big feet, don't you AJ?"

He groans and hits his head on the wall outside his room as Nick laughs. "Don't do that to me, Penny. My old heart can't take it!"

Nick clears his throat. "Old is the appropriate word. Later AJ."

 

Once in their room, Nick swings her up into his arms and twirls her around. She laughs with him, her heart soaring as he moves to the bed and lays her down, stretching out beside her. He rubs his nose against hers. "I've missed you, Penelope."

She slides her leg up over his, her tiny hand stroking his face. "I've missed you Nick. I don't think I can handle being away from you."

He kisses her gently. "You don't have to be, Penelope. You can go everywhere I go, if you want to. I want you with me. Day and night. All the time."

She plays with the hair at the nape of his neck. "You mean that, don't you Nick?"

Her question confuses him. "Of course I do. Penelope, I love you beyond all reason. My life begins and ends right here in your heart." When he places his hand on her chest, she gasps. "I can prove it to you."

She shakes her head. "You don't have to Nick. I've never...no one's ever loved me like this. I keep waiting to wake up and find you're just a dream."

He leans down slowly and sucks her lower lip into his mouth. She whimpers, feeling her body react. He lets it go and says with a raspy voice, "You're the dream Baby. My dream come true. Now...I want you. I want every inch of your body."

She wiggles underneath him, bringing her leg up the outside of his body. "I want you too, Nick. I always want you."

He smirks and her heart flip flops. "God I love you, Penelope!"

She traces his lips. "I love you too, Nick."

He lowers his head and when their lips meet, she knows that no matter what anyone else thinks, she and Nick are meant to be. She wraps her arms around him, pulling him onto her body. Nothing can tear them apart. Ever.

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Would love to know what you think!! :)